Keyless cars

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 11:59 AM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
Keyless cars

So I'm sitting in a parking lot waiting and notice the new A6 3.2 next to me. It was one of those funny colors that change with light - silver bluish.

I'm real close to the passanger door and was just looking at it from inside my car. Then it dawned on me - that car has no keyhole in the door, it has no lock knob inside on any door and no keyhole in the steering column.

I always read about these cool features on high end cars but staring at there long enough it finally sunk in. The technology is trickling down to more and more cars.

Then I thought - how do you get in if the battery is dead?

And then I thought - why are these things on high end cars AND sometimes they charge you extra for it? The way I look at it, the savings from the lack of hole in the doors, the saved mechanism in the door, the lack of hole/knob inside the door, the lack of a keyswitch and interlock on the steering column is probably more than the little electronics to make a keyless system.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:50 PM
Use all 3 Pedals at once

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The TSX doesn't have a keyhole in the passenger door either, the only keyhole that the TSX has is on the driver's door.
Old 11-03-2004, 02:35 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
The new 3-Series has keyless entry...I think that's the first time this technology has been offered in that price bracket.

Perhaps there's a keyhole on the driver's side? I know the RL has keyless entry also, but there's a spare key as well, so there must be a backup plan somewhere.
Old 11-03-2004, 03:09 PM
Boy Genius

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not fond of the lack of a manual backup or override. Why not keep things simple, or at least allow the option of being able to unlock with a key? I seem to hear about all these electrical problems with German cars, and knowing that I may not be able to manually unlock the doors from either the inside or outside makes me uncomfortable, if not from a reliability standpoint then from a safety standpoint. Perhaps the doors are designed to open from the inside regardless of the lock position?
Old 11-03-2004, 03:11 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
There usually is a manual override of some sort. Because the system is wholly electronic, if something goes wrong with the electrical system, the owner would get screwed.
Old 11-03-2004, 03:40 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm certain that anyone who owned a MK IV golf/jetta had considered blanking all the door locks out. I nearly considered doing this as my old car was broken into 3 times. Then I came to my senses and asked what would happen if my battery died.
Old 11-03-2004, 03:42 PM
Finally out of Kentucky

Actually, you should start seeing this technology in the next couple months in a vehicle cheaper than the 3-Series. Push Button Start, very trick.

But I was also wondering. . . Say you leave some valuable (i.e. sungalsses, laptop, etc) in your car and you're walking to your car (driver's side). Now, you're within distance for the key thingy to allow you to open the door and BAM. . . some dude just ran up to you car opened the door and snagged your sunglasses and laptop via the passenger side door. Sure the technology is cool, but I still think a key is "safer". I mean, you can't stab an assailant with your smart key.
Old 11-03-2004, 03:43 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by Poindexter
Actually, you should start seeing this technology in the next couple months in a vehicle cheaper than the 3-Series. Push Button Start, very trick.

But I was also wondering. . . Say you leave some valuable (i.e. sungalsses, laptop, etc) in your car and you're walking to your car (driver's side). Now, you're within distance for the key thingy to allow you to open the door and BAM. . . some dude just ran up to you car opened the door and snagged your sunglasses and laptop via the passenger side door. Sure the technology is cool, but I still think a key is "safer". I mean, you can't stab an assailant with your smart key.
I'm sure someone has thought of this scenario and there is a way to prevent it.

And yeah, you can't stab someone with a keyfob.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:09 PM
OG

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Poindexter

The keyless access system in the RL will only unlock the drivers side dr when the drivers side handle is use. All the drs will unlock if the passenger side handle is used to unlock the car first.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:44 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by biker
So I'm sitting in a parking lot waiting and notice the new A6 3.2 next to me. It was one of those funny colors that change with light - silver bluish.

I'm real close to the passanger door and was just looking at it from inside my car. Then it dawned on me - that car has no keyhole in the door, it has no lock knob inside on any door and no keyhole in the steering column.

I always read about these cool features on high end cars but staring at there long enough it finally sunk in. The technology is trickling down to more and more cars.

Then I thought - how do you get in if the battery is dead?

And then I thought - why are these things on high end cars AND sometimes they charge you extra for it? The way I look at it, the savings from the lack of hole in the doors, the saved mechanism in the door, the lack of hole/knob inside the door, the lack of a keyswitch and interlock on the steering column is probably more than the little electronics to make a keyless system.
I think it would be a safety hazard if each door did not have an unlock button on the inside. On the a6, two buttons are located next to the open handles. The drivers door also has a keyhole in case something were to happen to the electronics.

Think the cheapest car with this feature is the Toyota Prius.
Old 11-07-2004, 08:54 PM
Advanced

Easy solution to the lack of a manual override:

Old 11-07-2004, 09:26 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

VWs unlock when you pull the inside door handle, whether the doors are locked or not. I imagine other manufacturers have similar systems.

(it drives me crazy that the TSX lacks this useful feature)
Old 11-07-2004, 10:59 PM
Master in Science

Originally Posted by TSXforme
I'm certain that anyone who owned a MK IV golf/jetta had considered blanking all the door locks out. I nearly considered doing this as my old car was broken into 3 times. Then I came to my senses and asked what would happen if my battery died.
That never happened to me (had a Jetta IV for 4 years), but I know it's extremelly common in Brazil. VW had to change the design of the door locks on new car models and issue a recall (unheard of in Brazil) to stop the thefts, since the gov't filed a class action lawsuit against them. Lots of stolen cars = lots of liability.
Old 11-08-2004, 12:50 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jcg878
VWs unlock when you pull the inside door handle, whether the doors are locked or not. I imagine other manufacturers have similar systems.

(it drives me crazy that the TSX lacks this useful feature)

BMW's use the same system now, I believe...I personally like having door locks, but I can see your point
Old 11-08-2004, 01:53 AM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
Originally Posted by Lestat
Easy solution to the lack of a manual override:

Love that Hurst tool - the ultimate car opener.

Biker, who in a former life used to handle one of those things.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by slo007
That never happened to me (had a Jetta IV for 4 years), but I know it's extremelly common in Brazil. VW had to change the design of the door locks on new car models and issue a recall (unheard of in Brazil) to stop the thefts, since the gov't filed a class action lawsuit against them. Lots of stolen cars = lots of liability.

Consider yourself lucky...but look at where I live...the car theft capital of North America.