Moving from an 02 911 to ----

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 03:10 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
Originally Posted by NSX7
Actually the 911 is a very nice dd - my kids are 7&5 so they fit perfectly in the back seats - I even went to Costco and had to fit all these boxes in the car - it was quite an adventure - selling it is more for financial and mental wisdom - that's all

basically it's a fight right now between passion and wisdom
I sold my boxster after i got my rl. I looked at the figures and also decided to sell it. I wanted that much more to put down on a house in 5 years. You can't(shouldn't) live in a car.

Owning it wasn't a hardship at all, i just had other priorities.
I miss the car, but i like to see the bank acct add up more.

It is a difficult decision but only you know the right one.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:16 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
^ Didn't know you sold it already. Did you even own it for a year?
Old 09-30-2010, 03:26 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
^ Didn't know you sold it already. Did you even own it for a year?
18 months. I wanted to sell before the end of the summer.

I sold it for what i paid for it. I did put tires on and a few other things, but it all worked out in the end.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
6MT Acura TL for sure...

Civic is nice but A) Its still a Civic and B) Reving to 7k to get any power gets old...quick
Old 09-30-2010, 07:12 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go with the TL. WARNING: Mod bug may bite you and you will be craving to mod your car
Old 09-30-2010, 07:16 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Kids ruin everything!
Old 09-30-2010, 08:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
so what you guys are saying is that I will never grow up and get rid of that bad addiction
Yes. That is exactly what we are saying.

Nothing wrong with it. I'm not sure I would have put all that on a credit line with not a good plan to pay it off, though. I can understand why you want to get out of it.

Good luck with your decision!
Old 09-30-2010, 10:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
get the tl ... you can keep it for a while, it will age well, and will be reliable when you have it esp with the 6spd
Old 09-30-2010, 10:15 PM
Lt. Gamble

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts
so what you guys are saying is that I will never grow up and get rid of that bad addiction

If that is the case, might as well keep the 911 and avoid losing money buying and selling cars
Yes. Thats the first step in dealing with your addiction is accepting and realizing the fact that you have one.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:19 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by KaMLuNg
id go with the TL or TL-S 6MT or Subie... the civic is too small..
how is the civic even remotely in the same class as the tl or subie

Originally Posted by runnerboy23
I would say the Subaru Legacy GT beacuse you live in canada then the TL . x2 for Pictures of the Porsche
as said, since you are a go for the AWD (btw the turbo motors DO NOT have the same head gasket issues as the natually aspirated ones do [at least the older NA ones])

only thing is make sure to keep on those oil changes with the turbo, or the turbo will be taken out in short order (not really that bad, but they have had there fair share of damaged turbos)
Old 10-01-2010, 02:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pttl
TL if you want a nice interior. Legacy if you want 4wd. Both will be good for dd.
This.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:03 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
Yes. That is exactly what we are saying.

Nothing wrong with it. I'm not sure I would have put all that on a credit line with not a good plan to pay it off, though. I can understand why you want to get out of it.

Good luck with your decision!

I definitely had a plan to pay it all off like in 3 years - but looking at our expenses, it maybe 4-5 years - the issue is all the "What ifs" especially when the car is out of warranty in 1.5 years
Old 10-01-2010, 08:06 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Then getting the itch to take it to the track like I always wanted to do, which is another expense and a major financial risk. It will also increase the amount of years when it's all paid off

It is a very bad addiction and it does not stop - there is always something
Old 10-01-2010, 08:48 AM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
You are in a very unique situation with the ages of your kids. This is a limited time opportunity for you to have a 911 as a dd. If you sell the car now you won't be able to pull this off in 3-5 years when the kids are bigger. You only live once, hold on the the 911 until the family outgrows it then replace it with a more "adult" car that fits the family.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:17 AM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I've looked at two of those cars in my shopping and can give a few impressions, but I haven't owned either, and I definitely haven't looked at a car after owning a Porsche.

The last generation Legacy GT is very tempting, but living with a turbocharged engine--especially a heavily boosted one--worries me. I guess some models have had issues with oil flow, as well. Unfortunately, the lesser, non-turbo Legacies are much more mild. The GTs also drink a fairly large amount of premium gas (I think around 20MPG mixed). Still, take one for a drive if you can. It's kind of a different experience. Some things I liked, others I didn't, even just in the cabin layout/driving position. There's still the WRX...

The Civic Si, like the RSX-S (and probably the Subaru WRX, although it's a sedan), will have absurd insurance rates. I never priced a 911, so your perspective may be that it's cheap, but I found yearly insurance was nearly twice that of a BMW 3-Series or Infiniti G35. An RSX-S was even significantly more than a Mazdaspeed 3, despite the Acura's being far less powerful and easier to control. I guess if a car's both reasonably quick and popular with men under the age of 25, the insurance companies try to price it out of existence. Well, possibly for a reason considering how hard it is to find a non-wrecked, non-riced Integra, RSX or Civic Si.

