Infiniti G35 Sport Coupe, lookin better and better....

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2002, 01:52 PM
At least it's not Jersey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Infiniti G35 Sport Coupe, lookin better and better....

Every time I look at this car and read the specs I think I want it. Rear wheel drive, 280hp, 52/48 balance.... I'm torn or beginning to be. I need to test drive it for a few hours to know for sure.

I love the ride and creature comforts the CL has plus the room but this car is not to far from ours and the ride is plenty sporty!

The down side is it is a Nissan and the dealers and service centers in my area aren't great or not as good as Acura. Well, the Nissan ones are not so maybe I can expect better from the Infiniti side. Just another thing to consider.

Old 10-22-2002, 01:57 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Butt is ugly ... maybe.. but front kick ass
Old 10-22-2002, 02:02 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Has official pricing been released???
Old 10-22-2002, 02:05 PM
Stealthy A-CL Member

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by Scrib
Has official pricing been released???
Yup Yup.

G35 Coupe -- 3.5L DOHC V6 5-speed auto w/ manual shift -- $29,100

G35 Coupe Leather -- 3.5L DOHC V6 5-speed auto w/ manual shift -- $31,400

G35 Coupe Leather 6MT -- 3.5L DOHC V6 6-speed manual -- $32,050

Options:

Premium Package -- $2,250

Navigation Package -- $2,000

Sunroof -- $1,000

Bose(R) Audio System -- $900

Aero Package -- $550

Performance Tire and Wheel Package -- $600

Satellite Radio (XM or Sirius service) -- $400

Destination and Handling -- $545
Old 10-22-2002, 02:13 PM
Team Owner

Still looks ugly to me.
I know, I know you didn’t ask me…….

Shawn S
Old 10-22-2002, 02:13 PM
Banned

why is the manual 6 speed more expensive??? arent manual trannies always cheaper to build and cheaper on cars??? take a look at most other cars, the auto tranny is always the UP charge, not the manual....sounds like a rip off
Old 10-22-2002, 02:17 PM
Banned

on second glance, that car is a TOTAL rip off....look at those options, for thelove of god, what a rip off....not to mention the dick sucking dealerships are going to do their typical "market adjustment" give me a break, what a rip off we get all of those options included for under 32k
Old 10-22-2002, 02:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

I love the CL...but it looks stuffy. It looks like an uptight sedan with two doors. The G35 c looks like a sports car. The styling may not be everyone's cup of tea but it does invoke more excitement.

Like C&D said about the CL a couple months ago "Styling by Sears" On looks alone, I would throw my $32K at Infinity...but the world is not built on looks alone. So it's with a sigh that I give the nod to the CL.
Old 10-22-2002, 03:17 PM
Banned

Originally posted by AcuraFan

On looks alone, I would throw my $32K at Infinity...but the world is not built on looks alone. So it's with a sigh that I give the nod to the CL.

ok you go ahead and throw 32k at an infinity dealer for this car and they will laugh in your face.....they will most certainly be tacking on probaly about a 10% "market price adjustment" because you know this car is going to be a hot commodity much like the 350Z....an in addition to that, if you want a decent stereo, sunroof, navi, "premium" package, you are looking at another 5k-6k ..what was that? you wanted the body kit too?? and the wheel/tire upgrade?? sure no problem, for another 1500 bucks!! so when all is said and done, for a fully loaded G35 coupe, you will AT BEST be spending around 39k but with a market adjustment from the greddy asshole dealerships, youre looking at well into the low 40's....go ahead, throw 32k at them...they will gladly direct you to your local NISSAN dealer and reccomend you check out the Maxima or Altima
Old 10-22-2002, 03:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Oh, sorry...because I was talking hypothetical situations here, I went with the list prices from IntegraVT. Geez. Like I said, the CL still edged out the G35c in my book.
Old 10-22-2002, 03:31 PM
Rod
Drifting

They're not going to sell as much as the 350Z so I doubt dealers will be able to charge much of a markup on them. Maybe at first, but that will probably die down real soon. I do think the car is overpriced, especially after driving the sedan. The interior sucked, I mean I didn't like the placement of controls and the quality seemed very cheap. For what you're paying for a fully loaded model I'd expect a much nicer interior.
Old 10-22-2002, 03:32 PM
Banned

