New G35 specs...Wow!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2001, 11:26 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New G35 specs...Wow!

Head over to www.infiniti.com and goto the future vehicles section. They just updated the info on the G35. Guess what, 260hp and 260lb feet of torque @ 4800rpm! As of now it will come with a 5 speed manumatic type transmission. Word is that a 6 speed from the Maxima will most likely jump to the G35 as well.

I'm guessing even with the auto the G35 should be able to do mid 14s...
Old 12-29-2001, 07:16 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
and if the base cost is any less than $35k, then the interior and build quality will probably suck.
Old 12-29-2001, 08:49 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
and if the base cost is any less than $35k, then the interior and build quality will probably suck.
Yes, and next let's say that it is ugly since it will have more hp than the CL and a FR set-up.

I really dont think that the build quality will suck, but either way we don't know these sorts of things yet.

The car is essentially a Skyline in Japan, which stickers for around 25K there. They will make a few changes since they want to brand it an Infiniti, so guesses have put the base price 27-32K.

Also, it will be built in Japan, so I would assume the quality will be a notch higher than normal cars. They put the cars together a little better over there.
Old 12-29-2001, 09:18 AM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

Nissan was just picked on for overstating their HP claims. They admit that they were engineering targets not actual HP. I read this in either Car & Driver or Motor Trend. They do make some fine engines though. The build quality was okay on myb 98 Mxima. Kinda tinny though, lotsa road noise but light weight and quick. I still think that my old Max would take or come pretty close to my CL-S.

The Skyline has always been one of the most revered unobtainable cars on the road. Even if they bring it to the US I doubt if it will come in its hairiest beastial qualities. They will tone it down. It's one of those cars that the HP was always understated to get under Japan's HP limit of 280BHP.
Old 12-29-2001, 09:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Wxguy95

Yes, and next let's say that it is ugly since it will have more hp than the CL and a FR set-up.

I really dont think that the build quality will suck, but either way we don't know these sorts of things yet.

hey newbie,

you totally missed my point which had nothing to do with it having more hp or fr setup.

the cl-s/tl-s offers so much for the $ that they had to cut corners somewhere, including being built in the U.S.

if nissan offers a car that is going to have a lot more, PLUS being built in japan which would make it inherently cost more for exporting and stuff, then how can they sell it for so little and make a profit w/o cutting corners, namely on the interior which nissan has done before.

latest example: the altima, the interior in that sucks 'cuz they hda to cut corners to offer so much for such a low price.
Old 12-29-2001, 11:09 AM

It is also built off of a stretched Z platform, looks like anAltima and the only sales it will steal are from the I 35 (morons).
The only one happy about this G 35 are Infiniti/Nissan owners, the rest of the world gives a rat's A$$
Old 12-29-2001, 11:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Re: New G35 specs...Wow!

Originally posted by bioyuki
Guess what, 260hp and 260lb feet of torque @ 4800rpm!

I'm guessing even with the auto the G35 should be able to do mid 14s...
I wonder what the redline will be, if it's 6500 that torque value is too high in the revs. I hope that 90% of the peak is available at 3500 revs otherwise the area under the curve won't be too impressive.
Old 12-29-2001, 11:26 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
So it looks like this is going directly against the IS300 folks. A lot of nice features though. Like the Head Restrain system for protection from whiplash injuries. This feature I believe was only available from a Saab and a Volvo cars.
Old 12-29-2001, 11:28 AM

Well the dimensions and purpose are similar but the IS NOW offers a 5 speed. The G35s styling is weird, not really sporty, not really luxurious. G35 better have NISMO aftermarket support too!
Old 12-29-2001, 11:39 AM
Advanced

mrdeeno,

Look when I joined (and that was only to post about something.) I've been on this board since the h-a and 260hp days, I just do not post too often.

Didn't mean to turn your crank too much, just when people say 'wow, car x will look nice' someone always jumps on it to say:

1) It doesn't have the hp of a CL
2) if 1 doesn't work, the build quality will not be close to an Acura.
3) if 2 doesn't work, well, its fugly, so no one will want one.

So since the new Altima uses cheap interior plastic, that means the new Infiniti will now have the same thing. Hmmm. That's not exactly correct. They put pretty good materials in the Maxima and keep the price down to a reasonable level.

I personally hope the G35 has a 6-speed, and coupe version, and is a major hit. Better competition means better products across the board for us.
Old 12-29-2001, 12:46 PM
Suzuka Master

see, that's what happens when you assume too much.

uh, i'm trying to reread my post, and in those 19 words i don't see anywhere mentioning that it doesn't have the hp of a cl.

i don't see any comparison to acura build quality. if anything, i'm using acura as an example of my statement. they cut corners and it is barely obvious, but noticable. and honda/acura makes a lot more money than nissan, so they CAN cut less corners.

