Is knowing how to drive stick in America still essential?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 12:40 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,477 Likes on 934 Posts
Is knowing how to drive stick in America still essential?

(CNN) -- When Linda Waterhouse was 16, she went out with a friend who had too much to drink and couldn't drive home. If her friend's car had been an automatic, there wouldn't have been a problem -- but it had a manual transmission.

Luckily, Waterhouse had driven a tractor before, giving her some familiarity with stick-shift driving. She wrestled the car into second gear and managed to drive them home.

Now a mother of three girls, Waterhouse and her husband have already taught two of their daughters to "drive stick."

"You never know when you're going to need the skill," she said.

The ability to drive a car with a manual transmission has long been considered an essential skill, especially for young drivers. Yet decades after Waterhouse's impromptu introduction to stick shifts, changes in the makeup of the automobile and American consumer habits mean mastering the manual may no longer be a practical necessity.

Downshifting: Thinning of manual herd

In the earliest days of the automobile industry, cars came with only one type of transmission: the manual.

After General Motors released the first automatic transmission -- the 1940 Oldsmobile Hydra-Matic -- automobile manufacturers swiftly moved away from manuals. By 1957, 82.7% of American-made cars were equipped with automatic transmissions, according to "Ward's 1958 Automotive Yearbook."

Though manuals have accounted for about 4% of American car sales in recent years, experts were surprised to see the percentage jump almost 3% in the first quarter of 2012, according to a report by Edmunds.com.

The percentages may seem small, but with nearly 12.8 million cars sold in the U.S. last year, those sales add up to more than a half million manuals.

Some manufacturers have inferred that the 6.98% "take rate," or percentage of total cars bought, signifies a manual comeback in the consumer market.

Despite earlier worry about appealing to millennials, Cristi Landry, Chevrolet's small car marketing manager, said General Motors believes there's a future for manuals in the U.S. consumer market. The company has gone so far as to create mechanisms meant to make manuals more appealing to drive, like the rollback-ready Hill Start Assist feature.

Upshifting: comeback or blip?

Chris Terry, a product communications representative for Ford Motors, said that while he's not so sure manuals are making a comeback with average consumers, he believes some people will always want them.
"Most people are just interested in getting from A to B," Terry said.

People who purchase manuals, Terry said, either love the act of driving or are enticed by manuals' historically lower price tag. (Some small cars like the Chevrolet Sonic, however, are more expensive as manuals.)

"Manual transmissions are considered common novelty. In the rest of the world, it just isn't so," Terry said.

If automatics become cheaper in other countries, this may change, he said.

Despite the uptick in manual take rates, not everyone is convinced manuals are making a comeback.

"The U.S. market has been moving away from manuals over the past couple of decades," said Steve Yaeger, Nissan's technology and motorsports communications manager. "We do not see a change in that trend in the foreseeable future."

Nissan, which only offered manual transmissions in 10 of its 19 models in 2011, had an overall manual take rate of 2.1% last year. Just over half of manual sales came from two cars -- the Z Coupe and the Frontier pickup truck.

"It might look like there's a stick-shift revival under way in 2012, but we're not so sure," Edmunds.com Features Editor Carroll Lachnit said. "Fewer manual transmission cars on the road will mean, eventually, that there will be fewer parents or friends who know how to drive them, and so fewer teachers for the next generation."

Pumping the brakes on hype

Manuals, when driven correctly, have traditionally been more fuel efficient than other transmission types, but new transmissions and improvements to automatics have rendered this moot in some models. The automatic Ford Focus gets slightly better gas mileage than its manual counterpart; moreover, new options like continuously variable, dual-clutch and semi-automatic transmissions with paddle shifters, while expensive, can make up for their price tag with fuel efficiency.

"Almost all the high-mpg cars you see advertised on TV, whether they're hybrids or a Chevy Cruze, get their best mileage with one of these other types of transmissions," Cars.com Managing Editor David Thomas said.

It's important to remember that gas prices, while high, have been high for the past few years -- and manual take rates haven't skyrocketed in that period of time.

Where are manuals' advantages?

For some consumers with children, technological advancements in other transmissions are outshined by perceived experiential benefits of the manual.

Margaret Menotti, an account manager in Boston, is wary of teaching new drivers in automatic cars.