Originally posted by AcuraFan
Oh, sorry...because I was talking hypothetical situations here, I went with the list prices from IntegraVT. Geez. Like I said, the CL still edged out the G35c in my book.
dude, i didnt mean to give you the impression i was attacking your statement, i was just making a point that the G35 is going to be very expensive and well into the category of being a rip-off. that car, fully loaded, should be at about 34k, not 40k +...i mean, its an infiniti, we arent talking about a benz or a BMW or something of that calibur..as far as im concerned, no infiniti is better than any acura. for years, infiniti has been the bastard stepchild of the japanese-luxo segment, look at the infinities of the mid 90's..they look exactly like the nissans they emulate with a few more bells and whistles....i just hate the arrogance of infiniti with these unthinkable prices on their options, i mean at the VERY LEAST, that G35 should come stock with the leather, moonroof, and bose stereo...that should be a FREEBIE....as it is, its such a rip off....im going to be interested in watching the resale value on these puppies....it will probably drop like a rock within a year of introduction, after the novelty wears off.

personally i like the G35...i really do, i think its stylish and powerful and a great package, but at that price, forget it, not a cold chance in hell would i buy it.

i think we are spoiled over here with our CL-S!!! all our standard features for the price we paid???! what can compare with that?? ask anyone to come up with a better bang-for-the-buck car than the CL-S and they will be empty handed.
Old 10-22-2002, 03:37 PM
At least it's not Jersey

I don't mind the extra cost cuz I'm bored somewhat w/ it CL...

Pls don't flame for this but I'm actually considering leasing my next car. I know it's the worst thing financially to do but I always have had a car payment because I always want something new after 2-3 years. I've never leased because I was told it's the worst thing to do when buying a car but considering my car habits it doesn't sound all that bad.

I don't modify the cars much, I'd get extra mileage up front, and my credit's good enough where I could get a lease with little or nothing down. So, the payments on this car in a lease would be near what I'm paying on my loan. plus I don't have to deal w/ selling the car to get the most value vs. the trade in. I just start a new lease.
Old 10-22-2002, 03:40 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Aero Package -- $550

that a spolier? and some other things?
Old 10-22-2002, 03:43 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
$37895 for the options I'd want...

At that pont, I'd rather spend another 3K and get a time-tested car (BMW 330Ci) and have better resale value.
Old 10-22-2002, 03:49 PM
Revving at 9K...

The car looks awsome!! From what I was told, it is basically a Nissan Skyline without the Turbo/Intercooler.. I would take one if the price ever drop to around 32K.
Old 10-22-2002, 04:34 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by jimcol711
ok you go ahead and throw 32k at an infinity dealer for this car and they will laugh in your face.....they will most certainly be tacking on probaly about a 10% "market price adjustment" because you know this car is going to be a hot commodity much like the 350Z....an in addition to that, if you want a decent stereo, sunroof, navi, "premium" package, you are looking at another 5k-6k ..what was that? you wanted the body kit too?? and the wheel/tire upgrade?? sure no problem, for another 1500 bucks!! so when all is said and done, for a fully loaded G35 coupe, you will AT BEST be spending around 39k but with a market adjustment from the greddy asshole dealerships, youre looking at well into the low 40's....go ahead, throw 32k at them...they will gladly direct you to your local NISSAN dealer and reccomend you check out the Maxima or Altima
When I talked to the Infiniti dealer here, there was no markup. Selling AT MSRP.

In addition, 0-60 same as us
Handling 0.91G's? Much better than us. Plus rwd.

If they had one, I would have bought one.
Old 10-22-2002, 05:12 PM

G35c is a looker, though there is still hardly any coupe competiton
3-series
CL
now G35

Infiniti service is GREAT, but who wants to see them? G35 has recalls and quality issues already. I also can't get over the interior. It'll be a great car for some people, not me though.
Old 10-22-2002, 05:12 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No matter how fast it is, i still don't like the looks. I saw it at the NY Auto Show and I thought it looked ok but I still like the looks of the CL better.

Either way i'll definately test drive that sucker when it hits showrooms.
Old 10-22-2002, 05:51 PM
Do it! U Only Live Once!

It's not a good value for the dollar as compared to the Acura. Hmmmmmmmmm, it looks like something out of a comic book.
Old 10-22-2002, 06:28 PM
Suzuka Master

I like the look of the G35c, and I even went as far as pre-ordering a model (they offered it to me at MSRP), but I decided to cancel the order due to financial reasons. I am glad I cancelled the order, as it doesn't offer anything more than my CL and is more $$ to boot.
I just started getting bored with my CL, but the cool weather re-ignited my interest. CL is here to stay for a LONG time now
Old 10-22-2002, 07:17 PM
Black is a ***** to Clean

Looks like a phuckin RSX from the rear
Old 11-09-2002, 04:38 AM
10th Gear

First of all, let's clear up some things on the G35 coupe:

1. The car is being sold almost everywhere at MSRP, not over.
2. They are only making 12-15,000 cars a year, half the amount of 350Z's that will be sold.
3. The Premium package includes the Bose radio so the total prices are cheaper than you think. Fully maxed out, it comes to 37K, no higher. That is still almost 7K less than an equivalently equipped BMW 330Ci if you do the math.
4. The 0-60 time has been tested so far very close to the CL BUT the car mags have come clean and admitted that the cars they tested only had the 260hp engine. Expect future car tests to show 0-60 in the high 5's with 6 speed. The handling is much better at .91G which is EXOTIC car territory and it has Brembo brakes.
5. The 6 speed is more money because it comes standard with the performance and wheel package (18" tires, hot 18" wheels, and limited slip differential) PLUS Brembo racing brakes. Brembos are costly. The optional wheel package for the automatic coupes come with everything but Brembos, which are are only for the manuals.

