Mod'ed cars are more attractive to cops?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 09:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
People mod cars so they stand out... if you want to avoid LE, you want to blend in...

I drive an "arrest me red" CL, but I've never been pulled over, 'cause it's stock, and the styling is kinda bland, and I drive like a normal adult....
Old 03-22-2009, 10:13 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
i get harassed all the tim ein my tl. never in my corolla or my girls tiburon
Old 03-22-2009, 10:40 AM
Ex-King of Pasadena

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WdnUlik2no
I certainly believe modded cars do attract more attention to everyone, not just cops. Based on your story, I really don't see anything you did wrong, but I suppose if the cop thinks you cut that other driver off, then I SUPPOSE the ticket is valid but sounds a bit ticky tack; people do that and much worse than that here with cops around and never get pulled over. Ditto on the failure to signal, it is illegal, but around here, if cops stopped EVERYONE who didn't signal then they'll be pulling over people every 10 minutes. I always signal, but most people don't. However, in the future its a good idea ALWAYS signal to avoid something like this again. I even signal in turn only lanes; just a habit of mine.

Final word of advice, unless you have to get another lane to make a turn, NEVER switch lanes with a cop behind you; makes you look real suspicious especially if he thinks your trying to get away from him; as long as your going to the speed limit he has no reason to pull you over and if he want to pass you he will. Additionally, never brake if a cop is behind you; makes you look even more suspicious. I can't count how many times I've seen a cop pull up behind a car and the person all of a sudden the person in the car starts tapping his brakes every 5 - 10 seconds and ends up getting pulled over. Again if you're going the speed limit should be no reason to brake.

I would definitely take this to court, if this is your only offense or first in quite a while the judge may show leniency on you. Explain your story, and offer to take traffic school in exchange for the ticket to be thrown out. I would say get a lawyer, but based on what you've said you really don't want to spend a lot of money on this.
i dunno if i consider this my only offense..
i had ticket's last year, for speeding.. 51 on 40. Took the traffic school already for it already.
but this year, none.
and yeaa, getting a lawyer might cost more than just paying the ticket lol.
How does the court look like tho??
Beside the judge and the police, is there gonna be like a lot of other people around too?? (like what shown on tv.?) If so, i dun think i can do really well on talking.. @@

Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
I've gotten more tickets in my boring Infiniti sedan than I did in my modded CLs. I got pulled over a lot more in the CLs.

That said....turning without signaling is still illegal, so quit your whining and just say "lesson learned."
i dun think i said that i got the ticket because i failed to signal... ==

Got it because the cops said that i cut the driver off when i change lanes. (and yes, i did signal be4 doing the lane change).

i did have the 'lesson learned' thing, if i didn't, i won't be here starting this thread, and be just paying it off when the ticket comes. lol.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:45 AM
Ex-King of Pasadena

Originally Posted by a2ndragoon89
no the judge will not add charges of any sort...he can only hear what happened and give you the final verdict. he wasn't there when the incident happened, so he can only hear two sides of the story...yours and the police officers

what you got into is minor bro, go to court, it won't hurt, it will only help. If the officer shows, plead guilty...those guys are hard to argue against. The judge usually takes their side over yours.

I know in CA, where you are at, the courts will give you two options. traffic school + half off on ticket fees and a chance to plead your case.

If i were you, and you didn't want to pay ANYTHING, just postpone your court date like maybe two times, and then go to court. the officer won't show. I got into a ticket, like your case, similar thing happened.

If you feel confident that you can plead your case to the judge, then by all means do it. I'm sure if you explain to the judge you could win. it seems very reasonable...judging from your story. And, don't bring anything up about the officer pulling your car over because it's modded...it's about the way you drive haha. I drove in a beater 92 accord got pulled over and an 08 accord and got pulled over...it's all about how you drive i went to court everytime though, got my ticket cut in half or won the case because the cop didnt show
probably yea, i just might have to postpone IF i end up deciding to go to court.
The date of appearance, i think its around my school's final. lol.

I dun really think i need to go to court right? if i decided not to..
they'll be sending a ticket with a fine on it for me to pay 1st?

Even if i decided to show up, why plead guilty tho?? Isn't the judge going to feel !%!#%$!.. because if i want to plead guilty, i might as well pay the fine and not waste his time?
Old 03-22-2009, 11:03 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Cops never give me a second glance in my RL.

In my Prelude they tailgate me..

