New M3 stolen!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2001, 02:37 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
New M3 stolen!

Yup, my good friends M3 was stolen yesterday from a shopping mall parking lot. Only 400 miles on it and now it's gone. Unbelievable.

Considering that nearly ALL new cars have some sort of "electronic" theft deterrent, mainly if the form of a "pass" key, I wonder how the hell these cars are getting stolen?

Unless the car was towed, which is probably unlikely at a busy shopping mall, how do these modern car thieves do it?

I wonder if there are "high tech" thieves that somehow have access to a database of info on codes for specific cars? In other words, could it be an inside job? Could there be someone at BMW that is selling the info or creating keys that would allow car thieves to literally "turn the key" and drive away?

I know this may sound like a conspiracy theory, but it is definitely NOT easy to steal a modern car by traditional methods.

------------------
99 M3
dead CL-S

Tom2: The Voice Of Reason and Captain of the Bullshit Police.
Old 06-14-2001, 02:39 PM
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ever see "Gone in 60-Seconds" ???

Shawn S

------------------
Make me an offer….It’s FOR SALE when the 6-Speed MANUAL comes out, I HATE the SLUSH SHIFT !!!

2001 CL Type S - NAV - San Marino RED / Parchment - Spoiler - 35% Tint - Roof Visor - PIAA Lamps
GOLD Emblems & Grill - V1 w/remote - KICKER AMP w/(2) 10" Alumapro Subs - Xephyr CAI - Shine by ZAINO
For Photos see: PAGE 1 PAGE 2 PAGE 3 PAGE 4 V1 & SUBS
Old 06-14-2001, 02:43 PM
Drifting

Anythings possible. At least he is going to get all his money back right?

Spiro

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tom2:
Yup, my good friends M3 was stolen yesterday from a shopping mall parking lot. Only 400 miles on it and now it's gone. Unbelievable.

Considering that nearly ALL new cars have some sort of "electronic" theft deterrent, mainly if the form of a "pass" key, I wonder how the hell these cars are getting stolen?

Unless the car was towed, which is probably unlikely at a busy shopping mall, how do these modern car thieves do it?

I wonder if there are "high tech" thieves that somehow have access to a database of info on codes for specific cars? In other words, could it be an inside job? Could there be someone at BMW that is selling the info or creating keys that would allow car thieves to literally "turn the key" and drive away?

I know this may sound like a conspiracy theory, but it is definitely NOT easy to steal a modern car by traditional methods.

</font>

------------------
Black/Black 2001 CL-S
Random Technology Cat
RED AEM CAI
APEXi V-AFC
Polarg M6 Roadlamps
Old 06-14-2001, 02:43 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
i bet 98% it was an inside job. I've got a few friends that work for mercedes and porsche, and inside jobs are usually and only what it can take to get one of those
Old 06-14-2001, 02:45 PM
Unregistered Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shawn S:
Ever see "Gone in 60-Seconds" ???

Shawn S

</font>
Nope. How did they steal new cars in the movie?

------------------
99 M3
dead CL-S

Old 06-14-2001, 02:47 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Nope. How did they steal new cars in the movie?

</font>
you have to get the key from the factory
Old 06-14-2001, 02:52 PM
Team Owner

I’ve also heard that the big car rings are now using box trucks with hydraulic ramps out the back.
They park in front of the car and lower the ramp.
One guy covers the area in front of the tires with silicone spray and the other hooks up to the front suspension with a winch.
In only a few seconds the car is dragged up inside and the door is closed.
They can drive right through traffic with the alarm whaling and no one will hear it inside the truck.

Once they get it back to the warehouse, they have all the time in the world to crack the ignition codes.

As an added step, they sometimes drop the car off in a “safe area” for a few hours to make sure there isn’t a tracking device installed.
If the car is still there a few hours later, they take it back to the shop.

It’s a SAD world we live in.

Shawn S

------------------
Make me an offer….It’s FOR SALE when the 6-Speed MANUAL comes out, I HATE the SLUSH SHIFT !!!

