Let's go for a little ride from Fuji Speedway to...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 08:15 PM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts

I was sucked in hard but I'm not complaining..
Old 05-11-2019, 12:28 AM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
Bump! So I haven't been up to much since the last update! I saw my car's doppelganger recently on the freeway, which made me laugh!

I also noticed a minute amount of play in the tie rod end/ball joint, so I got to replacing the outer/inner tie rod and lower ball joint. Luckily Lexus had the right idea and sent the lower ball joint separate from the lower control arm, unlike the RL.... Funny story about that! I ordered OEM from a ClubLexus vendor (myLparts), and I received the correct driver side lower ball joint. However, the passenger side was incorrectly labeled, and I inevitably got two driver sides!! You could tell there was an old faded label on one of the packages and they had simply applied a new label on it. I didn't notice it until I installed the parts and the passenger wheel was solidly turned...

Luckily I shot an email explaining the situation to the guys at myLparts and he sent me the new parts right away. A+ vendor experience, I can tell you I'll keep using them in the future The picture below shows how far the passenger side wheel was turned with the incorrect part on there. Mind you, the steering wheel was perfectly centered for this picture...

After further inspection, I noticed that the markings didn't match at all and the angles didn't match AT ALL...

I also took the car in for a coating maintenance. Still looking good as always

On a related suspension note, I've made up my mind that I'll be going down the coilover route with this car, but keeping it at stock height. I'm merely going in this for ride comfort... I was hoping for some advise from some of the more experienced crew here. I've decided I'll replace the upper and lower control arms at the same time as well. Now, with that being said, I have a lot of decisions to make. With the lower control arm, I don't have much choice but OEM.

However, for the upper control arms, I can choose between OEM or I can go with FIGS track spec UCAs. Is it worth spending the extra ~200$ on these if all the car does is commute/weekend warrior and the occasional drag strip trip?

https://www.shopfigs.com/v3/ISF-FUCA-TRAC-V1

I've also come to a fork in the road with the coilovers. I've narrowed it down to two choices, CL has some really good advice but I'm hoping for a different perspective. I've narrowed it to either Penske or Ohlin coilvers... Any and all input is appreciated on this one guys! This one won't happen until later this year Link to both:

https://www.shopfigs.com/v3/CO_OHRT_LESMI00-ISF

https://www.rr-racing.com/Racing-Pen...isxfsu0002.htm
The following users liked this post:
mrrobato (05-11-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 02:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,612 Likes on 6,651 Posts
CL 2IS Subforum swears by FIGS stuff. I don't think you can go wrong if you go down that route.

Also Ohlins have also been very popular among that crowd.
projektvertx (05-14-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 08:57 AM

^Mike provides great customer service and a great product! I was really happy when I bought the LCA bushings, he went above and beyond the questions I asked him.

But noted, looks like it's Ohlins. I'm on the fence about upgrading the upper control arm though, I don't think I'd benefit from it at all, and it's not like it's cheaper than OEM...
Old 05-14-2019, 09:29 AM

Looking clean as always.

Any performance upgrades in the future?
Old 05-14-2019, 11:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
Nice update, you complaint about the RL? wait until you deal with the LS460 where the lower ball joint attached with knuckle itself
Old 05-14-2019, 01:08 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,673 Likes on 2,502 Posts
Looking good. Glad to see you are still enjoying the car.

I wish the Ohlins coilovers he finally completed had been around when I had mine. They look like an awesome setup.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:50 AM

Thank you!! It’s been a great car and a very smooth experience so far!!

Seems like I’m hearing the same thing over and over: Ohlin Mike over at FIGS also have me some great input as well!

Anyone have any thoughts on upgrading the upper control arm? Worth spending on a street car?
Old 05-20-2019, 08:57 AM

I did upgraded bushings to poly on my V both upper and lower and it made a good bit of difference in steering feel over the factory rubber ones. I assume that is what you are referring to. With the fact lots of people do the lower ones I feel like it would be better to have both the upper and lower be the same material.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
I did upgraded bushings to poly on my V both upper and lower and it made a good bit of difference in steering feel over the factory rubber ones. I assume that is what you are referring to. With the fact lots of people do the lower ones I feel like it would be better to have both the upper and lower be the same material.
When I did it on the Camry, steering response was sharper but ride quality suffered.... That’s why I’m on the fence about this arm:

