Intersting read on Infiniti

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 01:00 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Intersting read on Infiniti

Had to cut and paste. It's one of those subscription sites, but through some quirk in google, you can access it without a password. But I did it anyway in case it doesn't allow you get through later.

Infiniti evolves into a player in the luxury market

Tony Whitney
Vancouver Sun

Friday, November 04, 2005

It doesn't seem like 15 years since Nissan launched the very first product from its Infiniti division. Infiniti was formed as an upscale vehicle segment of Nissan, just as Acura and Lexus service the premium market for Honda and Toyota respectively.

Initially, the three luxury divisions were not without their critics, some of whom were quite bluntly saying that one or two of the trio would never make it. In time, they've been proven wrong and all three divisions seem to be flourishing -- though Infiniti did struggle initially.

Clearly, the move worked out well for Infiniti, Acura and Lexus. It was no easy task launching a brand new nameplate on an unsuspecting public. After all, some automakers have challenges marketing even long-lived brands and more than a couple have fallen by the wayside in recent years. But in the case of Infiniti, Acura and Lexus, perseverance paid off and few people nowadays query their reason for being. All three have established solid reputations among upscale buyers and a combination of product quality and service excellence has ensured that any doubts about their future have long been laid aside.

Interestingly. Mazda once contemplated the idea of a spin-off luxury brand and even put out press releases complete with logos and conceptualizations of dramatic-looking vehicles. Ultimately, the project was shelved and Mazda went on to create all kinds of vehicles that many would consider "luxurious" without a special badge to distinguish them.

Of course, the reason the Japanese "Big Three" went to luxury nameplates was fairly simple. The Japanese auto industry -- as far as North America goes -- was always focused on quality and durability at a reasonable price. Even though many Japanese automakers started producing some very lavishly equipped vehicles and quality got even better, they believed that the market basically looked at nameplates like Toyota, Nissan and Honda with economy in mind, rather than luxury. As a result, the three aforementioned premium brands were born.

In the case of Honda and Nissan, Acura and Infiniti respectively were aimed solely at the North American market while Lexus was offered in several countries around the world. Often, products from the luxury trio have only been marketed in North America and in some cases, the same car we get here has appeared in other markets with the maker's "original" nameplate. For example, Acura NSX sports cars were always Honda NSXs in Europe. But success in North America sometimes changes automaker attitudes to international sales, as we'll see later.

Back in 1990, I remember driving an early production Infiniti Q45 in Japan just before the vehicle was launched and being amazed by its refinement, V-8 power and luxurious appointments. Here at last was a large Japanese sedan to rival the products of Mercedes-Benz, Audi, BMW, Cadillac and Lincoln. I seem to remember that the only criticism most auto scribes were able to come up with was the Q45's big nose-mounted metal badge which looked, to some eyes, like a rodeo cowboy's belt buckle. The badge was later replaced with something a little more subtle and the logo has now earned the respect of a very discerning market.

At the start, Infiniti offered just two products -- the Q45 and a small sports sedan, the G20 -- which was based on an existing Nissan product and preened to be positioned in the entry-level luxury segment. As time went by, the range grew as SUVs of various sizes and more sedans and coupes were added.

Infiniti was perhaps a little slower than Lexus and Acura in gaining public acceptance and it was the QX4 mid-sized SUV that played a role in giving the company its first major market boost. Since then, Infiniti products have won wide critical acclaim, have earned all kinds of "best of" awards and are now common sights on our streets.

Infiniti started with just 12 dealers across Canada and some of them were pretty bold to take on an unknown nameplate -- even if it did have the might of Nissan behind it. Few can be regretting the move now, as the division has evolved into something of a world leader in automotive design and execution -- widely admired for its products whether they be sedans, coupes or SUVs.

- - -

Tony Whitney is an award-winning auto journalist and host of the popular TV show Driver's Seat. He writes here on behalf of the The New Car Dealers Association of BC. He can be reached via e-mail at awhitney@telus.net

© The Vancouver Sun 2005
http://www.canada.com/vancouver/vanc...a-f0835c30ccee
Old 11-04-2005, 02:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
VERY interesting article. IMHO, Infiniti didnt hit it BIG until a couple of years ago....mainly when the G35 hit the scene, with great follow up products like the FX and M (mainly 2G M).
But up until that point (and for the better part of a decade), it was pretty much an also ran in the entry level luxury game and had nowhere near the name the at Acura and Lexus had. Prior to the 2k3 model year, the only noteable models were the 1G Q45, I30/35 and M30 <--- the 1st Infiniti coupe and the only Infiniti to ever offer a convertable.

With the Mazda reference, I recall the Amati name they proposed way back when. IMO, Mazda was wise to let that go and incorporate the Amati Millenia into the regular Mazda brand; turns out the Millenia was the only car (exc. FD3S) drawing people to Mazda showrooms up until recently.

Good read.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:21 PM
Yes it is!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haha, I always thought the badge on the 1st gen Q45 was pretty cool.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:52 PM
hail to the victors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1st gen q45>current q45
Old 11-04-2005, 05:25 PM
Pinky all stinky

Originally Posted by F23A4
VERY interesting article. IMHO, Infiniti didnt hit it BIG until a couple of years ago....mainly when the G35 hit the scene, with great follow up products like the FX and M (mainly 2G M).
But up until that point (and for the better part of a decade), it was pretty much an also ran in the entry level luxury game and had nowhere near the name the at Acura and Lexus had. Prior to the 2k3 model year, the only noteable models were the 1G Q45, I30/35 and M30 <--- the 1st Infiniti coupe and the only Infiniti to ever offer a convertable.

