Omg, Audi A4 1.8t!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 01:40 PM
Masshole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Suspension + X-Chip means you go bye bye

Originally posted by Car_addict
.. and that's my 1.8T..ahahaha pleeze, come to my area, I'll find you more A4's than you could imagine that would dynamically destroy your CLS, in every aspect of performance.

-I am assuming yours is Type-S and '03.
Who are you talking to here? Mine is an '03, an '03 G35C which would chew your kraut ass up and spit it out all over the road. Wanna hit the twisties with me, pal?
Old 09-23-2003, 01:48 PM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Suspension + X-Chip means you go bye bye

.. and that's my 1.8T..ahahaha pleeze, come to my area, I'll find you more A4's than you could imagine that would dynamically destroy your CLS, in every aspect of performance.

-I am assuming yours is Type-S and '03.
If you were talking to me just hit me up in boston because I'm not afraid of a chipped A4! You can PM me whenever and I've run plenty of A4s....some more modded than yours others less. I hang out with plenty of audi folks and most are pretty cool shits. We actually have a couple here who are pretty damn knowledgeable and openminded.

As a matter or fact if you are in the area come out to import wars on Saturday at epping, NH! I know at least one A4 that will be there and can smoke me but thats cool. I have an 03 TLS btw.

"bring that shit to me meng!"
Old 09-23-2003, 01:49 PM
10th Gear

G35 is nice..

congrads on the '03 G35, I really like that vehicle. Just wait till next year, Audi's coupes are released and the TT is dropped.

What will this mean?

It will mean that you have a V-10 BI-TURBO coupe on your hands to figure out how to deal with. Not only will this thing rip your G35 a new rectal, your 35 would be spinnin in a ditch after the corners this thing can get through. Were talking about Air Suspension: 6 ride heights and 3 damnpness variables of adjustment. Paddle shifting, to ensure that this will shift quicker than the competition.

G35 is nice, right now... but "right now" in the minds of jap cars isn't the same as the German companies, who are JUST about to begin releasing their coupe lineups to destroy the japanese market.

Bring out the CLS, we'll see how it can handle...lol (wheels spin off launch, drift in the corners)
Old 09-23-2003, 01:50 PM
Masshole

Re: G35 is nice..

It will mean that you have a V-10 BI-TURBO coupe on your hands to figure out how to deal with. Not only will this thing rip your G35 a new rectal, your 35 would be spinnin in a ditch after the corners this thing can get through. Were talking about Air Suspension: 6 ride heights and 3 damnpness variables of adjustment. Paddle shifting, to ensure that this will shift quicker than the competition.
Oh yeah? Under 40K? I would tend to doubt that.
Old 09-23-2003, 01:54 PM
still a Masshole

congrads on the '03 G35, I really like that vehicle. Just wait till next year, Audi's coupes are released and the TT is dropped.

What will this mean?

G35 is nice, right now... but "right now" in the minds of jap cars isn't the same as the German companies, who are JUST about to begin releasing their coupe lineups to destroy the japanese market.

Bring out the CLS, we'll see how it can handle...lol (wheels spin off launch, drift in the corners)
hahaha, is that the coupe that you're gonna buy??? wtf? So where do you live son and will mommy let you come to the track on Saturday?

Todd, touche on the comeback in ramblings! I can't wait till oct. 12th! Hey you coming to import wars this saturday? I wanna see the G. Maybe we can have a meet on Sat Oct. 11th or Sunday before the game!
Old 09-23-2003, 01:55 PM
Masshole

Re: Re: G35 is nice..

Originally posted by ferizzo

Todd, touche on the comeback in ramblings! I can't wait till oct. 12th! Hey you coming to import wars this saturday? I wanna see the G. Maybe we can have a meet on Sat Oct. 11th or Sunday before the game!
God dammit!!! I'm in NJ this weekend and I'm going to be in NYC for Radiohead on the weekend of the 11th. Let's have a meet soon that I can actually come to....plan it around my schedule!!!
Old 09-23-2003, 02:01 PM
still a Masshole

Re: Re: Re: G35 is nice..

