I just drove a brand NEW 05 M3 6speed

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 04:09 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just drove a brand NEW 05 M3 6speed

.. a buddie of mine just bought a brand new M3 convertible... looks of this car with 19 inch wheels is like damm... very hot.. I took the car for a pretty long ride.. I don't know but some of you are goin to think I'm crazy .. this car didn't do it for .. the thing was loud .. I could hear the engine reving hard to pick up speed...well I wan't too impressed.. this thing is 6 speed and throws were ok not too long not too short.. I took couple of hard turns and again I was like WTF .. I used to hear from lot of people that this thing sticks to the ground like nothing.. well I don't think that... It made me feel like I was driving my girl friend's GT.. I'm still in love with Audi A4 3.0 and the way this car handles... I can't wait to test drive the S4..

please be kind .. this is just my personal opinion about this car..
Old 10-16-2004, 04:44 PM
Use all 3 Pedals at once

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm assuming this was your first drive of the car, if so, you probably didn't get a good feel for the car as of yet, as far as the handling goes...
...I wanna drive an M3...
...I'm happy with my 6 speed
Old 10-16-2004, 05:55 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by TSX 3Pedal
I'm assuming this was your first drive of the car, if so, you probably didn't get a good feel for the car as of yet, as far as the handling goes...
...I'm happy with my 6speed

I would drop my car, and my pants for an 05 m3.
Old 10-16-2004, 05:57 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TSX 3Pedal
...I'm happy with my 6 speed

well I took a good 30 min drive with his M3 .. I think I got a good feel for the car during that time...
Old 10-16-2004, 06:14 PM
Instructor

hmmm weird y0
because the M3 is supposed to be the benchmark for Front Engine Rear Wheel Drive sports cars.
maybe you not used to FR layout?
Old 10-17-2004, 03:36 AM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
Most convertibles give up something over their hardtop models. I don't like noisy cars to begin with so I'd probably be like you and really not care for the rather loud growl (I've been in a 04 M3 SMG). Handling wise thou, it should be top notch.
Old 10-17-2004, 08:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Delmiroc
.. a buddie of mine just bought a brand new M3 convertible... looks of this car with 19 inch wheels is like damm... very hot.. I took the car for a pretty long ride.. I don't know but some of you are goin to think I'm crazy .. this car didn't do it for .. the thing was loud .. I could hear the engine reving hard to pick up speed...well I wan't too impressed.. this thing is 6 speed and throws were ok not too long not too short.. I took couple of hard turns and again I was like WTF .. I used to hear from lot of people that this thing sticks to the ground like nothing.. well I don't think that... It made me feel like I was driving my girl friend's GT.. I'm still in love with Audi A4 3.0 and the way this car handles... I can't wait to test drive the S4..

please be kind .. this is just my personal opinion about this car..

First the Cab does give away a little to the coupe but not that much. Second, you didn't get near the acceleration experience assuming you stayed within the break-in RPM of 5500, the last 2500 is where the engine shines. As for the handling, assuming again it is new the tires would still be a little greasy but if you weren't impressed you either had biased expectations OR you are used to Z06/Elise/Modena handling on a daily basis. The M3 is not THE paragon of handling but it is certainly the benchmark for sub-exotic coupes. I can't tell specifically what you did not like but it is safe to say that the S4 will also not impress you in the dry. I am curious is you ran the car with DSC off and got close to break away, with Michelins the break away is creamy and a hoot to play with, with Contis the break away is not nearly as predictable and the over all limits are lower. Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy the ride, if you ever get a chance to explore the limits of a broken in M3 at the track, take it! I think you will find what you were looking for. In the end if you are comparing limits between a M3 and an A4 then something was/is wrong!

Vandy
Old 10-19-2004, 12:22 AM
Burning Brakes

If you compare an E46 M3 to S2000 then you can complain the M3 6sp is notchy, the throw is too long and the handling is lacking the cart feel. But it is impossible that the M3 will worst than A4! You drove an extensively 30min on a brand new M3 and comment that it is wrost than an A4? I drove my own E46 everyday and always drove my brother's A4 as well( way more than 30 min) and I dun thing the A4 are even come close to an non-M E46.