LOTUS EXIGE? Race version of the ELISE

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOTUS EXIGE? Race version of the ELISE

Launched at the first round of the Lotus Motorsport Elise race series, the Exige was shown to groups of fans in a mini stage show featuring glamour girls as is becoming standard for Lotus. Prior to unveiling the car Lotus described the car as "loud, rude and exciting!"

Based on 340R running gear the new Exige will reach 60mph in a pleasant 4.7 seconds. Very much a racing car for the road, the Exige draws on influences from the race cars with a variety of cooling intakes added including one on the roof. A lightweight glass fibre reinforced composite body is used featuring a deeper front splitter and a high level rear wing, giving well balanced downforce characteristics yet retaining the same drag coefficient as the Elise.

A new opening polycarbonate tailgate allows the engine to be seen much in the style of the Ferrari 360.

It should retail for around £33,000. Orders are now being taken with first deliveries expected in July.

http://www.pistonheads.com/lotus/exige/

The look is kind of growing on me. I see elises everyday in pasadena ( dealership out there ) and I cant imagine someone swapping a HONDA motor ie: B18C5 or Kseries.

200-300 exiges will be sold in the US.

Anyone remember the video of the turbocharged elise pushin 400+ hp and barely got traction. Thats one mean 4 banger!
Old 10-28-2005, 01:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Send me a rolling chassis. I'll provide the K20 with driveline and a KPRO setup.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:12 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by Edr0e
Launched at the first round of the Lotus Motorsport Elise race series, the Exige was shown to groups of fans in a mini stage show featuring glamour girls as is becoming standard for Lotus. Prior to unveiling the car Lotus described the car as "loud, rude and exciting!"

Based on 340R running gear the new Exige will reach 60mph in a pleasant 4.7 seconds. Very much a racing car for the road, the Exige draws on influences from the race cars with a variety of cooling intakes added including one on the roof. A lightweight glass fibre reinforced composite body is used featuring a deeper front splitter and a high level rear wing, giving well balanced downforce characteristics yet retaining the same drag coefficient as the Elise.

A new opening polycarbonate tailgate allows the engine to be seen much in the style of the Ferrari 360.

It should retail for around £33,000. Orders are now being taken with first deliveries expected in July.

http://www.pistonheads.com/lotus/exige/

The look is kind of growing on me. I see elises everyday in pasadena ( dealership out there ) and I cant imagine someone swapping a HONDA motor ie: B18C5 or Kseries.

200-300 exiges will be sold in the US.

Anyone remember the video of the turbocharged elise pushin 400+ hp and barely got traction. Thats one mean 4 banger!
WRONG, the exige is just the older elise. elise now, has 190 hp just like the older "race" exige with 190 bhp
Old 10-28-2005, 05:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,262 Likes on 5,221 Posts
latest Car & Driver has a few modded Elises (including turbo) in a huge 4-banger tuner comparison.. the Forcefed Elise ran 11.8 @ 120...

article
http://www.caranddriver.com/article....ticle_id=10165

results
http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=1

btw. you know that's an old Elise you posted above, right.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:12 PM

2006 Exige I read this in automobile magazine ( forgot which one ) today while i was at the dentist

heres a link http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...6_lotus_exige/

Hethel, England- The essence of the new Lotus Exige is that of a racing car. Even compared with the Elise, this bewinged coupe is a hard-core driving experience-and we mean that in a good way. What's curious is that from the same set of basic components-190-hp, 1.8-liter, four-cylinder Toyota engine; click-clack-shifting six-speed manual gearbox; extruded aluminum chassis; plastic body-Lotus has created a pair of cars sufficiently different in character that the coupe version can be regarded as a genuinely separate model. A quicker, more extreme, yet separate model.

In many ways, Lotus's recently announced decision to bring the Exige to the States is a brave one. As a convertible, the Elise can count on the residual glow of the golden years of British roadsters, with the added edge of being fantastic to drive. The Exige has only the latter. So, while Lotus moves 2000-plus Elises per year in America, it expects to sell only 200 to 300 Exiges.
Those 200 to 300 enthusiasts will be getting an out-and-out driver's car. Where the Elise evokes delicacy, intimacy, and fluid motion, the Exige is a much more physical machine. It's not brutish or raw or clumsy but more alert and instantly responsive, more aggressive in its steering and ride.

The way the Exige turns into corners seems shockingly brisk for the first few miles, but then you learn to appreciate how its precision can almost laser-guide you to an apex, how its immediacy can teach you to be a more conscientious helmsman. On crumbly-edged roads, you start off thinking that the little Lotus coupe is being guided by road irregularities, and then you realize that you're not actually fighting with the plump-rimmed wheel; its wriggling and writhing is merely letting you know what's going on.

You can test your nerves on a few challenging corners. The Exige's custom bodywork-lengthened nose, front splitter, covered roof, new rear wing (only the door panels are shared with the Elise)-was engineered to increase downforce for better cornering. Additionally, the Exige runs on Yokohama A048 rubber-pretty much racing slicks with a few grooves-and their grip even on public roads is immense. On dry roads, at least. The Exige's chassis tuning mirrors that of the Elise with the Sport package. Despite the suspension's firmness, it refuses to let the Lotus get knocked off-line by mid-bend bumps. Once adhesion limits are eventually reached, mild understeer takes over-unless you're on the track, where lifting off and booting the throttle will encourage the tail out, although you'll need a bit of practice to keep it sliding without a spin.

