Is Infiniti > Acura?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 05:53 AM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think you can go wrong with either, both companies make great cars that just happen to be similarly priced. Based on the average consumer I see driving TL's and G35's, greater then half are woman with cell phone's glued to the side of there head, 25% are gray haired guys just living up the golden years and that remaining small group are the 20-35 year old male with an interest in cars. What's moving the largest number of both of these cars is marketing and brand recognition, not which car is "better". The point of this, is with who I see driving these cars, everyone is winning, they are both great cars for who seems to be purchasing a large percentage of them, people who don't care about 0-60 times.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sbuswell
You mean Toyota must make the best cars in the world then as they overtook GM in overall sales last year. In this case I would have to agree as Toyota does make the most reliable cars in the world, 2nd would be Honda IMO.
Nope, check your facts. Toyota is catching up but is still behind GM and Ford. They did pass DCX to pull into third then.

Regardless, lets say Toyota passes GM/Ford. Does that mean GM/Ford makes better cars than Honda, which is quite far behind the big 3/4?

Higher sales != better cars
Old 04-09-2007, 10:06 AM
if you only knew...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan
Yes, Infiniti makes a rear wheel drive coupe.
I traded in my CL-S for a G35 coupe a few days ago. It's got the premium package and chrome wheels and all. Honestly, it's a really cool car and I'm really happy with it so far. I was less than happy with the way quality in the Acura line is slipping. Everyone I had talked to was having problems with their TL's and TSX's(I won't even begin with my story). Then there was the coupe issue - I've never owned a sedan, and I feel more comfortable driving a coupe. In the end, I think different people are going to choose different cars for different reasons, it's what makes the world go around...
Old 04-09-2007, 11:48 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by michiamo
I traded in my CL-S for a G35 coupe a few days ago. It's got the premium package and chrome wheels and all. Honestly, it's a really cool car and I'm really happy with it so far. I was less than happy with the way quality in the Acura line is slipping. Everyone I had talked to was having problems with their TL's and TSX's(I won't even begin with my story). Then there was the coupe issue - I've never owned a sedan, and I feel more comfortable driving a coupe. In the end, I think different people are going to choose different cars for different reasons, it's what makes the world go around...
So, how does the CL-S compare to the G35 coupe?
Old 04-09-2007, 12:06 PM
What Would Don Draper Do?

i didn't consider an infiniti when i was buying my car because i had a budget of no more than $29-30k. so the tsx was the best car and value for me.

but i would have to say that i prefer infiniti to acura as well. personally, racing heritage doesn't mean a whole lot to me. but previously, i felt acuras were far ahead of infiniti in interior styling/layouts. that was a big deal to me because 1) i thought infiniti interiors were ugly, and 2) i'm inside the car when i'm driving and that's what i see most.

but these new infiniti interiors (m, new g, ex) are very impressive. the gap's narrowed for me now.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:07 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
In order for Acura to be taken seriously it needs to offer rear wheel drive, not just sh-awd and also offer an 8cyl in the RL and more than 300 horses in the TL-S. Acura also needs to give the TSX more power as well. Horsepower sells cars these days. If acura made a TSX-S with the turbo 4 from the RDX and kept it priced right, the car would be their bread and butter.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Zippee
I seem to recall Renault having some success in F1.

The "DF" series of Cosworths was one of the greatest engines ever built but Ford just put their name on it and really didn't do much as far as the actual design and building.

I do have a blind eye for Renault but they also have had a solid engine building history in F1, win wise better than Honda, but outside of a few of the early Turbo years they never had an all conquering engine, but it was used in a lot of winning cars. Their stats have been padded by the 05 and 06 seasons when it was more than 50% the car and driver. Honda on the other hand built some class of the field engines in the 80s and would have made most of the cars on the grid WCC contenders even if Senna/Prost weren't driving. The great Cosworths were incredible but then again they were in about 80% of the field in their day. I guess I still laugh at Renaults attempt at wide angle V10s, though they were torque monsters (funny to call them that since they had less than 300 lbft but it is F1) the engine just didn't produce. But, point taken Renault should be mentioned in that discussion.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:17 PM
Safety Car

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Acura should stop offering 4-bangers (even though they are great engines) and up the luxury image. For me its hard to see Acura as a luxury brand while Infiniti is improving its luxury image.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:13 PM
My Garage not

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
when i saw the thread title i didn't really think of this in terms of racing heritage but consumer perception. out of all the luxury brands (lexus, infiniti, acura, audi, bmw etc.) acura is the least prestigious in the eye of the general consumer who doesn't know anything about cars. it doesn't matter that acura was the first to offspin a brand into a luxury line back with the legend. cus of how it has evolved over the last 2 decades in terms of pricing and models it is not seen the same way nowadays.