A little investigation would have uncovered all of these facts instead of all the blatant mistruths seen so far here.
Old 11-09-2002, 06:49 AM
Pro

That car has a lot more style than our boring as hell CL's. I tried to get my wife to wait for one of these but she wanted the CL NOW. Oh well. I won't be trading in for the next 10 years. I've already taken a beating on this CL's value.
Old 11-09-2002, 10:22 AM
Safety Car

This is an excellent looking coupe. Handling and speed on par if not better than the 330ci. As far as the price of options provided in the first thread, it seems something is a bit off since a fully loaded g35c will come to 40k which does not make sense.
I agree with slingshot, the car will prolly be in the 37k range fully loaded.
Also, people that want 350z will not be looking to buy this coupe so this is direct competion to those people looking at the 330ci. Infinity hopes to steal some buyers away from BMW with this beatiful coupe.
Old 11-09-2002, 10:58 AM
Stealthy A-CL Member

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by BigPimp
This is an excellent looking coupe. Handling and speed on par if not better than the 330ci. As far as the price of options provided in the first thread, it seems something is a bit off since a fully loaded g35c will come to 40k which does not make sense.
The prices listed earlier are straight from the PR site. However the package contents do include some of the ala carte options.. (eg The Premium Package contains the Sunroof and Bose Audio System.) So optioned to the hilt MSRP is ~$38.5k.

Here's the official link, it might make more sense: Infiniti G35 Sport Coupe Pricing
Old 11-09-2002, 12:24 PM
has Gloryhole Girls in

i went and drove an auto yesterday and ill tell ya its really quik!!

as far as getting one, i can get a fully loaded 6spd manual by dec 3rd w 600 off msrp.......decisions decisions
Old 11-09-2002, 12:56 PM
Blown LS6!!

The dealer near me is selling at MSRP. I'd definitely wait on buying one - the rush to purchase one will slow and they'll start dealing...always happens (unless you're at BMW/MB).

One thing to consider: Ask the dealership if they still warrantee the car if you mod it. The dealer by me said NO, NO, NO!! I then abruptly ended my shopping at that dealer. Besides, isn't the car's engine already fully tweaked in stock form (exhaust, etc)? Isn't that how they upped the HP numbers from the 4-door?? Not sure how much more HP bolt-on's could get ya. I'm no mechanic though.
Old 11-09-2002, 02:32 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by Seattle Cl-S
The dealer near me is selling at MSRP. I'd definitely wait on buying one - the rush to purchase one will slow and they'll start dealing...always happens (unless you're at BMW/MB).

One thing to consider: Ask the dealership if they still warrantee the car if you mod it. The dealer by me said NO, NO, NO!! I then abruptly ended my shopping at that dealer. Besides, isn't the car's engine already fully tweaked in stock form (exhaust, etc)? Isn't that how they upped the HP numbers from the 4-door?? Not sure how much more HP bolt-on's could get ya. I'm no mechanic though.
I dont think there are very many dealerships that will tell you YES YES YES to modding and covering under warranty. I dont think its a way to judge a deal.

As far as price goes, I actually meant exactly what IntegraVT said. meaning that certain package includes certain things like in his example the Premium includes the sunroff and bose. So 38k sounds about right. I am sure they will negotiate.
Old 11-09-2002, 03:11 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Seattle Cl-S

Actually, the engine can probably be tuned to slightly over 300 but its a matter of space under the coupe. I don't think many mods will fit because everything is jam packed in there. Its basically a 350Z and I question whether it actually has any horsepower differences between it and the Z. Probably just an ECU thing.
Old 11-09-2002, 03:33 PM
Suzuka Master

G35 coupe

PROs
RWD

CONs
not roomy
cheap interior
ugly exterior

just go get yourself a cl-s

sidemarker
Old 11-09-2002, 06:53 PM
Rx Master

Phuck what that guy just said, the G35 is so elegantly designed that i havent drolled over a car for as long as i have been with this car since the 93 supra. Id still love to get one of those but shit, if i can get a 280 hp infiniti for 35 grand, and have all the same stuff i had with my cl-s, barring the tranny problems, battery replacement, 4 tires blown, and many leaks on my 2nd tranny, i would replace my acura in a heartbeat. I wish i could trade now, but i still have till next august on my lease. I will be goin to infiniti early though and see if a deal can be worked out, cause i am just not havin fun in my cl-s anymore.
wg
Old 11-09-2002, 06:55 PM
10th Gear

More G35 Advantages

Get yourself a CL-S? And take a chance on the automatic tranny dying? Maybe a six speed instead. No way I'd go near an auto even with the new warranty.

