I jsut test drove a 2001 Audi s4

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 05:09 PM
THE SILVER BULLET

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I jsut test drove a 2001 Audi s4

Ok guys, I have my mind set on a B5 platform audi s4(2000-2002), so today I went to the Audi dealer to see if they had any in stock.

Yes they did, but it was an auto, but still the guy is like "lets go for a drive, I have nothing else to do." So I'm like okay, lets roll. Right from the start i floored it to 85. The torque was really solid at low rpms. But the acceleartion wasnt much or at all faster then my cl-s, and the tiptronic was lame just like moms A6. But then he's like I gaurentee this quattro sysetm is the best you've ever driven. I'm like we'll see about that, i turned of esp and hit a turn at a light and mashed the pedal, and stuck pretty well. The handling was very good for a 3570 pound car. The only problem is you cant swing the car easily due the weight, but if you drive hard enough it aint bad. So all in all I like the car, but I want to drive a 6speed.

Pros: torque in the low rpms and AWD= insane launching, It was yellow( i love that color on the S4) Interior wasnt bad, nice grippy seats, smoot engine, nice handling.

Cons: Heavy little pig(but still handles), subtle styling cues(hard to distinguish from a normal A4, for most of the public), the automatic tranny, the engine is to civilized and quiet, and the navigation is lame, the center console looks jsut like my moms A6(nothing special, I like the acuras better)

Yea So i Like the car, but i still have to then dirve the 6speed, and the problem is the car wasnt as fun as an e36 m3, but with a few bolt ons it would be a great car
Old 07-19-2004, 05:25 PM
Race Director

drive a chipped 6 speed and you will be sold
Old 07-19-2004, 05:31 PM
THE SILVER BULLET

haha yea the torque I heard with a chip is around 366 pounds.

The only thing hindering me from buying one is the weight, looks( whcih could change with a Rs4 bumper), and reliability?
Old 07-19-2004, 05:39 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Originally Posted by amirsafdari
drive a chipped 6 speed and you will be sold
If i'm not mistaken, I thought the '00-'02 was a five speed manual, the 6speed wasn't introduced till '04. But then again i may be wrong.
Old 07-19-2004, 06:16 PM
THE SILVER BULLET

it actually is a 5speed titpronic, but a 6speed manual^
Old 07-19-2004, 08:29 PM
Banned

a chipped S4 or A6 2.7T are fucking bad ass!!! admittedly, i havent chipped my A6 yet because im a bit scared to risk my warranty.

FYI, typical chips (APR, GIAC) take the car from 260 crank hp and 250 something crank torque to 318 crank hp and 383 crank ft lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!! thats a HELL of an increase.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:08 AM
Drifting

you can now chip without a chip ie. direct port programming. with a flip of the switch you go back to stock programming and it is undetectible by dealers
Old 07-20-2004, 09:26 AM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
From what i've heard stock Auto B5 S4's really aren't that big a deal.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Chaptorial

well in that same regard, that makes any CL-S or TL-S REALLY nothing of a big deal whatsoever....a stock B5 S4 will beat a stock CL-S or TL-S in the 1/4 any day of the week, has MUCH better build quality, fit/finish, etc, and has AWD. so if you want to say a B5 S4 isnt a big deal, how does that sit with your beloved CL?

if you want to say a B5 S4 isnt a big deal, you shold at least be driving a B6 S4, an RS4, an RS6, etc....or, in other words, something that can back up the statement
Old 07-20-2004, 12:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jimcol711
well in that same regard, that makes any CL-S or TL-S REALLY nothing of a big deal whatsoever....a stock B5 S4 will beat a stock CL-S or TL-S in the 1/4 any day of the week, has MUCH better build quality, fit/finish, etc, and has AWD. so if you want to say a B5 S4 isnt a big deal, how does that sit with your beloved CL?
Great, another annoying previous owner who gets defensive about their ride and who can't read. HE SAID AUTO meaning automatic.

An automatic B5 S4 does not run as well as the manual counterpart. It is not much quicker, if at all, than a CL/TL. Who the heck was comparing build quality other than you and is still subjective?? But in comparison it did cost 40% more and as such should provide a greater refinement level.

But that wasn't the point, it was a discussion in acceleration only. You had to blindly add something to it which it wasn't.
Old 07-20-2004, 05:51 PM
Race Director

Thank you steve.

