I need recommendations & thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010 | 12:18 AM
Registered Member

I need recommendations & thoughts

I have put off getting a new car for quite a bit longer than I hoped. My 2004 TL was set to be traded in for a 2007 Type-S but then I figured I'd wait for the new 2009 model anyway. For a number of reasons (that have been discussed endlessly) I decided against that but wasn't interested in my other options.

I do take a second couple out to dinner quite often, almost weekly, so I don't desire a smaller sedan like the G37 or 3-Series or even the TSX. I'd like a quick car but it doesn't have to be outright "fast". Just as well I want good handling but I'm not going to do it at the expensive of ride comfort and quietness, a gripe I had with the new TL.

I'm thinking no more than mid 40s but I could be tempted to spend up to 10 thousand more if I'm absolutely in love. The 535i and 9-5 Aero come to mind but I haven't driven either yet and the BMW is already in the mid 50s with just the sport package and the cold weather package. Easily the best car here but I just can't swing 60-plus, which is probably what it'd go for once you keep checking boxes.

Ideal: midsize, AWD or RWD, luxurious with at least some sportiness.

Thanks for any input.
Old 06-09-2010 | 12:22 AM
Registered Member

Oh and I should mention some vehicles I've already considered. The new Regal GS looks really good. I've already had a seat in the standard model and it seems quite nice. With AWD and the extra performance all around it could be a bargain.

I liked the S60 T6 but on Volvo's site it moves to the upper 40s with the things I'd like and it's too small. Sexy car, though.

I've driven the new Lacrosse CXS Touring package and it's a fine piece and EVERY BIT a competitor to an Acura or Lexus, I say. Still, I longed for more sportiness, but for what it is I'd completely recommend it.

Lastly I've tried the new SHO and driven one a lot because a friend owns one. Excellent car and fits my needs well except one area: it's just plain a lot MORE car than I need, size wise.

I may even give the new SRT Charger a go but again that's a lot of car.
Old 06-09-2010 | 12:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Since BMW is out, Audi I'm also guessing is out since it looks like you have an A4 and the bigger versions I think are out of your price range. You don't want an Acura. None of the lower end cars, Honda, Toyota.

Right now I can think of:
Lexus ES
Lexus GS (if you are willing to put some extra money)
VW passat (when is the 2011 going to be released? Maybe in your timeframe?)
VW CC (I'm going to guess it might be to small, never sat in one though so not sure.)
Hyundai Genesis
2010 535i (might be able to get a good deal on those now)

thats all I got right now...

Is the car preferred to new? Or would you go used as well?

edit: these cars are more luxury oriented, but I'm sure its not completely boring. Some yes, others I dunno really. Never driven them, just read about some. I'd try test driving them to see if you like it.

Last edited by speedemon90; 06-09-2010 at 12:34 AM.
Old 06-09-2010 | 01:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Cadillac CTS?
Old 06-09-2010 | 02:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by SpiderX1016
Cadillac CTS?
Ohh yea that slipped my mind. You should be able to get the 3.6L engine also
Old 06-09-2010 | 03:03 AM

does it have to be brand new? I would look for a G8 GXP
Old 06-09-2010 | 05:01 AM
Burning Brakes

1. Infiniti M37

2. Cadillac CTS

3. Hyundai Genesis

4. Lexus GS

5. Lincoln MKS
Old 06-09-2010 | 08:45 AM
Drifting

I say these:
Infiniti M37S
Cadillac CTS
BMW 535xi (AWD)
MB E350

Those would be my suggestions. Although it would take some extra $$$$$ to make it happen.
Old 06-09-2010 | 09:47 AM
Suzuka Master

fully loaded passat CC. VR6 is awesome and AWD too. And it's a VW so you can kind of keep it in the family with the Audi.
Old 06-09-2010 | 10:15 AM
Registered Member

Thanks guys. Two cars in particular stood out to me that you mentioned.

The GS350 and the CC VR6 AWD. I'll go have a looksee at them today and try to drive them.

I'm also going to have a go in the E350 if I can, but it'd be a real stretch in terms of price. Ditto the M37.

I'll mention some of the other recommendations later. I'm not going to have time to drive all of them today but I'll go try the Lexus and VeeDub.

Thanks again!
Old 06-09-2010 | 10:31 AM
Senior Moderator

maybe I'm missing something but the CC is a toy. I wouldn't call it a full-size sedan by any means.