Because the coupe's back end traps the sound inside the car more than in the Elise, the Exige makes you further aware of the Toyota engine. There remains a degree of frustration that you have to wait until 6200 rpm before it unleashes its full complement of horses, but, as with old-school turbos, there's also a sense of involvement in having to keep the revs in the zone; either you can cope with that, or you can't. And once the engine is spinning to its giddy upper reaches, you'll have no complaints about the performance.

The brakes are somewhat abrupt at low speeds thanks to their servo assistance, but once you're on a charge, they're easier to modulate, and the ABS cuts in satisfyingly late for aggressive drivers.

On a track or an extended stretch of winding road, even a Porsche 911 would have to work hard to keep pace with the Exige; there are few more enthralling or dynamically capable cars for any price. But before you buy, make sure you can live with such a small, specialized car with only four cylinders. If you can, you'll have a wild time.

SPECS

Price: $54,000 (est.)
Engine: 1.8L DOHC I-4, 190 hp, 138 lb-ft
Drive: Rear-wheel
Old 10-28-2005, 09:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,262 Likes on 5,221 Posts
^^^^^^^^ nice
Old 10-28-2005, 10:03 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,755 Likes on 2,536 Posts
I will take two please
Old 10-29-2005, 12:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
I will take one in Black.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
that looks bad ass
Old 10-30-2005, 03:32 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by Edr0e
2006 Exige I read this in automobile magazine ( forgot which one ) today while i was at the dentist

heres a link http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...6_lotus_exige/

Hethel, England- The essence of the new Lotus Exige is that of a racing car. Even compared with the Elise, this bewinged coupe is a hard-core driving experience-and we mean that in a good way. What's curious is that from the same set of basic components-190-hp, 1.8-liter, four-cylinder Toyota engine; click-clack-shifting six-speed manual gearbox; extruded aluminum chassis; plastic body-Lotus has created a pair of cars sufficiently different in character that the coupe version can be regarded as a genuinely separate model. A quicker, more extreme, yet separate model.

In many ways, Lotus's recently announced decision to bring the Exige to the States is a brave one. As a convertible, the Elise can count on the residual glow of the golden years of British roadsters, with the added edge of being fantastic to drive. The Exige has only the latter. So, while Lotus moves 2000-plus Elises per year in America, it expects to sell only 200 to 300 Exiges.
Those 200 to 300 enthusiasts will be getting an out-and-out driver's car. Where the Elise evokes delicacy, intimacy, and fluid motion, the Exige is a much more physical machine. It's not brutish or raw or clumsy but more alert and instantly responsive, more aggressive in its steering and ride.

The way the Exige turns into corners seems shockingly brisk for the first few miles, but then you learn to appreciate how its precision can almost laser-guide you to an apex, how its immediacy can teach you to be a more conscientious helmsman. On crumbly-edged roads, you start off thinking that the little Lotus coupe is being guided by road irregularities, and then you realize that you're not actually fighting with the plump-rimmed wheel; its wriggling and writhing is merely letting you know what's going on.

You can test your nerves on a few challenging corners. The Exige's custom bodywork-lengthened nose, front splitter, covered roof, new rear wing (only the door panels are shared with the Elise)-was engineered to increase downforce for better cornering. Additionally, the Exige runs on Yokohama A048 rubber-pretty much racing slicks with a few grooves-and their grip even on public roads is immense. On dry roads, at least. The Exige's chassis tuning mirrors that of the Elise with the Sport package. Despite the suspension's firmness, it refuses to let the Lotus get knocked off-line by mid-bend bumps. Once adhesion limits are eventually reached, mild understeer takes over-unless you're on the track, where lifting off and booting the throttle will encourage the tail out, although you'll need a bit of practice to keep it sliding without a spin.

Because the coupe's back end traps the sound inside the car more than in the Elise, the Exige makes you further aware of the Toyota engine. There remains a degree of frustration that you have to wait until 6200 rpm before it unleashes its full complement of horses, but, as with old-school turbos, there's also a sense of involvement in having to keep the revs in the zone; either you can cope with that, or you can't. And once the engine is spinning to its giddy upper reaches, you'll have no complaints about the performance.

The brakes are somewhat abrupt at low speeds thanks to their servo assistance, but once you're on a charge, they're easier to modulate, and the ABS cuts in satisfyingly late for aggressive drivers.

On a track or an extended stretch of winding road, even a Porsche 911 would have to work hard to keep pace with the Exige; there are few more enthralling or dynamically capable cars for any price. But before you buy, make sure you can live with such a small, specialized car with only four cylinders. If you can, you'll have a wild time.

SPECS

Price: $54,000 (est.)
Engine: 1.8L DOHC I-4, 190 hp, 138 lb-ft
Drive: Rear-wheel

ahh i knew it. same specs as the elise, just different body fisique