Jim you really are a joke sometimes.
Old 07-20-2004, 05:57 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Old 07-20-2004, 06:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Old 07-21-2004, 02:05 AM
THE SILVER BULLET

oh man how come my threads always have some fighting or some irritable fucks, plz let this thread end the way it should, all my threads go to shit, haha
Old 07-21-2004, 10:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by scalbert
Great, another annoying previous owner who gets defensive about their ride and who can't read. HE SAID AUTO meaning automatic.

An automatic B5 S4 does not run as well as the manual counterpart. It is not much quicker, if at all, than a CL/TL. Who the heck was comparing build quality other than you and is still subjective?? But in comparison it did cost 40% more and as such should provide a greater refinement level.

But that wasn't the point, it was a discussion in acceleration only. You had to blindly add something to it which it wasn't.

excuse me?? come on Steve, i wouldnt expect this comment and sarcasm from you. first of all the GREAT majority of CL-S and ALL of TL-S are automatic, so the transmission factor also swings both ways (in terms of a manual, well driven, running better times than its automatic counterpart). my comment was directed at the fact that someone can just say walk into a thread, say a particular car "isnt big deal at all" without any intelligent thought to back it up in anyway, and then dissappear. where in this thread does it say the focus is only on acceleration? as far as im concerned saying X "isnt a big deal at all" is about as vauge as a blanket statement can be, and as such, all other variables can and should be introduced into the discussion. I dont even have an S4, i have an A6 with the same drivetrain as the S4, but i just think its pretty weak when someone makes a lame blanket statement about something and then provides nothing to back themselves up or contribute intelligently to the conversation, that is merely what i was doing, introducing some facts that completely diffuse the idea that an S4 "isnt a big deal at all" sure when new it may have cost 50k, but now you can easily find a 2001 S4 with decent mileage and certified warranty for about 25k. at that price, its a bargin and a half considering what little more than a computer chip will do to wake up that drivetrain.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:03 AM
Race Director

It seems the CL owners were able to pick up on what that vague statement, it's just the Audi guy who had problems with it.

But if it was that vague, all I was saying was that in acceleration time alone, compared to a STOCK CLS 5A a STOCK B5 S4 is no big deal. In that I mean a race can go either way and don't expect to get killed by one. In the same token don't expect to kill on either.

How did I come to this conclusion? Well mag times plus even Audi times would be more then enough to back me up. However I raced a stock 5A B5 S4 way back when I was stock too, and I edged him out to 80mph.

And all that being said I would never say a stock 6MT AUDI B5 S4 is no big deal.

Just in the same token that a STOCK 5A B5 S4 wouldn't say a STOCK 6MT CL-S is no big deal.

Never did I talk about mods or resale value or fit and finish cuz it had nothing to do with the small and simple statement I was making 6 posts ago.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:21 PM
Suzuka Master

excuse me?? come on Steve, i wouldnt expect this comment and sarcasm from you. first of all the GREAT majority of CL-S and ALL of TL-S are automatic, so the transmission factor also swings both ways (in terms of a manual, well driven, running better times than its automatic counterpart). my comment was directed at the fact that someone can just say walk into a thread, say a particular car "isnt big deal at all" without any intelligent thought to back it up in anyway, and then dissappear. where in this thread does it say the focus is only on acceleration? as far as im concerned saying X "isnt a big deal at all" is about as vauge as a blanket statement can be, and as such, all other variables can and should be introduced into the discussion. I dont even have an S4, i have an A6 with the same drivetrain as the S4, but i just think its pretty weak when someone makes a lame blanket statement about something and then provides nothing to back themselves up or contribute intelligently to the conversation, that is merely what i was doing, introducing some facts that completely diffuse the idea that an S4 "isnt a big deal at all" sure when new it may have cost 50k, but now you can easily find a 2001 S4 with decent mileage and certified warranty for about 25k. at that price, its a bargin and a half considering what little more than a computer chip will do to wake up that drivetrain.
Ok, let's go back and review. First, the post you were responding to:

Originally Posted by Chaptorial
Now your response:

if you want to say a B5 S4 isnt a big deal, you shold at least be driving a B6 S4, an RS4, an RS6, etc....or, in other words, something that can back up the statement
So Chaptorial said an automatic B5 S4 isn't a big deal and was referring to acceleration. You responded with a bunch of crap about build quality, etc. never really striking on the matter. Don't try and back peddle your way out. Just state that you read it incorrectly, etc. or for whatever reason and responded to the way you thought it was stated.

