Mazda RX8

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 10:06 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just got back in good job everyone another lars bites the dust, its a fact.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:53 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by West6MT
You get an F. You obviously dont know what you are talking about.

A synapse is not a branch that reaches out to other neurons. A synapse is a small gap between neurons (also called the synaptic cleft). Neurons communicate by neurotransmitters that are released from one neuron (presynaptic) and travel across the gap to a receiving neuron (postsynaptic). The only "branches" in the structure of a neuron are the dendrites and terminal buttons. Furthermore, neurons and neurotransmitters have both chemical and electrical aspects to them,.........its not just simply an electircal impulse.

Im a bit rusty because I have been out of school for a while now, but I can talk all day about this and go into much more detail. I specialized in Behavioural Neuroscience while completing my Psychology degree, and your description of a synaps is quite frankly pathetic.
Actually my description is quite correct and conceptual. There are a few ways to look at synapses: as space, as connection points, and as branches. So in the early development of the brain at the neuronal level, when there is great plasticity because axon terminals have not yet found their final destinations, we can talk about there being a relatively great number of synapses. At a slightly higher level of the viewing lens, we can more simply just refer to there being more connection points or branches. Thank you.

You get a C- for failing to separate yourself from the veridical language rote-memorized in college and instead use a higher level of conceptual understanding that good Ph.D.'s show.

For example, you failed to conceptualize the broader picture of things. And that is that the ultimate function of the neuron is to pass the electrical impulse or to not pass it. Come on, dude.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by The Sarlacc
OWNED!!!!
Check again.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:05 AM
Banned

Just in case you neuroscience "experts" want to counter me again, let me give you an example regarding post #242. Neuroscientists at whatever level of investigation (neural, systems, cognitive), talk about a single neuron's ability to "grow/build 10,000 to 15,000 synapses." See it's a result of language and the fact we assigned a term (synapse) to designate a space, or something that doesn't really exist unless additional connections (axon terminals) are first created. So we've come to refer to the whole thing as "building synapses."
Old 04-20-2006, 12:10 AM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by Cog Neuro Sci
Just in case you neuroscience "experts" want to counter me again, let me give you an example regarding post #242. Neuroscientists at whatever level of investigation (neural, systems, cognitive), talk about a single neuron's ability to "grow/build 10,000 to 15,000 synapses." See it's a result of language and the fact we assigned a term (synapse) to designate a space, or something that doesn't really exist unless additional connections (axon terminals) are first created. So we've come to refer to the whole thing as "building synapses."
:whocares:
Old 04-20-2006, 12:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by nicholbr
you think because you use the word ablate we're going to think you're intelligent?

the key word here is *CAN* include these functions. primary control of these functions is located in the limbic system which is nowhere near the area where frontal lobotomy surgery occurs. If you want me to pull out my neural science book and reference it I will. Just give me the word. Idiot.
You just had to be wrong again, didn't you? The phrase "limbic system" is outdated. It was coined a long time ago by an English guy named McLean or something like that (he's an old fuck now) when not much was known about the neural bases of emotion. At that time it was observed that ablations in a certain region that included frontal regions and subcortical regions seemed to affect emotion, and he called the entire region the limbic system. We now know more precisely the structures and regions that interact to produce emotion, including the amygdala, basal ganglia, and ventral medial prefrontal cortex. Unsurprisingly, these regions are heavily connected.

You get a grade of Z, which includes an (1) F- on your report card and (2) castration for being a fuck.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:25 AM
The Third Ball

Received 5,079 Likes on 2,696 Posts

He just spent the last 4 hours researching all this shit for apost, and I bet its all still a load of dung.

Meanwhile I was getting to hob nob with industry big wigs and see some awesome new technology and nice catered dinner at the Universal Hilton...Cog = LOSER.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
Actually my description is quite correct and conceptual. There are a few ways to look at synapses: as space, as connection points, and as branches. So in the early development of the brain at the neuronal level, when there is great plasticity because axon terminals have not yet found their final destinations, we can talk about there being a relatively great number of synapses. At a slightly higher level of the viewing lens, we can more simply just refer to there being more connection points or branches. Thank you.

