J.D. Power: Styling biggest reason people reject Acura

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010 | 08:09 PM
mmmmmm....

Old 12-24-2010 | 09:50 PM
Pinky all stinky

I know i've said this before, but anyways, the beak isn't the problem. it's the execution.

this is what made the beak look good, what allowed it to go through management:

somehow we ended up with this

it may be just a few subtle differences, but the impact is huge. the silvery shiny plastic that Acura uses in the production TL's grille is not the same as the more subdued, classier looking metal on the concept. And why they decided to let it ride up into the hood rather than being aligned with the headlights, like in the concept, is beyond me.
Old 12-24-2010 | 10:26 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

I honestly have to wonder if the 4G TL is going to wind up being the Edsel of this time period when people look back on it 50 years from now.
Old 12-24-2010 | 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by phile
I know i've said this before, but anyways, the beak isn't the problem. it's the execution.

this is what made the beak look good, what allowed it to go through management:

This concept was from 2006

Last edited by ghttf; 12-24-2010 at 10:36 PM.
Old 12-24-2010 | 11:18 PM
Instructor

The styling is the VERY reason that I did not buy a TL when I bought my Infiniti, and I have owned Hondas and Acuras since 1986. Trust me, Acura blew it big time with this gen of cars.
Old 12-25-2010 | 01:14 PM
My first Avatar....

Originally Posted by MTwEeZi

It's funny, most concepts look cool then they get goofed up in production. This thing when from what is it? to

<----typing on my new imac.
Old 12-25-2010 | 01:50 PM

On one hand, nearly everyone's 2009 sales figures went down the economic toilet, and J.D. Power reports that exterior styling is the number one reason new car shoppers are rejecting the marque, followed closely by Acura's interior styling. On the other hand, the brand's 24-percent increase in sales in 2010 over the previous year has Honda's luxury division outpacing the gains of its rivals.
I switched around a few words but didn't change the content. I still don't get it .... their sales went up while many others went down? Maybe they cranked up the incentives or something? I've heard that several other manufacturers started rolling out discounts too though.

IMO, the beak itself only looks bad on the TL and the RL. But the styling on the RL, ZDX and to a lesser extent, the TL are just crap compared to the competition.
Old 12-25-2010 | 07:34 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by misdeismo
I think the major problem with the 4G TL styling is that it doesn't look like a natural progression from the 3G.
When have any of Acura's car ever shown any natural progression? It would be nice if they evolved like many of their competitors cars. No need for shock and awe style changes each time.
Old 12-25-2010 | 07:42 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

1G to 2G was a pretty natural progression, IMO
Old 12-25-2010 | 08:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Apparently March/April will give the TL some cosmetic changes. I read it in this week's Automotive News..
Old 12-25-2010 | 08:46 PM
Senior Moderator

"That may be a reason that the midcycle change of the TL, arriving in March or April, has had more than a scalpel's worth of rhinoplasty."

Old 12-25-2010 | 08:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by phile
what's scary about that article is that she won an internal contest within Acura with her design. Acura liked her work, which to me looked like she just took great liberty with BMW's 6-Series (concept-wise), Pontiac G6's front lower air dams and threw in some Acura-ness.
You know what? With the exception of the front end, I actually like the way it looks.
Old 12-25-2010 | 09:37 PM
Be kind to us truckers !

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Surprised me too. I love the 3G Tl interior and have driven as an extended loaner (~3 days) a 4G TL and liked it's interior just as much, if not more.
....me too!..and the drive trains are getting more fluidi!!!... it's just damn the exteriors, they have been looking like real "SHIZT" lately ...fire them decision Chief designers/decision makers.... I will be buying BMW's before they start going in the right direction,... thats Sad!
Old 12-25-2010 | 09:46 PM
Be kind to us truckers !

Originally Posted by Shoofin
You know what? With the exception of the front end, I actually like the way it looks.
lay off the kool-aid and stick to your VW's and AUDI's...your better off!
Old 12-25-2010 | 09:49 PM
Be kind to us truckers !

Originally Posted by ncelk
The styling is the VERY reason that I did not buy a TL when I bought my Infiniti, and I have owned Hondas and Acuras since 1986. Trust me, Acura blew it big time with this gen of cars.
you got that right!, thats why they are going to "LOSE" alot of us!
Old 12-25-2010 | 09:52 PM
Be kind to us truckers !

Originally Posted by deantl
I am a strict acura fan but I agree with a lot of people when they say that the new design in their line up is well just ugly. I was rather excited when I came across this article..