we need rwd/awd, more power on some models, probably higher pricing on the lower end models, etc.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ilitig8
I do have a blind eye for Renault but they also have had a solid engine building history in F1, win wise better than Honda, but outside of a few of the early Turbo years they never had an all conquering engine, but it was used in a lot of winning cars. Their stats have been padded by the 05 and 06 seasons when it was more than 50% the car and driver. Honda on the other hand built some class of the field engines in the 80s and would have made most of the cars on the grid WCC contenders even if Senna/Prost weren't driving.
Let's give Renault credit, they did develop the pneumatic valve "spring" that everyone uses now that lets them turn 16+k rpm. And didn't they win the championship a couple of years back?

The great Cosworths were incredible but then again they were in about 80% of the field in their day.
I keep thinking about how the engine progressed...did a lot in endurance sports cars and evolved into a multi-time Indy winner. A true classic of design much like the Miller that eventually turned into the Offy.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by minkl81
Acura should stop offering 4-bangers (even though they are great engines) and up the luxury image. For me its hard to see Acura as a luxury brand while Infiniti is improving its luxury image.
Good points
Old 04-10-2007, 12:16 AM
06 GBM AT TSX + 35% TINT

unfortunately Infiniti > Acura. But then, their car price starts higher than Acura.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:32 AM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by minkl81
and thats why they're dropping the RSX.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:21 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by gtg710w
unfortunately Infiniti > Acura. But then, their car price starts higher than Acura.
Probably because the whole line-up of infiniti is rwd, which result in more parts and cost more to manufacture.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:22 AM
if you only knew...

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
So, how does the CL-S compare to the G35 coupe?
Almost no comparison. The G35 is a much better handling car, without giving up too much in the ride. It's also faster, and shifts smoother. I do miss my CL-S, I only sold it b/c I was on tranny #4 and that was going(#3 failed at 80mph on an interstate). This was my second Acura, and unfortunately, I've seen the slip in quality. It's only been a few days, but I really love this new car(I'll post pics when I can).

edit: IMO, the interior of my G35 is sweet, but I've got the premium package, titanium pedals, upgraded trim, etc. I've never seen a standard G35 interior. I liked the interior of my Acura, but, again, this Infiniti is a little sweeter!

Last edited by michiamo; 04-10-2007 at 07:26 AM.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:35 AM
if you only knew...

Here's my CL-S for sale!

http://autos.yahoo.com/usedcars/deta...F.91Qq1op1TcUF
Old 04-10-2007, 07:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
I love Acura's interior, and love the reliability ratings (just read the 07 auto issue of consumer reports this weekend), but I lust for RWD in my heart...

Only issue I have with the G37 6mt is that she's a little porky, weighing in at 222lbs over what my CLS6 weighs (3668 vs. 3446lbs). My last car was a 94 Tbird (V8, RWD, auto) that weighed in at 3700lbs so I've driven a porky rwd before...
Old 04-10-2007, 08:55 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by GreenMonster
I love Acura's interior, and love the reliability ratings (just read the 07 auto issue of consumer reports this weekend), but I lust for RWD in my heart...

Only issue I have with the G37 6mt is that she's a little porky, weighing in at 222lbs over what my CLS6 weighs (3668 vs. 3446lbs). My last car was a 94 Tbird (V8, RWD, auto) that weighed in at 3700lbs so I've driven a porky rwd before...
Did you ever like the retro Thunderbird from 2002-2004?
Old 04-10-2007, 09:17 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My impressions in terms of luxury has always been, Lexus > Acura > Infiniti. However, Infiniti is changing the game with the latest G and M cars.

Before I bought my 06’ TL I was set on buying a 05-06 G35x. The main reasons I went with the TL were resale value, interior, and it gave me more features for my money.

I will admit the G seemed more fun to drive, but I needed more in a vehicle.

Also, if you some of you wanted RWD so badly, WHY didn’t you by another car. Stop your whining.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:51 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mansa24
My impressions in terms of luxury has always been, Lexus > Acura > Infiniti. However, Infiniti is changing the game with the latest G and M cars.

Before I bought my 06’ TL I was set on buying a 05-06 G35x. The main reasons I went with the TL were resale value, interior, and it gave me more features for my money.

I will admit the G seemed more fun to drive, but I needed more in a vehicle.

Also, if you some of you wanted RWD so badly, WHY didn’t you by another car. Stop your whining.
No, for me now it's Lexus > Infiniti > Acura.

