Mid-class Sedan Comparisson

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 04:54 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mid-class Sedan Comparisson

Well, I will be looking to purchase a mid-class sedan sometime within now a 6 months. I have to main contenders right now. I realize that these two cars are two completely different styles, but I like both "big daddy baller" style and the sporty style. I did a little photoshop version of both to show you what I will most likely do to them.

The Acura TL is a beautiful car. When I saw it at the auto show last year, I absolutely loved it. It was in a really cool-looking green pearl paint with the A-Spec options (front & rear lips with side skirts that are somewhat flared). The interior was very nice and overall, pretty sporty and luxurious. I have yet to look at them at the dealer and test drive it.

The Chrysler 300C is also on my list. When it first came out, I didn't like it at all. It has grown greatly on me since. It just looks so elegant...bentleyesque I suppose. I did get a chance to look at one a few nights ago and I impressed in the quality/craftsmen ship. I went in their thinking that I would come out hating it b/c of crappy quality. It was actually pretty nice. Sure, it's not a Lexus (I currently also have a rx300), but it doesn't have the "rental car" feeling that many other american cars have. I didn't get a chance to test drive it b/c I went in there near closing time and it was raining so I didn't bother asking.

I would like to know your guys' opinions. I know this is an Acura forum, but have any of you gone through the same process? Thanks!

This is automata's picture that I modified...let me know if you don't want me using it.

Old 10-13-2004, 07:06 PM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First off, if you are even considering the 300C wait until next year when they introduce the 300C-SVT . It is the same engine but they have boosted the HP by over 100! I don't know what the 300C has but I know the SVT is supposed to be pushin' 450hp, maybe 430hp. It would surely be worth the wait to get an extra warrantied 100+ hp out of the same car..

And those cars both look great, but they are very different in styling, the TL is much more sporty then the 300C's, you put it perfectly, bentleyesque style.

Old 10-13-2004, 07:48 PM
i souport publik edekason

Originally Posted by ResidualFreedom
...they introduce the 300C-SVT . It is the same engine but they have boosted the HP by over 100! I don't know what the 300C has but I know the SVT is supposed to be pushin' 450hp, maybe 430hp.
I believe it's called the 300C SRT8...
If that is what you were mentioning it actually is not the same engine...
They now have a 6.1-liter engine with hemispherical heads instead of the 5.7 liter in the standard 300C...
I believe this SRT8 is rated at 425 HP... and comes with a plethora of suspension and plastic accoutrements...

If this is not what you were talking about then my apologies for jumping into your conversation...

Peace...
Salut
Ciao
Old 10-13-2004, 08:42 PM

nope my bad, you're right...honestly I was too lazy to check the specs my self.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:00 PM
Racer

First off, if you are even considering the 300C wait until next year when they introduce the 300C-SVT . It is the same engine but they have boosted the HP by over 100! I don't know what the 300C has but I know the SVT is supposed to be pushin' 450hp, maybe 430hp. It would surely be worth the wait to get an extra warrantied 100+ hp out of the same car..
Don't forget the extra $$ that model will require. It will be in a whole different price range...
Old 10-13-2004, 10:13 PM
i souport publik edekason

nope my bad, you're right...honestly I was too lazy to check the specs my self.
Cool bud... NP...
Old 10-13-2004, 10:18 PM
Banned

Does this mean that the real BENTLEY have to change its styling so not to look like a Dodge?

And those cars both look great, but they are very different in styling, the TL is much more sporty then the 300C's, you put it perfectly, bentleyesque style.

Old 10-14-2004, 01:58 AM
Racer

Dodge? I thought it's cherysler.

Originally Posted by MADCAT
Does this mean that the real BENTLEY have to change its styling so not to look like a Dodge?
Old 10-14-2004, 05:02 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by BeemerKiller
Dodge? I thought it's cherysler.
It is. Calling Chrysler a Dodge is like calling Acura a Honda. People do it to try to belittle a luxury brand. I guess the thought here is that a call girl is just a hooker that costs more and dresses nicer.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by missmyprelude
It is. Calling Chrysler a Dodge is like calling Acura a Honda. People do it to try to belittle a luxury brand. I guess the thought here is that a call girl is just a hooker that costs more and dresses nicer.
lol
Old 10-14-2004, 09:45 AM
Team Inspire Canada

300 c very nice car.....
Old 10-14-2004, 09:46 AM
Team Inspire Canada

i am considering the dodge magnum with the Hemi 38kcdn fully loaded....this car is making me think about it thats for sure.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
Originally Posted by missmyprelude
Actually, it's vice versa.

But, i'd get the 300C if I want some major BLING to go with its bigtime ZING!!
Old 10-14-2004, 10:33 AM
8th Gear

I have thought about waiting for the 300 SRT8, but it most likely won't have the same warranty. I am assuming this because the Crossfire SRT8 will not have the same warranty as the standard version - this is what the salesman told me and it makes sense. Maybe not though since the Crossfire is going to be supercharged and the 300 will just have a bigger engine. I also heard that it will be be an ets. $40k...I don't know if that sounds right, but I think I would go with the 300C.

