Looking for feedback on common maintenance items

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 06:12 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Looking for feedback on common maintenance items

I just wanted to get a feel for anyone's experience with certain brands/parts from any manufacturers. I need to make the right decisions as part of my job and hopefully we can all learn from each other as well. I'm more interested in bad experiences with well-known brands/sellers and common maintenance items but anything will help.

Just throwing these out there.... anyone have experience with A1 Cardone? They make a lot of remanufactured parts. I'm curious about Autozone Duralast pads and their rotors, as well as Wagner's Thermoquiet line too

Vortex "graphite metallic" brake pads
- good initial bite, dusting is eh, not too bad. No fade with spirited canyon driving, no track experience with them though

Raybestos advanced technology blank rotors
- no warpage, hats are still rust-free

Koni Yellow shocks, single adjustable
- worth every penny

Beck Arnley ignition
- supposed to be OE on certain cars, no problems

BBB remanufactured alternator
- no charging system issues

Interstate Battery
- all I know is that it has a green top, and started my car without hesitation even after not being driven for a month. No tender used either

Moog bushings
- great, though anything is probably an improvement over bushings with 150k+ on them

Goodyear and Gates belts/hoses
-

Sylvania Silverstar bulbs
- dunno why, but these seem to go out prematurely. I wear clean gloves during install and even then I avoid touching glass
Old 07-21-2011, 07:15 AM
It's the Halladay season!

Received 110 Likes on 87 Posts
Moog sway bar end links
-A lot beefier than OEM, and much easier to remove/install

Raybestos re-manufactured rear brake calipers
-They're holding up fine through a NE winter (about 8-9 months total if I remember right)
-The paint/coating is horrible. They have a lot more rust than my original fronts with 125k on them. I would recommend anyone buying them to paint them with a quality caliper paint before installing.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:23 AM
Race Director

Received 596 Likes on 430 Posts
i was running Silverstar bulbs in the fogs of my 2G. yes the output is great, but the life sucks.

for the price of the bulbs, i finally bit the bullet and bought a HID kit
Old 07-21-2011, 07:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
Originally Posted by Costco
Just throwing these out there.... anyone have experience with A1 Cardone? They make a lot of remanufactured parts. I'm curious about Autozone Duralast pads and their rotors, as well as Wagner's Thermoquiet line too

Raybestos advanced technology blank rotors
- no warpage, hats are still rust-free

Beck Arnley ignition
- supposed to be OE on certain cars, no problems

Interstate Battery
- all I know is that it has a green top, and started my car without hesitation even after not being driven for a month. No tender used either

Goodyear and Gates belts/hoses
-
I have A1 Cardone remanufactured calipers with Duralast gold pads on my 1G TL for 4 yrs now without a hitch... when i was researching to upgrde my brakes, i did read that Raybestos was commonly used by other members of the board, but i just couldn't source them and had to settle with the Cardones... i'm happy and they do the job very well.. so no complaints on them...

as for rotors, it seems like anything is better than the Honda/Acura oem rotors that warp if you just look at them wrong... but most of the 'made in china' rotors nowadays are cheap and will just be replaced at every brake pad change since it isn't worth the tme on the lathe to resurface them...

Beck is oem on some cars...

since discovering Costco batteries, i have never turned back to any other brand sold by autozone or advanced...

and +1 on the Gatorback belts... it must be a Toyota thing, because on the GS and Corolla, which had brand new OEM belts, developed a chatter within a few hundred miles after replacement... was annoying... fixed after switching to the gator belts...
Old 07-21-2011, 11:21 AM
In the Mid-South meow

Received 2,162 Likes on 1,099 Posts
I put Duralast brake drums and shoes (rear) and rotors and pads (front) on my wife's Corolla about two years ago and they've been excellent. No issues what-so-ever and they have a warranty, so thumbsup from me on those.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:40 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,294 Likes on 2,649 Posts
I had the same experience with Silverstar bulbs. Oddly enough Walmart used to carry these Silverstar knockoff's in the most tacky retail packaging one could imagine, but they were ~1/3 the cost and lasted a couple years where none of my Silverstars made it past a year in my wife's Pilot.

A1 Cardone - I've used their re-manufactured calipers and they were fine, never had a problem and were priced OK.

Used Duralast pads before and they are OK in performance and costs.

Originally Posted by Costco
I just wanted to get a feel for anyone's experience with certain brands/parts from any manufacturers. I need to make the right decisions as part of my job and hopefully we can all learn from each other as well. I'm more interested in bad experiences with well-known brands/sellers and common maintenance items but anything will help.

Vortex "graphite metallic" brake pads
- good initial bite, dusting is eh, not too bad. No fade with spirited canyon driving, no track experience with them though

Sylvania Silverstar bulbs
- dunno why, but these seem to go out prematurely. I wear clean gloves during install and even then I avoid touching glass
Old 07-21-2011, 01:18 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
RE: Duralast pads.

A few people I know who've had to deal with premature rear brake pad wear use them on their 8th gen Accords and pretty much swear by them. They last a long time and don't dust too much either. Their life time warranty is a bonus too.

RE: Silverstar bulbs

They burn out quicker because they also burn hotter. By burning hotter, they're able to produce more visible light. It's just the way they are.

Originally Posted by KaMLuNg
since discovering Costco batteries, i have never turned back to any other brand sold by autozone or advanced...
Costco batteries are made by Johnson Controls which happens to also make Optima, DieHard, and Duralast batteries. That's why they're so good.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:10 PM
Team Owner

Received 602 Likes on 419 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperTrooper169
I put Duralast brake drums and shoes (rear) and rotors and pads (front) on my wife's Corolla about two years ago and they've been excellent. No issues what-so-ever and they have a warranty, so thumbsup from me on those.
Used them on my Infiniti as well and they were great. Good value and worked well. Plus I used my Autozone coupons to get them so they were priced just right.

The rear calipers on the Infiniti were replaced and the mechanic went with A1 Cardone. Only had them for about 20K miles but no issues.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:00 PM
Ultra Negro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
I just go by the prices on Rockauto.com I stay away from autozone/advanced auto unless I need some detailing materials.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:48 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by hANDYcaptd
Moog sway bar end links
-A lot beefier than OEM, and much easier to remove/install

Raybestos re-manufactured rear brake calipers
-They're holding up fine through a NE winter (about 8-9 months total if I remember right)
-The paint/coating is horrible. They have a lot more rust than my original fronts with 125k on them. I would recommend anyone buying them to paint them with a quality caliper paint before installing.
Always a smart choice! :wink: