Negotiating invoice price on BMW or Audi?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2001, 05:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Negotiating invoice price on BMW or Audi?

I found that getting a good price, I mean invoice or just a bit above, for a BMW or Audi seems to be very difficult because sales people seem to have an attitude like they are selling you something that you are not worthy of, like you are buying water in the desert. I have not gone to great lengths to prove this theory totally, but had walked out on a few dealerships without them even stopping me. Anyone been able to negotiate a good deal on a BMW or Audi? I mean all the options you wanted and way below MSRP?

------------------
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...513&a=12224080
The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that deep down inside, we ALL believe that we are above average drivers.

[This message has been edited by Big_Pimp's_Type_S (edited 06-07-2001).]
Old 06-07-2001, 05:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts

and....

------------------
1998 Iced Blue CL 3.0 ** Some mods, but who cares, I want a Type-S!!

Moderator - 1st Gen Forum
Email: juniorbean@acura-cl.com
Old 06-07-2001, 05:31 PM
Burning Brakes

from personal exp at bmw dealers, they are real mf's, you cannot even get close to invoice. audi, i have no idea
check out an m/b.

------------------
01 BLK/BLK CL-S, FACTORY SPOILER, K/N DROP IN V-1
98 INFINITI I30T
99 MAXIMA SE
Old 06-07-2001, 05:38 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
and they shouldn't treat customers like that but i guess alot of rich ppl are real pricks so it doesn't matter them on most days. For dealerships i guess there is not point in lowering price because you know some rich lady is going to walk in and pay whatever the sticker says.

------------------
'01 Silver CL-Type S
!BEWARE THE SILVER SWORD!
Old 06-07-2001, 05:39 PM
Banned

The only thing your going to get invoice on is a base model that's been sitting on the lot for a few months.

------------------
2001 Cl-S Black on Black with Navigation
Black Tint all around (15%~45%)
Weapon-R Dragon Filter
Weapon-R Coil-Overs
Koni Adjustable Struts
Comptech Sway Bars
Comptech Headers (hehehe...I got something for you drchang!!)
14.698 @95.977mph....Sears Point Raceway.I think I need a Level 10 Torque Converter!!
Yes, I know I'm going to hell for wasting gas on Civics....
My Peoples
Old 06-07-2001, 05:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Zapata:
and they shouldn't treat customers like that but i guess alot of rich ppl are real pricks so it doesn't matter them on most days. For dealerships i guess there is not point in lowering price because you know some rich lady is going to walk in and pay whatever the sticker says.</font>
This is pretty much the reason you can't negotiate.....

Old 06-07-2001, 06:25 PM
Drifting

Then again a sale is better then no sale. They can always get another car for the rich lady.

Spiro

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by juniorbean:
This is pretty much the reason you can't negotiate.....

</font>

------------------
Black/Black 2001 CL-S
Random Technology Cat
RED AEM CAI
Polarg M6 Roadlamps
Old 06-07-2001, 06:34 PM
Safety Car

Well, yeah some other chump will walk in and pay MSRP +. Suckers are born everyday. However, I agree sale is a sale and dealer holdback is nice sometimes. I think if I tried working harder at gettting a good price, I think I am might have gotten that 330 at invoice, but I think even invoice was out of my price range. Also, some people have come to expect that if you want a brand, you have to pay extra and BMW, AUDI and Benz is a brand like that.

------------------
The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that deep down inside, we ALL believe that we are above average drivers.
Old 06-07-2001, 06:48 PM
Banned

I have always been treated well at a BMW dealership. Never hassled on the price and very friendly sales people. Do you live in a hickville town? If a few people haven't been able to get "their way" with a couple dealerships, they start to say that BMW dealers are pricks or "mf's" as someone said.

How were you dressed? You might say "its got nothing to do with that", but it does. If I have 2 guys who want to conduct business with me, one in a business suit or equally dressed and one in jeans and a t-shirt, I would probably tell the guy in the jeans to hold on while I talk with the guy in the suit. Be what it may, it makes a difference on how you dress and look when you go to these dealerships.

I can walk into a Kia dealership in jeans and every salesman would want to sell me a car. Try that in a BMW, MB, or Audi dealership and good luck getting attention, unless your a very mature looking guy.

My 2 cents in the barrel...

------------------
'98 Dakar Yellow ///M3
Surprise @ Forums atwww.BMWExperience.com
0-60 5.53 sec G-Tech
Picture here
Old 06-07-2001, 07:05 PM
Safety Car

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by M3Sins:
I have always been treated well at a BMW dealership. Never hassled on the price and very friendly sales people. Do you live in a hickville town? If a few people haven't been able to get "their way" with a couple dealerships, they start to say that BMW dealers are pricks or "mf's" as someone said.

How were you dressed? You might say "its got nothing to do with that", but it does. If I have 2 guys who want to conduct business with me, one in a business suit or equally dressed and one in jeans and a t-shirt, I would probably tell the guy in the jeans to hold on while I talk with the guy in the suit. Be what it may, it makes a difference on how you dress and look when you go to these dealerships.

I can walk into a Kia dealership in jeans and every salesman would want to sell me a car. Try that in a BMW, MB, or Audi dealership and good luck getting attention, unless your a very mature looking guy.

My 2 cents in the barrel...

