new exterior mods for the Z (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005 | 09:26 AM
Drifting

new exterior mods for the Z (pics)

tried out a few things for the Z that i got off Ebay.

Mods:
JDM Fairlady/Z emblems
Eyelids
LED Side Strip
Hyper White Lighting
Polarg Blinkers (works better on the Z than the TL)
Tints all around (local tint shop)
Rear Taillamp Tints (C-C-C.net)
K&N Intake

thats about all im gonna do for exterior.
future mods:
NISMO headers/exhausts
deciding on rims/wheels

pics:
2005 Nissan 350Z Touring Silverstone/Carbon interior

such a nice ass.. yeah. need to stop spending so much money and time on this car since its nice enough already. gotta finish my future projects for the TL!!
Old 05-16-2005 | 10:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Go mods before Show mods
Old 05-16-2005 | 10:40 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by cTLgo
Go mods before Show mods
the Z is quick enough. if you look at my TL mod list, you'll see that i did most of what i could for "go" mods than "show" mods.

the Z has all the power i need, its not like i need it to go any quicker. rear wheel, 287hp. got an intake! but that was because i wanted more engine noise than the weird exhaust note it makes.. i personally am starting to really get annoyed with the exhaust note.. plus it sounds like every other nissan car out there.

the TL was quick, but feels too slow, so i got I/H/P. i dont want an exhaust because its loud enough right now. i dont like loud. the whole body is stock though. no kit, no rims, no drop, basicly no show at all. looks like any other stock TL. except for the rear taillamp tint.
Old 05-16-2005 | 10:49 AM
Former Sponsor

looks good, I tinted my taillights with this weird ass tint, but it came out like a matte finish, not glossy. did you do it yourself? were there any special tricks, or did you just mask it off and shoot?
Old 05-16-2005 | 10:59 AM
Drifting

its a film.. sorta like "rockblockers" material

all i did was spray soap water onto the tails, then i slowly laid down the tint onto the tails. then i used a hairblower and basicly smoothened out all the bubbles. it came our really nicely and the fit was perfect. i dont know what youre talking about with "mask and shoot" but its a tint film that i used.. check it out on c-c-c.net. i got this site from someone on the boards.. forgot who, but he works there.
Old 05-16-2005 | 11:20 AM
Former Sponsor

looks good, I tinted my taillights with this weird ass tint, but it came out like a matte finish, not glossy. did you do it yourself? were there any special tricks, or did you just mask it off and shoot?
Old 05-16-2005 | 11:28 AM
Former Sponsor

jeez, I friggin forgot that i posted that already, working too hard...
I thought it was a spray on tint, I think i'm gonna do that tint film, on my 03 tails for my CL, then leave the top clear portion white, and just tint the red part... for a euro look.
Old 05-16-2005 | 11:54 AM
Senior Moderator

I don't like the rear, but that's just me. I'm not feelin the multiple Z references (Z emblem, Z license plate, and Z fairlady Z badge). I prefer a cleaner rear. But as long as you're happy with it! I have just a Z logo in the back, and removed everything else (same emblem as yours).
Old 05-16-2005 | 12:00 PM
Senior Moderator

In my OPINION, the "go" mods for the Z are practically worthless. Hardly any performance gains to justify the cost. If you want some serious power, save the cash for FI. I see all thse people spend countless dollars on all this shit, if you really add up the costs and labor, they really are not that far from a ST, SC, or TT. My "performance" mods are limited to just my exhaust, only because of looks and sound. The 5-6 hp gains was a side benefit, but I knew that before getting the system. If you REALLY want to spend money on something that is valuable, get better brakes, rubber, and suspension (i.e. sways/springs/or coilovers). That makes the car 100x more fun to drive! We did a mini cruise after the meet on sunday, I had a great time taking some turns and going on some twistys with limited brake use (compared to a few other guys), and also taking some turns at least 10mph faster as well then the other guys.

