NSX Information

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 07:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NSX Information

I'm looking for some sources for detailed information on the NSX. I checked out www.nsxprime.com and found a little but not what I was really looking for. Ramanan, you around??

I'm looking for details on the drivetrain. I believe the NSX used the C-Series engine. It was a 90 degree V6 with DOHC. But what I want to know about is the transaxle. Was this transaxle similar to our FWD counterpart?? Did it mount up to the engine in a similar fashion as the 6MT CL-S and were the half shafts similar and in similar positions relative to the engine??

I have a feeling that it was similar and the transaxle may be related. Since the engine was mounted transversely and it appears was in about a similar position to the drive wheels; the transaxle may have been a beginning point for the J-Series manual. At least I am hoping for that.

And don't go thinking I am getting back into the CL crowd and dropping a NSX engine in there. That is not even a consideration. I have something more blasphemous in mind.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:32 PM
Suzuka Master

the wheel hop cure in the making!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-14-2005, 07:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Smitty
the wheel hop cure in the making!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nope, more extravagant.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:33 PM
Doin' da crack shuffle

Well what is it?
Old 01-14-2005, 09:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
do tel do tell!!!!!
Old 01-14-2005, 11:05 PM
Burning Brakes

A shifter cart with an NSX engine in it that is turbocharged??
Old 01-15-2005, 06:37 AM
Suzuka Master

I wanted to start a project car soon and have been tossing around many ideas. But I have always loved the NSX; it was just short on power. But the lines and mid engine layout are timeless. In addition, this car will se duty at Road Atlanta so it needs to be more than capable of being set up for track duty; the NSX is without a doubt.

However, the costs are higher than what I wanted to spend on an initial purchase. Plus, the engine/transaxle are expensive when/if I blow something. So I had an idea of possibly finding an NSX with a blown engine and buying it. I would then drop a built J32 in its place.

The J32 would certainly be turbocharged and the plan would be to make 500 WHP, turn 7500+ RPM and get the vehicle weight down to about 2800 lbs. With the J-Series being a 60 degree SOHC engine, there should be more room back there for turbo placement, maybe two right off the manifold. It may also be lighter as well.

Many would think that removing the DOHC engine and dropping in a SOHC engine would be blasphemous. But it makes economical sense. The J-Series is readily available and now with the AV6 and TL having the 6MT that should also be available. Plus, the engine would still be Honda and built to run just as well as an NSX engine could, just not as high of revs. The J32A2 has already been proven to handle close to the power I want and will be built to handle more.

There it is, a plan in the making. But there are some technical aspects which I need to uncover before pulling the trigger. I'll probably start with sourcing the engine and transaxle; building the engine up and getting the design right (turbo manifold, etc.). Then would come the long search for an NSX skeleton; one with a good body and decent interior preferred. I'll be ripping out the seats and some of the interior so that isn't as much of a concern. But a straight body will be.

I’m thinking of this as an economical track ready NSX.
Old 01-15-2005, 11:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
that would be sweet. i hope it happens.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:38 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's cheaper to build a blown NSX rather than try to fit the J32 in there. At one time I had access to a NSX motor (C-series) and was thinking of dropping it into the CL - but there are a few hurdles:

i. The tranny bell-housing is not the same and you would need an adaptor-plate or something custom to get it to bolt-up

ii. If you look at both cars from the front... the transmission is on the right side for both cases. However, I am not sure on direction-of-rotation!

In your scenario, I think the 60-degree V6 will be a tough fit into the NSX engine-bay. Keep in mind that to take that motor out, you essentially drop the entire rear sub-frame - everything is precise on that chassis and it would be a shame to try re-create something that is nearly perfect!

In my opinion, you can find a salvage NSX for around $15K with 200K miles but still runing. If you think the J-series motors are spectacular, the C-series is out-of-this-world. The power of the DOHC-VTEC and a stock 8K redline is intoxicating. A well-built 3.2 (or greater) NSX motor can put 400whp NA - and would be the ideal choice for a road-car (not turbo!). At the same time a 500-600whp turbo NSX motor is easily achievable.

I know a guy (let me search for his #) that buys high mileage NSX's (he bought mine for the Fast & Furious 2) and sends them overseas... he gets them for cheap.

I suggest you find a chassis (running or not running) for a cheap price and build a C-series motor. The cost of assembly is the same... NSX cast engine components are more expensive, but gaskets etc. are not.

Good luck with this project!
Old 01-15-2005, 01:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by allmotor_2000
i. The tranny bell-housing is not the same and you would need an adaptor-plate or something custom to get it to bolt-up

ii. If you look at both cars from the front... the transmission is on the right side for both cases. However, I am not sure on direction-of-rotation!

In your scenario, I think the 60-degree V6 will be a tough fit into the NSX engine-bay. Keep in mind that to take that motor out, you essentially drop the entire rear sub-frame - everything is precise on that chassis and it would be a shame to try re-create something that is nearly perfect!
Thank for the input, I do appreciate it.

What I was actually considering is keeping the CL/TL 6MT transmission. From the information I could find it looks like it is similar enough. If so and if the engine/transaxle fit, I would just then need axles made or modified.

The rotation question is one which comes to mind and will need to be looked at. Got a 50/50 chance there though.

I was also banking on the sub-frame being removed as that will make it easier to install and get the mounts right.

The other big question is which engine and transaxle is easier to come by?? My guess is the J-Series which is why I was leaning that way. The plan is to seriously track this car, both Atlanta and Birmingham. So I will be breaking parts. I was looking for the least expensive route to keep the car running.

I do not deny the greater potential of the C-Series nor have I eliminated the use of the inherent engine. However, I think you and I have shown that the potential of the J-Series. Although it doesn't turn as high it could with a little work. I will be using a DFI system so there will be no limitations in tuning. Plus, the J-Series makes more torque and at lower revs which might be nice.

Either way IMO, both engines could do what is required when built correctly. The deciding factor is which will cost less in the end. That is why I am evaluating this possibility.

I think I will try and find a local owner I see occasionally. I met him at the dealer one time and he seemed pretty cool. Probably enough to allow me to check his car out and see what I need.
Old 01-15-2005, 01:25 PM
Suzuka Master

In my opinion, you can find a salvage NSX for around $15K with 200K miles but still runing.

I know a guy (let me search for his #) that buys high mileage NSX's (he bought mine for the Fast & Furious 2) and sends them overseas... he gets them for cheap.
That is what I am banking on and about the price I was desiring.
Old 01-15-2005, 01:42 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let me go find my sale paperwork and locate that guy's #. The only issue is that
the car might not be local to you.
Old 01-15-2005, 09:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Let me go find my sale paperwork and locate that guy's #. The only issue is that
the car might not be local to you.
Thanks, it is a bit early but I have to be prepared if an opportunity presents its self.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:36 AM
boosted is best

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by importtuner
A shifter cart with an NSX engine in it that is turbocharged??
You stole my idea...
Old 01-18-2005, 01:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Look at this:

http://www.nsxprime.com/photopost/sh...0&ppuser=10053

That transaxle looks very similar. It is even positioned the same and the output shafts are in the same relative position. I am a bit suprised about how similar that transaxle is.

Well, maybe not. Why shouldn't they leverage past development into the newer platforms even though it sits in a different location in the car.