Input from the VW guys...

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 08:08 PM
is out, so the

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Input from the VW guys...

I've been looking around for a new, well used but new to me, car for a while. I haven't found anything that just suited me perfectly, but I'm extremely picky.

Today I stumbled upon a 2008 Volkswagen Jetta 2.0T DSG Wolfsburg Editon. It is black with grey interior. Leather, 6CD/AUX/Sat radio, heated seats, sunroof, the works. Doesn't have navigation or HID headlights.

Took it for a quick spin and was very impressed. The 2.0T engine wasn't as quick as I thought it was going to be. I did find it pretty impressive for a four cylinder. The thing that impressed me the most was the DSG. Simply amazing. The shifts are like lightening! I was cruising in traffic and even under light throttle it was just like bam, bam, bam. Super fast. Manual mode was just as good. Pull the trigger back and it shifted instantly. The only drawback I saw to it was the faint hesitation when you get the car moving in 1st. The ride was smooth and road noise was minimal.

As a whole, I liked the car alot. I loved the interior and the driving experience. However, the exterior leaves alot to be desired for me. I don't like the chrome piece in front and I don't like the bunny-like headlights. I do think painting the chrome headlight housings black and blacking out the chrome piece in front would look nice. Maybe paint the red line you see on some of the other VWs around the grille. The back was fine, although it did need a spoiler. It already had nice 17" optional VW wheels. I would prefer the GTI's 18's though...

Anyways, I liked the car and it seems to fit the bill. The only thing I'm worried about is the reliability factor. Everyone is telling me to avoid VWs. I'm also worried about the DSG transmission. Are those units reliable? Do you have to replace the clutch like in a regular manual?

BTW, it had 33,000 miles on it and the dealership was asking $14,900. Price is kinda high, I thought...

/Discuss.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:39 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any pics?
Old 03-13-2010, 01:23 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
I have the 2.5L five cylinder and I think that the 177lb-ft of torque is pretty decent for the Jetta. I can understand the desire for the 2.0T but if you look at VW reliability for the Golf/Rabbit/Jettas the 2.0T is far less reliable.

My advice would be to drive a TDI and a 2.5 and see if either of those are at all interesting to you. If not, get a 2.0T and a 6-speed manual.

As far as some of the things you don't like, don't sweat that. There are a ton of options for the front end to help fix it. I plan on doing some of it myself. VWVortex is a great resource for ideas.
Old 03-13-2010, 05:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I wouldn't worry about Nav or HIDs since you can do a HID conversion and get a portable Nav for way less than the dealership would charge. As for reliability, it's a VW what more do you need to know? It's a crapshoot. I personally love VW's but would never buy one.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Originally Posted by charliemike
I have the 2.5L five cylinder and I think that the 177lb-ft of torque is pretty decent for the Jetta. I can understand the desire for the 2.0T but if you look at VW reliability for the Golf/Rabbit/Jettas the 2.0T is far less reliable.

My advice would be to drive a TDI and a 2.5 and see if either of those are at all interesting to you. If not, get a 2.0T and a 6-speed manual.

As far as some of the things you don't like, don't sweat that. There are a ton of options for the front end to help fix it. I plan on doing some of it myself. VWVortex is a great resource for ideas.
I agree to disagree...The 2.0T is just as reliable as the 2.5. Better engine too, IMO..

Funny thing about the DSG that I've heard from owners of the tranny, most love it at first, but grow to hate it because of it being too "lurchy"

Also, the OP can check out www.golfmkv.com too. Not as big (or as confusing) as vortex, but it's a decent site too.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:50 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From my very limited experience so far, the DSG is a bit lurchy at low speeds, but I think you can learn to adjust your driving style a bit to compensate. It won't ever be as smooth as a traditional automatic during stop and go, but I think it more than makes up for it during driving.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:30 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by Shoofin
I agree to disagree...The 2.0T is just as reliable as the 2.5. Better engine too, IMO..

Funny thing about the DSG that I've heard from owners of the tranny, most love it at first, but grow to hate it because of it being too "lurchy"

Also, the OP can check out www.golfmkv.com too. Not as big (or as confusing) as vortex, but it's a decent site too.
I don't know why the 2.0T gets the hate other than the FSI carbon buildup issue. But generally speaking, that's what I read when doing research.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts
I had an 06 2.5l Jetta for a year. It was a good car. Depreciation sucked on it.

Until the transmission gave out. Lifetime fluid, yeah right. Other than that, it was a pretty reliable car.

Just keep up with maintenance and it will be fine.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:34 PM
Mazda3 and Honda Civic in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All I know is that we just bought a new Tiguan for the wifey and now I am wanting a GTI like crazy but thats not gonna happen.

2.0T is super nice!