Go mods before Show mods
Old 05-16-2005 | 12:26 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by rondog
jeez, I friggin forgot that i posted that already, working too hard...
I thought it was a spray on tint, I think i'm gonna do that tint film, on my 03 tails for my CL, then leave the top clear portion white, and just tint the red part... for a euro look.
nice! i also have my tails tintted on my TL. i hate the look of the orange on top with the reds.. so i covered everything. i love tinting the tails. just a piece of film,b but gives the rear a totally new look.

here's a pic of my TL with the tail tints:
Old 05-16-2005 | 12:27 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by synth19
I don't like the rear, but that's just me. I'm not feelin the multiple Z references (Z emblem, Z license plate, and Z fairlady Z badge). I prefer a cleaner rear. But as long as you're happy with it! I have just a Z logo in the back, and removed everything else (same emblem as yours).
i also dont like the multiple Z's right now. i bought the license plate frame long time ago.. then i just added the fairladyZ and the chrome Z center emblem not too long ago. im thinking of taking the license frame off, but it looks weird without the chrome part, so im just gonna buy a black chrome license frame later on.
Old 05-16-2005 | 12:30 PM
Drifting

In my OPINION, the "go" mods for the Z are practically worthless. Hardly any performance gains to justify the cost. If you want some serious power, save the cash for FI. I see all thse people spend countless dollars on all this shit, if you really add up the costs and labor, they really are not that far from a ST, SC, or TT. My "performance" mods are limited to just my exhaust, only because of looks and sound. The 5-6 hp gains was a side benefit, but I knew that before getting the system. If you REALLY want to spend money on something that is valuable, get better brakes, rubber, and suspension (i.e. sways/springs/or coilovers). That makes the car 100x more fun to drive! We did a mini cruise after the meet on sunday, I had a great time taking some turns and going on some twistys with limited brake use (compared to a few other guys), and also taking some turns at least 10mph faster as well then the other guys.
so true. the Z is quick enough to 60, and then it tops out at.. i still cant really tell since it accelerates pretty damn quick to 150.. haha. i dont think i topped out yet, and there's really no point for me to do any performance mods, especially since im not gonna be able to tell the difference much at all.. most likely just save up for the greddy TT later on, but other than that, why not do little things like exterior fun mods along the way???

i think the brakes on the Z is pretty damn grippy as is. haha i dont even have the brembos either. and for the turns.. damn, the thing just hugs those corners. compared to the TL, i dont know why i have to do anything else to the car. the TL is awesme and all, but the Z has everything it needs STOCK!!!! so no need to bash us Z owners with the nonsense about "GO" mods.
Old 05-16-2005 | 12:54 PM
Race Director

not diggin the headlight covers or the sidemarkers, but i like the overlays and the front emblem. New rims will make the single biggest visual impact on the Z. Also, get yourself a shorty s2k antenna.
Old 05-16-2005 | 01:08 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by zeroday
not diggin the headlight covers or the sidemarkers, but i like the overlays and the front emblem. New rims will make the single biggest visual impact on the Z. Also, get yourself a shorty s2k antenna.
thanks for the input.

by the way, where can i find the shorty antenna? ive been wanting one for a while. and how much est?
Old 05-16-2005 | 01:11 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Looks great I would put some nice deep dish rims for that sucker 19x10 in the rear. Your TL is loud as hell without and exhaust, I remember that loud ass whip from the meet.
Old 05-16-2005 | 01:14 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by CL Platano
Looks great I would put some nice deep dish rims for that sucker 19x10 in the rear. Your TL is loud as hell without and exhaust, I remember that loud ass whip from the meet.
haha yeah.. i want some nice rims on it. although i really like the stock rims alot. wish i could put it on the TL but it wont fit.