3) if 2 doesn't work, well, its fugly, so no one will want one
when did i say it's ugly? i don't even remember commenting on it.

bottom line is you assumed i meant all these things when all i said was that if it's priced competitively, it'll have a lot of corners cut, and nissan usually cuts on the interior. and i used the altima as a prime example...before it came out, people were praising it and saying it will give tl's and cl's a run for the money and yada yada yada...but when it came out, the only thing it has going for it is the engine and manual tranny!

so unless nissan, which is finally making money, wants to sell cars at a loss, it's going to cut corners, especially if it's going to offer a "built in japan" high performance car for mid $30k.
Old 12-29-2001, 01:39 PM

SKYLINE bring it here!!!

G35 coupe may be a possibility. I am pretty positive the next gen IS will have a coupe as well (and probably discontinue the sportcross)
Old 12-29-2001, 02:32 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

It looks that the G35 is a direct competitor for the TL-S, however, It would be $5000 more....

no special featuer that the G35 has that the the TL-S does not.

The only thing is the G35 is RWD and TLS is FWD.

GS got 50:50 weight distribution too.

I would say it is a very nice sedan for sure
Old 12-29-2001, 02:47 PM
Rod
Drifting

The G35 seems to be a definite option for my next car, but who knows until the final production version is released. We definitely have lots of competition coming out in the next year or two.
Old 12-29-2001, 03:15 PM
Instructor

3) if 2 doesn't work, well, its fugly, so no one will want one.

you know this was the exact same thing i was thinking, it seems that most people are afraid that a better car will come and their manlihood will be diminished.. i like the g35 and is up there in my list. and even if it only has the 5 speed auto it will have better gearing:

2002 CL-S:
5-speed Sequential SportShift™ automatic transmission with Grade Logic Control

Ratios (: 1)

1st 2.563
2nd 1.551
3rd 1.021
4th 0.653
5th 0.470
Reverse 1.846
Final 4.428

G35 Gear Ratios

1st:3.540 auto
2nd:2.264
3rd:1.471
4th:1.000
5th:0.834
Reverse:2.370
Final drive:3.133

hmm how bout that, a transmission with more usable ratios, ok let me guess 'bad gas mileage' or wait there's no vtec..

the interior looks very nice and clean and i don't see cheap wood anywhere..

even at 35k it would be a deal considering the RWD aspect which actually lets you use some of the power. if a CL-S can be made RWD for under 5k then you guys win, I didn't think so.. but i forgot the cl was getting a 6mt and AWD..

you people need to realize other people make nice cars too..
Old 12-29-2001, 03:49 PM
Learn to swim.

Originally posted by mrdeeno

hey newbie,

One sure-fire way to make yourself sound like a 16 year old ASS is to use the word "NEWBIE". How stupid does that make you look? And how relevant is it to anything discussed here?

Think about it tough guy...
Old 12-29-2001, 03:52 PM
Banned

Originally posted by aeon

One sure-fire way to make yourself sound like a 16 year old ASS is to use the word "NEWBIE". How stupid does that make you look? And how relevant is it to anything discussed here?

Calling someone a n00b is OK as long as he truly is a n00b.
Old 12-29-2001, 04:21 PM

BTW what is so WOW about this car?
Old 12-29-2001, 05:30 PM
Suzuka Master

hey smartass,
it was nicer than saying "smartass"

and what does THIS have to do with anythign here?

and why is everyone so touchy these days about everything posted.

geez, take a fuckin' chill pill already.
Old 12-29-2001, 05:51 PM
Suzuka Master

and another thing, why does this have anything to do with you? i write one line (actually 2 words), while the rest of the post concerned the topic, and you spend a whole post about it and NOTHING about the thread? and it has nothing to do with you!

who's the ass again?
Old 12-29-2001, 06:27 PM
Learn to swim.

and another thing, why does this have anything to do with you? i write one line (actually 2 words), while the rest of the post concerned the topic, and you spend a whole post about it and NOTHING about the thread? and it has nothing to do with you!

who's the ass again?
Your post has as much to do with me, as the original post has to do with you. It's an open forum, not a private chatting arena. If you make yourself to be a fool, expect rebuttal from all directions. If you can't take it without whining like a little girl, then don't say anything. Using the word "newbie" in an argument tells me that you have no valid point, and must fall back on what you believe to be a symbol of rank. So, as a senior "ranking" member, it was then my "duty" to inform you that you are an idiot for trying.