Take that for what its worth

Same thing for the Evo vs the MDX
Old 03-22-2009, 11:07 AM
Ex-King of Pasadena

btw, i do respect the police by all means.
(hey! how's the place going to be like without the cops? lol)

i do know the mistakes i made...
- turning without signal lights (which is NOT on the ticket)
- turning without letting the 'right of way' car go first. (which is NOT on the ticket)
- speeding up too fast (which is NOT on the ticket)
- cutting people off, but WITH a reason. (which is why i got the ticket)

Posting here, because its my 1st time getting this kind of ticket, which to me, didn't seem fair.
I'll be admitting it and just paying it if today, i got a speeding ticket or really driving recklessly.
dun quite judge me by my age tho.. ==

anyway, how do police earn their money? by the amount of ticket they give out or something??
Old 03-22-2009, 11:38 AM
an asshole from florida

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
ya damn whippersnappers and your japanese cars
Old 03-22-2009, 11:40 AM
an asshole from florida

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
if you go to court and try to fight the ticket just remember that he can always issue other shit during court. that happened to me, got pulled over for speeding and i got a ticket for my seatbelt. went to court to fight it ($100 ticket) and ended up payin 185 bucks instead for the speeding ticket
Old 03-22-2009, 11:55 AM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
no, mod'ed cars are not more attractive to cops.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:23 PM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by msmching
i dunno if i consider this my only offense..
i had ticket's last year, for speeding.. 51 on 40. Took the traffic school already for it already.
but this year, none.
and yeaa, getting a lawyer might cost more than just paying the ticket lol.
How does the court look like tho??
Beside the judge and the police, is there gonna be like a lot of other people around too?? (like what shown on tv.?) If so, i dun think i can do really well on talking.. @@
Uh oh, I think you may be screwed then; traffic school can only be used once every 3 years or so to drop tickets. Plus your under 25 and judges/cops tend to treat younger drivers much worse than older ones. I would still try to fight the ticket though; couldn't hurt, but don't be surprised if the judge doesn't drop it. Hopefully the cop won't show up; in that case your ticket will be thrown out immediately.

There are usually a few people in the court, most have tickets and other violations as well. But honestly I don't think many of them are even paying attention to what is being said between the court and the defendant.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:10 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by invisiblewar
if you go to court and try to fight the ticket just remember that he can always issue other shit during court. that happened to me...
Not in CA-- it's limited to what is on the ticket.
Originally Posted by WdnUlik2no
Uh oh, I think you may be screwed then; traffic school can only be used once every 3 years or so to drop tickets...

There are usually a few people in the court, most have tickets and other violations as well. But honestly I don't think many of them are even paying attention to what is being said between the court and the defendant.
Violators can go to traffic school once every 18 months as a matter of right in Los Angeles County(in CA, each county determines how often violators can go to traffic school). However, the court can order traffic school and dismissal for a violator regardless of prior traffic school attendance IF the court determines it is appropriate.

Traffic court in some LA jurisdictions are crowded with drivers and officers; some traffic courts are combined with small claims cases hearings too.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:31 PM
Adventurist.

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts
Why not do trial by written declaration? If you lose, you can still do trial de novo. Be prepared though, if you lose, you have no instance of going to traffic school (if you've been >18 months since the last moving violation).
Old 03-22-2009, 04:23 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 990 Likes on 532 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Herro prease.
Did someone say engrish?

http://engrish.com

Click on there and have a good laugh. I have to put up with it every day.

And fight the ticket, it's
Old 03-22-2009, 04:40 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
I don't call a TSX with black wheels a modded car.

Where's your wing? Your portholes?

Poseur.

And the OP makes my brain hurt.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:46 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
I got tailed by a state trooper once. He eventually pulled me over.

He came to the passenger side where my wife was. He told me I was following to closely to the vehicle in front of me. I handed him my license and CHL and he gave me a warning to told me to have a good day. Just before he left he said "nice wheels" lol
Old 03-22-2009, 10:29 PM
B A N N E D

This seems like total Bullshit...

I would fight this cus the judge is gonna laugh at the cop for being such a dbag

Gluck
Old 03-22-2009, 10:38 PM
seizure force field!

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts
I dun think you will win in court.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:32 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by trancemission

He came to the passenger side where my wife was. He told me I was following to closely to the vehicle in front of me. I handed him my license and CHL and he gave me a warning to told me to have a good day. Just before he left he said "nice wheels" lol
whats a CHL?
Old 03-23-2009, 12:12 AM
Ex-King of Pasadena

Originally Posted by NiteQwill
Why not do trial by written declaration? If you lose, you can still do trial de novo. Be prepared though, if you lose, you have no instance of going to traffic school (if you've been >18 months since the last moving violation).
WRitten declaration?? i can??

If yeaa, i'll do that instead tho..@@ But is the chance of writing lower than going there myself?

Oh well, i dun think i can take traffic school already.

Originally Posted by trancemission

very nice.. @@

__________________________________________________ _________

AND LOL!!!! I knew the officer's name was familiar!!

He's the one who gave me the speeding ticket ONE YEAR AGO!!!
Old 03-23-2009, 03:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
turn without signal + rapid accelleration = you acting stupid and made yourself a nice easy target too. I'm willing to bet that you got a fart pipe on that thing making you MORE noticable.........
Old 03-23-2009, 04:43 AM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
Originally Posted by charliemike

Poseur.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:50 AM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 990 Likes on 532 Posts
Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
turn without signal + rapid accelleration = you acting stupid and made yourself a nice easy target too. I'm willing to bet that you got a fart pipe on that thing making you MORE noticable.........
It's fart can.... Fart can, man. They add 100 whp...

I think you can fight the ticket and win.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:16 AM
Ex-King of Pasadena

Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
fart pipe as in.. exhaust...?

wrong... dun even have one.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:25 AM
Team Owner

Received 599 Likes on 417 Posts
fart pipe as in.. exhaust...?

wrong... dun even have one.
Yes....fart can = louder exhaust system.