Saying that the acceleration isn't a big deal is correct, neither is the 6MT B5 S4. Neither is it in the CL-S/TL-S. It wasn't a big deal until you turned it into something it wasn't. You simply ran your mouth like you always do. He never said that a CL/TL was better; he made a valid statement about a car which happens to be correct.

Now getting onto acceleration; my 6MT was trapping higher than a couple 6MT B5 S4's. I have pulled on one on the highway as have others. So technically my car is quicker from a roll but an S4 would be quicker from a stop. SO WHAT. Neither cars have startling acceleration until you start modding them. As such, neither is a big deal, including the S4.

You ask where it is stated being about acceleration. Read the post prior to Chaptorial:

Originally Posted by hemants
you can now chip without a chip ie. direct port programming. with a flip of the switch you go back to stock programming and it is undetectible by dealers
Next is Chaptorial's which is already quoted above. When someone is talking about chipping the car they are not doing it to help the handling or appearance. It is about more power which would be about acceleration. In addition, if Chaptorial was referring to the car as a whole he wouldn't have singled out the automatic version. The inference was not vague, it was very clear to anyone who read the thread. You attitude seems to have blinded you from that glaringly obvious assertion.

Why even bring up about the value again as it is irrelevant. And no thanks; I don't buy four year old cars for that amount, at least not now. If I wanted an S4 I would buy new which is what I almost did several years ago.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:25 PM
something witty

just stop jim.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:27 PM

the both of you are acting like a couple of bitches right now

i view a thread for someone's opinion on a S4 and i get to read a bunch of girly bs
Old 07-21-2004, 12:34 PM
THE SILVER BULLET

^ werd, btw chap wins the fight
Old 07-21-2004, 12:35 PM
Banned

Ok, let's go back and review. First, the post you were responding to:

Now your response:

So Chaptorial said an automatic B5 S4 isn't a big deal and was referring to acceleration. You responded with a bunch of crap about build quality, etc. never really striking on the matter. Don't try and back peddle your way out. Just state that you read it incorrectly, etc. or for whatever reason and responded to the way you thought it was stated.

Saying that the acceleration isn't a big deal is correct, neither is the 6MT B5 S4. Neither is it in the CL-S/TL-S. It wasn't a big deal until you turned it into something it wasn't. You simply ran your mouth like you always do. He never said that a CL/TL was better; he made a valid statement about a car which happens to be correct.

Now getting onto acceleration; my 6MT was trapping higher than a couple 6MT B5 S4's. I have pulled on one on the highway as have others. So technically my car is quicker from a roll but an S4 would be quicker from a stop. SO WHAT. Neither cars have startling acceleration until you start modding them. As such, neither is a big deal, including the S4.

You ask where it is stated being about acceleration. Read the post prior to Chaptorial:

Next is Chaptorial's which is already quoted above. When someone is talking about chipping the car they are not doing it to help the handling or appearance. It is about more power which would be about acceleration. In addition, if Chaptorial was referring to the car as a whole he wouldn't have singled out the automatic version. The inference was not vague, it was very clear to anyone who read the thread. You attitude seems to have blinded you from that glaringly obvious assertion.

Why even bring up about the value again as it is irrelevant. And no thanks; I don't buy four year old cars for that amount, at least not now. If I wanted an S4 I would buy new which is what I almost did several years ago.
steve, where in THIS statement is anything about acceleration?

i dont see any word or phrase that narrows down that statement in any way whatsoever.

the post above that one was simply about direct port programming..again, nothing having to do with acceleration. how can you possibly be interrpreting this as a thread ONLY about acceleration?

i mean honestly, did you even read the first post? there was mentions in there about EVERYTHING dealing with the S4....weight, handling, styling, interior finish, navi system, exterior noise and so on.

in fact, the first person to use the word acceleration was you, in your post berating me for going off topic. how ridiculous is that?!!! the only one refferring to acceleration is you man, lol, this thread is about the S4 as a WHOLE. cant you see that? therefore every response i posted was 100% valid.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:37 PM
Rod
Drifting

Old 07-21-2004, 12:48 PM
Suzuka Master

steve, where in THIS statement is anything about acceleration?