</font>
Well, of course I was dressed well, perception is everything and I dont mess around with first impressions. I was not hassled on the price, but rather there was no point where negotiation was offered. I was informed of the price and thats it. I do look apart and I dont look young, hell I gotta to test drive a 330 by myself, without the dealer in the car. Oh yeah amd I did not say that the dealer was not nice, just that price negotiation seems to be not in the vocubalury of those dealers.

------------------
Old 06-07-2001, 07:06 PM
Moderator Alumnus

BMW's you really can't get killer deals on- 325Ci, 330Ci, 330Xi, Mcoupe (available only by special order now, Mroadster, 530i, 540i, 323i Touring, X5, 325 and 330 Convertibles,
There are good programs on the 325i, 330i 4 door from what I hear, 740 and 750 are on their way out (there has always been descent incentives on them, 740 more so). The Z3 can be negotiated.

M3, M5, Z8 aren't even a discussion.

Even in this somewhat ho hum economy, BMW's sell well, there just isn't enough product to go around.

So, basically- the models that matter, can't be heavily negotiated.

Beltfed
01 CL-S
00 Viper GTS

[This message has been edited by Beltfed (edited 06-07-2001).]
Old 06-07-2001, 07:12 PM
Safety Car

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Beltfed:

Even in this somewhat ho hum economy, BMW's sell well, there just isn't enough product to go around.

So, basically- the models that matter, can't be heavily negotiated.

</font>
Good point there, not enough product to go around, the old supply and demand. Also, the economy has been so good the last ten years, that no one really cares about negotiating, just sell some stock options and buy a bimmer. Its still there, evident on the kinda of demand on M3 and M5. Sales people got spoiled and they pass it on to the consumer.

------------------
Old 06-07-2001, 07:23 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Within the last year, "everyone" got spoiled-car salesman, contractors, Computer consultants, Stockbrokers, anything in the service or sales industry...."make the most while you can"- I really can't disagree.

You always know when there isn't enough cars to pick from- when the dealer doesn't have it in stock and can't be located (only thing to do is factory order it).

BMW is smart, like Audi- they don't whore their cars out (they are good at letting the demand exceed supply), yeah if your in a wealthy area- FL, CA, NY, etc....its seems like they are everywhere (because they are)- but thats not indicative or whats in the country...like "BS, I see 12 of those a day." .

Beltfed
01 CL-S
00 Viper GTS

[This message has been edited by Beltfed (edited 06-07-2001).]
Old 06-07-2001, 09:41 PM
Instructor

I went to my local BMW dealer last week. We were thinking of getting a new car. (Sorry no flames please!)

I talked to the sales manager for 2 hours about a 325i and a 330i. Both cars would have had approx. the same options.

I was not treated well at first, I was given an offer and told "see-ya-later" if I didnt like it. Well after 2 hours of negotiating All I could do was get him to come down to $1750 off the MSRP on the 330i, and he would not even deal on the 325i. Then he ran some B.S. "well if you had the cash, or were going to buy a car off the lot, the price would be lower."

It is hard to deal with them because like someone already said they will get some schmuck to pay full price.

Example:
The salesman told me that a couple days before I came in, a guy and his wife came in to buy her a convertible 330i (or something like that) and during the negotiations the husband looks outside and sees this Silver M5. (I believe him, I saw the car the week before, and when I was back the M5 was gone.) So he tells the sales manager "I'll take that one too!" So they charge the poor guy $10000 OVER STICKER! ($85,000 Ouch). But he paid it happily. when I was in the sales managers office he had the sales board behind him on the wall, and sure enough, there was a sale of the M5 and a convertible on the same day.

So they will hold out on dealing as long as there are people who happily pay the full price and then some.

------------------
2001 CL-P Emerald/Parchment
Soon to be tinted, and Stickered!
Old 06-07-2001, 09:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

If a few people haven't been able to get "their way" with a couple dealerships, they start to say that BMW dealers are pricks or "mf's" as someone said.</font>
Well, it's hardly a "few people". I've been treated the same way as well on the few occasions I've been to a BMW dealership. And if I had a nickel for every time I've heard someone say that BMW salesmen are pricks I'd have my car paid off!!

</font>
And the guy in jeans and a t-shirt is likely to have 10x the money of the guy in the suit. Ever read "The Millionaire Mind"? I know people make these kind of judgements all the time but the fact remains it equates to judging a book by it's cover which is sometimes not a good idea.
Old 06-07-2001, 11:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Hrrmm, this is interesting.

I bought our 328i (damn them for coming out with the 330i just over a year after we bought) from Global Import in Atlanta.

We went in to test drive and were immediately greeted and offered the drive quickly. I wasn't dressed in normal dress attire, as it was a Saturday afternoon. My next correspondence was through email. I issued the price I was willing to pay for a car they had to order. They responded with a counter. I didn't budge and they came back just asking to up the down payment by $500. I agreed and awaited delivery.

As in every other case I have heard, there is always an identical car 'on the boat'. So the 8-week wait turned into 3.

I picked up the car in a decent tee shirt and shorts and wasn't frowned upon. I have since been in there and regardless of dress, been treated well. IMO, although appearance is a significant initial issue (which seem to be prominent on this forum, all show...), the way you present yourself carries further.

BTW M3Sins, most 'hickville' towns have the most friendly dealers. Most metro areas have the more 'stuffy' dealers.