And WTF is "dun?" The words are "do not" or "don't." "Dun" makes you sound retarded.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:42 AM
Ex-King of Pasadena

Yes....fart can = louder exhaust system.

And WTF is "dun?" The words are "do not" or "don't." "Dun" makes you sound retarded.
because i just DUN like to use 'do not' or 'don't' here. dun like it? then i dun no what you can do.

Been on the forum for more than a year, and you're actually the first one to tell me not to use dun dun dun.

seriously have no idea why some of you sounds so.. "hateful" ..

did i even do something bad to some of you or did i almost killed someone?

geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzz
Old 03-23-2009, 09:45 AM
Ex-King of Pasadena

Originally Posted by charliemike

Poseur.

Originally Posted by 1killercls
then.. uhh, ""dun"" read it anymore?
Old 03-23-2009, 09:52 AM
Ex-King of Pasadena

not telling all of you to back me up on this.

here to get some ideas/opinions on this ticket.

I m trying to be nice, but some of you just want to be a 'DH'.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:03 AM
Team Owner

Received 599 Likes on 417 Posts
because i just DUN like to use 'do not' or 'don't' here. dun like it? then i dun no what you can do.

Been on the forum for more than a year, and you're actually the first one to tell me not to use dun dun dun.

Dude...calm down. I just said it makes you sound retarded. I guess I was wrong.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:28 AM
No room in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fight the ticket IMO, sounds like a nice steaming load of BS.

Re: "dun"

As a native English speaker and self-proclaimed lingual nazi, I agree that "dun" sounds stupid. You can use it if you wish, but that is the impression you will make.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:35 PM
Ex-King of Pasadena

Dude...calm down. I just said it makes you sound retarded. I guess I was wrong.
Originally Posted by Takran
Fight the ticket IMO, sounds like a nice steaming load of BS.

Re: "dun"

As a native English speaker and self-proclaimed lingual nazi, I agree that "dun" sounds stupid. You can use it if you wish, but that is the impression you will make.

i will change... I don't want to sound retarted. =(
oh well, thanks for correcting.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:06 PM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You're actually old enough to hang out in bars? You sure you're not 16? (and a chick?)
Old 03-23-2009, 04:25 PM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
@ the thread title.

But isn't that the point of having a modded car?
Old 03-23-2009, 09:24 PM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
is this your car?

Old 03-23-2009, 10:23 PM
Ex-King of Pasadena

hmmm, the three person up there, i don't really get what your are trying to say.
(especially brandon and swervin).

and WdnUlik2no..
car looked kinda cool... @@

you're saying that my car's not considered under the category of "mod'ed". ?
Old 03-23-2009, 10:30 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
I think stupidity is more "attractive to cops."
Old 03-23-2009, 10:40 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
I would love an explanation on the entrapment issue.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:20 AM
Avant Garde Wheels

Received 348 Likes on 291 Posts

turn right after all cars have turned left..

eh.... watever...

its the way you drive while being more noticable...

back in august, i was going crazy trying to get to the hospital before my dad went into his first chemo..

got pulled over at the exit and cop said i stood out like a sore thumb in the first place and me driving recklessly did not help either.. lucky i told him whats happening and let me off with tint fix it...

but drive more cautiously.. even tho your modded, and cops see that you're following rules/laws, he won't bother you. Might follow you for a distance to see if you do anything but let off after awhile.. its all based on how you drive.. dickhead or goody boy..

on the other hand.. SOME.. very few cops are just...

my
Old 03-24-2009, 04:22 AM
Advanced

Unhappy

Yeah, I know mod'ed car are more attractive to cops. A few weeks ago, a cop pulled me over stating my rear-collision light wasn't working when I brake. And it turned out there was completely nothing wrong with my rear-collision light. Earlier today, I got a ticket for modified exhaust. The thing that pisses me off most is that I've seen exhaust bigger and louder than the one I have. Cops are so stupid. He even told me all I have to do is put a stock exhaust back on and everything will be all good. I refuse to put a stock exhaust back on. I'm going to fight this ticket cuz I was never pulled over for the exhaust in the 7 months I've owned this car. I've been reading a lot of online forums on this violation and I've seen different answers. Some say put the stock back on & go to a referee station. I've seen other forums stating to take the car to a referee as is & see if it passes & get the certification & the ticket will be signed off. Any advice?
Old 03-24-2009, 12:13 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

Received 348 Likes on 291 Posts
^ if its louder than 93db??? than its not allowed i believe...
Old 03-24-2009, 12:19 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Originally Posted by ShadowBar
I had a cop follow me for 35 miles today coming back from maine southbound on 95. i was going the speed limit.. 68 in a 65, he was sitting on a hill and i figured i was fine, the car infront of me slowed down to around 50, so i downshifted to 4th to jump out and pass him. the cop must have not liked my exhaust note and came out after me.. followed me all the way to the NH state line..
Going 68 in a 65 is NOT going the speed limit.

last I checked, 68 > 65.

Quick Reply: Mod'ed cars are more attractive to cops?