Motorcycle Help. Any input?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 07:40 PM
Cars are an addiction

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motorcycle Help. Any input?

Hey all. Since I sold the CL and got a truck, I have been snooping around cycle shops in the area. Now I dont have any 2 wheel experience, but have years riding ATV's. Both sport and 4x4. So I have been kicking around the idea of a bike. My best frined has just got a '04 Bandit 1200 and I took it for a ride. Nice, but to big and to much power for my taste. So I have 2 bikes in mind. I dopnt want new because I am afraid I wont ride as much as I liek and end up selling it, and new bikes take a hugh hit.

So I have been looking used Kawasaki Ninja 500r and the Suzuki gs500f. Both as 500cc bikes that offer about the same specs. And I like them equallt to look at and sit on. Just wanted to know if anyone had to put in on this matter.

I know thay are only 500cc, but I rode a friends 500 naked bike around the block and was happy with the power it had. And hell, they still do 140.... I just dont need to get there in the blink on an eye...

Thanks all.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:03 PM
Well, I dunno...

Ask Katana - everyone respects his choices in motorcycling...

Anyways, a ninja 500 is a real good starter bike IMHO. But if I was gonna give my reccomendation I would say look for a used R6. Lightweight, real fast without being overly so, and looks a HELL of a lot better than most others. I dont think you will outgrow it as fast as a 500, and it will still be a good learner bike as long as you can control yourself.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:05 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
.....as always stated when these threads come up.....Take the MSF! It will save your butt.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:11 PM
Well, I dunno...

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
.....as always stated when these threads come up.....Take the MSF! It will save your butt.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
And save you some on your insurance too

:IBTKatanaPosts: (and phil2, eggplant, etc, etc)
Old 10-21-2004, 08:32 PM
Cars are an addiction

Yeah, I am taking the riders safety course in the spring. Even if I have a bike of not.

Why dont women see cycles as guys do. Hell, I brought it up to my Mom and she said she would give me $25,000 to not get a bike. And my fiancee is not happy, but atleast she realizes that I am an adult and she cant stop me.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:29 PM
6 speed...

Originally Posted by CLean
I know thay are only 500cc, but I rode a friends 500 naked bike around the block and was happy with the power it had. And hell, they still do 140.... I just dont need to get there in the blink on an eye...
neither the ninja 500 nor the gs500 ('e' or 'f' model) will do 140 mph, unless they are plummeting from an airplane...

but they are both excellent beginner bikes. the ninja 500 is definitely faster than the gs500, but it's pretty user friendly.

if it was my cash, I'd pick the ninja 500 (especially a late model one with the 17" rims and front/rear discs).

take the msf, wear a helmet, don't be an ass in traffic.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:46 PM
Beware of leakage

*warning*
If you get a bike, whatever you do, do not post your racing or speeding stories, or it will be flamed more than wearing a pink sweater vest with a pink shirt with a popped collar.

Good luck though
oh, and if you do get one, beee carful mang
Old 10-21-2004, 09:47 PM
Homeless

Originally Posted by tankmonkey
but they are both excellent beginner bikes. the ninja 500 is definitely faster than the gs500, but it's pretty user friendly.

if it was my cash, I'd pick the ninja 500 (especially a late model one with the 17" rims and front/rear discs).

take the msf, wear a helmet, don't be an ass in traffic.
Sound Advice!

Honda also makes a good naked bike, check them out. My 2 cents ~ it's easier to drive an inline 4 than a V when starting out(from my experience).
Old 10-21-2004, 10:06 PM
Oh yeah!

Yeah, I am taking the riders safety course in the spring. Even if I have a bike of not.

Why dont women see cycles as guys do. Hell, I brought it up to my Mom and she said she would give me $25,000 to not get a bike. And my fiancee is not happy, but atleast she realizes that I am an adult and she cant stop me.

Ouch, I have a bike --- although my mom was not at all happy about it

Although she was being a hypocrit because her and my dad had a bike when they first were married and only got rid of it cause they got a dog

Anyway, the MSF course rocks - I had NO bike experience before I took it and by the end I felt like I learned so much, got my bike in August and have had no problems or close calls since :knocksonwood:

As far as the bike, I cant help out too much, I bought a criuser, good luck though
Old 10-21-2004, 11:50 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by fizzle
But if I was gonna give my reccomendation I would say look for a used R6. Lightweight, real fast without being overly so, and looks a HELL of a lot better than most others. I dont think you will outgrow it as fast as a 500, and it will still be a good learner bike as long as you can control yourself.
I think you'll definitely outgrow the 500 and kick yourself for not getting the 600. Since you're just learning, make sure you use some common sense...try not to take it out when u know there will be a lot of traffic; it's everybody else you gotta worry about...
Old 10-22-2004, 01:11 AM
Banned

sorry boys, i was out riding, didnt see this till now. if you dont want or need much power, those bikes are perfect for you. Get one of them. But, if you do want some serious speed eventually, dont get get em. get at least a 1000. and yea, dont ever post any stories. Flame city and your reps take a dive. But oh well, what can ya do. Just be careful, and always wear gear!
Old 10-22-2004, 01:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Old 10-22-2004, 07:22 AM
Homeless

Originally Posted by Katana18
sorry boys, i was out riding, didnt see this till now. if you dont want or need much power, those bikes are perfect for you.
Those bikes have plenty of power, let alone a 600cc.

CLean sounds like he's trying to start responsibly Eric, let's not steer him toward a 1000 until the boy can handle himself properly on a smaller bike.

