The Official Motorcycles/Scooters Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011 | 07:29 AM
AZ Community Team

Like everyone else I highly recommend a MSF class/course, it will improve you as a rider and also decrease your risks in riding. I started with a Honda 500 Interceptor and never left, I've had occasional yearnings and one deposit (CBR900RR) for something more powerful but have stuck with my baby'cepter since they are a blast to ride on twisty roads.

A 250 or 500 twin are both good starter bikes. As others have said look for a good condition used one and once you get confotable move up to something larger.

If you're mature enough and have some respect then maybe a 600 sportbike would also work first time out. The key thing is having respect for the power, most are in the 80-120HP range and weight ~400 pounds. That's the thing I've always liked about sportbikes is they are light and nimble.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 07-20-2011 at 07:34 AM.
Old 07-21-2011 | 07:20 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Costco
I've really been itching for a motorcycle.... not yet though. Of the few "dangerous" things I've wanted/wanted to do in high school (tattoo, piercings, assorted illegal things), a motorcycle is one of the very few things I still want badly.

Any of you guys start off with a 250 and move up from there? What was your opinion of going with a 250 instead of a 600 or higher displacement bike? My friend had a Suzuki 500 V-twin and he hated it after a few months.... but he is a speed addict. His next bike after that was an R1 but he's settled down to an R6. He admits he misses the power though. I've heard similar things from others.

I've yet to hear anyone I personally know say (I'm so glad I started off with a 250) though I know many of you have.... my ears (eyes) are wide open.

I am not the type to do stupid things, but I feel like starting off with a 250 would help me master the basics since I can get closer to the limits of the bike safely as opposed to trying it on a 600cc sportbike. Nothing stupid of course, but I'm sure a 250 is plenty fun in it's own way. I could say a new-ish Ninja 250R is cheap too, but there are plenty of decent used bikes out there for $3-4k. Better fuel economy? I'm grasping at straws here....

I'm rambling on as usual, but my question is will I be missing out on anything if I go straight to a 600 (i.e. a CBR F4i) as opposed to starting off with a 250/similar bike? I definitely like power, but in a slow-as-balls commuter car like a stock automatic Civic, I can still have fun in my own way.
I started out with a 600RR as my first streetbike (I grew up on dirtbikes and fourwheelers as my foundation, even though they're completely different). However, I would recommend the baby Ninja 250 for ANYONE starting out on the road. I was very comfortable with my 600 and didn't doubt myself, but I feel like the 250 would have given me a better foundation for the street. I'm pretty good on a bike, but I know if I had started out on something easier I would be much better. I've since sold my 600, but I'm considering getting a 250 just to solidify my fundamentals. The best way to reach your potential (which I want to do on the track) is to be comfortable. The nice thing about the 250's is it's basically a no-risk buy. You can purchase a used one and sell it a year or two later with a very small hit. Starting on the 250 is really a win/win situation.

Also, I can't recommend the MSF safety course highly enough. DO NOT even think about skipping out on it! It doesn't matter how much experience you have I believe it's very beneficial.

Originally Posted by juniorbean
Also, little (literally)sneak peek on the purchase I am finalizing ...
If you get that I will hate you!

Old 07-21-2011 | 08:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Alright all... well, don't get too mad at me just yet. I may be completely fvcked:

https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/need-some-advice-may-have-been-scammed-seller-fl-%2A%2Aupdate-post-30%2A%2A-826940/
Old 07-21-2011 | 11:50 AM
AZ Community Team

^ hope that has a happy ending

On the 250 Ninja, another rider I know just bought a used one (2009?) and he loves it. He uses it as his spare bike to his classic 71 BMW R-65 and 69 Triumph 650 which can be temperamental. We were out riding, and I can say it can keep up in even 75-80MPH traffic on the road and handle/stops really well.
Old 07-22-2011 | 12:25 AM

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm definitely taking an MSF course before I even take a look at a bike... I was indecisive at the time (~3 years ago) since I kept flip-flopping between "I'm gonna get a bike this year" and "I'll get one some time in the future" and "maybe I never will". I regret it now, but it's not too late! I just wish I took it before I turned 21 for the lower cost. Now that itch is worse than ever.