Back to the point. I really don't need it to be any faster than it already is...I am told it's pretty fast in a straight line. I have my supercharged S2000 for my adrenaline rushes
Old 10-14-2004, 11:34 AM
Banned

What’s getting worse is that younger people are buying these things thinking they’ll look cool. Either they have no sense for style or just totally out of it. To me, that 300C and Magnum look like very long clown cars.

The Cadillac Escalade is in style. Dodges are never in style. A good barometer of what cars are in style is in the music videos. So far I have seen no 300C in those videos.
In 3-4 months, these cars will be a laughing stock of the automotive world.
Old 10-14-2004, 12:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
Dodges are never in style.
The Viper does pretty well in the style department.

But, I get your point. Off the top of my head, there have only been about 6 Chrysler products that I liked over the past 15 years: Stealth R/T TT, 89 Colt GT, Conquest TSi, Talon/Laser, SRT4 and Viper. Out of those, 4 are 100% Mitsubishi, 1 has a Mitsubishi derived powertrain (which overpowers the chassis) and 1 is basically an exotic.

Old 10-14-2004, 01:09 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

What’s getting worse is that younger people are buying these things thinking they’ll look cool. Either they have no sense for style or just totally out of it. To me, that 300C and Magnum look like very long clown cars.

The Cadillac Escalade is in style. Dodges are never in style. A good barometer of what cars are in style is in the music videos. So far I have seen no 300C in those videos.
I've seen a few on MTV, in G-Unit videos..
Old 10-14-2004, 02:28 PM
Drifting

Style is subjective, if everyone had the same sense of style the world would be a very boring place. A person driving a 300C may view the TL as boring or ordinary looking car while the TL driver may look at the 300C as a brick on wheels. IMO I like the 300C's classy good looks, it definitely stands out from a crowd. I’ve driven the 300C and it feels solid, when you close the door it has that German car door "thunk" and has a quality feel that you would think you are driving a Mercedes (which BTW shares a lot of parts with Mercedes). Also when I was driving around town in the 300C it received a lot of positive attention from teenagers in Civic’s to seniors in S500. People asking me questions about it while waiting for a red light, random thumbs up from people passing by in the other lane, people staring at it and pointing, and other things like that.

Also if you’ve read the press the 300C has generated you would know that “Snoop Dog” called the CEO of Chrysler directly and left a message on his voicemail wanting to buy one, which was rather humorous. Also rap artist such as “50 Cent”, “G-unit”, “Nelly”, “Mannie Fresh”, "Twister", and many other artist have bought it. It has been featured in many music videos, such as these: Mannie Fresh - Real Big and Beenie Man - Compton. Also was in a couple of episodes in "ER" and "ER Finale". And was featured in this FOX morning news before it came out. I could go on and on.

So I doubt the 300C will be the "laughing stock of the automotive world."

Old 10-14-2004, 02:36 PM
8th Gear

I could really care a less whatt is in style. I'm not exactly young (48yrs old isn't young in my book at least) and I don't have anyone to impress. I just think that it has alot of class.

EDIT: need to change my icon info, says im 19? lol I wish.
Old 10-15-2004, 12:10 AM

Snoop actually contacted the company to get a custom one made for him before they were even released...

But to back you up, I saw what the magnum could do today...A buddy had one next door, the damn thing wouldn't even chirp the tires! he had to do a break burn and still that huge car was as slow as crap!! it is a 2.7L V6!! There is really no reason for that stupid commercial, they don't even come with the hemi!!
Sports car owner "What do you have in that?"
Magnum Driver "A surfboard, eight 2x4's and an amp"
Originally Posted by mkell
I have thought about waiting for the 300 SRT8, but it most likely won't have the same warranty. I am assuming this because the Crossfire SRT8 will not have the same warranty as the standard version - this is what the salesman told me and it makes sense. Maybe not though since the Crossfire is going to be supercharged and the 300 will just have a bigger engine. I also heard that it will be be an ets. $40k...I don't know if that sounds right, but I think I would go with the 300C.
And guess what? That crossfire STILL ONLY COMES IN AUTO!!!! Geese these designers are remarkably stupid arn't they...
Old 10-15-2004, 12:22 AM
Drifting

But to back you up, I saw what the magnum could do today...A buddy had one next door, the damn thing wouldn't even chirp the tires! he had to do a break burn and still that huge car was as slow as crap!! it is a 2.7L V6!! There is really no reason for that stupid commercial, they don't even come with the hemi!!
Magnum RT comes with a 340HP Hemi engine. The one you're talking about is the Magnum SE which is the base model.
Old 10-15-2004, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by DownUnder
Magnum RT comes with a 340HP Hemi engine. The one you're talking about is the Magnum SE which is the base model.
Ya, I couldnt believe how small the engine was in this one... I thought the base magnum would be over a 2.7L ... I was trying to find the engine specs on the Canadian site but couldn't find it until you told me the " RT " title... The one I saw, left me seriously unimpressed. It was the base one, well it had leather everything so it might not have been the base model but it was soooo slow, like you could run faster!
Old 10-15-2004, 01:24 AM
Drifting

Yea, the base V6 model is really slow and a waste of money IMO. I think 0-60 is around 10s or so. My LX470 which is pretty slow could beat one of those 2.7L Magnum's.