2001 CL Type S - NAV - San Marino RED / Parchment - Spoiler - 35% Tint - Roof Visor - PIAA Lamps
GOLD Emblems & Grill - V1 w/remote - KICKER AMP w/(2) 10" Alumapro Subs - Xephyr CAI - Shine by ZAINO
For Photos see: PAGE 1 PAGE 2 PAGE 3 PAGE 4 V1 & SUBS
Old 06-14-2001, 02:57 PM
'Cooter

what mall was it?? anywhere on Long Island?

------------------
Copyright 2001 ScooterKin Enterprises:

'01 CL Type-S: Red on Black

- PIAA 19224 road lamps
- mudguards
- moonroof visor
- fenderwell trim
- spoiler
- wheel locks
- the OLD cup holder
- ...last, but not least, the Xephyr CAI
Old 06-14-2001, 02:59 PM
S/C'd Accord Coming Soon!

And I always laugh when I heard people say they wouldn't buy an Accord because they are more likely to be stolen.

That really sucks man, but that's what insurance is for. How do you go about filing a claim for a stolen car?

------------------
2000 Acccord LX V6 Sedan
- Eibach Pro-Kit Springs& Koni Yellow Shocks
- AEM Short Ram Intake
- AEM Tru-Power Pulleys
- Jet Hot Coated CompTech Headers
- Denso Iridium IK20 Plugs
- Forged Racing Hart 17x7.5" CP-035's with 225/45 RE730's
- 15.44 @ 87.87mph (Track)
Old 06-14-2001, 03:00 PM
Unregistered Member

That's some elaborate scheme to steal a car. What ever happened to the good old days when they just popped the lock and hotwired the car? LOL.

I'm surprised that they don't have lead-lined box trucks to stop any "tracking" devices......

With all this anti-theft technology, I'm really surprised that there aren't more car jackings. Between alarms, ignition/fuel disable locks, Lo Jack, etc... it would just be so much easier for a car thief to point a gun at your head and tell you to get out.

------------------
99 M3
dead CL-S

Old 06-14-2001, 03:00 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shawn S:
I’ve also heard that the big car rings are now using box trucks with hydraulic ramps out the back.
They park in front of the car and lower the ramp.
One guy covers the area in front of the tires with silicone spray and the other hooks up to the front suspension with a winch.
In only a few seconds the car is dragged up inside and the door is closed.
They can drive right through traffic with the alarm whaling and no one will hear it inside the truck.

Once they get it back to the warehouse, they have all the time in the world to crack the ignition codes.

As an added step, they sometimes drop the car off in a “safe area” for a few hours to make sure there isn’t a tracking device installed.
If the car is still there a few hours later, they take it back to the shop.

It’s a SAD world we live in.

Shawn S

</font>
I always said it was a slippery business LOL I'm post whoring! Seriously, yeah I heard of such things too Shawn.

------------------
01' Acura CL Type-S
Piaa 19169 Bulbs
Valentine1 Pig Detector
Comptech Springs
CompTech Exhaust
Xephyr CAI (Temporary)
SilverKnight Mesh Grill
Custom BASS by [URL=http://www.streeteffectz.com

01'Acura Integra GSR
No Mods yet but just wait......
Old 06-14-2001, 03:02 PM
Unregistered Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Scooter:
what mall was it?? anywhere on Long Island?

</font>
No, it was at the Palisades Mall in Rockland County. Ever hear of it? It's only about 2 years old and is the second biggest mall in the entire US. My friend said that the cop who took his report claims that on average, about 10 cars are stolen every day from the Palisades mall. Maybe I should park my M3 there for the day, instead of selling it!

------------------
99 M3
dead CL-S

Old 06-14-2001, 03:06 PM
teh Senior Instigator

No, it was at the Palisades Mall in Rockland County. Ever hear of it? It's only about 2 years old and is the second biggest mall in the entire US. My friend said that the cop who took his report claims that on average, about 10 cars are stolen every day from the Palisades mall. Maybe I should park my M3 there for the day, instead of selling it!

