Messed up car dealership

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 12:42 PM
Team Owner

Received 599 Likes on 417 Posts
Messed up car dealership

I was talking to a good friend of mine that is out in Ohio now. Him and his woman have a Saturn Vue and an Ion. Both were bought brand new from the same dealership and he takes it back to the dealership for work when it needs it.

Well, about 3 weeks ago they took the Ion in for some work. Someone got a hold of the keys for the car and stole it. The car was recovered about a week later. There was no real visible damage. However all their personal stuff and information was taken, including the regristration with their address. The car was a mess, and the guys that "borrowed" it smoked inside it. Both my friends hate smoking.

The dealership said that it wasn't their fault that it happened even though they left the keys laying around. They offered to have the car professionally cleaned, and 2 years free oil changes. They said that they will also be willing to buy the car back at less than market value since the car was technically stolen.

I told my friend that at the very least they should offer to change the locks, since the theives could have easily made copies of the keys and now know where they live. Personally, I would be offended if someone stole my car out of the dealership, had it for a week, messed it up, smoked in it and all the dealer offers is free oil changes.

What do you guys think?

My friends have also contacted Saturn Corperate office and they said they thought the offer was fair.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Lawyer. Have them get one ASAP before they do or agree to anything...
Old 07-11-2006, 12:47 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by juniorbean
Lawyer. Have them get one ASAP before they do or agree to anything...
Lawyer said that it was not worth pursuing.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:47 PM
Not Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
Since the car was reported to the authorities as stolen, it will probably now be titled as a theft recovery vehicle. No resale value at all, even though it's still in good condition, it could affect their car insurance coverage. I would demand a trade of at least equal year, mileage and value, if not a hell of a deal on a new car!
Old 07-11-2006, 12:50 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Bdog
Since the car was reported to the authorities as stolen, it will probably now be titled as a theft recovery vehicle. No resale value at all, even though it's still in good condition, it could affect their car insurance coverage. I would demand a trade of at least equal year, mileage and value, if not a hell of a deal on a new car!
Exactly what I told them. And they said the manager of the dealership walked out on their meeting with them while they were discussing all this.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
Lawyer said that it was not worth pursuing.
Wow really? I'd think there would be so many things you could go after the dealership for.

In that case, I like Bdog's reply
Old 07-11-2006, 12:59 PM
Not Registered

Of course the dealer doesn't want the car, because they have to try and sell it telling the prospective buyers it's a theft recovery vehicle, which is like trying to sell a car with a salvaged title. They probably have a clause stating they are not responsible for lost or stolen articles left in a vehilce, but that doesn't pertain to the whole car being stolen while in their posession. It's their fault the car was stolen, so they are responsible for damages, and one damage is loss of value. A salvage, theft recovery, flood damage titled car is at least $5k-10K less in exact condition to a regular used car. I would have a lawyer contact Saturns corporate office and explain the situation.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:00 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by juniorbean
Wow really? I'd think there would be so many things you could go after the dealership for.

In that case, I like Bdog's reply
Same here. I meant to tell him to talk to another dealer.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:01 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Exactly what I told them. And they said the manager of the dealership walked out on their meeting with them while they were discussing all this.
You're kidding...he walked out? Fuck that then. The gloves are off. Your friends should be at the dealership right now raising hell. They should be telling every potential customer that walks in the door that their car will get stolen if they leave it for service. They should be making life hell for the dealership until the dealership is ready to deal.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:14 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
seriously tho, its a saturn. u cant expect shit for resale anyway
Old 07-11-2006, 01:17 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
You're kidding...he walked out? Fuck that then. The gloves are off. Your friends should be at the dealership right now raising hell. They should be telling every potential customer that walks in the door that their car will get stolen if they leave it for service. They should be making life hell for the dealership until the dealership is ready to deal.
Agreed. I told them if the dealership doesn't stipulate anything with the oil changes and they end up taking the car back, then they should take it in every day for an oil change.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:24 PM
Burn some dust here

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Before the manager walked out, I would have:
- Demanded market value of the car since the resulting loss of value due to theft was their problem and buy a new model at invoice