With the Mazda reference, I recall the Amati name they proposed way back when. IMO, Mazda was wise to let that go and incorporate the Amati Millenia into the regular Mazda brand; turns out the Millenia was the only car (exc. FD3S) drawing people to Mazda showrooms up until recently.

Good read.
I don't know what the article was talking about when it said Infiniti hit it big with the Q45 SUV. Then again, it's a Canadian article so maybe it's different up there. But down here, it was definitely the G35 and newer Infinitis that upped the ante.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:26 PM
Pinky all stinky

Originally Posted by Deity711
Haha, I always thought the badge on the 1st gen Q45 was pretty cool.
I had to google for the 1st gen Q45 to see what they were talking about. I never noticed the badge, or at least thought it to be anything unusual, even for its time.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:28 PM
Pinky all stinky

Originally Posted by chungkopi
1st gen q45>current q45
Nah, i like the current one. Headlights are amazing. interior could be more luxurious, though.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:38 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4

Good read.
That's right. Amati was gonna' be Mazda's version of Acura/Lexus/Infiniti. My dad had a Millenia S and that was a NICE car. Smooth as silk and the power was adequate. The bad part is when he hit somewhere around 125,000 miles, the supercharger went on him and smoke would flood out of the tailpipe. He gave it to my uncle who still has it at 200,000 miles and it's still going strong!!

In terms of Infiniti, it was never really a big seller until the G35, like said. However, Acura was in the same boat and started to gain some ground when the 2nd Gen TL/CL came out, as well as the MDX. Since then, Acura and Infiniti seem to be right in the same general area. Lexus, well it's just a status symbol but I can't not admit that they are nice, classy cars.

Good Article!!
Old 11-04-2005, 09:13 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
1st gen q45>current q45

having owned both my vote goes with the 1st gen. granted the new one has all the bells and whistles that come with new cars, the power of the first gen was much better....the new infiniti has some hesitation when you floor it...dealer says thats the way its programed.

we have owned 3 first gen infiniti's and after the 2004 is retired it will not be replaced by another.
Old 11-05-2005, 05:11 PM
Pro

Infiniti has gone a long way since the early 90's. Before the G35, i viewed acura and lexus as a more prestige brand than infiniti, but i dont anymore. Lexus still has a more prestigious name, but i honestly think the infiniti name has surpassed acura. Infiniti has done a great job establishing their name in so little time. They have great customer service comparable to lexus, and have reliable vehicles. They are always compared to the likes of MB, BMW, and Lexus. I only see better things for infiniti as they expand worldwide and release the GT-R. All they need to do now is redesign the Q45 which i believe will look/perform great when it does come out
Old 11-05-2005, 05:41 PM
hail to the victors

current gen Q45=weakest link .
Old 11-05-2005, 07:08 PM
Rooting for Acura

Received 1,765 Likes on 804 Posts
Good find.

The Mazda thing is news to me. I think they should of went for it. The Millenia is an beautiful car. I have no idea why they discontinued it. The Mazda 6? Booorrriingg.

Anywho, Acura, Infiniti and Lexus are all marketing schemes that prove that we (Americans) like designer brands. I mean, what percentage of vehicles from these product lines would not be sold if they were Honda, Nissan or Toyota?

We still fall for this very blatant marketing strategy. Example: Look at the new Toyota Avalon. OMG this thing is nice. I bet some people would rather have the more expensive ES over it. Case 2: The Honda Pilot, another very nice vehicle that will not be test driven by some because it is not an Acura MDX (but it is). There are more examples, but you get the point.

Overall I like the 3 "designer" brands. At least we know that Japan is in touch with it's market. I just wish that they would make more exclusive vehicles for their exclusive brand. Leave that to American car manufacturers who will rebadge anything to sell more vehicles. To me rebadging and different sheet metal isn't worth the extra coin,...well unless you have to have a designer badge on your vehicle.
Old 11-05-2005, 07:54 PM
Burning Brakes

current gen Q45=weakest link .
considering the fact that its the only one left that isn't either new in the lineup or redesigned
Old 11-05-2005, 08:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by knight rider
Good find.

The Mazda thing is news to me. I think they should of went for it. The Millenia is an beautiful car. I have no idea why they discontinued it. The Mazda 6? Booorrriingg.
IIRC, the Asian markets went sort of soft at that time so Mazda dumped its plans for the Amati. (I sort of recall rumblings of an Amati V12 sedan as well. ) And , the Millenia was a terrific car for its time but only the 'S' model had some decent performance.
Old 11-05-2005, 08:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by MaximaPower
considering the fact that its the only one left that isn't either new in the lineup or redesigned

With the exception of the B15 Sentra, it's the only Nissan left that's a 'throwback' to the previous generation of Nissan/Infiniti.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:35 AM
Race Director

Wish Infiniti would bring the G20 back! They don't have a car to compete with the TSX or RSX, j/k
Old 11-06-2005, 11:30 AM
how handsome I am

great little article. good find
Old 11-06-2005, 02:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
Wish Infiniti would bring the G20 back! They don't have a car to compete with the TSX or RSX, j/k