</font>
time for me to go visit tom and spend a few days at the mall
Old 06-14-2001, 03:06 PM
Banned

I just bought a new M3 yesterday with 401 miles on it. The driver side window was busted and the alarm was torn out viciously. Got it for only $20,000 (wonder why?)

Hehe, j/k...don't turn me in!

------------------
'98 Dakar Yellow ///M3
Surprise @ Forums atwww.BMWExperience.com
0-60 5.53 sec G-Tech
Picture here
Old 06-14-2001, 03:10 PM
teh Senior Instigator

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by M3Sins:
I just bought a new M3 yesterday with 401 miles on it. The driver side window was busted and the alarm was torn out viciously. Got it for only $20,000 (wonder why?)

Hehe, j/k...don't turn me in!

</font>

haha, this reminds me of a story a few years ago that went on. At the street races some dude hit the bottle on a very high $ run when he said he had no n20. Needless to say, they ripped him out of his car, jacked it and proceeded to put it right in front of their shop w/ a for sale sign. The car eventually sold. The guy was to scared to turn them in

Old 06-14-2001, 03:19 PM
uu
Burning Brakes

damn dude, should've installed lojack

------------------
2001 Stock Black/Black CL Type S
since 11/29/00
Scrached three rims.
Old 06-14-2001, 04:26 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm surprised that they don't have lead-lined box trucks to stop any "tracking" devices......
</font>
Oh trust me... if theres enough dynamat or whatever insulation in the truck to deaden the sound of the alarm... theres no way those tracking devices are working.

And a good theif can remove a tracking device in no time.

The reasont there arent more car jackings...

The punishment for Grand Theft Auto is far less severe then what you would get for car jacking at gun point.

Your talking 25yrs for that shit. Not many theives will risk it... and not many theives would risk the fact that they MIGHT have to kill someone. Theives and murders may all be criminals but their very different kinds of criminals. Most car theives arent capabale of murder.... and are smart enough to keep themesleves out of a position where murder might be the only way out.

Also... its far easier to steal a car when nobody notices... then it is too car jack.

You car jack someone and you can guarantee cops are gonna find you QUICKLY... nobody pays attention when your car is simply missing.

ANd yea... someone can come tow your car right out of a busy lot and nobody will know any better.
Old 06-14-2001, 04:29 PM
Banned

Easy to steal the car. You ship it overseas too....and you can get more than the 55K+ that the dealer sells it for.

------------------
2001 Cl-S Black on Black with Navigation
Black Tint all around (15%~45%)
Weapon-R Dragon Filter
Weapon-R Coil-Overs
Koni Adjustable Struts
Comptech Sway Bars
Comptech Headers (hehehe...I got something for you drchang!!)
14.698 @95.977mph....Sears Point Raceway.I think I need a Level 10 Torque Converter!!
Yes, I know I'm going to hell for wasting gas on Civics....
My Peoples
Old 06-14-2001, 04:34 PM
Buckle Up

With LoJack my friend was telling me a way to get around it. You jack the car and go to a gas station. Once your under that metal roofing the signal cant go out. You sit around trying to find the LoJack and when you find it you rip it out and throw it away. The cars yours. Just my imput

------------------
I love the CL
Old 06-14-2001, 04:49 PM
KISS MY

</font>
Got to drop the CL over there with a shipment of Rolex's in the Trunk so I can get an M3 and not park at that mall..

------------------
01- Acura CL silver 3.2-s
20% tint 35%front window
Bose Mods.. Mod's to come headers and springs
Old 06-14-2001, 04:53 PM
FvCK KNvCKLE

2 things I learned a long time ago.

Given the time and money, anyhting can be reversed engineered.

Anyone, ANYONE! Can be bought. You just have to find their price.

------------------
- The sum of the intelligence on the planet is a constant, the population is growing.