"We made both of our children learn to drive on a stick," Menotti said. "And it's still the only thing they drive."

Menotti said the prevalence of manuals overseas was a major factor in her decision.

"It takes time and practice, but it's worth it," said Christina Menotti, Margaret's daughter. "Once it clicks you don't even think about it."

Many parents also falsely believe that having their children drive manuals will keep them safer because it's more difficult to text or talk on the phone while driving. But neither is impossible, and you can't control other drivers on the road.

Multiple federal and state transportation agencies stated accident logs do not differentiate between transmission types.

Lessons from the brains of driving instructors

While there remain parents who want their kids to drive stick, most driving schools consider such requests anomalous, Lachnit of Edmunds.com said.

"Chances are at some point they are going to be exposed to a car with a standard manual transmission," added Robert Lindsay of The Driver Training Group, a driving school based in Washington state. "Depending on where the teen lives and the types of cars they are allotted to drive, it is relevant and necessary for some and not others. Our teens tell us unless there is a direct need, they can learn later in life."

Lindsay said no more than 15% of his school's students come from families owning manuals and that fewer students actually drive them. Overall, the school gets only about two or three manual training requests a month.

"I think the old school thought is, 'I learned on a stick back in the day, so my kid should,'" Lindsay said, "but that doesn't mean it's right. Those that are into cars are much more likely to want to learn."

His school starts all of its students in cars with automatic transmissions if they do not request otherwise, and does not keep a manual car in its fleet, he said.

Ken Stout, president of DriveTeam Inc. in Independence, Ohio, recently purchased a six-speed manual Mini Cooper for his fleet after finding out some students wanted to learn to drive it.

"I don't know how many of (the students) just want to drive a Mini Cooper and how many of them actually want to learn to drive manual as a life skill, though," Stout said.

Drive Team's manual student population has held steady at 15% for the last five years, and parents usually are the ones who ask for their children to learn manual rather than the children themselves, Stout said.

Still, Lindsay and Stout concur with those who think learning manuals can make a student a better driver than those who simply drive automatics. Stout added that the desire has to be there.

"It's wonderful for them to learn it," Stout said, "but you have to want that. You have to want to play golf to go take a golf lesson."

He's not so sure that matters to all parents, as some seem disinclined to make their children the independent drivers they should be.

"I've got parents asking me why we teach their kids to parallel park when the car does it for you," he said.
http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/19/us/man...html?hpt=us_t4
Old 07-20-2012, 12:54 PM
Currently Post-Acura

Received 125 Likes on 88 Posts
I want to learn how to drive stick, but almost no one I know drives a manual. The only person who has a manual is my friend, in his '94 Ford Ranger. I did it once, and he said I wasn't bad (he said all my other friends sucked at it). But other than that truck, no car in my household or owned by my relatives is a manual. Although my friend suggested going to a dealer (like a VW) and test driving a manual to teach me on
Old 07-20-2012, 01:22 PM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
Among my high school friends (who all know how to drive MT), I'm the only one still driving nothing but MT.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:25 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Depends on your age

As you get older most of the people you know will start buying automatics. The chances of needing to know how to drive stick at age 50 or so are low. Not to paint everyone with the same brush but once you're that age you probably have the sports car urge out of your system and just want something relaxing to drive, more so than when you were 20 at least.

Almost every male friend I have drives stick.... so if we need a DD they'd better know how to drive a manual.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:25 PM
Baller of Uni

Received 511 Likes on 396 Posts
I think you should have to take your drivers license test in a manual. So many people have no clue when it comes to a manual. When I was interviewing for a job at a dealership in high school the first question asked was "Can you drive a manual?"
Old 07-20-2012, 01:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Based on the number of auto and CVT transmissions out there... even in high end cars (Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, etc), I'd say the answer to that question is pretty obvious...
Old 07-20-2012, 01:53 PM
-Brandon

Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts
I think that knowing how to drive a manual is something everyone should know how to do. My drivers education class at school offers an after-school class where you could learn to drive a manual. It was not the same though because it was driving around a course, where I couldn't even get out of third gear. My friend drives an Audi TT 5-speed and I was able to take his out on an actual road and only stalled twice, both at a stop light.

