How NOT to design a navigation system

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 02:35 PM
acurazine sucks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How NOT to design a navigation system

Check out the way Mazda "integrated" the nav system in the Mazda 6! OMG!!!!

Ed

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/disp...op&galleryID=5
Old 09-30-2004, 02:38 PM
Instructor

Disgusting.

I don't know about the rest of you, but half the fun of having the navigation system is being able to look at the big shiny screen (and having my passengers do the same). Why would you want to hide it away? I have the same problem with the implementation of the navi in the G35. If you've got a great feature like an 8" screen, you might as well take advantage of it and use it for all functions, such as radio, climate control, etc.
Old 09-30-2004, 02:41 PM
Burning Brakes

They're following the same logical design path used by Volvo. Put the screen as close to the drivers line of site as possible and hide the screen so it's not a distraction when not in use. It IS the way to design a navigation system.
Old 09-30-2004, 02:50 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BarryH
They're following the same logical design path used by Volvo. Put the screen as close to the drivers line of site as possible and hide the screen so it's not a distraction when not in use. It IS the way to design a navigation system.
I couldn't disagree more. How often is the navigation system actually in use? I venture that it's less than 5% of the time spent driving. In the meantime, you've got a large, expensive screen hiding behind the dashboard doing nothing? It's a complete waste. The TL imprelementation makes far more sense as (1) the navi system appears to be an integrated part of the dash, as opposed to an afterthought and (2) the screen is utilized for the radio and other functions when not in use as a navi system.
Old 09-30-2004, 02:52 PM
I'm Baaack!

Same as Infinity .. it does clean up the dash for non-Nav equipped, or when it isn't on, but then again I always have mine on ....

I disagree w/ Barry .. pop-up on the right of driver is still on the right of the driver .. the Nav on the Chrysler Pacifica is more in the line of sight for the driver ..

Driver's Console in the speedo

Chrysler Pacifica
Old 09-30-2004, 02:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dwcolt
I couldn't disagree more. How often is the navigation system actually in use? I venture that it's less than 5% of the time spent driving. In the meantime, you've got a large, expensive screen hiding behind the dashboard doing nothing? It's a complete waste. The TL imprelementation makes far more sense as (1) the navi system appears to be an integrated part of the dash, as opposed to an afterthought and (2) the screen is utilized for the radio and other functions when not in use as a navi system.
I use the Navi in my car for navigation, not to impress the neighbors or passengers. It's a car, not a rolling entertainment center. I can't tell you the number of times I found myself not paying attention to the road while playing with the Navi or AC in my TL-S and MDX. I don't have that problem with the Volvo. Safety should be more important than aesthetics.
Old 09-30-2004, 03:14 PM
Burning Brakes

I use the Navi in my car for navigation, not to impress the neighbors or passengers. It's a car, not a rolling entertainment center. I can't tell you the number of times I found myself not paying attention to the road while playing with the Navi or AC in my TL-S and MDX. I don't have that problem with the Volvo. Safety should be more important than aesthetics.
how is the design of a navi system a problem if it's your own fault for not paying attention to the road? also, i don't understand your safety issue. you said you don't pay attention when you're using the navi in the tl or mdx... does it matter what car you are in? if you were in the volvo and the navi screen was open, wouldn't it be the same situation?
Old 09-30-2004, 03:15 PM
Life at 9000rpm

If they cut those vents big enough you could use it as a dog house.
Old 09-30-2004, 03:33 PM
Walk the walk

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Looking at the picture it looks like a six speed but they don't offer it.
Old 09-30-2004, 03:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by iNteGraz92
how is the design of a navi system a problem if it's your own fault for not paying attention to the road? also, i don't understand your safety issue. you said you don't pay attention when you're using the navi in the tl or mdx... does it matter what car you are in? if you were in the volvo and the navi screen was open, wouldn't it be the same situation?
Looking at the Navi screen forces you to take your eyes off the road. In the TL and MDX, even if your not using it for navigation, you still have to take your eyes off the road to use the AC control. If the screen's located at eye level, you can use the Navi without taking your eyes off the road. In the Volvo, it's elevates out of the center of the dash so it's right in your site path. It's also controlled by a joystick that doesn't require you to take your hands off the wheel. Based on what you're saying, to be safe in an Acura, I should pull off the road to adjust the AC so that it's not "my fault for not paying attention to the road." This is one of the reasons some manufacturers require the car be parked when making detailed Navi entries.
Old 09-30-2004, 04:01 PM
10th Gear

I really dislike red interior lighting. It always comes across as Pontiac-tacky, regardless of whether it's a BMW or a Mazda you're sitting in.
Old 09-30-2004, 04:02 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks like the is300 navigation system. fugly.
Old 09-30-2004, 04:14 PM
Racer

Good old voice commands
Old 09-30-2004, 04:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
I wish I could hide my navigation screen like the G35, one it attracts less attention in a locked car, and second, it keeps the screen away from direct sunlight while the car is parked. LCD screens facing sunlight on a contant basis can cause discoloration and deterioration
Old 09-30-2004, 04:22 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Move to "Cars & Bikes" tomorrow.
Old 09-30-2004, 04:24 PM
04 TL 6MT NAVI ABP/Q

The RX8 NAVI is very similar.
Old 09-30-2004, 04:34 PM
Instructor

Talk to it!