Trying to pull rank on the internet is as infantile as you can get, so don't bother trying it again, newbie. Who's the ass again? You, twice in one thread.
Old 12-29-2001, 07:14 PM
I love my G sedan

I still don't know the exact position of this car, its exterior size is between Lexus IS300 and GS300, and its price is about the same as IS300 I think. But I like it, in my opinion its the best looking sedan Nissan has brought to the states ever. It would look better if the black bottom of the car is changed to the body-color.
Therefore, I would say a black G35 would look very good.
Old 12-29-2001, 07:56 PM
Subie Dubie

I like it. It depends on the price, but it's something i think most of us would have looked at if it was available when we bought. More torque, RWD, better weight distribution, better gearing, pop up Navi. Not bad.
Old 12-29-2001, 07:57 PM
Learn to swim.

Originally posted by Red Rider
I like it. It depends on the price, but it's something i think most of us would have looked at if it was available when we bought. More torque, RWD, better weight distribution, better gearing, pop up Navi. Not bad.
I agree.
Old 12-29-2001, 08:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Trying to pull rank on the internet is as infantile as you can get, so don't bother trying it again, newbie. Who's the ass again? You, twice in one thread.
huh? 2 words and you get bent out of shape, and i'm the one whining like a girl?

and 2nd, it wasn't pulling rank or anything of the sort. i was expressing his "inexperience" for making assumptions that had nothing to do with my post.

so if this is a free forum to all to post whatever they feel, then you have no right to criticize what i posted, especially considering what you are criticizing has NOTHING to do with you.

and what gives you the right to judge who and what i am by what i post, especially from just 2 words?

and you're calling me a newbie? i've been here before since the h-a.net days.

so unless it was directed at you, or you are offended by it, or whatever, stay out of shit that doesn't concern you.

this is directed at you: hey asshole, fuck off.
Old 12-30-2001, 12:00 AM
Instructor

now, now.. settle down children
Old 12-30-2001, 12:42 AM
Old timer

No, he's right: They build some tacky interiors on those Nissan/Infinities.

And the exterior probably WILL be ugly, judging by that horrid Altima redesign and the Maxima that I like but many people consider ugly.

You can give a New Beetle 400hp, but it's still a New Beetle. I hope you see my point.
Old 12-30-2001, 01:06 AM
Pro

The ad copy reads very much like an upsized/up-powered IS300 or a downsized/down-powered GS400, with every feature they're touting pretty much existing Lexus/BMW/Mercedes features. That's just as well, since it's obvious that such a package sells.

Assuming there are no killer flaws to the desireability of the vehicle, it should do well. How it compares as a counter against the two Lexus products will depend very much on a few uncertainties:

1. Power-to-weight of the final consumer version.
2. Execution of the automatic transmission (shift smoothness, logic, drag)
3. Overall feel (driving, NVH, switchgear, materials, build solidity)
4. Fit and finish.
5. Value.
Old 12-30-2001, 01:46 AM
Intermediate

Ha ha u guys are hillarious... u even fight with each other over nissan products... U dont even need us org guys to say anything...

But the meaning of this post was to let u know the interior does look like ass imho.. They sent me a brochure about the car maybe a mo ago... Everything looks beautiful but the interior in the pictures looks alot like the altima interior like the orange guages and lights and the wierd shaped stereo in the center. I was very dissapointed when i saw the picture.. Im more into the lexus ls430 type interior or q45... not the altima.. But ill wait and see when its finnaly out..

Adam
Old 12-30-2001, 04:34 AM
Learn to swim.

huh? 2 words and you get bent out of shape, and i'm the one whining like a girl?

Yes, you whine like a little girl.

and 2nd, it wasn't pulling rank or anything of the sort. i was expressing his "inexperience" for making assumptions that had nothing to do with my post.

You are in no position to point out any inexperience as you have not demonstrated any level of superior comprehension. You said NEWBIE and used it as a derrogatory remark. You display poor judgment and motive for doing so.

so if this is a free forum to all to post whatever they feel, then you have no right to criticize what i posted, especially considering what you are criticizing has NOTHING to do with you.

Wrong again. You made an assinine comment, I only chimed in at the "newbie" remark on your part. You made yourself to be an idiot and I happened to agree with the poster that critisized you for bashing the Nissan because it's perf. numbers outmatched the CL's. You know nothing of this car, and the only reason you speculate as you do is to minimize the effect when it is released and your ego is hit by a Nissan out-running you. Grow up or buy a Ferrari if your pride is so directly linked to your car.

and what gives you the right to judge who and what i am by what i post, especially from just 2 words?

Looks like a duck, walks like a duck. You get the drift, you are a fool.

and you're calling me a newbie? i've been here before since the h-a.net days.