So essentially best practice would be to do the lowers too, which seems like more of a pain than it’s worth with a car that I’m already happy with steering response.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by projektvertx
When I did it on the Camry, steering response was sharper but ride quality suffered.... That’s why I’m on the fence about this arm:

So essentially best practice would be to do the lowers too, which seems like more of a pain than it’s worth with a car that I’m already happy with steering response.
Those upper control arms were not even a thing while I had mine. The lower bushings are the ones you definitely want to do. They use the same rubber bushings on the lowers as the IS250/350 use with the heavier V8 motor. Figs has the video documenting the issues with this. Also to me the ISF is a performance sedan so I wanted handling over ride but I know that isn't the same with everyone. I would understand being disappointed by loss of ride quality in a Camry though.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:42 AM

Those upper control arms were not even a thing while I had mine. The lower bushings are the ones you definitely want to do. They use the same rubber bushings on the lowers as the IS250/350 use with the heavier V8 motor. Figs has the video documenting the issues with this. Also to me the ISF is a performance sedan so I wanted handling over ride but I know that isn't the same with everyone. I would understand being disappointed by loss of ride quality in a Camry though.
The #2 bushing shown in that video I replaced with satisfactory results and no effect on handling A little bit of an update on that front: I've decided I'll move forward with the poly bushings on the upper arm and #1 bushing on the lower arm.

Looking back at the setup I had on my Camry, it was totally a budget build for a college kid. I had TRD lowering springs installed on factory valved struts, along with poly bushings that were 90 durometer (overkill on a car like that). I think a combination of improperly valved struts and harder than necessary poly bushings is what contributed to the poor ride quality.

After exchanging some emails with Mike at FIGS expressing my concerns over ride quality with these poly bushings combined Ohlin coilovers, he helped put my mind at ease.

At this point I can't argue with your recommendation and Mike's I decided to have the new control arms shipped straight to the FIGS shop in Colorado for them to install the bushings. Looking forward to some new arms with poly bushings to come in by the end of this month or the beginning of the next

I also found some clear door puddle light lenses that were LED equipped and sprung for those. So far I'm pretty happy with them. The light output is still bright but more even than straight LED bulbs in there.

Old 06-05-2019, 11:55 AM

Glad to hear you chose to do them. Don't think you will be disappointed. Mike is definitely the man.
projektvertx (06-07-2019)
Old 11-07-2019, 12:13 AM

The "I'm still alive, I swear! I'm just lurking and I've been adjusting to a new job I swear!" bump! So now that I've adjusted to the new job, I have the time to give you guys an update. It also gives me the time to install all of the suspension bits I've accumulated over the summer! I've since installed a Viper SmartStart on the car, which has been great!! I finally switched everything over to Illinois and settled on a vanity plate for this vehicle(pictures all the way at the end ).I also opted to install the motorized hide a plate system!

I also had to change out the infamous pressure relief vents that hide behind the bumper. 90$ and 20 minutes later, no more exhaust smell in the cabin during spirited driving. Pictured is new on the top, old on the bottom. As you can see that flap wasn't closing the way it was supposed to!

I also upgraded my summer tire set to Michelin Pilot 4S after hitting 5/32nds, after getting pissed off with the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires. I managed to swing a good deal from Discount Tire

Summer proved to be very eventful. Our local F group leader did a great job in bringing us all together many times this summer for events, and even organized some fun cruises for us. He capped it off really well with a meet at McGrath Lexus where the GM agreed to bring out the LFA Nurburgring Edition for us!! He arranged a long distance cruise to Galena, IL which was awesome! There was also a meet that was open to the public in NW Indiana at Merrilville Lexus where we got priority parking

Pictured below is the car at Iron Gate, some private condos for automotive enthusiasts.

This was during one of our events as well.

And the LFA

I was also fortunate enough to have the winter wheels refinished before I installed them. I absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE how well Crown Customs in Elk Grove Village, IL redid them. I can see why they came in so highly recommended. They refinished it in the same color as OEM but somehow managed to make the color pop way more. The color was very brilliant, but didn't photograph well.

