Installing aftermarket car alarm??

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 09:07 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing aftermarket car alarm??

I am wondering how hard is it to install an aftermarket car alarm?

I am needing to put one into my old 95 Nissan Pathfinder.

The alarm I want is just a basic one w/ shock sensor and door lock / unlock and maybe start disable.

I do-not care about flashing parking lights or paging system.

I know how to install car audio equip but never installed a car alarm.

Any idea all? Thanks
Old 02-21-2008, 10:23 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
if you know how to read a wiring diagram it's not too bad, and knowing how to install audio equipment helps in running all the nessessary wiring.

most alarms will come w/ a installation manual telling you where to attach certain wires. The most important part is to get a very detailed wiring description for your specific model that will tell you where exactly to find certain wires and what color they will be (door pin, pos/neg door lock, etc.).

I've only done one, but it was a 2-way system w/ all the bells and whistles. Took quite a while since it was my first time, and I took the time to hide every single wire I ran. It got to the point where I'm not sure I would take the time to do it again, but at least I know I can, and I know it was done right.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
if you have a volt meter, proper diagrams, and patience you can definitely do it with some audio knowledge... especailly since you are saying that you only need a very basic alarm... and if you don't plan on installing the ignition into the alarm or the lights notification, it is just basically power, ground, shock sensor and tapping your power locks... but in all honesty the lights is one more wire (which is usually near your lock/unlock wire and the ignition is 4 wires so since you are already under your dash you may as well put it in...

check out the12volt.com

they have great info there...