You get a C- for failing to separate yourself from the veridical language rote-memorized in college and instead use a higher level of conceptual understanding that good Ph.D.'s show.

For example, you failed to conceptualize the broader picture of things. And that is that the ultimate function of the neuron is to pass the electrical impulse or to not pass it. Come on, dude.
Are you for real???? Did you spend all night in the library looking that stuff up? Why are you rambling on about early brain development? Your description of what a synaps is, was the poorest excuse (not to mention wrong) of an explanation I have ever seen. Now you are trying to say you were describing them at a conceptual level? Sure pal, give me a break. You say something thats incorrect, then say you were talking about it on a conceptual level. You are pathetic. Now its,......oh, I was looking at the bigger pictures blah blah blah because a single neuron can have thousands of synapses with other neurons blah blah blah NO SHIT. Why do I have to look at the bigger picture,....you didnt in your description of a synapse,......therefor I didnt. Do I need to write a 50 page paper to cover all my bases????? Was your response to my post in Chapter 2??? You better start reading Chapter 3 before I mention something you have not gotten too yet. Are you going to start talking about how the level of excitation is reached in a neuron and how neurons actually fire next. How about how the brain has a certain degree of plasticity even after being fully developed, which can be shown through brain damage in some individuals. How about how the role of the limbic system, or maybe the basal ganglia.

If you wanna yammer on about using proper language,......MAYBE you should have used the proper language and expressed yourself correctly (say what you actually mean) in the first place.

You are sad, and so arrogant it makes my head spin. If you respond to this post specifically Im going to ignore you. If you wanna argue your BS pertaining to brain structure and fuction,.......PM me (Im willing to tolerate you for a LITTLE bit of time on this subject), but stop wasting other forum members time with your BS that is totally off topic.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:35 AM
Senior Moderator

You just had to be wrong again, didn't you? The phrase "limbic system" is outdated. It was coined a long time ago by an English guy named McLean or something like that (he's an old fuck now) when not much was known about the neural bases of emotion. At that time it was observed that ablations in a certain region that included frontal regions and subcortical regions seemed to affect emotion, and he called the entire region the limbic system. We now know more precisely the structures and regions that interact to produce emotion, including the amygdala, basal ganglia, and ventral medial prefrontal cortex. Unsurprisingly, these regions are heavily connected.

You get a grade of Z, which includes an (1) F- on your report card and (2) castration for being a fuck.

Does he think nicholbr and I are the same person? In any event, he must have come across the story of good ole Pheneas Guage,............That must be Chapter 1. Sorry, I couldnt resist. If you actually know what you are talking about,.........you get the reference.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:38 AM
Banned

Are you for real???? Did you spend all night in the library looking that stuff up? Why are you rambling on about early brain development? Your description of what a synaps is, was the poorest excuse (not to mention wrong) of an explanation I have ever seen. Now you are trying to say you were describing them at a conceptual level? Sure pal, give me a break. You say something thats incorrect, then say you were talking about it on a conceptual level. You are pathetic. Now its,......oh, I was looking at the bigger pictures blah blah blah because a single neuron can have thousands of synapses with other neurons blah blah blah NO SHIT. Why do I have to look at the bigger picture,....you didnt in your description of a synapse,......therefor I didnt. Do I need to write a 50 page paper to cover all my bases????? Was your response to my post in Chapter 2??? You better start reading Chapter 3 before I mention something you have not gotten too yet. Are you going to start talking about how the level of excitation is reached in a neuron and how neurons actually fire next. How about how the brain has a certain degree of plasticity even after being fully developed, which can be shown through brain damage in some individuals. How about how the role of the limbic system, or maybe the basal ganglia.

If you wanna yammer on about using proper language,......MAYBE you should have used the proper language and expressed yourself correctly (say what you actually mean) in the first place.