Looking at the Navi screen forces you to take your eyes off the road. In the TL and MDX, even if your not using it for navigation, you still have to take your eyes off the road to use the AC control. If the screen's located at eye level, you can use the Navi without taking your eyes off the road. In the Volvo, it's elevates out of the center of the dash so it's right in your site path. It's also controlled by a joystick that doesn't require you to take your hands off the wheel. Based on what you're saying, to be safe in an Acura, I should pull off the road to adjust the AC so that it's not "my fault for not paying attention to the road." This is one of the reasons some manufacturers require the car be parked when making detailed Navi entries.
Every thing the TL can do can be activated by voice command, you don't have to look at anything...........................ever
Old 09-30-2004, 04:54 PM
Racer

"Climate control automatic" "Temperature 72 degrees" "Rear Defrost" "Radio select XM1" "CD play disc 3 track 9"

BTW. TL's navi is good but they nailed it with the RL's navi.
Old 09-30-2004, 04:55 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by edmiller9999
Check out the way Mazda "integrated" the nav system in the Mazda 6! OMG!!!!

Ed

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/disp...op&galleryID=5
I actually like this design. 1 it portects the screen when not in use from direct sun light. It is alos higher up in the drivers LOS. Cleans up dash when not in use.

I do wish Volvo had voise command though. I don't understand Barry saying volvos is safer then others as it has a joy stick on the wheel there fore you don't have to take your hands off. the TL you have voice commands for everything.
Old 09-30-2004, 05:03 PM
Drifting

Infiniti G35's design is much more horrendous than this imo. Looks so flimsy.
Old 09-30-2004, 05:13 PM
Kenpachi Teichou

I like it. The navigation is just as much a distraction as talking on a cell phone while your driving.
Old 09-30-2004, 05:22 PM
Drifting

The Volvos Navigation is in the safest spot, without question. Its in your line of sight as much as possible without obstructing the view. Its also slanted down just a tad so there is no glare or direct sunlight damage. Then it neatly tucks away in its home, ingeniously sliding into the dash. Doesn't the glare cause any problems in the TL. I don't see how it couldn't as its tilted upward?

Plus the Volvo does have a remote control for the passenger to assist in imputting info.
Old 09-30-2004, 05:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rontatuaf
Every thing the TL can do can be activated by voice command, you don't have to look at anything...........................ever
Except it you have the windows down, people are talking in the car, you're on the phone, the stereo's on, etc.
Old 09-30-2004, 06:58 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Infiniti's design isn't flimsy at all. Its actually very sturdy because there are no motors (just springs). I like it hidden better because, I hardly use the Nav. I'm too busy looking out for cops

Does anyone know how long these DVD readers last on the Navs. Whenever I start my car, I can hear mine whirring away...I'm thinking they go through so much use that the longevity is decreased. I bet these new cars with all these electronics just won't have the longevity of the older, more basic cars.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:07 PM
Team Anthracite

Except it you have the windows down, people are talking in the car, you're on the phone, the stereo's on, etc.
I never roll my windows down (seattle rain), i don't let people ride in my car (they dont care about it as much as I do), I've never had a map / hvac need so urgent it couldn't wait for the end of a call, and stereo mutes when you make a voice command anyway.

Joking aside, Its a matter of preference. Having the screen up higher may be better line of sight, but I don't think "safer." Anytime your eyes aren't on the road, its an unsafe condition, regardless of how close to line of site the screen is. Peripheral vision is just about as worthless as not looking at all when it comes to driving. (hiding the screen is not 'safer' either; people who are going to get into accidents because they watch the screen too much are going to get into accidents eventually anyway, screen or not. If its not nav, its a cell phone, or a notepad, or a freaking magazine.)

To the glare question, I haven't really noticed a problem with glare. only if I have the sunroof open and the sun is at the perfect angle from behind does it hit it just well enough to make it practically unreadable. I almost never encounter that, so I don't really consider glare a problem.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:12 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mylriahd
I never roll my windows down (seattle rain), i don't let people ride in my car (they dont care about it as much as I do), I've never had a map / hvac need so urgent it couldn't wait for the end of a call, and stereo mutes when you make a voice command anyway.

Joking aside, Its a matter of preference. Having the screen up higher may be better line of sight, but I don't think "safer." Anytime your eyes aren't on the road, its an unsafe condition, regardless of how close to line of site the screen is. Peripheral vision is just about as worthless as not looking at all when it comes to driving. (hiding the screen is not 'safer' either; people who are going to get into accidents because they watch the screen too much are going to get into accidents eventually anyway, screen or not. If its not nav, its a cell phone, or a notepad, or a freaking magazine.)