Originally posted by tmk70
God dammit!!! I'm in NJ this weekend and I'm going to be in NYC for Radiohead on the weekend of the 11th. Let's have a meet soon that I can actually come to....plan it around my schedule!!!
Well then give me your schedule damnit! Whats going on in between. I know you get together with these fockers Andy and Pete on occasion so how about letting another brova know when you get together! Next weekend is bad for me since I'll be in NYC.
Old 09-23-2003, 02:02 PM
Masshole

Re: Re: Re: Re: G35 is nice..

Originally posted by ferizzo
Well then give me your schedule damnit! Whats going on in between. I know you get together with these fockers Andy and Pete on occasion so how about letting another brova know when you get together! Next weekend is bad for me since I'll be in NYC.
Any time after the 11th of Oct. should be fine. Next weekend would have been good, maybe Pete and Andy and I will have a meet to spite you while you're gone!!! :P
Old 09-23-2003, 02:04 PM
6SPDCLS

Originally posted by Siberian
Ha, really, I just had to take a shot at "DDD type S" for his ignorant comments about the A4. I don't have anything against Acura cars.

No hard feelings...

Sorry for trolling! Carry on...
hahah fuck, i'm ignorant now? hey, i don't do the pricing on these cars...for fucks sake, if you feel as though you got a deal off that particular AUDI model line for over $32,000, then you are fucking dumb period!

Damn, LOCK THIS THREAD UP NOW!
Old 09-23-2003, 02:06 PM
still a Masshole

Don't lock it yet because I wanna know if Car_addict is up to the challenge...assuming he lives anywhere in the Epping vicinity! I know he is still on this board so I hope he replies!
Old 09-23-2003, 02:07 PM
still a Masshole

Damn you Todd!
Old 09-23-2003, 02:12 PM
It's not over yet

this ignant *pun intended* fool is probalby talking about the gallardos v10 engine. How much do u think a v10 audi would run for, certeainly not less than the s4 and the s4 is already over $40k. Boy you truly don't know when to shut the hell up. Go read a book and try to edumacate yourself. Oh and just so you know, ur v10 audi will probably still have problems keeping up with a current edition nissan skyline GTR (a v10 audi will probably cost the same) . Hope u don't end up wraped around a pole , because with your brain power you might just get confused between turning right and turning left.
Old 09-23-2003, 02:46 PM
still a Masshole

I guess he doesn't want to race too bad!
Old 09-23-2003, 02:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Ray Khan
good points scalbert....how many people here do you think know what 5/10. 8/10, 10/10 means? Handling is about how the car responds at it's limits...I would hope people who have not been on a road course or even an autox don't know about the limits of their cars.
You bring up a good point...

Neither a CL-S or a A4 are considered good handling cars in my book. A lot of people think that by driving on the street, they can determine the limits of the car. You aren't even coming close to approaching any type of REAL limits on the street, when it comes to handling. Heck, most people at the track I see are only running about 85% of the cars limits
Old 09-23-2003, 03:18 PM
Learn to swim

What will this mean?

G35 is coming out with AWD in 04'. It will also be adjustable ratio... 50/50.. 0/100.
Still thousands less than an Audi
VW Passat 4-motion = A6.. again thousands less
Oh.. and my "honda" is a rear throw and yes it does mulch anything that gets in my way... this includes but isn't limited to Audi's
Old 09-23-2003, 03:34 PM
It's not over yet

and don't forget nissan is also rumored to be working on a new g35 based gtr coupe. Some people are so ignorant they think their cars are the best thing since sliced bread. Ignant, inbred kraut lover( open minded, smart bmw, audi owners not included)
Old 09-23-2003, 03:49 PM
Pro

Car addict....which A4 is in the 11's? I know that there are 5 or 6's guy's in the 12's, but only 1 guy close to 11's and he's in Australia. If you are free saturday, come to import wars and race with the A4's and Acuras there. I've only seen a handful of stock turbo cars post 14 second time slips..only the guys that realy know how to get out of the hole.