Just about 3 years ago, I rode my friend's Ninja 650 for a good half hour once in a parking lot, though it doesn't necessarily count as experience.... I think it was plenty enough bike for me. I only got up to 4th and edged towards 50mph... far from fast, but it was one of the funnest experiences of my life. The only other 2-wheeled motor vehicles I'd ridden before that were electric scooters that topped out at 25mph, if that.

I'm a small guy, so I think I'll look fine on a 250R my friends are more of the speed-freak type than I am.... I think I'll be fine on a 250. The MSF course will tell me what I need to know. You guys are right again in that if I get bored of it, they have insane resale value.

At least in this stage of my potential riding career, I prefer something I can toss around instead of something that fast. I'm feel like I'm mature enough at least driving-wise to handle even a literbike, BUT I have no desire to whatsoever, and I mean that with every bone in my body. Maybe after several years of riding under my belt I'd toy with the idea, but right now it still scares me. Even if I had the maturity of a wise old monk and the reflexes of a pro rally car driver, the lack of seat time deters me.
Old 07-22-2011 | 12:39 AM

Funny thing is, despite only riding a motorcycle once, I've already had my first drop

The entire half hour of riding, I was fine. I got the hang of taking off within my first few tries (IMO a hand/wrist-modulated clutch is easier than your whole leg/ankle/foot) and had a rough feel for turning and even downshifted a couple of times... very nervously. Experience with driving a manual-trans car helped a lot.

What got me was when I was done and was pulling up to my friends waiting. I was hunting for neutral but ended up in first, then second, then first again.... of course by the time I slowed to below 5 mph I was still in first... it slowly started tipping over and I was holding on to 450 lbs of dead weight. I tried preventing it from falling (I know, bad move) out of instinct and it scraped the fairing, though I managed to slow it down before it touched pavement. It put a huge damper on the whole thing but my friend seemed ok with it....
Old 07-22-2011 | 05:37 AM
Pro

^ Haha, no offense to you, but that's why I never let people, even people I trusted, ride my bike. There's just WAY too much margin for error and if something happens to my bike I want it to be done by me. Also, I didn't want the responsibility of someone else getting hurt on my bike. Even when I sold it I wouldn't let anyone test drive it. They were welcome to inspect it and test it out any way possible except for getting on it and riding.

It sounds like you're in the right mindset with getting your new bike. I would definitely go with the 250 Ninja. It's SOOO much easier and more beneficial to learn how to ride a slow bike fast than to learn how to ride a fast bike fast. I promise you won't regret it. I have quite a bit of seat time and I'm a fairly proficient rider and I still plan to pick up a 250 Ninja some day so that I can really be able to push a superbike to its potential (on the track). In my opinion, probably about 5% of motorcyclist are skilled and experienced enough to push a superbike/sportbike to its limits and do it the right way. I'd love to be one of those guys.

Plus, the great thing about the 250 Ninja is that in a year or two you can upgrade and the hit is minimal! Good luck!
Old 07-22-2011 | 06:29 AM
J M U ... DUUUKEESSSS

Originally Posted by jsonkimz
^ Haha, no offense to you, but that's why I never let people, even people I trusted, ride my bike. There's just WAY too much margin for error and if something happens to my bike I want it to be done by me. Also, I didn't want the responsibility of someone else getting hurt on my bike. Even when I sold it I wouldn't let anyone test drive it. They were welcome to inspect it and test it out any way possible except for getting on it and riding.

It sounds like you're in the right mindset with getting your new bike. I would definitely go with the 250 Ninja. It's SOOO much easier and more beneficial to learn how to ride a slow bike fast than to learn how to ride a fast bike fast. I promise you won't regret it. I have quite a bit of seat time and I'm a fairly proficient rider and I still plan to pick up a 250 Ninja some day so that I can really be able to push a superbike to its potential (on the track). In my opinion, probably about 5% of motorcyclist are skilled and experienced enough to push a superbike/sportbike to its limits and do it the right way. I'd love to be one of those guys.

Plus, the great thing about the 250 Ninja is that in a year or two you can upgrade and the hit is minimal! Good luck!
Completely agree
Old 07-22-2011 | 07:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Funny thing is, despite only riding a motorcycle once, I've already had my first drop
And that's another reason why it makes more sense to get a Ninja 250 or similar to start on. For new riders it's not really so much an "if" they're going to drop their bike, but more like "when".