As you may have also guessed, I opted to go with a vanity plate for both of the cars "RTD F" was the choice for the Lexus and "Plate" was the choice for the RL. Both on the Route 66 Illinois special plate

For being a sports sedan, it's honestly been a smooth ownership experience! Nothing but good things to say 21K miles later! I'm very impressed with how reliable the car has been and how good to me it's been! I also have a small surprise for you guys. Since I haven't run the RL in the snow and salt since I've owned it, and driving the IS-F in the snow wasn't as fun as one would think (considering I had to be at work LOL), I decided to take up a good deal when I saw it on a third vehicle that will be my new beater car. I'll be picking it up from Pauly Honda tomorrow morning! 2012 Honda Accord EX-L, with Navigation.

Now that you guys know I'm not dead, I'll be providing more regular updates

Last edited by projektvertx; 11-07-2019 at 12:18 AM.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:46 AM

Received 5,304 Likes on 3,638 Posts
LFA

What was your issue with the PS AS3+? Ours have been fantastic, though they're on a FWD Flex.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:36 AM
Turd Polisher

Received 3,006 Likes on 1,514 Posts
Great update and nice daily! Love the 8th gen Accords.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:42 AM
Senior Moderator

My same-gen IS350 runs A/S 3+ and they're great
Old 11-07-2019, 11:17 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,921 Likes on 14,461 Posts
i could have sworn you inherited an IS250 @thoiboi
shit...that 350 is fuckin quick!
Old 11-07-2019, 12:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by rockstar143
i could have sworn you inherited an IS250 @thoiboi
shit...that 350 is fuckin quick!
dafuq.. do i look like a plebe?

I wouldn't be caught with an IS250.. slow as mole asses
Old 11-07-2019, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by thoiboi
My same-gen IS350 runs A/S 3+ and they're great
IS350? Is this some sort of peasant word? JK JK haha
Originally Posted by TylerT
Great update and nice daily! Love the 8th gen Accords.
Thanks! It feels weird and nice to pump regular in a car again My wallet likes it for sure!
Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
LFA

What was your issue with the PS AS3+? Ours have been fantastic, though they're on a FWD Flex.
Honestly, I despised those tires so much!! They are marketed as performance tires, but quite frankly they should be sold as Grand Touring tires. ANYTHING, and I mean ANYTHING would make them loose traction. It was absolutely terrible.

I also forgot to mention, I finally installed my Kicker Hideaway in the truck. It’s nice to have bass, since the stock ML system is not calibrated you have much of it to begin with! I have the bass adjustment knob right by me. Pics to come!

Finally picked her up, almost ready for winter! The dealer was nice enough to throw in a set of all weather mats and a trunk all weather mat for me

Old 11-07-2019, 12:39 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,456 Likes on 924 Posts
Nice update! I work in EGV so CC is just right down the street from me. Never needed PC work before but now I know where to go if I do.
Old 11-07-2019, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by projektvertx
Honestly, I despised those tires so much!! They are marketed as performance tires, but quite frankly they should be sold as Grand Touring tires. ANYTHING, and I mean ANYTHING would make them loose traction. It was absolutely terrible.
Interesting, only just now starting to have that happen on occasion as ours are getting more on the worn side.
Guess that's the difference in a 262/248 FWD SUV & a 416/371 RWD Sport Sedan.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:12 PM
Cruising in ATL!!

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
great looking car. Just recently purchased RC-F so i’m Now part of ‘F’ club. Would be awesome to have IS-F as a daily driver so i can take my two little kids.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by RPhilMan1
Nice update! I work in EGV so CC is just right down the street from me. Never needed PC work before but now I know where to go if I do.
100% would recommend them! It was pretty much unanimous when I asked around

Originally Posted by baboya96
great looking car. Just recently purchased RC-F so i’m Now part of ‘F’ club. Would be awesome to have IS-F as a daily driver so i can take my two little kids.
The RC-F is a fun time! I don't know if I could deal with owning a two door vehicle.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
So about 3 years later you are now listen to me about driving that ISF in snow lol.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by truonghthe
So about 3 years later you are now listen to me about driving that ISF in snow lol.
LOL yeah I caved in. More practical to drive something else
Old 01-01-2020, 12:35 PM

Got some professional pictures taken of the car at night

The following 2 users liked this post by projektvertx:
rockstar143 (01-02-2020), Yumcha (01-01-2020)
Old 01-01-2020, 06:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,667 Likes on 13,903 Posts
Very nice.
projektvertx (01-02-2020)
Old 01-02-2020, 06:21 AM

light painting!
Nice, dude.
projektvertx (01-02-2020)
Old 03-11-2020, 11:50 AM

Finally decided to get unlazy and got all my new part in. Tearing the car down this week, also slated are new upper and lower control arms with poly bushings. I’m hoping I don’t find too many surprises on tear down. Thanks for FIGS for supplying all quality parts! Let me say this, this is my first set of coilovers I’ve ever ordered for any vehicle I’ve owner but man do these coils look and feel like quality...