"It's no secret that the corporate schnoz adopted in recent years by Acura is, shall we say... controversial. But whether or not it's helping or hurting sales is up for debate. On one hand, the brand's 24-percent increase in sales in 2010 over the previous year has Honda's luxury division outpacing the gains of its rivals. On the other hand, nearly everyone's 2009 sales figures went down the economic toilet, and J.D. Power reports that exterior styling is the number one reason new car shoppers are rejecting the marque, followed closely by Acura's interior styling.

Perhaps tellingly, Acura's two most successful models in sales gains are the MDX and RDX utility vehicles, models competing in burgeoning segments (and the former of which features a somewhat muted faces compared to the rest of the company's lineup). But hope may be on the way, and soon. According to Automotive News, Dave Conant, who owns an Acura store in Mission Viejo, California and has gotten an early look at the next-gen TL, Acura's middle child is getting a major nose job.

And more new models are reportedly on the horizon as well, including hybrids and a likely return to the entry-level compact luxury class. What's more, the automaker has promised dealers that future models will be better differentiated from one another, both styling-wise and in size. All that sounds good, just so long as no giant polished cow-catcher grilles get in the way.

"
by that time, I'll have a BMW M3 in the garage!
Old 12-25-2010 | 09:56 PM
Be kind to us truckers !

I've owned HONDA/ACURA's , since 91'...I hate to say it , but they are making me consider another Marque in the near future!
Old 12-25-2010 | 10:47 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

I think this is a good reason why cars shouldn't start with a concept that's completely impractical and then be dumbed down for production. It's what caused cars like the Aztek.

Why can't cars just be designed as they would be in production form from scratch? No design language to conform to, no concept to dumb down. Just design a car that looks good, and then sell it
Old 12-25-2010 | 11:35 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Originally Posted by Aman
I think this is a good reason why cars shouldn't start with a concept that's completely impractical and then be dumbed down for production. It's what caused cars like the Aztek.

Why can't cars just be designed as they would be in production form from scratch? No design language to conform to, no concept to dumb down. Just design a car that looks good, and then sell it
The Aztek was a great idea, nothing more and it flopped because GM tried to stretch a crossover body onto a minivan frame and engine, hence, ugly fucking car. But the TL was simply poor design that somehow got approved for production. There was no cross-breeding involved...it was just an ugly car that somehow made it past the approval board and onto America's roads, much to the chagrin of those blessed with the gift of sight.

In regards to taking concepts and putting them straight to production, there are problems there, as well. You have to consider the way the car's structure crushes for crash standards and how those panels will fit as well as roll-over and side impact crash resistance. Then there are bumper regulations. In some countries, there are even pedestrian impact requirements that stipulate how tall the hood can be and how it has to be angled in order to gentler to pedestrians should they be dumb enough to stroll out in front of a speeding car. And have you seen some concepts? Trust me...they look cool but they're not something you want to drive everyday. Concept cars are the automotive industry equivalent of taking some 2nd graders off their Ritalin, loading them up with Red Bull and letting them loose with power tools. It's lots of fun but somebody almost always gets hurt.

Long story short? Blame the government.

Last edited by PortlandRL; 12-25-2010 at 11:39 PM.
Old 12-26-2010 | 09:08 AM
Be kind to us truckers !

Originally Posted by Aman

tell HONDA, thats asking too much, to design beautifly aggressive designs!
Old 12-26-2010 | 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by PortlandRL
...But the TL was simply poor design that somehow got approved for production. There was no cross-breeding involved...it was just an ugly car that somehow made it past the approval board and onto America's roads, much to the chagrin of those blessed with the gift of sight....
Old 12-26-2010 | 06:15 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Originally Posted by Costco
Old 12-26-2010 | 06:24 PM
I'm Craig

The real failures of the "power plenum" are the TL, RL, and RDX. The TSX and MDX pull it off alright, imo. I just don't get what Acura is thinking. Clearly their sales are sucking dick, yet they're not doing much of anything about it. Oooooh but they have a new 6 speed transmission! Too bad it should be a 7 or 8 speed by now.
Old 12-27-2010 | 04:48 AM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Originally Posted by cjTL
The real failures of the "power plenum" are the TL, RL, and RDX. The TSX and MDX pull it off alright, imo. I just don't get what Acura is thinking. Clearly their sales are sucking dick, yet they're not doing much of anything about it. Oooooh but they have a new 6 speed transmission! Too bad it should be a 7 or 8 speed by now.

And they will continue to swallow whole until they get with the program:

1. Reliable, up to date transmissions.
2. Styling that will make buyers of Mercedes, Audi, Infiniti, Lexus, and BMW take notice.
3. Listen to their customer base.
4. Build a coupe. Hell, their parent Honda does.

