Motorcycle airbags?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 09:26 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Motorcycle airbags?!?!

wait for it...... wait for it...... wait for it..... or just skip to 0:50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHkRssXMw9g

We traveled out to Alpinestars' U.S. headquarters near Los Angeles, California today so that the giant manufacturer of automotive and motorcycle safety gear could show us its latest high-tech hardware. The most important aspect of the visit was a closely held trade secret, but it's now out in the open: the Tech Air Race motorcycle suit.

Airbags in motorcycle suits aren't necessarily anything new, but the big breakthrough here is that the system is small enough to be integrated directly into the Electronic Airbag Protection Suit and is controlled by a high-tech electronic brain. As Alpinestars says, a motorcycle crash isn't all that difficult to describe in words, but in mathematical terms, things get much more difficult.

As such, there is a very complicated set of algorithms that are constantly monitoring the rider's movements, and there are five levels of programing that ensures the airbag doesn't deploy when it's not necessary. First and foremost, though, the system does not arm unless it senses the rider is moving and the engine is running. Interestingly, it's been tested on machines powered by both internal combustion engines and electric motors.

It takes a total of about eight milliseconds for the electronic brain to determine whether a crash is imminent. Once the seven sensors placed all over the suit trigger the airbag system, it takes just 50 milliseconds to fully inflate and stays fully inflated for about five seconds. After 25 seconds or so, the bag completely deflates. After the event, a GPS system is used to help determine exactly where the accident took place.

Alpinestars' airbag system includes two separate cylinders that set off a cold charge of nitrogen. It takes roughly one minute for the system to rearm itself after the initial firing. Currently, Ben Spies, Mika Kallio and Dani Pedrosa are running the data logging suits at MotoGP races.

So, what does the future hold for the Tech Air technology? Alpinestars promises that there will be applications for racing, street and even off-road riding. Currently, the initial consumer-ready suits are targeted for June of 2011, and other applications will follow in the coming years.

Time will tell how effective such active safety technologies prove, but Alpinestars' data certainly looks compelling. At present, the technology is expected to add roughly $2,500 to the cost of a standard suit. A hefty tag for sure, but it's tough to put a price on safety.
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/29/a...-air-race-mot/
Old 04-30-2010, 09:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Yeah, this really isn't anything super new. Dainese has had one for a couple years now and a few riders have been using them in competition. Rossi and Lorenzo have been wearing them since 2007 or 2008 and so far they have worked out very well.

It will likely be a few years before they are affordable for the masses, but they are trending in the right direction...
Old 04-30-2010, 09:34 AM

First I've heard of it, but I don't have my own bike. Ridden a couple of sportbikes, fun as hell. Even for $5-600 I'd definitely get that gear.... hard to put a price on safety and peace of mind. If it means the difference between broken ribs and a cracked sternum vs. a bruised chest, hell yeah I'll take it. Eventually it should be even cheaper though, or at least I'd hope.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:39 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Mourning Would
First I've heard of it, but I don't have my own bike. Ridden a couple of sportbikes, fun as hell. Even for $5-600 I'd definitely get that gear.... hard to put a price on safety and peace of mind. If it means the difference between broken ribs and a cracked sternum vs. a bruised chest, hell yeah I'll take it. Eventually it should be even cheaper though, or at least I'd hope.
I'd expect them to be around $1k -$1,500 or so. At least in the short term. Today, a good riding suit costs about $600 or more without the airbag system... so you have to figure cost at least $1000 with the system. Of course over time the technology will become more common place and that may fall... but I think we are a long while away from $500-$600 airbag suits. Maybe by the middle to latter part of this decade...
Old 04-30-2010, 09:42 AM

damn, I knew gear was expensive, but I didn't think it was that much. Should have figured as much though. Gotta pay to play.... wouldn't catch me dead (literally) riding a motorcycle with a tank top and flip flops.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:45 AM
Senior Moderator

^ Yeah, full suits are pricey, and good ones (especially name brand) are even more expensive. A good name brand suit (AlpineStars, Dainese, etc) will cost you over a grand easily.

I typically ride with Kevlar armored jeans and an armored jacket (and of course gloves, boots, and a helmet). Full setup costs much less then a suit. I personally would not invest in a suit unless I start tracking my bike or start riding much more seriously and aggressively, or even longer distances. I'm more of a casual rider right now, so a suit is overkill for me.

Last edited by juniorbean; 04-30-2010 at 10:08 AM.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:02 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
Yeah, they've been around for a few years now. I know of a couple guys who ride with the air type jackets.

Some of the Honda Goldwing motorcycles actually have airbags installed on the bike. They function similar to that of a car, inflating upon contact with an object.

Terry
Old 04-30-2010, 10:29 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
^^ Yup, the goldwing has had an airbag for years now.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:52 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,171 Likes on 686 Posts
Pretty cool stuff. They have a similar kind of thing for eventing horses where you have a tether on the saddle and when you fall your vest inflates. Super cool idea that works well but I believe it is about $1,100 in the equestrian circles