After the manager walked out or denied the request:
- All gloves are off. I would have gone to the media about this. They love stories like this and the business owner would certainly not want this kind of story reaching the public.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:31 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like Cob's way of thinking. I would of definately written a letter to local paper or if you were in NY you can call Help Me Howard
Old 07-11-2006, 01:33 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by cob3683
I would have gone to the media about this. They love stories like this and the business owner would certainly not want this kind of story reaching the public.
They contacted the Media. And are waiting to hear back from them.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:43 PM
Burn some dust here

They contacted the Media. And are waiting to hear back from them.
Good for them. I would give the dealership one more time but I would want to talk to the owner this time. If the situation is still not resolved....let the shit storm begin.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:26 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Did your freind report the car stolen to his insurance company? Did your freind receive a check for the stolen car? If the answer is not a yes to both of these questions chances are very good his car is not tagged as a recovered stolen vehicle. Get the vin# and let's have someone on here with carfax access check it.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:35 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,307 Likes on 960 Posts
I thought anytime the dealer worked on a car they weren't responsible for damages up to/including theft. It's supposed to be posted in their garage. I think the best you could do is take their offer and claim the insurance for repairs.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:45 PM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Doom878
I thought anytime the dealer worked on a car they weren't responsible for damages up to/including theft. It's supposed to be posted in their garage. I think the best you could do is take their offer and claim the insurance for repairs.
yeah I've seen a lot of dealer service departments have disclaimers posted saying that they are not responsible for damages and/or theft. It really sucks because that pretty much opens the door for a shady dealer to damage you car without any consenquences. The fact that the manager walked out of the meeting showed me how professional this dealer really is. I hope their reputation is forever tarnished and their business greatly suffers after this is reported to the local media.

Free oil changes, professional cleaning, offering to buy the car back at below market, wow thanks.

It's the dealers fault the car was stolen, they should do more than trying to put a bandaid on the sitaution.

Last edited by WdnUlik2no; 07-11-2006 at 03:48 PM.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:48 PM
Burn some dust here

I thought that "theft" just applied to personal items, not the whole car?
Old 07-11-2006, 03:54 PM
fhwagads

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those disclaimers just gave me an idea. You should get some business cards printed out with your normal info on front, then on the back write a disclaimer that says: "By accepting this card You agree that I am not responsible for any bodily harm done to you or damage to your place of buisness. I am also not responsible for theft or burglary. You also foreit your right to legal action against me for any reason. Have a nice day!" Then proceed to put fire to the dealership. and beat the manager to a bloody pulp.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:58 PM
Not Registered

Screw Saturn, have your friend call GM up and file a complaint!

General Motors
300 Renaissance Center
Detroit, MI 48265-3000

313-556-5000
Old 07-11-2006, 04:25 PM
My M45 loves to eat rice

Why not just have the car burnt in a deserted area by professionals, put an insurance claim on the car to get top-dollar for it, then claim that the thieves stole the car again because they made copies of the keys and have them arrested? That's such a vile thing to do, and I probably don't have the balls to do it, but it sounds good to me!
Old 07-11-2006, 07:27 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Originally Posted by MattT516
Why not just have the car burnt in a deserted area by professionals, put an insurance claim on the car to get top-dollar for it, then claim that the thieves stole the car again because they made copies of the keys and have them arrested? That's such a vile thing to do, and I probably don't have the balls to do it, but it sounds good to me!

Spoken like a true New Yorka
Old 07-11-2006, 08:28 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by MattT516
Wow! What a brilliant idea! Maybe I will go and do that to my car tonight.

Old 07-11-2006, 08:49 PM
hail to the victors

bunch of cooccksuckers!! burn them all!
Old 07-12-2006, 12:13 AM
Banned

Screwed!!! by Saturn, OHIO, and a shitty lawyer
Old 07-12-2006, 12:19 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts

Ask a lawyer what those signs really do. Nothing. If your car is damaged or stolen from any shop working on your car, THEY ARE responsible. Same goes w/ car washes, if they scratch your car, break something, etc. They are responsible.

Same can go for little items stolen out of it, the thing is, you have to prove that item was in the car, which is hard to do so most never persue it.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:04 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CLpower
Ask a lawyer what those signs really do. Nothing. If your car is damaged or stolen from any shop working on your car, THEY ARE responsible. Same goes w/ car washes, if they scratch your car, break something, etc. They are responsible.