The LaCrosse CXS is definitely a looker and for $36K you can get it fully loaded.
CTS seems small on the outside.
Genesis is a bargain and a huge sedan.
Old 06-09-2010 | 10:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
maybe I'm missing something but the CC is a toy. I wouldn't call it a full-size sedan by any means.

The LaCrosse CXS is definitely a looker and for $36K you can get it fully loaded.
hows that? its just a baby CLS. its a nice car
Old 06-09-2010 | 10:50 AM

Okay...so not really luxurious by most standards....but the Subaru Legacy?
Old 06-09-2010 | 03:04 PM
Registered Member

I drove the CC VR6 with the AWD option today. It had the navigation/media system dealio too so according to VW's site. It was a nasty beige but had the gorgeous two tone interior. I have to confess I did not realize VW interiors were this good. The quality of materials and sturdiness of the whole interior makes any Japanese car for the money seem plasticky. The media system seemd a little laggy but nothing close to a deal killer. VR6 is much more powerful than my wife's 3.2 version in the A4 but has that same feel of big torque even at low revs. Good ride and handling balance. Overall, very impressive. The only real problem I found was that rear room is a bit contrived for 6+ ft passengers, but that's the price you pay for that sexy roofline I suppose.

The Lexus dealer closest to be had no GS350 RWD available but I did have a run in the AWD version. It was a base model at $48,000 (I think it had one option and a metallic paint nick too). Very good engine again and the transmission just melts from gear to gear. But honestly, I was a bit let down in a few areas. Though the Lexus did feel moderately stronger once the dealer let me give it the beans the thousands extra I'd spend next to the CC didn't seem to get me a better quality interior. The wood seems a bit too shiny and some buttons feel a bit, I don't know. It's perfectly good for the class but it's just that VW seems to do an even better interior for less money. I really liked to cool silver klingon things near the shoulders of the seats; a random but nice touch. The more I thought about the more it would bother me that within a year I'd already have the "old" model as well (isn't a new GS on the way?). And as I browse the Lexus site, is it really loaded for about 50 thousand?? Seems almost cheap. Oh and before I forget, the steering seemd overboosted and the brakes seemed grabby. Maybe I'm picking it apart too much.

One of these days I would look into a test of the CTS with the 3.6 and the Genesis, perhaps the supercharged A6 as well.
Old 06-09-2010 | 03:15 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by speedemon90

Lexus ES
Lexus GS
VW passat
VW CC
Hyundai Genesis
2010 535i
Took your advice on the GS and CC and the Genesis that others later mentioned as well!

535i might be possible. I'll have to think about that one.

ES is rather boring for me. A good car for what it is, but the new Lacrosse trounces it in almost every way.

Passat is possible as long as they offer a powerful engine and AWD.

Originally Posted by MTwEeZi
does it have to be brand new? I would look for a G8 GXP
New would be the only way I go north of 30 thousand dollars, but the G8s are great.

Originally Posted by Shift_Acura
Infiniti M37
Cadillac CTS
Hyundai Genesis
Lexus GS
Lincoln MKS
CTS is a little small but then again the CC is too so maybe I could make it work. Genesis is a good option, the GS too. M37 is nice but somehow it seems a little bland. Maybe if I test one I'll fall for it? MKS is very nice but I'd pocket 20 grand and buy the sportier SHO. Both are actually more car than I need, but the SHO is on my short list still.

Originally Posted by d-townhakuzo
I say these:
Infiniti M37S
Cadillac CTS
BMW 535xi (AWD)
MB E350
See above.

Originally Posted by NSXNEXT

I wish they'd offer a more powerful engine like the EcoBoost for the Buick. That with a sport suspension could seal the deal.

Originally Posted by Street Spirit
Okay...so not really luxurious by most standards....but the Subaru Legacy?
Good car or so I read but I'm willing to pay another 15 thousand or so for improvements in refinement and interior quality and features. Same reason I haven't really considered the new Camry or Accord either.

They don't offer an automatic sport suspension do they?
Old 06-09-2010 | 03:16 PM
Drifting

I think one of the other 4Gen'ers just got a killer deal on a 2010 5 series due to clearing the way for the 2011's. I bet you could get a nicely equipped BMW 535xi for low 50's (but that may be stretching it).

I would stay away from the Saab, they may have gotten better recently, but I had a 2002 9-3 turbo that was a money pit, only had like 60k miles on it, but crap broke all the time.