You are sad, and so arrogant it makes my head spin. If you respond to this post specifically Im going to ignore you. If you wanna argue your BS pertaining to brain structure and fuction,.......PM me (Im willing to tolerate you for a LITTLE bit of time on this subject), but stop wasting other forum members time with your BS that is totally off topic.
What I am explaining to you is that I did use proper language. You don't understand how the term "synapse" can be used and so therefore your understanding of the term, although correct, is limited. And that caused you to accuse me of being wrong, when I was right. Do you understand your error now?

Last edited by Cog Neuro Sci; 04-20-2006 at 12:41 AM.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:40 AM
The Third Ball

Dont ignore him west...thats no fun...watching him get torn to shreds is a riot.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:40 AM
Banned

Does he think nicholbr and I are the same person? In any event, he must have come across the story of good ole Pheneas Guage,............That must be Chapter 1. Sorry, I couldnt resist. If you actually know what you are talking about,.........you get the reference.
I do not think you two are the same person. I think you two are different people who happen to both be dumb, each perfectly capable of living his life as a separate bonafide bonehead.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:41 AM
The Third Ball

I do not think you two are the same person. I think you two are different people who happen to both be dumb, each perfectly capable of living his life as a separate bonafide bonehead.
The only "person" who has shown any sign of being dumb is you.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:43 AM
Banned

The only "person" who has shown any sign of being dumb is you.
You were there too? Are you that fucking Armenian fuck from Glendale? Is that YOU?
Old 04-20-2006, 12:43 AM
Senior Moderator

What I am explaining to you is that I did use proper language. You don't understand how the term "synapse" and so therefore your understanding of the term, although correct, is limited. And that caused you to accuse me of being wrong, when I was right. Do you understand your error now?
Wow, for someone who is so smart and knows everything,.......you should know you are not supposed to start a sentence with "And" in proper english. For the record, you obviously dont understand my last post (which I am sure others can see as well) because your response is hilarious. Keep talking up your BS storm dude,.....no one is listening. Im getting a kick out of this.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:44 AM

WTF ARE U GUYS ARGUING ABOUT?

JESUS.

Where is the verbal rapist when you need him?
Old 04-20-2006, 12:45 AM
Banned

Aside from what your high school teachers taught you, you can start a sentence almost anyway you want, including using an And.

Grade: F
Old 04-20-2006, 12:48 AM

I have got to prove I am smarter than you. I have a small cawk. Sorry .

Give me a break. What a waste of a thread man. Seriously.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Aside from what your high school teachers taught you, you can start a sentence almost anyway you want, including using an And.

Grade: F
See link:
http://www.gpuss.co.uk/english_usage...onjunction.htm

Oh, but I was not talking on the conceptual level,..........
Old 04-20-2006, 12:49 AM
The Third Ball

You were there too? Are you that fucking Armenian fuck from Glendale? Is that YOU?
I do live in Glendale, you got that from another post.

But no, I am not Armenian.

But thanks for trying to play a racist.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
ahh, using big words in a jackass way must make you smart.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:50 AM
Suzuka Master

ahh, he left
Old 04-20-2006, 12:53 AM

Ok now I understand why you guys are bashing this guy. What a fucking tool.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:54 AM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by saiko_cl_duck
ahh, he left
Thats what he does.

He reseraches online...gets dictionary and thesaurus.....makes his post and leaves....waits to see replies, and then repeats the cycle of research and language studies.

The guy is a clown, and a giant pussy.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:54 AM
Banned

I do live in Glendale, you got that from another post.

But no, I am not Armenian.

But thanks for trying to play a racist.
Nope. Not racist. You can be Armenian or white or black or chinese. Regardless, you're a fuck, right?
Old 04-20-2006, 12:55 AM
Suzuka Master

he's back, ahh, i dont think he's had enough Sarlacc.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:55 AM
Senior Moderator

I guess I conform to the "old" rule.

see link
http://dictionary.reference.com/help...age/a/and.html

,....this is too much fun.

Maybe if I start declaring things,.....going back on what I say,.......looking up everyting on the internet so I look smart,...................some of you guys will think I am as smart as cog.

Old 04-20-2006, 12:56 AM
Who am I?

Originally Posted by saiko_cl_duck
ahh, he left
you're wrong....