my TL.. ugh, i love the performance after the intake/header/pulley and NO exhausts.. but the sound its making right now.. it gets too loud especially at VTEC. but i guess its cool that i didnt have to get exhausts to make it sound louder..
Old 05-16-2005 | 01:17 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by aaronnn
thanks for the input.

by the way, where can i find the shorty antenna? ive been wanting one for a while. and how much est?
found mine on ebay...just searched for is300/s2k antenna. It was about 25
bucks. You can kinda see it in this pic (i dont have any closeups and the car's been sold):
Old 05-16-2005 | 01:27 PM
Drifting

oh ok! thanks for the reply. will look into it!

awesome color! haha. love the carbon fiber front lip and the gunmetal axis rims. those added on with my window/taillamp tints would look pretty damn fly too!
Old 05-16-2005 | 01:41 PM
Senior Moderator

^ look for the alteeza antenna, it's a perfect fit! Much better then the S2K antenna some people use. And reception is fine!
Old 05-16-2005 | 01:42 PM
Senior Moderator

oh yeah, I also don't like the sidemarkers either.
Old 05-16-2005 | 01:46 PM
Race Director

^ look for the alteeza antenna, it's a perfect fit! Much better then the S2K antenna some people use. And reception is fine!
now that you mention it im pretty sure mine was the altezza...my buddy got his from the honda dealer (s2k) and his didn't fit flush at the base like mine did.
Old 05-16-2005 | 03:07 PM
///M POWER

how do u not likt the exhaust not in a 350z, sounds sick and u can hear it all the way till redline unlike our cars
Old 05-16-2005 | 03:31 PM
Senior Moderator

the eyelids have to go.

asap.
Old 05-16-2005 | 05:06 PM
Senior Moderator

eyelids are definetly weak
Old 05-16-2005 | 05:32 PM
Senior Moderator

btw Ron, the Rockblocker stuff is really good... these are my smoked tails and sidemarkers, I'm sure you've seen enough 3rd gen TLs to know how RED these lenses are, but the smoked kit does a sweet job

Old 05-16-2005 | 06:03 PM
To punish and enslave

Go mods before Show mods

make it go faster. then you should decide to make it look stock or make it crazy-looking, i would keep the exterior stock except for a few weight reduction mods
Old 05-16-2005 | 07:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Not feeling the headlight covers at all. Stock lights look much better. Also I think the light strip cheapens the look of the car a little. Everything else looks
Old 05-16-2005 | 07:50 PM
Banned

looks good. not feeling the eyelids though, it makes me want to just rip them off. the Z has real nicely shaped headlights stock. ive seen a couple black Zs with yellow tinted headlights for that track look, and it looks SICK.... not sure how that would look on a silver car though.
Old 05-16-2005 | 09:50 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by TL CHROMETIDE

make it go faster. then you should decide to make it look stock or make it crazy-looking, i would keep the exterior stock except for a few weight reduction mods
people just dont read...

for the eyelids, it was 10 bucks off ebay. like i said, just trying things out. i dont have the kind of money to make the car go faster than it already is.. why the heck would i want to spend 300 dollars for intakes when it doesnt do much at all? 2hp is all i get on it.. plus, it comes with everything it pretty much needs. the most i can do is get a twinturbocharger, but come on now.. 6000 dollars? where am i gonna use 300+ hp on in northern jersey? especially with all this traffic/traffic lights. its pointless..

im not trying to become a track pro and whatnot. just love the way it drives.
thanks for the comments. good and bad.
Old 05-16-2005 | 09:52 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by darrinb
how do u not likt the exhaust not in a 350z, sounds sick and u can hear it all the way till redline unlike our cars
if you drive it everyday through traffic, crowded streets, quiet neighborhoods.. etc. trust me, it gets really obnoxious and annoying. the exhaust note is nice in low rpms, but this is a high revving car (which means it just jumps into high revs when not even pushed that hard). also when you turn the ignition on inside the garage, the whole house shakes.. well the whole neighborhood wakes up.