Nowadays almost every car is an auto, and even sports cars are drifting away from manual trannys and gearing towards paddle-shifters (which are cool, but not the same).
Old 07-20-2012, 02:00 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
No, it's no longer essential unless you are in the motor vehicle industry, racing or valet business.

Manual trans versions of cars are not stocked by many dealers. Some cars are now coming out with CVT only or CVT + conventional auto, not to mention PDK or other "automated manual" rather than a real manual trans. Properly-set up stick-shift cars are more fun-- I'd only get a manual in an MX-5 or Mustang GT, for example-- but increasingly rare, even in exotics, which have moved to automated manuals.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:00 PM
In the Mid-South meow

Received 2,157 Likes on 1,098 Posts
As long as they continue to make manuals I will drive a manual.
The following users liked this post:
Sly Raskal (08-02-2012)
Old 07-20-2012, 02:03 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
It's no longer essential.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,249 Likes on 4,859 Posts
Cliffs? tl;dr it all.

On a similar point, I had a friend who stayed in Australia for 4 months and had to drive his buddy's car home from the bar one night. Of course it was manual, and of course they drive on the wrong side of the road.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Well we own two cars with a manual. The CR-Z and the S2000.

I consider it an anti-theft deterrent
The following 2 users liked this post by Ken1997TL:
Mr Marco (07-24-2012), Sly Raskal (08-02-2012)
Old 07-20-2012, 03:09 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
In the States it's not necessary. If you travel abroad you better know...
Old 07-20-2012, 03:10 PM
Baller of Uni

Received 511 Likes on 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Well we own two cars with a manual. The CR-Z and the S2000.

I consider it an anti-theft deterrent
I forget where I saw it, but I saw somewhere a guy got carjacked, dude couldn't drive a stick, so the guy whose car it was offered to drive him to where he was going. Guy drives him there, then the thief thanks him, then leaves. I want to say it was in St. Louis, but I can't seem to remember/find it. I'd have driven that sucker straight to the police station.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,098 Likes on 832 Posts
First time i learn how to drive stick. had to drive from LA to San Diego.
justnspace (07-20-2012)
Old 07-20-2012, 03:31 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Hapa DC5
In the States it's not necessary. If you travel abroad you better know...
This. Was in Munich last week and the split is about 50/50, if not greater with bias towards manuals.

That said, I wish I knew how to drive stick.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:16 PM
Senior Moderator

As long as you aren't in a sports car with a short throw, there is really nothing to it. The more torque there is, the better too, but that starts to conflict with the shorter throws. A Cummins Turbo diesel is a 's best friend.

Although, one should always attempt their first take off in an empty space.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,098 Likes on 832 Posts
Its not essential here, Half the idiots on the road can't drive with an auto, what more with a stick.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
Depends on if you like to or not.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:41 PM
Turd Polisher

Received 3,027 Likes on 1,518 Posts
I'm with SuperTrooper, as long as they're being produced I will buy.

I started driving stick shift about 2.5 years ago .. not going back to automatic unless my left leg is chopped off.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:10 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
It used to be that people chose sticks for performance. Sticks were always faster than their automatic counterparts. Now with DCT, I don't know where sticks are headed in the future. Sticks no longer hold an advantage in MPG either.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
We required both of our driving aged kids to learn to drive a manual tranny prior to getting a license. We will do the same with our 5 y/o daughter and 19 m/o son when the time comes. Period.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:07 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Def good to know how to drive stick you nvr know what situation u might get into. my only problem with standard is im a different person when driving. speed racer!!!!! Hence tickets. dnt know bout everyone else.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:41 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
wish i could choose the cars I drive (company car provided), if so they would be manual. I sure miss my 6spd tl.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I will be teaching my son how to drive stick in nine years, when he is eligible for a learner's permit. Even though he will most likely drive an automatic most of the time, you never know when you will have to drive stick.

That said, driving stick is no longer essential unless your job requires it, or you are a car enthusiast, just like the article says.