i dont see any word or phrase that narrows down that statement in any way whatsoever.

the post above that one was simply about direct port programming..again, nothing having to do with acceleration. how can you possibly be interrpreting this as a thread ONLY about acceleration?

i mean honestly, did you even read the first post? there was mentions in there about EVERYTHING dealing with the S4....weight, handling, styling, interior finish, navi system, exterior noise and so on.

in fact, the first person to use the word acceleration was you, in your post berating me for going off topic. how ridiculous is that?!!! the only one refferring to acceleration is you man, lol, this thread is about the S4 as a WHOLE. cant you see that? therefore every response i posted was 100% valid.
Once again you didn't read the post very well and if you can't see the inference there is nothing to discuss. But I will try one more time.

It is as simple as 1 + 1. One post mentioned about chipping the car which has a single motive. The next post was in reference to it and highlighted an automatic S4. Put those two together and what do you have?? Heck, Chaptorial even later stated that he was referring to acceleration which is who you were attacking.

Drop it Jim, you were mistaken. That is all. The original post was about the car as a whole; your post was not referencing that post. You are really struggling here!! But to sum up:

Who were you quoting/responding to: Chaptorial
What was he referring to: Acceleration (obvious to everyone but you and even confirmed by him)

That is the story as a whole about how you responded incorrectly.
Old 07-21-2004, 01:01 PM
Banned

Once again you didn't read the post very well and if you can't see the inference there is nothing to discuss. But I will try one more time.

It is as simple as 1 + 1. One post mentioned about chipping the car which has a single motive. The next post was in reference to it and highlighted an automatic S4. Put those two together and what do you have?? Heck, Chaptorial even later stated that he was referring to acceleration which is who you were attacking.

Drop it Jim, you were mistaken. That is all. The original post was about the car as a whole; your post was not referencing that post. You are really struggling here!! But to sum up:

Who were you quoting/responding to: Chaptorial
What was he referring to: Acceleration (obvious to everyone but you and even confirmed by him)

That is the story as a whole about how you responded incorrectly.
whatever man, interpret this thread anyway you want, i couldnt care less. either way, i made valid points. and come on, chap was CLEARLY taking a stab at S4's in general, sure he wont admit that now because he loves turning things into an anti-jimcol711 rant and hes already got you beliving his cocka-mamey claim that he was referring strictly to acceleration, but whatever its all there in writing, and you have no way of proving to anyone exactly what was in chaps mind when he wrote his comment, and his claim is no more proof of anything because like i said, he goes out of his way to start shit with me anyways so the entire point is moot.
Old 07-21-2004, 01:06 PM
Suzuka Master

whatever man, interpret this thread anyway you want, i couldnt care less.
OK, and I did interpret it. I guess the question to be asked, why would you chip a car??

If the answer is power and acceleration then we have a beginning of the assertion.

Oh and BTW, I believe you meant "you could care less" If "you could not care less" would infer you care a lot about this.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Steve----> <--- Jim
Old 07-21-2004, 04:09 PM
Race Director

CLEARLY taking a stab at S4's in general, sure he wont admit that now because he loves turning things into an anti-jimcol711 rant and hes already got you beliving his cocka-mamey claim that he was referring strictly to acceleration, but whatever its all there in writing, and you have no way of proving to anyone exactly what was in chaps mind when he wrote his comment, and his claim is no more proof of anything because like i said, he goes out of his way to start shit with me anyways so the entire point is moot.

That’s exactly what came to my mind when I read that. I can pick this apart on so many levels but I’m just gonna keep it short.

As far as the "attacking" Jim statement goes, there a bunch of people on this board that do give you shit but I’m not one of em. I had zero problems with you before this post and I still won't have any after.

I'm not an idiot. I know exactly what S4's are capable of both modded and unmodded with the auto or with the manual. I SPECIFICALLY wrote AUTO in my first post b/c that’s exactly what I was talking about. If I was dumb enough to believe that all s4's in general were no big deal I would have kept the drivetrain part out of it.

You have a problem admitting you clearly misinterpreted what I said. But I don't have a problem saying that all this could have been avoided if I would have just stated my belief clearer in the first place. So for that I’m wrong.

But my original statement still stands.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Jim dont give me a neg feedback cuz i aint on your side Big fuckin baby
Old 07-22-2004, 02:05 AM
THE SILVER BULLET

get back to the topic guys, please