I haven't looked much at the TL, since it's too large for my personal preference. Have you looked at the 1st gen TSX? I tried a couple and liked them quite a bit (although it fell short of love). They're pretty impressive.

Other cars that seem interesting to me are:
- the Mazda and Mazdaspeed 6 and 3, but they have serious rust issues where I live (and the Speeds have turbos)
- the Infiniti Gs, although my previous experience with Nissan was a little mixed (I've owned two) and their manual transmissions aren't in Honda or BMW's class.
- And one from left field, the Suzuki Kizashi. If a local dealer actually bothers to stock a manual version, I'll see if I can take it for a drive. It's not exactly mainstream, however, so finding parts and the resale value may be considerations.

Personally, I might wind up with a BMW 328i, although I didn't think I'd ever say such a thing not so long ago.

Although I think maybe I should start on my own personal car addiction and look for 90s Hondas, 80s BMWs, 70s Mercedes and maybe a couple of 60s muscle cars.

Edit - As for your addiction, Gran Turismo 5 is coming out in a little over a month. Don't grow up too much to play that. It's not a real collection of cars and tracks, but it's not bad.

Last edited by Carraway; 10-01-2010 at 10:21 AM.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:33 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,048 Posts
I'd take the Legacy if you're interested primarily in performance, especially with the AWD. Living in Toronto, I honestly don't think it'll be that big of an asset in the winter as opposed to FWD, especially with a proper set of winter tires. But it'll make for a better handling, and more fun car.

However I've sat and ridden in many Legacys and IMO the interior of the TL is a class above. It'll also make you value door pillars much more.

What about something like a G35? Fun, practical, decent interior, powerful, and pretty affordable.

Originally Posted by runnerboy23
I would say the Subaru Legacy GT beacuse you live in canada then the TL . x2 for Pictures of the Porsche
I hate this weather naievete (sp). It's not like the weather automatically drops 20 degrees when you cross the border, and we don't get feet of snow every week. Toronto weather is very similar to the tri-state area for the most part. Cold in the winter, hot in the summer.

Yes.

Originally Posted by pttl
With 2 kids you definitely need a different daily driver. TL if you want a nice interior. Legacy if you want 4wd. Both will be good for dd.
This.

Then getting the itch to take it to the track like I always wanted to do, which is another expense and a major financial risk. It will also increase the amount of years when it's all paid off

It is a very bad addiction and it does not stop - there is always something
Nothing wrong with taking a Legacy to the track, I'm sure with a few choice mods you'll fit right in and have plenty of fun. Not to mention you can get plenty of track cars for cheaper. An old Z car or Supra would be ideal.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
Aren't modern porsches pretty reliable?
#1 JD Power short term and 3 year.

Originally Posted by nokiaman
Unless it's a C4S at least with decent mileage, I'd say he overpaid.
You lived in Canada right Mark? I heard cars are 30-40% more than USD?!?!

Originally Posted by 03tLsNBP
i would consider "growing up" to be moving on to a Porsche 911 haha.

considering your choices, get the LGT.
Best solution, OP should save some cheese and get into a 997.

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
I would get what ever picks up more chicks. Maybe a Red Corvette Convertible

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Win

If that is the case, might as well keep the 911 and avoid losing money buying and selling cars
Nah, get rid of the 996. No offense but that generation is like the ugly stepchild we all pretend to ignore Everytime I see those headlights I think about yolk running out of a sunnyside up egg.

Originally Posted by TheMirror
Glossary for non-Porsche fanatics:

RMS - Rear main seal (crankshaft)
IMS - Intermediate shaft (camshaft drive)

Porsche now has a good procedure to check for RMS issues and a much improved seal. The IMS problem is actually a bad bearing design, which has seen several updates from Porsche with mixed success. The early M96 engined cars had more instances of both these problems (97-01 Boxster, 99-01 911). LN engineering does seem to have the best fixes for these issues.

These cars are easy enough to work on for everything you can get to......
Early 2005 997's were notorious for the RMS issues which Porsche corrected for late 2005 and moving forward.

Actually the 911 is a very nice dd - my kids are 7&5 so they fit perfectly in the back seats - I even went to Costco and had to fit all these boxes in the car - it was quite an adventure - selling it is more for financial and mental wisdom - that's all

basically it's a fight right now between passion and wisdom
I do Sam's Club runs in the C2S more often than my Element. The only problem is when I'm trying to fit cases of Stella Artois, Vitamin Water, Gatorade, Red Bull and 3 bottles of vodka into the front trunk. Thankfully, the rear seats fold forward to provide enough room for my 36 rolls of TP
Old 10-01-2010, 09:00 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,048 Posts
Wasn't the whole point of the 911's rear seats to be able to stack beer cases? Not like they're good for much else anyways
Old 10-01-2010, 09:08 PM
Welcome to Olliewood

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts
Hold onto it for another year then list it. It'll sell by the time its out of warranty, and you have another 12 months with her.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Aman
Wasn't the whole point of the 911's rear seats to be able to stack beer cases? Not like they're good for much else anyways
Hey, I fit a couple 90 lb Japanese girls in the back a few times. Them and small children I guess.