I'd recommend the Dodge Charger awd version. My buddy has one, it's a little floaty on the road, but the interior was much nicer than I expected. I'm not sure if that is bigger than the SHO. + 0% APR for 72 months? Free money FTMFW.
Old 06-09-2010 | 03:37 PM
The ICEMAN

You should get either a Lotus or a S2000 so you can take it to track days.
Old 06-09-2010 | 04:11 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by petec2010

I would stay away from the Saab, they may have gotten better recently, but I had a 2002 9-3 turbo that was a money pit, only had like 60k miles on it, but crap broke all the time.

I'd recommend the Dodge Charger awd version. My buddy has one, it's a little floaty on the road, but the interior was much nicer than I expected. I'm not sure if that is bigger than the SHO. + 0% APR for 72 months? Free money FTMFW.
Yeah Saabs haven't been great, but I do wonder about the new 9-5 (2010 or 2011?). It's a GM platform this time with a GM transmission and a GM engine, all of which seem to have been reliable so far in other GMs, as have the features.

Maybe? I hope so. It's so beautiful. Just wish it had some more power for the price, but I could chip it.

I'd be willing to pay to wait for the 2011s though since they'll be all new and very much in my price range. And if it's a RWD car I'd love to have the standard rear drive. I'd only have an AWD because I'm done with front drive. And for that I'd like to wait for the new 6.4 liter SRT model. If they get the interior down on that thing I am ON BOARD! I've driven several SRT 300s and Chargers and they are intoxicating to drive. Makes me salivate at the idea.

I could get used to this sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ShrdBSnIs4

Originally Posted by WillrunifChased
Old 06-09-2010 | 05:15 PM
fap fap fap

cpo 550i. no need to worry about hfpf.
Old 06-09-2010 | 05:18 PM
is out, so the

If your considering the Charger, why not Chrysler 300C? Or maybe SRT-8? Nice size, nice interior, RWD, and Hemi power.

Maybe I missed it, but why don't you like the TL SH-AWD?

What about a low mileage (10,000) 2008 RL? Sporty, bigger but not too big, SH-AWD, excellent navigation system, Acura reliable and sweet looks especially with the A.SPEC pieces. There's a thread in the RL section where there are a few RLs mentioned with 200,000+ miles and no problems.
Old 06-09-2010 | 05:25 PM
is out, so the

I know its not a luxury car, but what about a 2010 Nissan Maxima 3.5SV? The interior is Infiniti-grade and the exterior is very sexy. Especially with the 3.5SV wheels. I drove one and liked it, the only thing I didnt like was the CVT. It made the engine noise annoying in traffic.
Old 06-09-2010 | 06:53 PM
Burning Brakes

the passat cc and volvo s60 are nice but if there is nothing wrong with your TL I would hold on to it... but car shopping is fun!
Old 06-09-2010 | 06:56 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Allen-
If your considering the Charger, why not Chrysler 300C? Or maybe SRT-8? Nice size, nice interior, RWD, and Hemi power.

Maybe I missed it, but why don't you like the TL SH-AWD?

What about a low mileage (10,000) 2008 RL? Sporty, bigger but not too big, SH-AWD, excellent navigation system, Acura reliable and sweet looks especially with the A.SPEC pieces. There's a thread in the RL section where there are a few RLs mentioned with 200,000+ miles and no problems.

I know its not a luxury car, but what about a 2010 Nissan Maxima 3.5SV? The interior is Infiniti-grade and the exterior is very sexy. Especially with the 3.5SV wheels. I drove one and liked it, the only thing I didnt like was the CVT. It made the engine noise annoying in traffic.
I'd consider the Chrysler as well, but not the 5.7 because its pricing means I'd have to pass up on the SRT Charger. 368 horsepower or 425? Either way I'd wait to see the 2011s.

I don't like the TL for a number of small or moderate reasons. The interior feels plasticky compared to other sedans I could get for the money and there isn't a performance pay off like the early mentioned Chryslers. There also are holes in its feature list, from having only a 5-speed automatic (again with no "make up" feature like .... a V-8! ), no cooled seats, that kind of stuff. The ride is hard in all models I drove with either tire/wheel choice. Basically compared to my TL I like the interior less, the exterior less, there's only a few more features, it's barely quicker, it has AWD, I dislike the steering, and it costs 10 thousand more than my TL did years ago. In short I think it's barely a better car among others that I really do like for the money.

I'd really like to buy new for this kind of money.