01 Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony
Dunlop SP5000 215/50/17
Navigation-Spoiler-Muds-Wheel locks-35% Tint-PIAA wedges-V1 and remote
DOM 10/2000
Hoping the next "wrecked" CL, is Xephyr's
Old 06-14-2001, 06:31 PM
Firestarter

Tom, I know the feeling. Had one of my cars stolen as well. I loved that car. Was so pissed that I drove around all of the Essex, Union and Hudson (yes, I drove throught the Oranges, Newark, Irvington, Elizabeth and Jersey City) looking for it and swore that i would bulgeon to death the fucker i caught with it. never quite found it. Cops never found it either.
now I've learned that you can take precautions and deter the common theif, but if someone wants your car, they will get it.
I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your car. hope the insurance makes up for it and I hope the fucker who took it wraps himself around a tree.

------------------
Silver CL-S
Old 06-14-2001, 07:16 PM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by uu:
damn dude, should've installed lojack

</font>
ditto.

------------------
- Kvit -
2001 CL-P Monterey Blue, Parchment interior
• Build date: 10/00. VIN 24225
• Polarg BlHybrid M-6 Road lamps
• Polarg/PIAA super white interior lights *bling bling*
• HP Quantum 28 -- 31% metallic tint all around

• Planning: 17" rims w/ Bridgestone Potenzas (730),
Comptech Springs & Sways, V1
• [Photopoint Album Pics]
• [So.Cali. Nite Meet 5/17: Tustin Black Angus Pics]
• [So.Cali. Nite Meet 5/17: Tustin Black Angus Pics II]

Other
• [Yamaha Home Theater Gear]
• [DVD List]
• [June 3rd Sunday Cali. BBQ: Irvine Park]
Old 06-14-2001, 08:14 PM
nItIn

</font>
lol not to go OT here, but this made me laugh. Everybody says they've got the second largest mall in the US. I mean ok, hands down we know Mall of America is the largest in the US (not in the world, but the US). The people in Wisconsin claim Gurnee Mills is the second largest. There's people in Michigan who claim that they've got the second biggest. Now this palisades mall. It cracks me up - it is like comparing penises. *LOL*

ps - this is in no way a knock on you Tom, just some humor I saw in this whole discussion which is pretty sad and scary.

------------------
2001 CL-P - Nighthawk Black/Ebony/Burlwood trim, Wheel Locks, Spoiler, Trunk Net, Polarg M6 Road Lamps, Polarg M4 Door Lamps, Polarg M4 Map Lights, Polarg M12 Turn, Polarg M13 Reverse Lamps, Polarg M16 Dome Light. Burlwood '02 TL-S Steering, Burlwood Vent Trims, Burlwood Shifter, 35% all around Madico Tint

My Albums
Old 06-14-2001, 08:15 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Lojack is a gimmick.

I paid over 500 to have that in my Mitsu GSR. When I thought my car was stolen, the police told me it would only work if the theives went to an area that had lojack sensors like Newark or Trenton. If they kept it local they would not locate it.

Fuck that, I'll wait until satellite triangular tracing is perfected, then steal my shit and I'll watch you drive down the road in my car, and so will the police.

------------------
01' Acura CL Type-S
Piaa 19169 Bulbs
Valentine1 Pig Detector
Comptech Springs
CompTech Exhaust
Xephyr CAI (Temporary)
SilverKnight Mesh Grill
Custom BASS by [URL=http://www.streeteffectz.com

01'Acura Integra GSR
No Mods yet but just wait......
Old 06-14-2001, 08:49 PM
The Creator

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by monkeymato:
With LoJack my friend was telling me a way to get around it. You jack the car and go to a gas station. Once your under that metal roofing the signal cant go out. You sit around trying to find the LoJack and when you find it you rip it out and throw it away. The cars yours. Just my imput
</font>
Naa thats not true.

Does your cell phone, radio, navi work at a gas station? So will LoJack.

Fact is though LoJack is actually extremely uneffective...