"Watch the f-ckin leather!"
Old 10-01-2010, 09:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by HBaJ
Hold onto it for another year then list it. It'll sell by the time its out of warranty, and you have another 12 months with her.
Sound advice. Enjoy the P-car and when the new iteration of the 911 comes out in late 2011 (991 as 2012 model), take advantage of depreciated pricing on an 06 C4 997 and call it a day.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Is it safe to say that the TL will generally be more reliable and cost less to maintain? or is that a myth?

I really want to sell the 911 because it is not wise to put $40,000 on a credit line that you don't know when it will be paid off

$15,000 on the credit line is definitely way more manageable
They should be close in reliability. Maintenance on a German car will always be more then a Japanese car. Maintenance on a German sports car will be a bit higher then that as well. Again, you got to pay to play.

From your comments so far it sounds to me as if you didn't think this through or do much research at all. Between the maintenance questions and the fact that you dropped 40 large on your credit line ( ) plus it's your DD when you have smaller kids and live in Canada (yes you can put on snows and yes the kids will grow, but still) leads me to think you need to step back... get your ducks in a row... then make a decision as to whether or not you want to keep it or dump it.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:18 PM
Disinformation Terminator

Originally Posted by surfer rick

Early 2005 997's were notorious for the RMS issues which Porsche corrected for late 2005 and moving forward.
Not sure I understand that statement, there's no evidence of 2005 MY year cars being drastically more prone to RMS leaks. Indeed the M97 engined cars did carry RMS updates, and there were some improvements in manufacturing from 2006 onward so maybe that's what you're alluding to?
Old 10-02-2010, 02:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TheMirror
Not sure I understand that statement, there's no evidence of 2005 MY year cars being drastically more prone to RMS leaks. Indeed the M97 engined cars did carry RMS updates, and there were some improvements in manufacturing from 2006 onward so maybe that's what you're alluding to?
Do a search on the Porsche forums Mirror. It's a well known point of discussion amongst 997 owners regarding the early production 997. Apparently, at least 4 RMS updates have been implemented but I read about RMS failures occurring in 2007 997s and GT3s as well. Some purport the early production 997s to be basic carryovers of the 996 engines when alluding to the higher incident of RMS failures compared to later production 997s.

1)
I have changed 2 997/987 rms, one was a brand new car with 300 miles that the seal was misinstalled, the other was a very early 997 that somehow got an old style seal (i hear there may be a fair number of those but ive only seen one ). We have had new style seal cars with leaks, maybe 8-10 or so sicne they were released , but considering that we servcice hundreds of cars a month thats nothing. I used to to 4-6 a week some weeks on 9x6 cars, The new seal, and the new instlation tool which I assure everybody that your dealers are using, as the old seal isnt avaiable and the old tool wont work on ptfe seals. The rms is no longer an "issue" and people need to get informed instead of justing copying and pasting everything they hear and getting "chicken little" syndrome
nteresting....

2)
Your 997 has the same basic issues as the 996 & 986 when it comes to RMS - namely that the design leaves the engine prone to developing RMS and IMS leaks over time.

Newer RMS seals make this happen less frequently, but the issue is still there - time will tell how many are eventually effected as the 997 power plant ages.
Old 10-02-2010, 03:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 236 Likes on 97 Posts
You lived in Canada right Mark? I heard cars are 30-40% more than USD?!?!
I remember back looking at an 09 C4S in with a few options being 160k.

An 07 GT3 w/ 4k miles still goes for about 120.

Last edited by nokiaman; 10-02-2010 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 03:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Dizzam, how come I see so many balling whips when I'm in Vancouver? I swear going by Stanley Park I must have seen a dozen 911s not to mention several exotics. Same thing with AU. When I was in Sydney, I saw a half dozen R8s, bunch of 911s, Bentleys, etc. which apparently are up to 200% USD after factoring in taxes, fees, and what have you.

BTW, my colleague picked up a grey/red GT3 RS. He doesn't think he can even bring it into our parking garage despite the $3500 hydraulic option. All he complains about is how much his ass hurts driving it and how heavy the damn clutch is
Old 10-02-2010, 06:27 PM
Disinformation Terminator

Some purport the early production 997s to be basic carryovers of the 996 engines when alluding to the higher incident of RMS failures compared to later production 997s.
Yes, there was a mid-year update in the '05 cars with the RMS design, but as you say there have been failures for post-'05 cars too as well as with the GT3 block wait, why am I quibbling about this on an Acura board? Sorry for the thread hijack guys, I'll shut up.