That is the trouble when you said they give you more features for your money. A luxury car company unfortunately should give you that features with options and not give it to you all directly. I mean I love it, but it's more value luxury because of it. Some AZ member said on here that Acura is unfortunately like the walmart of luxury car brands. There's a reason why a similarily equipped G35 sedan and an IS250 costs more than a similarily equpped TL or TSX.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:33 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

and acura needs to get with the times on the keyfobs. i'm probably just nitpicking, but acura just now offers the keyless fobs, while everyone else has moved on to push starts.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:09 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
My take on this is Acura makes some very well made cars. They are built with one thing in mind. Reliability. The are also some of the safest cars on the road today. Now if Acura would try to get with the program and start to produce some RWD cars or even more AWD that would be great. They have always been a bit behind the times compared to Lexus or Infiniti.

Infiniti main focus is on performance it seems over quality. They have increase the quality dramatically over the past few years and it shows on the M and now the new G. I loved my G35 when I had it. It was a great car, fun to drive. It had a good amount of problems compared to my TL. The way I see things pumping out of Infiniti and Acura now, I think Lexus is starting to get in reach.

Keep up the work and lets see what happens in the next few years! This is my .02 cents!
Old 04-10-2007, 12:23 PM
Instructor

Nissans don't hold value the way a honda/acura does, nor does their reliability (real world) come close.

Nissan/Infiniti as well as Mazda do not come close to Lexus/toyota or honda/acura
Old 04-10-2007, 12:27 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
In a nutshell considering all things, I give Infiniti the edge.

If you are a driving enthusiast, then Infiniti wins in a landslide.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:50 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
No, for me now it's Lexus > Infiniti > Acura.

That is the trouble when you said they give you more features for your money. A luxury car company unfortunately should give you that features with options and not give it to you all directly. I mean I love it, but it's more value luxury because of it. Some AZ member said on here that Acura is unfortunately like the walmart of luxury car brands. There's a reason why a similarily equipped G35 sedan and an IS250 costs more than a similarily equpped TL or TSX.
Just because a luxury car is more expensive that doesn’t mean its better. Acura has the right formula when it comes to features. They give you just about everything their competitors offer as standard equipment at lower price and you don’t have to sacrifice quality, reliability, etc. This doesn’t make Acura WalMart. They just don’t try to gouge your pockets with options. I commend Acura for this practice.

One reason people may be at the bottom under Lexus and Infiniti is styling. Lexus and Infiniti styling is just sexier…at least right now. They seem more luxurious while comparatively Acura’s styling is a little dated. Hopefully this will change in the coming years.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:01 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by tsxnation
Nissans don't hold value the way a honda/acura does, nor does their reliability (real world) come close.

Nissan/Infiniti as well as Mazda do not come close to Lexus/toyota or honda/acura
That has changed though. About 2 years ago or so The G35 and the M were rated the highest for resale value and I believe the Altima and 350z were as well.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:28 PM
'02 S2000

Originally Posted by GreenMonster

yeah....acura's interior owns!
Old 04-10-2007, 01:56 PM
if you only knew...

Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
That has changed though. About 2 years ago or so The G35 and the M were rated the highest for resale value and I believe the Altima and 350z were as well.
The G35 has one of the highest resale values of any model!
Old 04-10-2007, 02:16 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mansa24
Just because a luxury car is more expensive that doesn’t mean its better. Acura has the right formula when it comes to features. They give you just about everything their competitors offer as standard equipment at lower price and you don’t have to sacrifice quality, reliability, etc. This doesn’t make Acura WalMart. They just don’t try to gouge your pockets with options. I commend Acura for this practice.

One reason people may be at the bottom under Lexus and Infiniti is styling. Lexus and Infiniti styling is just sexier…at least right now. They seem more luxurious while comparatively Acura’s styling is a little dated. Hopefully this will change in the coming years.
Lexus and Infiniti have better styling, offer V8s, have RWD cars, and give buyers that luxury panche and image. Acura does to a certain degree, but it falls short. Give me a reason why more consumers are buying the Infiniti M35/M45 and Lexus GS350/430 than the Acura RL?
Old 04-10-2007, 03:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
Styling is purely subjective. I agree w/ you re: M35/45 & GS350/430, the RL needs a V8 and RWD to be competitive. If it were up to me, I would add a MT option to the RL and give some competition to the 5er.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Did you ever like the retro Thunderbird from 2002-2004?
No... I thought it was underpowered and needed a v8 and 6MT
Old 04-10-2007, 03:45 PM
Burning Brakes

I am sooo hooked on RWD cars.. I personally would not buy any FWD unless my place gets hit by snow storm every other day, but then I would probably prefer AWD over FWD in that case...

so I think Infiniti > Acura in California... Infiniti interior is not as good as Acura but really it ain't bad at all. I bet you its RWD platform will give you more smile than any Acura can give you.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:51 PM
Burning Brakes

acura makes a good car but they've never made anything "great". imo, they need to do things to distiguish them from their honda roots because until they do that, they're still going to just be rebadged and glorified accords/pilots/etc.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:03 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
let see....

you are not staring at your dash board when you are driving... LOOK AHEAD!