And the Maxima is FWD. Shame because other than the CVT those are the only two problems I have with it.
Old 06-09-2010 | 06:57 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 007Acura
the passat cc and volvo s60 are nice but if there is nothing wrong with your TL I would hold on to it... but car shopping is fun!
Fully agree ....that's why I'm taking my sweet time.

I'm definately waiting for the new SRT Chryslers and the Regal GS, so I probably won't actually be signing anything for a year yet.
Old 06-09-2010 | 08:02 PM
Suzuka Master

I'd vote for the Chrysler 300S or if you could swing it the SRT model over the charger, just based on looks alone.
Old 06-09-2010 | 08:45 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Originally Posted by MyCarIsntInMyWifesName

Good car or so I read but I'm willing to pay another 15 thousand or so for improvements in refinement and interior quality and features. Same reason I haven't really considered the new Camry or Accord either.

They don't offer an automatic sport suspension do they?
The Legacy GT Limited comes with a 6MT and a sporty suspension. Though not an automatic suspension, it is better than the regular model (non GT). The interior is more refined than the previous model (the one I own), and the exterior is, well, slightly polarizing but not like the TL (IMO).

Take a trip to a local dealer and test drive one. That is all I would say.

Last edited by mrmako; 06-09-2010 at 08:48 PM.
Old 06-10-2010 | 12:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by WillrunifChased
rofl, I knew that was going to pop up.

As fast as the SRT8s are, they are horrible to drive. I didn't like the ergonomics of that car either.

Last edited by SpiderX1016; 06-10-2010 at 12:34 AM.
Old 06-10-2010 | 01:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Is vw considering selling their Phaeton here? Saw it on autoblog, looks very luxurious. No clue what the prices of those things run for though haha. I'm gonna guess over your budget, if they were sold here.
Old 06-10-2010 | 01:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by MyCarIsntInMyWifesName
I drove the CC VR6 with the AWD option today. It had the navigation/media system dealio too so according to VW's site. It was a nasty beige but had the gorgeous two tone interior. I have to confess I did not realize VW interiors were this good. The quality of materials and sturdiness of the whole interior makes any Japanese car for the money seem plasticky. The media system seemd a little laggy but nothing close to a deal killer. VR6 is much more powerful than my wife's 3.2 version in the A4 but has that same feel of big torque even at low revs. Good ride and handling balance. Overall, very impressive. The only real problem I found was that rear room is a bit contrived for 6+ ft passengers, but that's the price you pay for that sexy roofline I suppose.

The Lexus dealer closest to be had no GS350 RWD available but I did have a run in the AWD version. It was a base model at $48,000 (I think it had one option and a metallic paint nick too). Very good engine again and the transmission just melts from gear to gear. But honestly, I was a bit let down in a few areas. Though the Lexus did feel moderately stronger once the dealer let me give it the beans the thousands extra I'd spend next to the CC didn't seem to get me a better quality interior. The wood seems a bit too shiny and some buttons feel a bit, I don't know. It's perfectly good for the class but it's just that VW seems to do an even better interior for less money. I really liked to cool silver klingon things near the shoulders of the seats; a random but nice touch. The more I thought about the more it would bother me that within a year I'd already have the "old" model as well (isn't a new GS on the way?). And as I browse the Lexus site, is it really loaded for about 50 thousand?? Seems almost cheap. Oh and before I forget, the steering seemd overboosted and the brakes seemed grabby. Maybe I'm picking it apart too much.

One of these days I would look into a test of the CTS with the 3.6 and the Genesis, perhaps the supercharged A6 as well.
Yea some VW's have great interiors. Especially with all their updates, the fit and finish is pretty amazing especially for the price you are paying. They normally level up to those more expensive luxury cars. I've been looking at the GTI, and it just looks amazing. Feels pretty amazing as well. The steering wheel on the GTI is fantastic.

I've never driver the VR6, but if thats the same one in the R32, then I bet it has an amazing note to it. At least thats what I hear from R32 owners. The engine note is amazing.
Old 06-10-2010 | 02:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Is vw considering selling their Phaeton here? Saw it on autoblog, looks very luxurious. No clue what the prices of those things run for though haha. I'm gonna guess over your budget, if they were sold here.

Forget about that, They're double or even triple his budget when they first came out and he's going to have to buy used, they don't make it anymore for the US.
and Yeah, R32s have VR6s and they do sound amazing.