I’m a little excited as this should solve my biggest complaint with this car. I’m hoping someone has some good advice on setting these up? I’m sticking with the highest ride height for now which lowers the car by 0.1 inches.

Old 03-11-2020, 11:51 AM

Also, live shot of me opening the box and finding new stickers for my toolbox

The following 5 users liked this post by projektvertx:
00TL-P3.2 (03-11-2020), charliemike (03-11-2020), rockstar143 (03-16-2020), teh CL (03-15-2020), thoiboi (03-11-2020)
Old 03-11-2020, 12:14 PM
Senior Moderator

stickers are the friggin best!

oh man this is gonna be good.
projektvertx (03-16-2020)
Old 03-11-2020, 01:00 PM

Ohlins
projektvertx (03-16-2020)
Old 03-15-2020, 12:51 PM

projektvertx (03-15-2020)
Old 03-16-2020, 07:53 AM

those are some foxy coils.
Surprised you didn't splurge and get some higher end ones like megan or form and function.
Old 03-16-2020, 11:36 PM

those are some foxy coils.
Surprised you didn't splurge and get some higher end ones like megan or form and function.
I don't think I could have splurged more than what I did for these coils. Man it was so hard to click that order button and watch my balance drop 4K instantly So everything went... Eerily smooth with the install... I did round a couple of nuts but nothing to write home about. All of my heavy duty tools sat in the corner making sad noises as they weren't being used. On a sad side note, I noticed I'm approaching a brake change much quicker than I would have like. It doesn't look like I'll make it past the summer without a new set of pads and rotors.

I picked the car up from the shop after the alignment, sadly I haven't gotten in as much driving as I would have wanted on day 1 with these given we're pretty busy at work. Thanks Corona! With that being said, here are my initial impressions:

I have it set right down to the middle click as of now, I want to spend some time this weekend tinkering and driving to perfect the settings to my liking. Massive improvement in pitch and body roll around corners/turns, notably at highway speeds. Cars holds level much better on turns. Very well dampened while also being aggressive able to hold the rear end down. The car is able to put the it's power down MUCH better now. It's a very well balanced setup! Quite frankly, I'm mad at myself for not doing this sooner!!

I'm really excited to get more seat time this weekend
Old 03-17-2020, 06:31 AM

Looks good!
I was hoping that I picked shitty enough brands to make it obvious that I was being sarcastic.
The following 2 users liked this post by rockstar143:
projektvertx (03-19-2020), thoiboi (03-17-2020)
Old 03-17-2020, 10:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Looks good!
I was hoping that I picked shitty enough brands to make it obvious that I was being sarcastic.
yourjokeisbadandyoushouldfeelbad.jaypeg
Old 03-19-2020, 06:43 AM

Ohlins

Ballin right there for sure. I bet that thing drives like a dream. I loved mine on my BCRacing coils over the stock. I can't imagine it on really good coils like those along with the new poly control arm bushing. Love fallowing you build on this. Keep it up
projektvertx (03-19-2020)
Old 03-19-2020, 11:16 PM

Looks good!
Joke was probably too obvious for me!

Ohlins

Ballin right there for sure. I bet that thing drives like a dream. I loved mine on my BCRacing coils over the stock. I can't imagine it on really good coils like those along with the new poly control arm bushing. Love fallowing you build on this. Keep it up
Thank you thank you I'm still tweaking the settings trying to figure out what's perfect but so far it's leaps and bounds ahead of the factory suspension!! Like this ride is amazing! Honestly I wish they had sent the car this way from the factory.

Right now I'm at 20 clicks front/25 back away from stiffest. Mike from FIGS recommended I keep the the rear 5 clicks softer than the front. I'm still trying to figure out the optimal balance, and it's mostly been butt dyno so far! I'll be driving the car all weekend so I'll be able to iron everything out! More to come!
CCColtsicehockey (03-23-2020)

Quick Reply: Let's go for a little ride from Fuji Speedway to...