Drive into a underground parking garage and guess what? LoJack aint doin shit. heh

nabster: about the malls... yea i agree with you... it seems everyone everywhere claims the live next to the second largest mall in the US.

The fact is... most of these misunderstandings come from the fact that almost every "large" mall makes proposed plans to expand... the media then says "it would make it the 2nd largest mall in the US" the fact is... these expansions RARELY go through... that goes for the mall up here... as well as the Palisades Center in Rockland County... the expansions that they claim could made one of them the 2nd or 3rd largest in the country just never happen.
Old 06-14-2001, 08:55 PM
The Creator

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by eclipse23:
Fuck that, I'll wait until satellite triangular tracing is perfected, then steal my shit and I'll watch you drive down the road in my car, and so will the police.
</font>
How perfect do you want? heh... you can already get web based tracking systems for cars... you view your car as an icon on a map that looks something like MapQuest and it tells you the street and closest address to where your vehicle is located. Cant really get much more perfect then that until they link it up with spy satellites so you can see your car right from the PC.

Problem is they cost a fuckin fortune. Insurance on the stolen car would cost you less
Old 06-14-2001, 09:14 PM
10th Gear

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by soopa:
Oh trust me... if theres enough dynamat or whatever insulation in the truck to deaden the sound of the alarm... theres no way those tracking devices are working.

And a good theif can remove a tracking device in no time.

The reasont there arent more car jackings...

The punishment for Grand Theft Auto is far less severe then what you would get for car jacking at gun point.

Your talking 25yrs for that shit. Not many theives will risk it... and not many theives would risk the fact that they MIGHT have to kill someone. Theives and murders may all be criminals but their very different kinds of criminals. Most car theives arent capabale of murder.... and are smart enough to keep themesleves out of a position where murder might be the only way out.

Also... its far easier to steal a car when nobody notices... then it is too car jack.

You car jack someone and you can guarantee cops are gonna find you QUICKLY... nobody pays attention when your car is simply missing.

ANd yea... someone can come tow your car right out of a busy lot and nobody will know any better.
</font>
I have got a great story for everyone about car jackings. Here in Arizona it is legal to carry and conceil with a permit. So about 4 months ago, these 2 fucking morons come up from LA thinking that they are going to have themself's a field day jacking old folks out of their Lincoln's and Caddy's in Sun City. First car they hit, the old kodger pulls out a forty five from the side of the seat and kills them both. Ive got to tell you guys that I am not a big fan of gun's, but being able to carry them on your person legaly sure keeps the crime down over here.

Old 06-14-2001, 09:20 PM
Unregistered Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by soopa:

nabster: about the malls... yea i agree with you... it seems everyone everywhere claims the live next to the second largest mall in the US.

The fact is... most of these misunderstandings come from the fact that almost every "large" mall makes proposed plans to expand... the media then says "it would make it the 2nd largest mall in the US" the fact is... these expansions RARELY go through... that goes for the mall up here... as well as the Palisades Center in Rockland County... the expansions that they claim could made one of them the 2nd or 3rd largest in the country just never happen.
</font>

Soopa, you should have heard of the Palisades Mall since you're from New York. I realize that you're upstate quite a bit, but still.....

Like I said in an earlier post, the Palisades Mall is basically new. 2 years old, maybe 3.....

All the local papers made a HUGE deal out of the fact that it knocked the second largest mall down to third largest when it was completed. There has been NO expansion.

Not that I really give a shit about the size of shopping malls or anything, but here's a link to the Palisades Center Mall:

http://www.palcen.com/MainMenu.htm

------------------
99 M3
dead CL-S

Old 06-14-2001, 09:32 PM
Race Director

One day, you will be able to see your car (or home or whatever) at all times on your PDA, watch, or cellphone display if you choose. From your cellphone you can disable the car and call the police. Of course your car's GPS will show the location on your "personal device's" screen. It's gonna happen...if I have anything to say about it. The only hangup....cost. Because I believe the demand is there or will be there in the next several years.

------------------
* 2001 Acura CL Type S * Blk/Blk * Navigator * Spoiler * Moonroof Visor * V1 *
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *
Old 06-14-2001, 10:21 PM
Adult Supervision

</font>
I worked in the area and drove by that construction site for 3 years. Hard to catch anyone from that mall as there is easy access to several interstates North, South, East & West.

Sux.

------------------
CL-S #22,299 Black/Parchment/Nav, spoiler, door & fender guards, wood trim, PIAA 9005, Polarg M6, V1 w/remote, trunk & winter mats, tires, sheet metal, plastic parts, lots of wires and tubes, leather seats, carpet, lots of nuts and bolts...
Old 06-14-2001, 10:55 PM
The Creator

Tom, sorry. shouldnt say your wrong... i really dont know.

I dont know mainly because EVERYONE says they have the 2nd largest mall in the country! hehe...

Anyway, I hope it is 2nd largest... go NY!
Old 06-14-2001, 11:13 PM
Buckle Up

Well for a fact I know it works. My friend has done it before and said it worked. At Miami Acura my moms navi doesnt get any signal under the metal roof.

------------------
I love the CL
Old 06-15-2001, 03:26 AM
- daemonichris -

kinda reminds you of Gone in 60 Seconds huh?

------------------
Acura 3.2CL Type-S w/ Navigation
Black/Ebony

H&R Sport Springs | Pirelli P7000 Supersport 235/40ZR17 on stock rims | Neuspeed Tower Strut Bar | Custom CAI | Cleared Headlights, PIAA 19169 | Tint all around | Mesh Grill | Dual 12'' Alpine Type-S Subs | Kenwood KAC-728S Amp | RÄZO real carbon pedals
Old 06-15-2001, 03:31 AM
Instructor

bummer on the theft. Axiom: if a thief wants YOUR car badly enough (and they get the time to work it), it's gone. Carry good insurance, a real gun (my carry piece is a Kimber CDP .45 ACP ) and remember that a car is not worth anyone's life! $0.02

------------------
when you're ready to succeed!
Old 06-19-2001, 11:37 PM
Intermediate

It is the 2nd biggest. I know cause the company who made it is making the biggest mall in the U.S. here in Syracuse. I was just down at the Palisades 2 weeks ago. You have to wait out front and follow someone to there car to get a parking space . I swore I'd never go back and this just reinforces that decision.
If 10 cars a day are being stolen why don't they videotape the entrances to see if there being lifted out? They have to be able to do something to catch those MFers.

------------------
93 RX7 R1 don't feel like listing all mods
98 5.9 limited Grand Cherokee K&N gen 2 FIPK
2001 CL-S (w/nav) girlfriends but its as good as mine
Old 06-19-2001, 11:42 PM
Racer

I parked my yellow 2000 Integra Type R there once without an alarm. It had an immobilizer but someone could have stolen it with a flatbed or a tow truck. I was pretty nervous. That place is too crowded.
Old 06-19-2001, 11:50 PM
Cruisin'

what about putting those newer immobilizers that latch onto ur braking pedal or clutch pedal. Auto Lock I think its called. Commericals always seem so convincing...anyone know if those things are gimmicks like how the club was.
Old 06-19-2001, 11:57 PM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

Palisades Mall is huge! I don't know if it's second or third or what but I know it's big. If you want to find a parking place that's relatively secure there (Ha), try parking underneath around back. There is a lot of activity and it's not easy to get outa there. Wayneg told me today that is one of the places they are stealing HID lights off Acura's. I won't be going there for awhile. But hey, this is NY/NJ, any thief can make it here.

------------------
01 CL-S NightHawk Black/Ebony Bowling Ball Interior
PAA Polished CAI
Polarg M6
Solaris 9005
Cupholder Ver 2.0 Part#77237-SOK-A02
DOM 3/2000
Self proclaimed President of the "No Scratched Rim Club"

gto2050 (Mike) - The voice of absolutely no reason whatsoever!
Old 06-20-2001, 12:00 AM