As far as the AWD argument goes, the dui quattro is really a safety minded system, definitely not the performance an electronics center diff will offer like the nissan, subaru and mitsubishis out there. Dont get me wrong, AWD is great, but it's not magic and it steals power after the launch.

Hopefully Ferizzo wil put up some good times this weekend. I'm hopign to se some cool temps and at least a 14.7@97 mph out of him. I would like to break into the 13s with pump fuel. I think I have the power to doit, just need to get a decent launch and hit all my shifts...I never seem to get it al right in a single run. I'm sure the single tree is going to mess with me a bit too.
Old 09-24-2003, 01:13 AM
Race Director

Originally posted by scalbert
Agreed, which brings up a point; do some people here know what handling really is?? Or do they assume a cars ultimate ability solely based on a perception or general feel??

I will not pretend that the CL-S is an incredible handling vehicle; it is not. It is a touring coupe and does that job very well. But when needed it can doing fairly well but is harder to drive fast through the turns. It takes a more skilled driver to get the most out of it. Whereas my E46 BMW was easy to drive fast and to a lesser extent, the A4’s I have tracked. Because a car is easier to drive fast does not mean it is ultimately faster. The feel associated with the CL-S may cause people to back off sooner than they would in the other mentioned vehicles thus limiting the potential.

So concerning the lapping of A4’s by a CL-S; this would mean that the A4 drivers were very limited in their ability or Seattle CL-S is a very good driver. Or maybe that the difference in vehicles handling prowess isn't as great as some make it out to be. It just takes a better driver to utilize what the CL-S has available.

Oh, and to those stating that you need to own both cars in order to know need to hold it a bit. First, the CL-S6 is very different than the automatic counterpart so according to the statements made, no one here has both and cannot compare. Lastly, and as I have said before, taking an on-ramp at 20 MPH over the posted limit is not a way to test the ability, take it to a track or they might consider restraining from brash comments.
I didnt see a member that claimed they owned a CL-S6 as well as an A4.
Old 09-24-2003, 02:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by amirsafdari
I didnt see a member that claimed they owned a CL-S6 as well as an A4.
Exactly, but blanket statements have been made about the CL-S handling which would include the 6-Speed with HLSD. Possibly these statements should have been more specific or withheld. Otherwise comparisons are based on assumption; not experience.
Old 09-24-2003, 03:17 AM
Masshole

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car addict....which A4 is in the 11's? I know that there are 5 or 6's guy's in the 12's, but only 1 guy close to 11's and he's in Australia. If you are free saturday, come to import wars and race with the A4's and Acuras there. I've only seen a handful of stock turbo cars post 14 second time slips..only the guys that realy know how to get out of the hole.

As far as the AWD argument goes, the dui quattro is really a safety minded system, definitely not the performance an electronics center diff will offer like the nissan, subaru and mitsubishis out there. Dont get me wrong, AWD is great, but it's not magic and it steals power after the launch.

Hopefully Ferizzo wil put up some good times this weekend. I'm hopign to se some cool temps and at least a 14.7@97 mph out of him. I would like to break into the 13s with pump fuel. I think I have the power to doit, just need to get a decent launch and hit all my shifts...I never seem to get it al right in a single run. I'm sure the single tree is going to mess with me a bit too.
I'd like to see him at Epping, too. I like A4s, and I love my CL-S. I like G35s, too. I'll take on an A4...won't be the first time.
Old 09-24-2003, 05:03 AM
Pro

Pete...you gong saturday? if you aren't working...I know a bunch of us are going out saturday night. Even if you are working, come out after.
Old 09-24-2003, 05:10 AM
still a Masshole

Pete...you gong saturday? if you aren't working...I know a bunch of us are going out saturday night. Even if you are working, come out after.
Yeah Pete, and bring that chick with the fake boobies!!! Daddy Like!
Old 09-24-2003, 05:11 AM
Pro