To the glare question, I haven't really noticed a problem with glare. only if I have the sunroof open and the sun is at the perfect angle from behind does it hit it just well enough to make it practically unreadable. I almost never encounter that, so I don't really consider glare a problem.
Cool Sammamish! I will be out rowing on the lake in about 2 hours!
Old 09-30-2004, 07:18 PM
one -n- only

some specs i read up on:

- All Wheel Drive (i'm pretty sure)
- 280hp and 260+ lb/ft tq
- TURBOcharged
- No Price Confirmed

for more pics http://www.plekkie.net/anton/ahura/mazda6mps.htm
Old 10-01-2004, 12:04 AM
Cruisin'

I had two initial intentions for getting the NAVI package: (1) it is better for resale, and (2) it serves as a good form of entertainment for guests. I agree that having the screen at eye sight is better for safety, but if you're driving with your spouse (like I do when we travel and likely need NAVI), it would be nice for her to see the screen and where it is we're headed. She also has the opportunity to update/make changes to the touch screen, as it is within her reach. If I need it when I'm alone, I've got voice commands so I don't have to take my eyes of the road.

In the end, it's all personal preference. I personally like seeing the big screen, whether I'm using navigation or not.
Old 10-01-2004, 06:42 AM
I'm Baaack!

Originally Posted by EZZ
I bet these new cars with all these electronics just won't have the longevity of the older, more basic cars.

I still have my Schwinn from '72
Old 10-01-2004, 09:45 AM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Brewmaster
I still have my Schwinn from '72
Is that a GM model?
Old 10-01-2004, 10:36 AM
Instructor

Barry, do you ever use your voice commands? If the stereo is on it automatically mutes when you activate voice. If you're already on the phone (and you don't have Bluetooth that plays through the sound system that mutes with voice) what the hell are you doing trying to manually set navigation commands at the same time. Shouldn't you leave at least a small portion of your attention span to actually driving the car..............any car?
I've never had any problem with voice commands with the windows down at anything under highway speeds, when I never have the windows down anyhow.
The screen is a matte finish and greatly reduces glare. That's never been an issue for me.
Old 10-01-2004, 11:46 AM
Instructor

having the Nav hide when not in use is the best thing there is. Not only is it a cleaner look, it also protects the screen from sun and other projectiles in the car.

The way it pops up in the G35 is too cool. It reminds me of TVs that pop out of cabinets
Old 10-01-2004, 01:00 PM

Different companies, different ways of doing things.
I like the Chrysler Pacifica, with the NAV under the speedometer. Very different and your eyes are right there.
Nav=trust the Japanese. We buy tons of Japanese electronics. Not anyone elses....
Acura makes great NAV.
Old 10-01-2004, 01:04 PM
100k miles club

where are the controls for the navi? i doubt it's voice activated. i'd probably have a hard time using it since i lean back when i drive. i would have to lean forward everytime i have to make changes

Edit by MOD rets: Move to Cars & Bikes forum
Old 10-01-2004, 01:12 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by w1n78
where are the controls for the navi? i doubt it's voice activated. i'd probably have a hard time using it since i lean back when i drive. i would have to lean forward everytime i have to make changes

Edit by MOD rets: Move to Cars & Bikes forum
They're all touch screen with different screens for different functions, but yes they are also voice activated if you choose to go that way.
Old 10-01-2004, 02:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,661 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally Posted by guia x
"Climate control automatic" "Temperature 72 degrees" "Rear Defrost" "Radio select XM1" "CD play disc 3 track 9"

BTW. TL's navi is good but they nailed it with the RL's navi.
Sounds like the Infiniti M45 .
Old 10-02-2004, 12:34 AM
All Hail the Chief

Navi placement aside, future Mazda 6 owners should just be glad that their cars are coming equipped with Navi's as an option!

I personally like my Navi on display at all times. Just personal preference. I'll put it on the A/C menu or the category select menu, especially at night, just to enjoy the cool bluish hues radiating from the screen. Enhances the driving experience IMO.

I would love to see a buttonless/knobless interior on my dream car. Nothing but integrated screens and voice commands!
Old 10-03-2004, 03:42 PM
Abyss Boy

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Different companies, different ways of doing things.
I like the Chrysler Pacifica, with the NAV under the speedometer. Very different and your eyes are right there.
Nav=trust the Japanese. We buy tons of Japanese electronics. Not anyone elses....
Acura makes great NAV.
IMHO, Chrysler wasn't very smart in placing the nav under the speedometer.
1. They will have to move it if they ever want to have one with a bigger screen. I love the fact they practically doubled the size of the TL's navi screen from '03 to '04.

2. By keeping the nav tucked away in the instrument cluster, they are preventing the passenger from being able to help search and make adjustments while you are driving.

Just my .