More G35 Pros:
New, exciting styling that stands out from anything else out there
Exotic car handling (.91G)
Super brakes
Great seats that are even more sculptured than the CL-S
Performance as good or better than CL-S after you add several thousand dollars of CL-S add-ons (better tires, new wheels, headers, etc etc)
Probably higher resale value since no auto tranny design problems

CL-S with the addons many people here have performs great but then is pretty close to the price of the G35 coupe without any mods. NISMO will have addons soon enough (possibly a supercharger that is already for the 350Z). More exciting things to come.
Old 11-09-2002, 07:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
G35 is exciting cuz its NEW. I love the car myself, but like i have said 1000 times before, i just cant get over how ugly the interior is. Way too cheap looking. But the exterior is sooooooooo HOTTTTT

Old 11-09-2002, 07:06 PM
10th Gear

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Scrib
$37895 for the options I'd want...

At that pont, I'd rather spend another 3K and get a time-tested car (BMW 330Ci) and have better resale value.
[/QUOTE

Scrib,
I just went to the BMW website and built a 330ci. With the following options the 330 came out to $44K. That comes out to $6K more than the fully loaded G36 coupe not $3K. Big difference.
A NAV'ed CL-S with the common aftermarket things most people here get to come close to the G35 performance prices out to mid 30's.

Leather seats
Premium Package
Auto Trans
Heated seats
Xenon headlights
Nav system
Old 11-09-2002, 07:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Scrib,
I just went to the BMW website and built a 330ci. With the following options the 330 came out to $44K. That comes out to $6K more than the fully loaded G36 coupe not $3K. Big difference.
A NAV'ed CL-S with the common aftermarket things most people here get to come close to the G35 performance prices out to mid 30's.

Leather seats
Premium Package
Auto Trans
Heated seats
Xenon headlights
Nav system [/B]

I got mine for $41,300
MRSP $42,800

My options....

Premium package (comes with leather seats)
Sport package
Cold weather package
Bi-xenon headlights
Navi system

The sad part is for 2003.. they jacked up the price about $600 more :o
Old 11-09-2002, 10:32 PM
10th Gear

Right now on the BMW webpage, the below options total to MSRP $43,470 for a 2003 car (quite a bit more than a G35C or CL-S). You have to pick leather before choosing Premium package. Premium gives you Montana leather, a better leather. But you can't choose Premium from the webpage until you choose Leather on the previous page which is itself an expensive option over the leatherette. But nice to hear you got 1500 off. That's a large amount off from a BMW.

Originally posted by Crazy Sellout
I got mine for $41,300
MRSP $42,800

My options....

Premium package (comes with leather seats)
Sport package
Cold weather package
Bi-xenon headlights
Navi system

The sad part is for 2003.. they jacked up the price about $600 more :o
Old 11-09-2002, 11:17 PM
Moderator Alumnus

My 2 cents

I have a G35 Sedan now, but had a 2001 CLS ... in addition to many other Acura/Hondas...

Infiniti has -
- Best in class handling, braking
- Respectable acceleration 5.8-6.2 range
- More aggresive exterior styling
- Better leather (subjective maybe)
- Tires/wheels/suspension
Acura has -
- MUCH better interior ergonomics ... trust me
- Better resales (historically yes, but the G35 is rumored to be winning MT car of the year ... so this may be changing for Infiniti soon - we'll see. Also - this is really more of a TLS vs G35S comparison as coupes always get hosed on resale )
- Price point is better
- Manumatic is better

Those are my thoughts for what they are worth, but I think we are in the middle of an Infiniti and Acura leapfrog game, so for 2004-2005 look for Acura to respond ... they will.

By the way - I love my G35S ... it was about the only thing that would pull me away from my long term Honda/Acura allegiance
Old 11-09-2002, 11:28 PM
A-CL Zen Buddha Master

I wanted it too when I first saw the specs and pictures but then I saw it in person at the Dallas autoshow. Did not look NEARLY as good in person. Its too long and stock wheels are in-set. And the interior is really cheap looking. I was disappoined but glad to have my CLS.

---------------------
2002 Satin Sliver CLS w/NAV
Old 11-10-2002, 10:41 AM
10th Gear

The car you saw at the Dallas Autoshow was a preproduction model. Everyone who saw preproduction models and now are seeing the production models are saying the interior has been improved with better materials.

Quick Reply: Infiniti G35 Sport Coupe, lookin better and better....