I got lucky on mine. I was pulling it into my 3rd garage bay but it was full of boxes as we were declutering the house. So it was a tight squeeze. I had the clutch in but was still in gear and kind of clutch walking it into the spot. My foot slipped a bit on some cardboard on the ground and I released the clutch. Not all the way, but enough. The bike jerked forward so I pulled the clutch in and hit the brakes, but too late, momentum was already taking it down. Luckily with all of the boxes around I just kind of tipped into them. I was able to get off the bike and pick it up before it fell over any more. So I got lucky on my first drop. If there wasn't a ton of boxes around, it would have gone over easy.

I also almost dropped the Aprilia. I was moving it into the house, but was going up a little hill by the deck to get onto the deck itself, then into the house. I had to roll/walk it back a bit to get some momentum to get over the lip and as I was doing so my left foot slipped (ground was a little wet) and the bike started going. I jumped off the bike and used all the strength I could to catch it and keep it from going over. To this day I have no idea how I did it, but I did... and it never touched the ground.

So yeah, stuff happens... so don't sweat it. But this is why I never even ask my friends if I can ride their bike. Don't want to be responsible for anything. Oh yeah, and no one rides mine either
Old 07-22-2011 | 08:21 AM
AZ Community Team

+1, my 500 Interceptor was crashed by a friend of mine when we swapped bikes on a ride together. Dumb thing for me to do, since the bike had never been crashed before or since.

Originally Posted by jsonkimz

Old 07-22-2011 | 08:27 AM
AZ Community Team

Happens to the best of us, I've only dropped my bike once when I pulled up to a gas pump in the rain. With the oil/antifreeze soaked payment when I put my left foot down it started to slide out from under me. Pretty soon I was doing a split with my bike in the middle. Fortunately it all happened slowly so all that happened was some small scraps on the alternator cover and left muffler.

Don't worry about it, just get used to the rhythm and flow of riding.

The entire half hour of riding, I was fine. I got the hang of taking off within my first few tries (IMO a hand/wrist-modulated clutch is easier than your whole leg/ankle/foot) and had a rough feel for turning and even downshifted a couple of times... very nervously. Experience with driving a manual-trans car helped a lot.

What got me was when I was done and was pulling up to my friends waiting. I was hunting for neutral but ended up in first, then second, then first again.... of course by the time I slowed to below 5 mph I was still in first... it slowly started tipping over and I was holding on to 450 lbs of dead weight. I tried preventing it from falling (I know, bad move) out of instinct and it scraped the fairing, though I managed to slow it down before it touched pavement. It put a huge damper on the whole thing but my friend seemed ok with it....
Old 07-23-2011 | 03:44 AM

I completely understand and feel the same way, no offense taken. I felt real shitty about it afterwards. I was completely surprised when he actually offered me to try it out.

Even worse was when he let one of his close friends ride the Ninja 650 some time after letting my ride it. The guy went over a speed bump funny, accidentally gave it a jolt of throttle and high-sided it. My friend took the insurance payout and got himself a GSX-R 750
Old 07-25-2011 | 06:22 AM
Pro

^ That seems like a pretty good trade off, I guess. I can think of worse outcomes to that scenario.

My one and only drop came in my yard... In college, I parked my bike on the concrete patio behind my house, but I had to drive down the side yard to get it there. Well, it's AMAZING how little traction sport bike tires have on wet grass. I didn't think I could have been driving any slower and the bike just completely went out from under me... no time to react, try to catch, anything... Luckly the only damage done was a little bit of dirt and grass stuck in some crevices. Nothing a good cleaning couldn't fix. I got away lucky.

I won't even get into my dirtbike drops...
Old 07-26-2011 | 11:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
^ hope that has a happy ending
Looks like it may: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=826940

If so, I'll snap some pics tonight and put an update in Car Talk
Old 07-26-2011 | 01:28 PM
J M U ... DUUUKEESSSS

Congrats!
Old 08-16-2011 | 11:22 AM
Senior Moderator

A little something something we did at work.