You should be shifting, enjoying your car , NOT STARING AT YOUR VOLUME KNOB.

I totally agree Acura Interior > Infiniti. however, i dont think infiniti's interior is bad at all...

Of course Acura is offering a lot for its $ and it is cheaper than most of the other luxury brand... Yes it is very attractive before you buy it. and then you are wondering why ppl think BMW,Lexus, Infiniti > Acura?

That is EXACTLY why, there is no exclusivity whatsoever.

for example, A LV purse that costs $2000. You are buying something that alot of others cant afford or Dont wanna afford, therefore, you got the exclusivity and ppl will not compare LV with Guess purses.

If LV drop their price to $200 from $2000, everyone and their moms will have one. SURE you can finally AFFORD ONE but what s the fucking point?
Old 04-10-2007, 04:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
let see....

you are not staring at your dash board when you are driving... LOOK AHEAD!

You should be shifting, enjoying your car , NOT STARING AT YOUR VOLUME KNOB.

I totally agree Acura Interior > Infiniti. however, i dont think infiniti's interior is bad at all...

Of course Acura is offering a lot for its $ and it is cheaper than most of the other luxury brand... Yes it is very attractive before you buy it. and then you are wondering why ppl think BMW,Lexus, Infiniti > Acura?

That is EXACTLY why, there is no exclusivity whatsoever.

for example, A LV purse that costs $2000. You are buying something that alot of others cant afford or Dont wanna afford, therefore, you got the exclusivity and ppl will not compare LV with Guess purses.

If LV drop their price to $200 from $2000, everyone and their moms will have one. SURE you can finally AFFORD ONE but what s the fucking point?
so your logic is that if BMW dropped their 3 series prices to something more along the lines of acura's tsx, that less people would buy it because more people could afford it? sure there's some people that buy cars for the exclusivity of status symbols but the general public buys cars that are reliable, look good, and are affordable.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:40 PM
Team Owner

i am not talking about sales #... of course more ppl will buy it.

What would happen to BMW's whole brand image if that happens?

ppl wanna improve acura's luxury image yet are not willing to pay for it.. it is contracdicting!

General public? you mean ppl who wanna buy accord, altimas? sure value/reliability is what they are looking for. and Acura is doing a good job at it,,, except that s that is HONDA's job.. not Acura's.

But we are talking about Luxury brand here.... there is a reason why most of the ppl who buy BMW, MBZ, Lexus will NOT buy an Acura regardless how nice their interior is and how AFFORDable they are.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 04-10-2007 at 04:44 PM.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:47 PM
Team Owner

Sure you can say they are posers, but if Acura wanna improve their whole overall image, they will just have to join these so called "poser/overpriced" luxury auto makers. otherwise Acura will just be another Honda...

Will they sell a lot of cars? no doubt.. because ppl who wanna buy Accord, Altimas will look at TSX, TL as well..

and it is a good thing... and a bad thing.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
Originally Posted by oonowindoo
.. because ppl who wanna buy Accord, Altimas will look at TSX, TL as well..
...although I did not consider the TSX, I did the TL (though I did not see it being worth $8k more than a loaded AV6).
Old 04-11-2007, 06:33 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by tsxnation

I can't say I agree with any of your statements here. Various models of Nissan/Infiniti hold their value extremely well, and even best in class such as the G and the M.

As far as Nissan/Infiniti's reliability not even coming close to Honda/Acura, that's incorrect as well. The last CR report puts Acura ranked third, Lexus fifth, and Infiniti eighth. While Acura and Lexus are ahead of Infiniti, it's only by a small margin. I have had one Nissan and three Infiniti products and haven't had one single problem with any of them.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
My biggest qualm about a brand raising prices just to make their cars seem better/more luxurious is that in order to raise prices, they would also have to be doing something different (adding RWD or more features) in order to justify the increase. Acura can't just suddenly raise prices just because they feel like it, and not change their products. People (especially ones here on AZ) will be able to tell they are just posers and haven't changed their products at all. There has to be justification for a sizable price increase or consumers will just see right through it.

Quick Reply: Is Infiniti > Acura?