The most amazing statement in the article is that 80% of American cars were automatics by 1957. The MT has been on the ropes for almost 60 years and yet is still here.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:51 PM
All About Trance

Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
I love manuals and had only own an auto once. That was enough for me to want to get back in a manual again and will continue to seek out MT cars.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:03 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob

The most amazing statement in the article is that 80% of American cars were automatics by 1957. The MT has been on the ropes for almost 60 years and yet is still here.
I think we have to thank Europe for that, all those little sub 2 litre cars really drive substantially different with an MT vs AT. Most AT's in those cars feel bogged down until it get's wound up.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
I can live without manual transmissions as long as there is some type of dual clutch transmission.

With that said, I still enjoy driving my black boner.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:42 PM
Senior Moderator

All my family has ever owned growing up was manuals with exception to Legend #1. Everyone except me still has a manual too. While I enjoy the driving experience a manual can supply, I much more enjoy resting my left leg on my door every day at 5:00 while my wrist does all the work.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:49 PM
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Only true drivers use manual
Sly Raskal (08-02-2012)
Old 07-21-2012, 07:11 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,284 Likes on 2,642 Posts
Not required in the states but much more fun to drive
Old 07-21-2012, 09:51 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
I wanted to learn how to drive a stick so I put a manual trans in my car. I never looked back. I feel like laziness in American culture has created this automatic syndrome. as people look to save money, manual take rates will continue to grow.

Generational studies have shown that Gen Y buyers are swayed to manuals simply because they are cheaper. I feel like this article was a bit biased towards automatic, saying that automatic fuel efficiency would "pay for the cost of an auto" is the stupidest thing I have heard. It would take 5-7 years to break even on the cost of an auto.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:58 AM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,845 Likes on 4,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Not required in the states but much more fun to drive
Old 07-21-2012, 01:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by mn2trance
I love manuals and had only own an auto once. That was enough for me to want to get back in a manual again and will continue to seek out MT cars.
I completely agree with you. Been driving a manual for 7 years and than went to an auto and didn't really enjoy driving, and than traded to a 6MT TL-S and don't regret it all.

Last edited by vp55; 07-21-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:51 PM
Off roading in his

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by MaxMike93
I want to learn how to drive stick, but almost no one I know drives a manual. The only person who has a manual is my friend, in his '94 Ford Ranger. I did it once, and he said I wasn't bad (he said all my other friends sucked at it). But other than that truck, no car in my household or owned by my relatives is a manual. Although my friend suggested going to a dealer (like a VW) and test driving a manual to teach me on
I'm in the same exact boat, except no one around me drives a car with MT.

The only time I tried a MT car was a supercharged CL, and it was a lot of fun, even though it was only in a parking lot.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:21 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
You never know, if they start marketing more towards manuals the take rate could go up. I know im being optimistic, but it would be nice to see the manual take rate go up to 10-20%.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:25 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My first two cars I drove as a teenager were manuals and I loved driving them even though they weren't really too nice of cars..

I would have loved to find a TL-S as I just recently bought a base '08, but couldn't find one that met my requirements.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by phee
I wanted to learn how to drive a stick so I put a manual trans in my car. I never looked back. I feel like laziness in American culture has created this automatic syndrome. as people look to save money, manual take rates will continue to grow.
I disagree with manuals being cheaper nowadays.

Exhibit A: The ILX.

Automakers understand that enthusiasts are the ones who want stick the most. So why not make them pay more? The 5AT base ILX is cheaper than the 6MT. Yes, the 6MT is paired with the 2.4 liter engine, but the fact is that Acura put together an ILX package specifically geared toward those who like to drive, and wants to make them pay for it. (This doesn't explain the inexplicable lack of Tech package, but that's another story for another thread.

I think this is the trend that will continue in 6MTs.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
If you want to DRIVE a car- manual transmission
If you want to RIDE your car- automatic transmission

With manual you not only get more of a feel for the car, but overall better feel for driving. Never owned and auto and never will, living in the UK now, RHD+manual is pretty sick lol there might be a toyota ft86 in my near future
Old 07-21-2012, 07:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
I suppose it likely depends on which manual tranny is being used as to whether or not it's cheaper. clearly an AV6 6MT is no cheaper than its 5AT counterpart but the Accord 4cyl 5MT is $800 cheaper than its 5AT counterpart.

But ; with the migration to 6MT transmissions, the 'manual is cheaper' arrangement is going the way of the Dodo.

Quick Reply: Is knowing how to drive stick in America still essential?