http://ind-style.com/2011/08/15/a-di...t-kind-of-bmw/

[/QUOTE]
Old 08-19-2011 | 08:47 PM
Land of Pleasant Living

Just recently got my fixer-upper 04 ninja 250 all fixed up. I took the MSF course and still practice in a local parking lot a little. I've probably only put about 5 hours on it total, all on 25-40 mph roads with few stoplights and stop signs. I'm still feeling quite awkward at times and obviously need a lot of practice. I think my biggest problem is downshifting, and I don't think it helps that this is my first experience with a manual transmission.
How long did it take you guys to feel like you were ready to just go out and ride without having to constantly think about what you're doing?
Old 08-19-2011 | 09:49 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Originally Posted by shnee
Just recently got my fixer-upper 04 ninja 250 all fixed up. I took the MSF course and still practice in a local parking lot a little. I've probably only put about 5 hours on it total, all on 25-40 mph roads with few stoplights and stop signs. I'm still feeling quite awkward at times and obviously need a lot of practice. I think my biggest problem is downshifting, and I don't think it helps that this is my first experience with a manual transmission.
How long did it take you guys to feel like you were ready to just go out and ride without having to constantly think about what you're doing?

I didn't exactly keep track of the time, but I'd say it was between 1-2 months after my first road ride. For me it wasn't about awkwardness, it was about confidence. Confidence that the bike will do what I tell it, and confidence in my ability to tell the bike the right thing to do.

With that said, everybody is different. I have been riding dirt bikes and driving MT my entire life, so it was a transition. For you, it may take a little longer since this is your first MT experience. I would say be patient and keep doing what you are doing until you feel a new level of confidence. It will come and you will know.
Old 08-19-2011 | 09:53 PM
I disagree with unanimity

I like everything on that S1000RR except the neon green. Doesn't flow with the rest of the paint scheme, IMO. Great custom job though. I'm sure the owner is very pleased.
Old 08-20-2011 | 06:47 AM
J M U ... DUUUKEESSSS

Originally Posted by shnee
I was extremely cautious when I got my first motorcycle. I spent my first full riding season practicing and riding around industrial parks. I only went out on major roads a handful of times. I was still scared shitless each time I rode and also had troubles learning how to downshift. I was always tense and had a lesson learned during each trip.

It wasn't until my second season when I started feeling really comfortable and things became more natural. The biggest factor was riding with friends. I felt like I was more visible and "safe" in traffic when riding with a group. When I picked up the GSXR, things came more naturally as well. It was definitely a lot more refined compared to the SV650s I started out with.

People have different experiences that may contribute to their comfort levels when riding. I recommend taking your time, being cautious, and not doing anything out of your comfort zone.
Old 08-24-2011 | 03:00 PM
Land of Pleasant Living

Well as far as confidence goes, I went riding the other night and really felt comfortable/bored with the same places I had been going. I ended up going through downtown, across bridges, around hilly winding roads, and on the highway. I felt great, but obviously still very cautious. But I found myself doing things more naturally and confidently, not thinking too much about what I was doing and instead just doing it. I think a few more rides like that and I will be on my way to completely comfortable riding. I've only been riding late at night when there is little traffic, so my next goal is to ride comfortably during the day among more traffic.
Also, my girlfriend dropped the bike in the driveway the other day. A bent rear brake level just needed a little pull to get it back out, and now it's fine (save some scratches).
Old 09-20-2011 | 08:47 PM
Banned

How to ruin a hayabusa...

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/mcd/2608606433.html
Old 09-21-2011 | 03:26 PM
10th Gear

Recently came here for some info on my 04 TL. Great forum with tons of information. I'm more of a bike guy, so I had to search for the MC thread. Here are my R1's. I'd list all my mods, but I don't want to bore you all. lol

Sorry for the shitty quality, most of these are cell phone pics.

Old 09-21-2011 | 03:35 PM
10th Gear

I also kinda have a thing for helmets.

Old 09-21-2011 | 09:21 PM
J M U ... DUUUKEESSSS

Dude, where are you in Fairfax? I live in Chantilly, we should meet up and ride.

on the R1s. Love the Akra dual exhausts. You hit up Summit for your track days?
Old 09-22-2011 | 08:50 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by SHYUperman
Dude, where are you in Fairfax? I live in Chantilly, we should meet up and ride.

I'm right by the government center / Fairfax Corner. I work in Chantilly, too. I don't ride on the street much, but I might be down for a ride. Are you on dcsportbikes.net?

Thanks! Yep - I usually do Summit because it's close. I plan to be there on Oct 10th for my last track day of the year, weather permitting. I just bought a trailer to tow behind the TL so I don't have to bum rides off people anymore. Maybe I'll venture out further next season.