Fred stay out of this, I don't think she is looking for a married man anyway...maybe I'll invite your wife to some out too.
Old 09-24-2003, 05:16 AM
still a Masshole

Why you cock blocking??? Hater!
Old 09-24-2003, 05:17 AM
Masshole

I'm not going to be around....again.
Old 09-24-2003, 05:23 AM
Pro

if this is going to be a swordfight, i'm afriad you are unarmed.
Old 09-24-2003, 05:32 AM
still a Masshole

What, now you are pulling a Mike and calling Dibs....weaksauce! Why don't I whip out for you...yeah, right on your forehead!
Old 09-24-2003, 05:35 AM
Pro

your balls would have to be touching my nose for you to be able to hit my forehead...but no thanks
Old 09-24-2003, 05:40 AM
Suzuka Master

What was this thread about.
Old 09-24-2003, 05:53 AM
still a Masshole

Scalbert, you know you want some! :wackit:

feeling frisky today!
Old 09-24-2003, 05:55 AM
Suzuka Master

I imediately closed my browser and shut the computer down as I became terrified by that last post.
Old 09-24-2003, 07:22 AM
Race Director

Exactly, but blanket statements have been made about the CL-S handling which would include the 6-Speed with HLSD. Possibly these statements should have been more specific or withheld. Otherwise comparisons are based on assumption; not experience.
the same can be said for the A4.

i wonder how many of the A4's that were brought up in this discussion actually were the B6 model, and actually were quattro and actually had the sports package. A lot more is riding on the other side.
Old 09-24-2003, 07:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by amirsafdari
i wonder how many of the A4's that were brought up in this discussion actually were the B6 model, and actually were quattro and actually had the sports package.
That I can't answer. But I am speaking about one which I am looking out my office window at which I have tracked and meets the above criteria. But regardless, no one was debating the A4’s handling ability. I was pointing out the possible misinformation concerning the CL-S.

But this goes back to my previous statement; does the feel on the road actually dictate the ultimate performance?? The improvements made to the B6 platform didn't transform the vehicle significantly in its ultimate road holding capability. What it did was allow for a better and more controlled ride with the same or better abilities. This can often give the illusion of greater capability because it inspires confidence.

Take for example the Viper and Z06 Vette. Quite often the average driver can get better lap times in the Z06. But in the hands of a pro the Viper will turn better times. The Vette is easier to driver faster but doesn't posses greater capability.

I guess my point is that the overall ability of the A4 is being stretched. I do agree that it is a fine vehicle and can handle. But that handling ability is made easier and does so in a way to inspire confidence to push the car harder; more so than the CL. It is all too easy to make broad statements about handling as it is harder to test; whereas power and acceleration is easy to show. I suggest that anyone discussing these matters and who are confident in the ability take it to an auto-x or road course for validation.
Old 09-24-2003, 08:09 AM
Pro

Scalbert, I believe there has been a dramatic improvement in the handling of the new A4. So again, as we all discuss this, it is important to specify exactly the cars we are comparing. The original post refers to the new A4 if I read it correctly. The only new chasis A4 I've driven was a 2.0 FWD in europe. It didn't have the sport package and it was less than thrilling in all aspects of driving. But from what everyone I've talked to has said (about the 1.8T and 3.0 with sport package), is it's up there with the 3 series. Maybe this is a bit much, especially coming from mostly Audi enthusiasts, but even magazines say the new chasis is far better than the old chasis...especially in the case of the S4 which was really a poorly balanced car. People equate it to the old chasis by saying the non sport B6 A4 is on par with the B5 A4 sport package, and the sport package B6 A4 is far better than the non sport B6/B5 sport. The knock on the B6 platform is what this original thread was about...it's a heavy pig for a small car and underpowered stock. I agree with you 100% tho that what most people are going to be fooled by the comfort at which they hit their own limits in each car, not the car's true limits and balance. Very big difference for most people although they won't admit it.
Old 09-24-2003, 08:27 AM
Suzuka Master

From what I have seen the pure numbers are not much greater when it comes to skid and slalom numbers and lap times. But the ability to turn those numbers is vastly improved. The composure is nearing that of the BMW 3-series with sport suspension (but not quite). Although it was a greater leap than between the E36 and E46 chassis, it is still similar.

