Go Back  AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community > Automotive Discussion > Car Talk
Reload this Page >

Let's go for a little ride from Fuji Speedway to...

Notices

Let's go for a little ride from Fuji Speedway to...

Old 02-22-2019, 08:15 PM

Received 638 Likes on 470 Posts

I was sucked in hard but I'm not complaining..
Old 05-11-2019, 12:28 AM

Received 515 Likes on 418 Posts
Bump! So I haven't been up to much since the last update! I saw my car's doppelganger recently on the freeway, which made me laugh!

I also noticed a minute amount of play in the tie rod end/ball joint, so I got to replacing the outer/inner tie rod and lower ball joint. Luckily Lexus had the right idea and sent the lower ball joint separate from the lower control arm, unlike the RL.... Funny story about that! I ordered OEM from a ClubLexus vendor (myLparts), and I received the correct driver side lower ball joint. However, the passenger side was incorrectly labeled, and I inevitably got two driver sides!! You could tell there was an old faded label on one of the packages and they had simply applied a new label on it. I didn't notice it until I installed the parts and the passenger wheel was solidly turned...

Luckily I shot an email explaining the situation to the guys at myLparts and he sent me the new parts right away. A+ vendor experience, I can tell you I'll keep using them in the future The picture below shows how far the passenger side wheel was turned with the incorrect part on there. Mind you, the steering wheel was perfectly centered for this picture...

After further inspection, I noticed that the markings didn't match at all and the angles didn't match AT ALL...

I also took the car in for a coating maintenance. Still looking good as always

On a related suspension note, I've made up my mind that I'll be going down the coilover route with this car, but keeping it at stock height. I'm merely going in this for ride comfort... I was hoping for some advise from some of the more experienced crew here. I've decided I'll replace the upper and lower control arms at the same time as well. Now, with that being said, I have a lot of decisions to make. With the lower control arm, I don't have much choice but OEM.

However, for the upper control arms, I can choose between OEM or I can go with FIGS track spec UCAs. Is it worth spending the extra ~200$ on these if all the car does is commute/weekend warrior and the occasional drag strip trip?

https://www.shopfigs.com/v3/ISF-FUCA-TRAC-V1

I've also come to a fork in the road with the coilovers. I've narrowed it down to two choices, CL has some really good advice but I'm hoping for a different perspective. I've narrowed it to either Penske or Ohlin coilvers... Any and all input is appreciated on this one guys! This one won't happen until later this year Link to both:

https://www.shopfigs.com/v3/CO_OHRT_LESMI00-ISF

https://www.rr-racing.com/Racing-Pen...isxfsu0002.htm
The following users liked this post:
mrrobato (05-11-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 02:00 PM

Received 5,846 Likes on 4,687 Posts
CL 2IS Subforum swears by FIGS stuff. I don't think you can go wrong if you go down that route.

Also Ohlins have also been very popular among that crowd.
The following users liked this post:
projektvertx (05-14-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 08:57 AM

^Mike provides great customer service and a great product! I was really happy when I bought the LCA bushings, he went above and beyond the questions I asked him.

But noted, looks like it's Ohlins. I'm on the fence about upgrading the upper control arm though, I don't think I'd benefit from it at all, and it's not like it's cheaper than OEM...
Old 05-14-2019, 09:29 AM

Received 638 Likes on 470 Posts
Looking clean as always.

Any performance upgrades in the future?
Old 05-14-2019, 11:22 AM
Registered Member

Received 992 Likes on 853 Posts
Nice update, you complaint about the RL? wait until you deal with the LS460 where the lower ball joint attached with knuckle itself
Old 05-14-2019, 01:08 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 2,539 Likes on 1,815 Posts
Looking good. Glad to see you are still enjoying the car.

I wish the Ohlins coilovers he finally completed had been around when I had mine. They look like an awesome setup.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:50 AM

Thank you!! Itís been a great car and a very smooth experience so far!!

Seems like Iím hearing the same thing over and over: Ohlin Mike over at FIGS also have me some great input as well!

Anyone have any thoughts on upgrading the upper control arm? Worth spending on a street car?
Old 05-20-2019, 08:57 AM

I did upgraded bushings to poly on my V both upper and lower and it made a good bit of difference in steering feel over the factory rubber ones. I assume that is what you are referring to. With the fact lots of people do the lower ones I feel like it would be better to have both the upper and lower be the same material.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey View Post
I did upgraded bushings to poly on my V both upper and lower and it made a good bit of difference in steering feel over the factory rubber ones. I assume that is what you are referring to. With the fact lots of people do the lower ones I feel like it would be better to have both the upper and lower be the same material.
When I did it on the Camry, steering response was sharper but ride quality suffered.... Thatís why Iím on the fence about this arm:

So essentially best practice would be to do the lowers too, which seems like more of a pain than itís worth with a car that Iím already happy with steering response.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by projektvertx View Post
When I did it on the Camry, steering response was sharper but ride quality suffered.... Thatís why Iím on the fence about this arm:

So essentially best practice would be to do the lowers too, which seems like more of a pain than itís worth with a car that Iím already happy with steering response.
Those upper control arms were not even a thing while I had mine. The lower bushings are the ones you definitely want to do. They use the same rubber bushings on the lowers as the IS250/350 use with the heavier V8 motor. Figs has the video documenting the issues with this. Also to me the ISF is a performance sedan so I wanted handling over ride but I know that isn't the same with everyone. I would understand being disappointed by loss of ride quality in a Camry though.