Wow, you must be a real man then. Huh newbie?

so unless it was directed at you, or you are offended by it, or whatever, stay out of shit that doesn't concern you.

I was offended by your juvenile approach. The quality of this forum does concern me. I will confront anything I see in this forum that resembles OT. Usage of the word NEWBIE is utterly OT, juvenile, and should never be tolerated on this forum. You are foolish for trying such a tactic.

this is directed at you: hey asshole, fuck off.

Step off huh? Bring it girly, let's debate this. I would love to drag this out. You cannot stand on your own footing. you think you have something to say? Want to cry somemore about being picked on? Want to complain about the upcoming Nissan's interior of which you have seen nothing? What more do you have to say? Anything?
Old 12-30-2001, 07:17 AM
Suzuka Master

and one last thing...

kinda passed over this in the ramblings.

Lay off newbie.

This child and I have a history, I'm not just coming out of the blue with this animosity. The words I chose were careful and deserving.

What do you know of me, how is it that you know I lost nothing personal in these attacks? Listen Dim-witt, the city you live in harbors men who would shoot an abortion doctor...yada yada yada.
guess you sound like a 16 year old ASS, huh?
Old 12-30-2001, 12:00 PM
Learn to swim.

and one last thing...

Glad to see that you are doing your homework Dexter...

I am still not moved.
Old 12-30-2001, 12:01 PM
Learn to swim.

and one last thing...

I am still not moved.

You might want to consider that in this case, the word newbie is not being used to pull rank, but to demonstrate that if he had been around any longer than he had, he might have picked up on the conflict prior to his signing on to the board. In this case, it is relevant.
Old 12-30-2001, 12:15 PM
Suzuka Master

assholes will always be assholes.
Old 12-30-2001, 12:54 PM
Banned

I am still not moved.

You might want to consider that in this case, the word newbie is not being used to pull rank, but to demonstrate that if he had been around any longer than he had, he might have picked up on the conflict prior to his signing on to the board. In this case, it is relevant.
Ahahahahahahah , good one mrdeeno

Aeon, stop trying to cover your ass. :shakehd: :shakehd:

Damn, talk about foot in mouth
Old 12-30-2001, 03:31 PM
Intermediate

Don't sweat it aeon i see what your saying!! here's some pics of the " cheap infiniti interior"

http://forums.freshalloy.com/cgi-bin...&f=19&t=000087

I don't know what the crap that is by the stering wheel!!

http://auto.ascii24.com/auto24/auto2...618_06_14.html

http://members5.clubphoto.com/ken374...hoto1.jpg?8650[/IMG]

http://auto.ascii24.com/auto24/issue...0618_22_22.jpg
Old 12-30-2001, 05:04 PM
Pro

Originally posted by Red Rider
I like it. It depends on the price, but it's something i think most of us would have looked at if it was available when we bought.

More torque, RWD, better weight distribution, better gearing, Not bad.

Yeah , what he said!
Old 12-30-2001, 05:04 PM
Old timer

MrDeeno and Aeon - you guys gotta chill - you know, before a certain mod starts whining to the other mods about wanting to ban you like he does me.

You're not allowed to argue an opinion around here, or so I've come to realize. So be careful what you say. They are watching you.

and gun shotta: that interior DOES look crappy.
Old 12-30-2001, 05:09 PM
Pro

Originally posted by nt5k

you know this was the exact same thing i was thinking, it seems that most people are afraid that a better car will come and their manlihood will be diminished.. i like the g35 and is up there in my list. and even if it only has the 5 speed auto it will have better gearing:

2002 CL-S:
5-speed Sequential SportShift™ automatic transmission with Grade Logic Control

Ratios (: 1)

1st 2.563
2nd 1.551
3rd 1.021
4th 0.653
5th 0.470
Reverse 1.846
Final 4.428

G35 Gear Ratios

1st:3.540 auto
2nd:2.264
3rd:1.471
4th:1.000
5th:0.834
Reverse:2.370
Final drive:3.133

hmm how bout that, a transmission with more usable ratios, ok let me guess 'bad gas mileage' or wait there's no vtec..

DAMN that makes me ill! 4th gear in our car is really worthless!
OR 5th I suppose depending on what your priorities are.

I've had my car about 2 months now & really like it BUT sometimes I feel like I'm driving around with a 3spd transmission
with TWO overdrives! Those last 2 cogs seem redundant.

Anyone with Comptech Headers notice a difference above 110mph in 4th ??

OR can the increase in peak HP be felt above 5000rpms ?
Old 12-30-2001, 06:43 PM

Well the G35 and 6-speed Cl will make a splash for Infiniti/Nissan and Acura/Honda owners but that is it.

The G35 will have class leading what?

Quick Reply: New G35 specs...Wow!