*Afterall, we don't want him flying down the road doin 140MPH getting chased by the cops until he has atleast 2 full weeks of riding experience.*
Old 10-22-2004, 07:41 AM
Pro

You should seriously consider either a Suzuki SV650 or even a Ducati M620 or M800. The V twins (espeically Ducati) are light and have the most user friendly power band you can imagine. The Ducati's are a little more maintenance intensive, but if you are good with a wrench you will end up loving your Italian mistress. I'd never do without mine.

The SV650 really is a nice little gem though. You would not outgrow one of those like you would one of the 500's. You owe it to yourself to try. And I would stay away from an inline 4. You need to rev those things too much to get what you need out of them. Especially in typical around town driving. Just think of how you will use the bike. If you're going to track it then a bike that will rev to 13k is probably for you. If you're going to run errands, and just generally get around, why have a bike that you will only ever use the bottom 33% of the power band. Get the V twins, at least test ride one of each. What I'm saying will be so immediately obvious.
Old 10-22-2004, 11:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by chris3240929

CLean sounds like he's trying to start responsibly Eric, let's not steer him toward a 1000 until the boy can handle himself properly on a smaller bike.

*Afterall, we don't want him flying down the road doin 140MPH getting chased by the cops until he has atleast 2 full weeks of riding experience.*

Good point.
Old 10-22-2004, 11:26 AM
Banned

Hey all. Since I sold the CL and got a truck, I have been snooping around cycle shops in the area. Now I dont have any 2 wheel experience, but have years riding ATV's. Both sport and 4x4. So I have been kicking around the idea of a bike. My best frined has just got a '04 Bandit 1200 and I took it for a ride. Nice, but to big and to much power for my taste. So I have 2 bikes in mind. I dopnt want new because I am afraid I wont ride as much as I liek and end up selling it, and new bikes take a hugh hit.

So I have been looking used Kawasaki Ninja 500r and the Suzuki gs500f. Both as 500cc bikes that offer about the same specs. And I like them equallt to look at and sit on. Just wanted to know if anyone had to put in on this matter.

Thanks all.
Get a SV650.....people are raving about that bike
Old 10-22-2004, 11:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by chris3240929

I definitely agree...the SV650 would be perfect...its a bike that is forgiving for a beginner, sporty (you can buy the lower fairings), probably won't grow out of it for 2 years or so....

The 500s are good too...just depends on your preference.

It is a very well-known fact that when you get a smaller displacement bike and really start riding...you'll start wanting more power....within say 3-6 months.
Old 10-22-2004, 11:57 AM
Suzuka Master

i have a friend to started off with a SV650...he just got the full fairings for it. sweet bike.

CLean, i would highly recommend making a vist to www.beginnerbikes.com, they will give you real solid advice on what bike to start off with. i was torn between an ex500 and ex250, but because i feel i will ultimately be riding a cruiser, i decided to go with the ex250. cheaper, best bang for the buck, and you can pretty much sell it for what you paid for it, if purchased used, when you decide you've outgrown it and need another bike.

many people go through bikes faster than they go through cars, so do the right and responsible thing of learning with a bike that won't get you into trouble. the bike, even an ex250 will be faster than you will be in the beginning. develop good riding skills and then you'll be happy to upgrade down the line...since this won't be your last bike, it's just your first.
Old 10-22-2004, 02:12 PM
Advanced

I did my course and started riding this year... Absolutely love it. I ended up buying a used 2000 Honda CBR600 F4i. Awesome bike. I trained on a 500 and it lost it's appeal right away. Trust me get a 600 and take it easy for the first while.....

I might trade in and get a 600 RR next summer.

ciao
Old 10-22-2004, 02:33 PM
Mazda3 and Honda Civic in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you picked two very good starter bikes. The ninja500 and gs500 have been around for ages and good all around bikes. I would look ant the bandit 600, great standard bike with good looks and a little more power than the 500's. The 500's are good for scootin around town, buuuuuuut I would step up a smidge and look at the bandit. I also sold both bikes at one time at the dealership I worked at, if you have any more questions just holler.

ps... as above stated the SV650 is great bike as well
Old 10-22-2004, 03:02 PM
Cars are an addiction

Thanks for all your input all.

Now all I have to do is cut my Umbilical cord and I will fine. (haha) I live at home along with my fiancée. We are getting married in 11 months and at that point we will be either building or buying a house. But till then, my Mom still thinks she has to worry about her 26 year old son. My fiancée is actually kinda cool with the bike idea. She also knows that I am an adult and she cont stop me either. But Mom and Dad think otherwise. So I might just end up keeping it at a friends house…

I like the SV650’s. But for some reason, when I am on a naked bike, I feel like I am falling off all the time. But when I am on a bike with fairing, I feel safer. I know it is just plastic, but the mind is a powerful thing.

But again, thanks for the info.
Old 10-22-2004, 04:10 PM
Mazda3 and Honda Civic in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for all your input all.

Now all I have to do is cut my Umbilical cord and I will fine. (haha) I live at home along with my fiancée. We are getting married in 11 months and at that point we will be either building or buying a house. But till then, my Mom still thinks she has to worry about her 26 year old son. My fiancée is actually kinda cool with the bike idea. She also knows that I am an adult and she cont stop me either. But Mom and Dad think otherwise. So I might just end up keeping it at a friends house…

I like the SV650’s. But for some reason, when I am on a naked bike, I feel like I am falling off all the time. But when I am on a bike with fairing, I feel safer. I know it is just plastic, but the mind is a powerful thing.

But again, thanks for the info.

HAHA.... I feel your pain. I could not have a bike living underneath my parents. So the day I got into my own place I went out and bought my CBR600F3, I mean the SAME DAY!. This was back in 99
Old 10-22-2004, 05:44 PM
Burning Brakes

both of those bikes are good starter bikes, try to get it used, save some money and gain some experience then buy what you really want. Good Luck and Ride Safe