But yea, taking it to 8/10 in my wife's old E46 328i (with sport suspension) was fun and did not take all too much concentration; whereas the CL took every bit of concentration and control when approaching 7/10th and beyond. I could somewhat keep up at times but it wasn't quite there all of the time unless I took the turn perfectly.

If and when making hot laps I preferred the slower BMW over the CL-S. I could drive harder longer without feeling tired and worn out. But in simple runs the CL-S didn't fair as bad as some would make it out to be; it was just harder to do so.
Old 09-24-2003, 09:05 AM
Pro

Road Atlanta? How did times compare? The CLS probably made up a bit of time in the straights? What tires were on the cars? What is the status of your car now? I am headed to Macon for work next week or the week after, I wouldn't mind seeing what you have done if you have anything to show at this point.
Old 09-24-2003, 09:36 AM
Suzuka Master

I haven't officially tracked this CL-S, I had traded in for the 6-Speed a while back. We did go on some chase runs in the mountains in the years before which were interesting. On the tighter sections whoever was in the BMW, or A4, would begin to pull away slowly. But once the road opened up the CL-S could catch and if the road permitted, overtake. But on higher speed turns it was interesting that the CL-S was not at all loosing ground and in places gaining or leaving; possibly due to the longer wheel base. I would have loved to pit the CL-S6 against the BMW in the tighter turns again. Not only would the additional power helped overtake quicker but the HLSD is great in tight turns once under power. It would have helped to close, but not eliminate, the deficit.

Had I been able to get on Road Atlanta concurrently I am sure the results would have been similar to what I saw on the higher speed areas in the mountains. The back stretch is very long and would allow for the CL-S to stretch its legs. The times at the track have typically been in the 2:05 – 2:10 range. I really want to get over to Birmingham and try out the new track there…

I have my CL-S6SC right now with blower and headers for power. For handling I have the Comptech springs and sways along with AVSES100 tires. That is it right now. The BMW is gone now making room for the RX300 (we recently had twin girls) which I despise but the double stroller wouldn't begin to fit in the 3-Series.

Macon huh, you flying into Atlanta I assume?? Macon is about 1.5 - 2 hours from me; I live on the northwest side of town and Macon is south towards the center of the state. If you are up in the Atlanta area drop me a note; I'll let ya take the CL-S6Sc for a spin.
Old 09-24-2003, 10:22 AM
Pro

Cool Scalbert.....I know Macon is a stretch, but depending on how things go, I might end up spending a night in Atlanta in which meeting up might work out. I'll PM you when I have a better idea of my plans. Thanks.
Old 09-24-2003, 10:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Sounds good, BTW, what are you doing in Macon?? I've never been too fond of that town.
Old 09-24-2003, 10:43 AM
Suzuka Master

But yea, taking it to 8/10 in my wife's old E46 328i (with sport suspension) was fun and did not take all too much concentration; whereas the CL took every bit of concentration and control when approaching 7/10th and beyond. I could somewhat keep up at times but it wasn't quite there all of the time unless I took the turn perfectly.
That sounds about right. I tracked a 330i sport and it was amazinging balanced. The only problem I had was the understeer. My Maxima is a handful sometimes while corning because of its improper balance, something that effects the CL-S also. My experience with a FWD car is that you have to trail brake to rotate the vehicle a bit, or it will just understeer, which results in slow times.

BTW...This arguement over which car handles better is pointless. The driver is what matters in road racing. I hate to break it to you, but unless you get to a track, you are really not coming close to the limits of the vehicle.

Quick Reply: Omg, Audi A4 1.8t!!!!!!!!!!!!