Old 09-22-2011 | 09:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Sweet setup and welcome to the forum!!
Old 09-22-2011 | 09:30 AM
10th Gear

Sweet setup and welcome to the forum!!
Thanks!
Old 09-22-2011 | 01:44 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by SHYUperman

Hey Dan - tried to reply to your PM, but apparently I don't have access to PM's for another 2 weeks or so. I can e-mail my reply, or post it here.
Old 11-03-2011 | 09:45 PM
Pro

I just bought a CBR250R. This is not my first bike, I've had SV650, ZRX1200, ZX9 and after a 4 year gap with no bike I wanted to get back into it.

I choose the 250r because of it WEIGHT. Lighter is really really fun, that little thing is so nimble and flickable.
Old 11-04-2011 | 07:08 AM
Senior Moderator

^ That's awesome. Do you have pics?

I've been thinking about picking up another 250 for around town use and using the Ducati for rides and meets. I miss my Ninja 250... that thing was a blast and I could keep up with, and at times outpace, larger bikes in the twisties...
Old 11-04-2011 | 12:28 PM
Pro

^ That's awesome. Do you have pics?

I've been thinking about picking up another 250 for around town use and using the Ducati for rides and meets. I miss my Ninja 250... that thing was a blast and I could keep up with, and at times outpace, larger bikes in the twisties...
I pick it up in about 10 days, had to order a helmet in xxl cause all the regular size helmets couldnt fit my glasses, sunglasses. There is no room to wiggle it in.

Around town nothing can beat a 250, I remember riding around town in my 900cc ZX9, to me= it wasnt fun, way too heavy and no where to let it rip.

Oh yeah, I got the 2011 CBR250R.

Prices for 600cc sportbikes are over 10k, I have no idea who can afford these things anymore. Bill Gates' kids.

Last edited by calgary2800; 11-04-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-05-2011 | 09:26 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Congrats! In for pics!
Old 11-05-2011 | 07:34 PM
Pro

Picked it up! First impression- fun as hell to flog it and not get it trouble, a single cylinder sportbike is like a mini holligan minus some serious speed.
Not sure if I want to take it on the freeway, I use to own a couple of tanks zrx1200, zx9 that were made for freeways but I'm not there yet to take a single 250cc on the freeway.

Old 11-05-2011 | 07:41 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

^ awesome. Ride it in good health!
Old 11-05-2011 | 08:55 PM

Fender eliminator, STAT!

Looks great though. Hows the fit and finish?
Old 11-06-2011 | 12:01 AM
Pro

For 4 grand msrp I can complain one bit about the fit and finish, I went to the shop today and all 4 Japanese makers seem to be the same level of fit and finish to me no matter the level of bike.

I will agree with those that want more starter bikes, Not only easy to ride but easy on the wallet!
Old 11-07-2011 | 09:49 AM

Hell, if I lived in more a city environment Id get one. I spend 85% of the time on the highway at 80mph though. Im sure the 250 could do it, but Id probably be nervous.
Old 11-07-2011 | 10:13 AM
AZ Community Team

Nice collection, reminds me to put my two Shoei and two Scorpion's on display.

Also very nice R1 collection, I thought about getting a 2004 R1 a few years ago, then a 2007 CBR1000RR, just need to pull the trigger

It's hard to ride where you're at, a firend with a CBR600RR and VTR1000F lived in NVA and works in the area and said he had to go 20-30 miles west to find some decent un-cogested roads to ride on.

Originally Posted by AnonymousR1
I also kinda have a thing for helmets.

Old 11-07-2011 | 10:17 AM
AZ Community Team

Congrats on the new bike. I agree on the weight, although not too powerful my ~430 lb wet Honda 500 Interceptor is still fun to ride 26 years old. Light is fun, a co-rider just picked up a used 250 Ninja to supplement his 70's BMW and 60's Triumph's.

Originally Posted by calgary2800
I just bought a CBR250R. This is not my first bike, I've had SV650, ZRX1200, ZX9 and after a 4 year gap with no bike I wanted to get back into it.

I choose the 250r because of it WEIGHT. Lighter is really really fun, that little thing is so nimble and flickable.

Quick Reply: The Official Motorcycles/Scooters Thread