If they do that, they will get better. But they need to surpass Cadillac before they take on the companies above.
Old 12-27-2010 | 07:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Actually, Acura's sales are doing quite well. Despite the fugliness of the cars, they are apparently offering what the non-enthusiast public wants (TSX, FWD RDX, MDX).
Old 12-27-2010 | 11:02 AM
99 TL, 06 E350

Originally Posted by mg7726
good b/c that car's a fucking rolling abomination. next fire the maroons who approved the current grill design; then get rid of the marketing dept too, they suck.
Agreed.
Old 12-27-2010 | 12:41 PM
Pinky all stinky

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Actually, Acura's sales are doing quite well. Despite the fugliness of the cars, they are apparently offering what the non-enthusiast public wants (TSX, FWD RDX, MDX).
That's overall sales, with the MDX and RDX holding up the team, where the power plenum works and crossovers are showing no signs of stopping. In a line up with 6 vehicles, 3 are selling well (MDX,RDX (thanks to a new 2WD option & lower price) TSX, 3 are not (ZDX, TL, RL).

But TL sales individually are down and the RL well that's a given. and the TL used to be on the "selling well" side of Acura's lineup.
Old 12-27-2010 | 02:24 PM
Burning Brakes

I like buttons. Never understood why people make such a fuss over them. These are not rentals car that you drive once. You get used to them and then everything is at your finger tips instead of buried in a menu somewhere. Knobs are OK, too, though. The only thing I fiddle with much in the car is XM station selection--which is handled by a nice big thick ridged knob in my RDX (lol).
Old 12-27-2010 | 03:15 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by The Dougler
I'm shocked about the interior. I would say it's arguably best in class.
Best in class is pretty far fetched compared to what it's really up against. It's a nice interior, but the G37 and audi a4 make it looks really poor.

About time Acura brought back a revived CSX!!!!
Old 12-27-2010 | 04:36 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Originally Posted by 4DGS
Best in class is pretty far fetched compared to what it's really up against. It's a nice interior, but the G37 and audi a4 make it looks really poor.

About time Acura brought back a revived CSX!!!!

Old 12-27-2010 | 05:27 PM
Senior Moderator

....partial to BNSF myself.

Assuming you weren't kidding around, think Honda Civic EX-L with Acura badging.....and I think that would be a mistake (among many others) for Acura stateside.
Old 12-27-2010 | 09:17 PM
Team Owner

After reading that reports, the question is....will Acura listen/read????
Old 12-27-2010 | 09:37 PM
Pinky all stinky

^ LOL have they ever done so in the past? people have been saying rwd, V8, the usual entry fee for a luxury brand and we get the ZDX
Old 12-28-2010 | 01:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 12-28-2010 | 02:01 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by MTwEeZi

I've said it before, that is the ugliest piece of automotive machinery in the history of the automobile. Concept or production.
Old 12-31-2010 | 05:38 PM
Be kind to us truckers !

Yep HONDA is way to conservative on features what the competition have,and updating drivetrains ....but not conservative on screwing up car designs!
Old 12-31-2010 | 05:39 PM
Be kind to us truckers !

Originally Posted by dom
i've said it before, that is the ugliest piece of automotive machinery in the history of the automobile. Concept or production.
exactlt!
Old 12-31-2010 | 05:42 PM
Be kind to us truckers !

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
After reading that reports, the question is....will Acura listen/read????
Most likely not!
Old 01-02-2011 | 08:26 AM
Pro

The Aztek was a great idea, nothing more and it flopped because GM tried to stretch a crossover body onto a minivan frame and engine, hence, ugly fucking car. But the TL was simply poor design that somehow got approved for production. There was no cross-breeding involved...it was just an ugly car that somehow made it past the approval board and onto America's roads, much to the chagrin of those blessed with the gift of sight.

In regards to taking concepts and putting them straight to production, there are problems there, as well. You have to consider the way the car's structure crushes for crash standards and how those panels will fit as well as roll-over and side impact crash resistance. Then there are bumper regulations. In some countries, there are even pedestrian impact requirements that stipulate how tall the hood can be and how it has to be angled in order to gentler to pedestrians should they be dumb enough to stroll out in front of a speeding car. And have you seen some concepts? Trust me...they look cool but they're not something you want to drive everyday. Concept cars are the automotive industry equivalent of taking some 2nd graders off their Ritalin, loading them up with Red Bull and letting them loose with power tools. It's lots of fun but somebody almost always gets hurt.

Long story short? Blame the government.
Ding ding we have a winner!
Old 01-02-2011 | 12:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Acura is lucky that the MDX and RDX have been selling so well. The new designed TL has been disappointing compared to the 3G. The RL has been a disaster. The TSX just a competent seller.

The beak needs to be significantly modified. I hope they get rid of it all together for the next generation. It's been "controversial" at best.

Quick Reply: J.D. Power: Styling biggest reason people reject Acura