Jetta drivers the worst? (as seen on CarTalk)

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 08:28 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Jetta drivers the worst? (as seen on CarTalk)

So I was reading up on my CarTalk and I saw this little tidbit about how Jetta drivers are the worst.

http://www.cartalk.com/content/features/jettadrivers/

What do you guys think? Jetta drivers can be pretty bad, but the worst are still the BMW 325 drivers who think they're hot shit. Maybe the all owned Jettas before?
Old 09-07-2004, 08:45 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I don't know. The Jetta drivers are often the 22 year old former sorority girl just graduated college got my job and apartment and am coming home from work got to call the sorority sisters on the cell phone and talk about our day and plans for the evening while I drive. Maybe I'm predisposed to thinking this because I used to work with a 22 year old former sorority girl just graduated college got her job and apartment and is coming home from work got to call the sorority sisters on the cell phone and talk about their day and plans for the evening while she drives. But I think I see alot that fit that stereotype. Anyone familiar with Lincoln Park, not the band (yes I know it's spelled differently), the neighborhood? Someone a couple years ago turned me on the web site www.lptrixie.com, which currently seems to be upgrading, which did an amusing job mocking the typical Lincoln Park resident, anyhow, there used to be stuff on there that the card carrying trixie had to drive a Jetta or something to that extent. But I do like the Jetta in some of its forms.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would agree they're bad, but I would still vote for Maxima driver's as number 1. Think of how many times you were in middle or fast lane going 70-75mph, and then a maxima flys by you at 85mph+, and then you see it weaving in and out of traffic..... or you were minding your own business and suddenly there's this '00-'03 maxima appearing in your rearview mirror, slowing down from 80+, driver with the infamous gangster lean, tailgating you, flashing highbeams.... or cutting you off like the car has a 90% blind spot as this read suggests: (I think it describes them perfectly)

http://www.randyrants.com/archives/000016.asp

Rant: Thursday, March 28, 2002 at 07:42 AM by Randy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I always love how stereotypes are only important when the people that are included in the group don't like it. Ever wonder why there's never been a "Movement" by men because we're all lumped into a "You don't listen to me and why can't you put the seat down"? We don't care. It has no baring on our lives, so why complain? Besides, it's mostly true - how else does a cliche become a cliche in the first place? In most cases there's some truth there.

The preamble had a point, trust me. I've recently formed a new stereotype in my mind's eye that I felt like sharing... Maxima drivers. They all suck. And I mean suck bad. Don't tell me you haven't noticed? I can't tell if there's a 90% blind spot around the car, or if the drivers choose not to look. I haven't figured out if it's the overloading of horsepower in the engine or there's some type of airborne pollen in the car's climate control system that make the drivers drive too fast or just completely recklessly. I don't know. Maybe they screened people in high school gym classes and that's the group the Nissan targets.

What leads me to this? I've seen it. I'll bet you 10 to 1 that if you're on a highway on a rainy night, doing 75, and you get passed in the right light by a blur of headlights doing 90, it was a Maxima. Cut off on an expressway, close enought to almost trading paint? Maxima. Just this weekend, I was in a three lane section of a road and I watch a newer model stop in the left lane and put her right blinker on. I slowed to a stop b/c I know what these people can do but you don't know what they're going to do. This Maxima then cuts across my lane, over to the right most lane and gets off the road, cutting off the guy in the right lane who wasn't smart enough to give the Maxima a wide birth.

They are a menace, in fact. The whole blurb about the stereotype had to be included because God knows I would get spammed if I just came out with an opinion. We aren't allowed to have those anymore, it seems. We are supposed to be this tree hugging, politically correct society now. Well, not in my writing. Anyway, back to the point - the bright side of all these moronic drivers driving Maximas means that they are easily identifiable. If you see one, back away nice and slow, and watch the NASCAR-esque show that will occur if you give them enough road.

Oh, and for the record, I drive German so you have no worries from me - you may consider the rest of this a public service warning...
Old 09-07-2004, 11:57 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmm, Jettas are a good pick, but I used to always associate Civics with some of the biggest assholes on the road :ducks: This is a stereotype I picked up at Rutgers, where most years I lived on the Asian campus. Now that I'm not there anymore, I realize Civic drivers come in all types - especially with the Hybrid out.

On a side note, I saw 5 TSXs on the road today, and for the first time, they were all driven by men. One of them was in his 70s with a brand new Milano Red TSX, I have to admit I was surprised by it.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:50 AM
The Voice of Reason

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Insurance companies should know just about everything (since they get to pay the bills!)

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ictl/ictl.htm

According to the IIHS website, VW Jettas have 108% of the average vehicle's collision claims, and 103% of the injury claims.

Suzuki Esteems have 239% of the average vehicle's injury claims and 168% of the collision claims.

I would try to avoid driving near Suzuki Esteems!