Same can go for little items stolen out of it, the thing is, you have to prove that item was in the car, which is hard to do so most never persue it.
I agree. I had my Acura dinged when I took it in to get the tranny replaced and when I mentioned it to the service manager, he made an appointment for me to take it to their body shop and they fixed it no questions. And there was a sign there too. I think it really depends on the dealership. These guys just sound like a bunch of dicks.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:37 PM
Team Owner

Then why won't a lawyer touch it if it's a slam dunk?
Old 07-12-2006, 02:14 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Then why won't a lawyer touch it if it's a slam dunk?

probably cause there isn't much for the lawyer to deal with and not much money for him to make as the dealer will use their insurance to cover the damages (Dealers have insurance for these exact things)

If you think you leave something with a company for them to do repairs and it comes back gone or damaged and they aren't responsible, you must get taken advantage of a lot.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:20 PM
Team Owner

Then wouldn't it be illegal to post those signs? Where's Chief F1?
Old 07-12-2006, 03:59 PM
teh Senior Instigator

No, because they hope people believe the signs. It'll be interesting to hear what chief says, because the info I got was when sitting at dinner w/ 2 lawyers.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:28 PM
Team Owner

I read that if you don't post a refund policy specifically stating no refunds than the company must refund any item being returned. Point being, signage posted by a business upholds their policies regardless of what the customer requests. Look at the cigarettes disclosures on packs now. Doesn't that protect them from future lawsuits? Maybe it varies state to state. I don't not believe you, CLpower. I'm just shocked that this typical business practice is allowed nationwide were it not true. Usually consumer groups hop on that type of stuff.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:12 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Doom, do you honestly believe if you leave your car w/ the dealership that if they damage it they aren't responsible? Sign or no sign?
Old 07-13-2006, 09:19 AM
go like hell

Doom, do you honestly believe if you leave your car w/ the dealership that if they damage it they aren't responsible? Sign or no sign?
I agree.while the dealer or person or persons have your auto in their car he/she shoiuld treat it atleast as good as a "normal person" would treat a car. basically don't take it out street racings,don't drift it , don't smoke in it, don't sell parts off it don't jump railroad tracks..basically use your head.
bottom line: treat the customer car how you'd want your car treated.

yes the owner or manager can't control every move his or her employees make. however in the end he or she is responible for their acts. so they should say "look what is it gonna take to make this right or correct without going to court."
Old 07-13-2006, 09:26 AM
teh Senior Instigator

great post water
Old 07-13-2006, 09:38 AM
Feeds pigs bacon

hahahaha WOW. i don't ever want water to leave.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:21 AM
Back in the slow lane.

Originally Posted by M TYPE X
Screwed!!! by Saturn, OHIO, and a shitty lawyer
How were they screwed by OHIO? Bet shit like this happens in every state.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,135 Likes on 3,628 Posts
when you leave property w/ someone a "bailment" is created. There are different types of bailments entailing different levels of care for each. Putting a sign up at the coat check saying not responsible for lost or stolen things = no legal effect-ever. Signs in a shop saying not responsible for lost or stolen things in a car dealership is pure stupidity but does not absolve the dealer of the consequences of property left in its care. Market value probably isn't much now that the vehicle's been tagged stolen so I would not agree to that value. It seems the true loss is the value of the personal items taken so I would ask the dealer for the $$$$$ to reimburse, change the locks and something for their trouble (oil changes, alignments, whatever). I'd only get involved in this as a lawyer were it my friend otherwise I foresee a lot of time/effort/$$$ for little benefit to the people (it is not worth charging people a lot of money for so little potential value of loss). If I think of more, I'll post.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:07 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan
when you leave property w/ someone a "bailment" is created. There are different types of bailments entailing different levels of care for each. Putting a sign up at the coat check saying not responsible for lost or stolen things = no legal effect-ever. Signs in a shop saying not responsible for lost or stolen things in a car dealership is pure stupidity but does not absolve the dealer of the consequences of property left in its care. Market value probably isn't much now that the vehicle's been tagged stolen so I would not agree to that value. It seems the true loss is the value of the personal items taken so I would ask the dealer for the $$$$$ to reimburse, change the locks and something for their trouble (oil changes, alignments, whatever). I'd only get involved in this as a lawyer were it my friend otherwise I foresee a lot of time/effort/$$$ for little benefit to the people (it is not worth charging people a lot of money for so little potential value of loss). If I think of more, I'll post.
Thanks Chief. Great information. I'll pass it along to my friends.

Quick Reply: Messed up car dealership