Just test drove a TSX

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2003, 10:31 AM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Just test drove a TSX

So I took in the CLS this morning for servicing and to get a couple of niggles fixed. I have been waiting for this appointment as an excuse to test drive the TSX. It was 9AM so the salesmen were just getting there. I was looking at a black one with tan interior in the showroom. Pretty good comparison since my set up is similar. This peice had the the navi. OK, here goes:

INTERIOR:
All i can say is WOW. It is beautiful. The materials/ fit and finish is excellent. Definately better quality then our cars. the Navigaiton has a huge screen. There is an MP3 player available as an accessory to the in dash 6 disc changer. The wheel tilts AND, more importantly, telecscopes. This may not seem like a big deal to some of you, but the is a BIG gripe of mine with the CLS.
As soon as i sat in the car, I instantly felt as ease. I know that this is very subjective, but everything seemed very intuitive. The shift nob (which is a gorgeous aluminum/ leather concoction) was right where my hand came down.
The car has all the bells and whistles...voice activated Navi blah blah blah. The seat was way comfortable. The back seats had a good amount of room as well. It has dual climate controls which has cool, too. The only wierd thing i saw was that the passenger seat is not a power one. Not that it matters to me ( i would never be sitting in it! ) but, i definately noticed it.
One thing I LOVE about Acura's are there huge trunks. I haul a lot of shit a lot and that is very important to me. I am happy to say that the TSX doesnt dissapointment in this area. The trunk is huge!! That was a big complaint of mine when i was looking at Bimmers. Another thing to note is that the rear seats fold down so, that is even more space. Another thumbs up

EXTERIOR:
I am not a big fan of 4 doors but this car looks sharp. There is also a cool body kit available for this car. The car is attractive. It looks a lot better outside than it did at the Auto Show. I wasnt to impressed then, but i like the way it looks after seeing it today. The front end looks very agressive IMO.

THE DRIVE:

The most important part. The part you really want to hear about!! Well, I dunno why people worry about this thing being underpowered ... it is very peppy. I was impressed with the acceleration. The interior is quiet as hell. The gauges are cool, too. I noticed them..so that is why i am talking about them. They are lit up all the time. I like the red/ bue / white light combo better than the tired color of our backlight. I have alwyays wanted to change the color of our interior lights. Anyways back to the drive.....
Like I said "peppy" More than enough power i thought. It is real tight around the turns as well. And NO NOISE. I can't stress this enough. The car is a lot quiter than ours. The Engine is not buzzy at all. It sounds very refined. I was expecting something similar to the RSX, but it does not sound the same. It has a nice sound to it...and it doesnt seem to run out of breath. The car revs very easily and seemed to be happy anywhere in the tac. The gearbox is phenomenal. Bery smooth...it seems to go right in to the next gear without much help from me. I dunno how it would be with an automatic. I am not interested in the automatic at all. My CLS will be my first and last automatic. From what i read in someone elses post...they were not happy with the automatic and the car seemed like a dog. All I can say is, with the 6 speed this is definately NOT a dog. I enjoyed driving the car a lot. The salesman really loved when i would whip the car thru turns :P. But, hey...what else you gonna do...it is a testdrive, right

Side notes: with the NAVI, 17 inch wheels etc...the car stickered at 28 something. It is 26 something w/o the navi. Considering the rifinement and the gearbox and the Navi and everything...i think this car is a good deal. i would look ( i am) looking at it seriously. Well, we'll see what my fickle mind thinks in a couple days about that, but reagardless, this is a great car. If this is the direction Acura is taking now...there is hope for them. I don't want to get into discussions of FWD and RWD/ AWD. That stuff is not as important to me. Especially in cars like this. If that was the case...i would only look at M3's

Well, there is my story...enjoy.
Old 06-17-2003, 11:52 AM
Revving at 9K...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good review.

I'm going to try one out myself, when I take mine in for service next week.
Old 06-17-2003, 01:39 PM
__

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
great review!
Old 06-17-2003, 01:57 PM
Advanced

The TSX 6 speed manual is an entertaining car. I got to test drive one myself about a month ago. I really enjoyed it. Very good, (quick and smooth) shifter. The engine revs nicely. It's not the most powerfull car, but it has more than enough go juice to make one happy.

Overall, it's a very nice package that I would be happy with over the long term (if I were to purchase one). It would be a fun daily driver.

I don't know about the automatic. But, I would not buy a small car like that with an automatic anyway.
Old 06-17-2003, 02:51 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
i agree... i would not buy a small car like that with an automatic, either.
Old 06-17-2003, 03:54 PM
What, me drive fast?

As many of you have probably read, I test drove the automatic with my fiance' last weekend and it was a dog. So frikkin' slow that it was frustrating. Such lag time when you step on the gas and the engine says..."what? gas? Oh yeah, I'll go now". I am sure that the manual is leagues beyond the auto. I agree with the rest of the review as far as the look and quality of the car. My fiance' just picked the wrong tranny to try!

My 1998 Prelude (with the same hp) was an auto and it was way zippier than the TSX.
Old 06-17-2003, 03:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by blackmagiCL_S
My 1998 Prelude (with the same hp) was an auto and it was way zippier than the TSX.
And as a coupe vs a luxury sedan, I'm sure the 'lude was a lot lighter too.
Old 06-17-2003, 05:55 PM
I love my G sedan

Good review.
Old 06-17-2003, 06:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by AcuraFan
And as a coupe vs a luxury sedan, I'm sure the 'lude was a lot lighter too.
Probably gearing advantage more than weight. The last gen lude was no lightweight.
Old 06-17-2003, 06:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Right, gearing makes a big difference as well. I was just saying you can't compare a coupe and a Luxury sedan just because they have the same hp numbers. As far as weight goes, an automatic TSX has 300lbs on the heaviest stock '98 Prelude...that will make a difference in performance and handling.
Old 06-17-2003, 06:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
I wouldLOVE for my mom to buy one.