Last edited by SpiderX1016; 06-10-2010 at 02:16 AM.
Old 06-10-2010 | 03:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Forget about that, They're double or even triple his budget when they first came out and he's going to have to buy used, they don't make it anymore for the US.
and Yeah, R32s have VR6s and they do sound amazing.
haha wow didnt know it was that much, disregard my phaeton comment
Old 06-10-2010 | 04:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

haha wow didnt know it was that much, disregard my phaeton comment
http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/#/new/phaeton
http://www.audi.co.uk/new-cars/a8/a8/pricing.html

According to MSRP on there UK sites, the W12 is more than an A8. Lol.
Old 06-10-2010 | 07:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Damn

Talk about being way off haha
Old 06-10-2010 | 10:58 AM
Registered Member

rofl, I knew that was going to pop up.

As fast as the SRT8s are, they are horrible to drive. I didn't like the ergonomics of that car either.
I've driven all the SRT8s other than the Magnum and I found driving them really fun. The steering is numb and overboosted but otherwise they corner flat and have lots of grip but still have a sublime and quiet ride.

Ergonomically I found only one thing wrong: wiper placement. It's on the left side of the wheel, but even that isn't soooo weird. Even Acuras and Hondas on occasion have strange placements like that, especially their sunroofs.

Yea some VW's have great interiors. Especially with all their updates, the fit and finish is pretty amazing especially for the price you are paying. They normally level up to those more expensive luxury cars. I've been looking at the GTI, and it just looks amazing. Feels pretty amazing as well. The steering wheel on the GTI is fantastic.

I've never driver the VR6, but if thats the same one in the R32, then I bet it has an amazing note to it. At least thats what I hear from R32 owners. The engine note is amazing.
My wife's A4 has basically the same 3.2 FSI as the R32, but with 15 more ponies

The CC's VR6 is a half liter larger with the torque and horsepower figure improvements to match! Zero to 60 in under six seconds isn't too bad. I really wish they'd drop the DSG in though.
Old 06-10-2010 | 12:31 PM
I got the Shifts

i vote genesis. pretty huge bargain.
Old 06-10-2010 | 03:32 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

VW CC 4 motion VR6

Caddy CTS
Old 06-10-2010 | 05:59 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Looked up the price of an 04 Phaeton. $6950 CDN. >$100,000 new. My 03 Accord is worth ~$8500 CDN. <$30,000 new. Talk about depreciation.

Same thing goes for the 300C and Charger. They're fairly pricey now, but five years down the road, they'll be worth less than $5000. So unless you plan on driving it into the ground, I'd stray away from them.

Why not the G37 again? It's not small by any means.

What about the Jag XF? Or is the new one the XJ? I can never remember. Those seem to fit your needs/wants. Audi A6? Or you could wait a couple of years for the A7. If you're waiting, you could also look at Cadillac's STS/DTS replacement, sounds promising.

Genesis sedan?
Slightly used Panamera?

You've got a lot of options out there
Old 06-10-2010 | 07:20 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AMAN1
Looked up the price of an 04 Phaeton. $6950 CDN. >$100,000 new. My 03 Accord is worth ~$8500 CDN. <$30,000 new. Talk about depreciation.

Old 06-10-2010 | 09:26 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by AMAN1

Same thing goes for the 300C and Charger. They're fairly pricey now, but five years down the road, they'll be worth less than $5000. So unless you plan on driving it into the ground, I'd stray away from them.

Why not the G37 again? It's not small by any means.

What about the Jag XF? Or is the new one the XJ? I can never remember. Those seem to fit your needs/wants. Audi A6? Or you could wait a couple of years for the A7. If you're waiting, you could also look at Cadillac's STS/DTS replacement, sounds promising.

Genesis sedan?
Slightly used Panamera?

You've got a lot of options out there
I don't really worry about depreciation to be honest. I'd rather have a car I love that will cost more in the long run than a vehicle that will save me money long term, but will remind me every day I didn't buy my favorite option within my means.

And I want used for my money (I don't think the Porsche would be in my price range anyway).

G37s are really nice but the interiors aren't so great and they feel narrow. Their refinement is a step down from my TL as well. Great car, just not quite MY car.

A6 is an option, although I'd rather wait for the new one, and the XJ and A7 are going to be out of reach for me. XFs are super sexy but extremely unreliable.

The new XTS seems really nice. Depending upon the drivetrain choice(s) and pricing I'd consider it, although the new Equus might be worth that much. Both are expensive for me though.