How easy is it to...

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 10:30 PM
To punish and enslave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How easy is it to...

... go to a dealership and test drive a car. Whenever I'm bored, I always want to go to dealerships and drive some of their cars. I never end up doing it because I think they wouldn't just let a 17 year old kid take a test drive of some of their nicest car. Please help me out! Thanks
Old 10-21-2006, 10:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am wondering the same thing, though more for prospective vehicles. I want to test drive the new RDX, MDX, and TL-s, but I figure I have no chance of them letting me do so.

Mike
Old 10-21-2006, 11:09 PM
Holler at your boy

If you are under 21 its pretty hard unless you get a chill salesman who will drive it off the lot and then let you take if for a spin. 8/10 times they know you are wasting their time so do not exspect much.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

well when I was 17-18 I had test driven a S4, G35, TL-S, mini cooper S, STI, Cobra, Mustang GT, R32, many intergra's (GS-R and modded GS) and a Volvo R60 twice the auto and the manual. Thats all I can think of for now. Its not too hard all I did was walk in there like I knew what I wanted and asked for it. Dress respectable and it might have helped that I usually took my grandpas car when I went in there. He has a E430. Ask to see the car check it out throughly like you are looking to buy and ask to take it for a drive. They will usually go with you but you can still test it out. Floored every car I drove. Depends on the sales man. There were a couple that let me just take it out but thats all on the sales man.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:29 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Depends on the salesman. I've had some that have given me the keys to a car and told me t ocome back in 1/2 an hour - and I was 16. All I had to do was let them make a copy of my license. I was shocked.

Even now, I just go to the dealership, tell them what car I'm thinking about, and I get to drive it.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
any chance your dad would go w/you? might sound kind of weak but i'd be willing to go w/my son in a few years when he's old enough.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:03 AM
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
i go whenever i have time and if a new car came out and looks interesting. i used to do it alot when i was 17, 18.. i usually walked in casually, talked like i knew what i wanted and tried to stay away from talking deals until i got to test drive it. then i would talk like the car doesnt really suit me and that i test drove another car beforehand that felt alittle bit better and more comfortable. so i would walk away before they started throwing numbers at me and wasted 30-40 minutes of my time
Old 10-22-2006, 02:44 AM

I don't see why they won't let you test drive a car at age 17. Just tell them you have a good paying job and you are in the market for a new car.
It probably would be better if you showed up with a parent who could be your cosigner. Just be careful and know that someone will end up buying that car, so drive the car like it was going to be yours and don't abuse it.
Old 10-22-2006, 04:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by aaronnn
i go whenever i have time and if a new car came out and looks interesting. i used to do it alot when i was 17, 18.. i usually walked in casually, talked like i knew what i wanted and tried to stay away from talking deals until i got to test drive it. then i would talk like the car doesnt really suit me and that i test drove another car beforehand that felt alittle bit better and more comfortable. so i would walk away before they started throwing numbers at me and wasted 30-40 minutes of my time
Thats basically what I have done compare it to other cars in its class and say you need some time to think it over, like he said it will save you time cause they always want to talk numbers.
Old 10-22-2006, 04:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
I was dressed in typical weekend clothes and I got to test drive the car I asked for. a 2003 CL type S and a 2002 CL Type S....I could have driven any car that I wanted.........
Old 10-22-2006, 11:29 AM
To punish and enslave

Thanks! Well I already planned out what cars I will drive and I already mapped out the procedure (Yeah, I was that bored again). I will arrive the dealership in my mom's TL. I'll tell the salesman that the TL is my car and I am already bored with it and in the market for a sportier car. I'll take a look at some cars and then make an approach to the car I want to test drive. I'll ask if I can take the test drive and hopefully he lets me. After the test drive, I'll come back, say good things about the car and say that it ranks high on my list. If the salesman starts talking numbers, I'll just say that this was the first car I test drove from my LONG list of cars to choose from. I hope it works
Old 10-22-2006, 11:34 AM
101 years of heartache...

go with a family member, works every time. The only car I have test driven myself is a Chevy Aveo Hatch 5MT (i've always wanted to drive one )

Next is a 335i, as soon as I get back home for a little.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:18 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

When I had time that was a hobby of mine, going to dealerships and test driving cars... I got pretty good at it. It helped that I looked older then I was at the time, I did this from when I was 18 to about 20, I test drove the first 330i coupe that was at the dealership, SL500, S500, the first boxsterS at the local dealership(though they wouldn't budge on the 911 turbo), Z06, S4, A6, H1, S2000 and countless "normal" cars from all manufacturer's. Believe it or not the ford, chevy and other inexpensive car's were hardest for me to take for a joy ride, in particular with my story.

First of all, like I said I've looked like I was 29 since I was 18, I also drove a new cadillac at the time and kept it spotless all the time, I wore a real cartier watch and decent to high end cloths, NO sneakers, always shoes. Most important was I acted as if I would never discuss personal or business with these people nor would I under any circumstances give them my drivers license... their insurance does not require it, they take it and run a credit check while you are on the test drive. I would only give them my first name and I had a great story... At first I would tell them I just graduated from grad school(from RPI, major in mechanical engineering, minor in business at the lally school) and my parents were going to buy me any car I wanted, I just had to figure out what I wanted. Later in my career I changed the story to I just sold my business and have a HUGE check due in any day and want to buy a new car as soon as it shows up... you should see the sales people when you tell them this, anything you want you will get. Its important to stay in charachter, remember you have no intention of actually purchasing this car, but you have to act like it is the one, never give them your contact info, tell them you are a very private person... you have a sick relative or something, just tell them when the check shows up you will get ahold of them right away(or when you make your choice of which car you want your parents to buy)... this way there is no need for them to run your credit to begin with, and they feel it will be a quick easy sale and you won't haggle much over price. By the time I got bored with my little game, or maybe started feeling bad for the poor car sales scumbags, on a sunny day I could test drive pretty much any car I wanted to with out even walking into the dealership. Just look at the car outside and eventually a salesmen will come up to you, tell them your story quickly and with in a minute or two they had the keys and I would be on the road. I learned a lot about how shadey car dealerships are, car sales people are NOT to be trusted, and more importantly to me, I got to drive all the cars I was curious about and had first hand experience behind the wheel.

Ironically when I purchased my last two cars I didn't even test drive them, I guess I grew up or I just knew what I wanted.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:34 PM
My M45 loves to eat rice

I went into a dealership at 19 years old with one of my friends, dressed in normal teenager clothes. I asked the salesman to test-drive an Infiniti M45 Sport with every option, and he took the time out to let me drive the car with my friend in the frontseat, even letting me play around with the interior gadgets and he let me hit the gas a few times as well.

I came back two weeks later and walked out with a brand-new fully loaded '06 crimson roulette M45 Sport, and I got a hell of a lease deal on it too.

I think if you show the salesman that you know enough about the car and you have done your research and you're mature enough to handle a test-drive, then anything is possible. Just don't go in asking for the keys right away - try to prove to the dealer that you'll actually come back if everything goes smoothly. Best bet.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:01 AM
Team Owner

Received 598 Likes on 416 Posts
It definately depends on the salesman. It will definately be easier if your parent goes with you. You can always say when you walk in that you dad has a lot of money and is giving you $20K towards a new car and the rest comes from your job.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:12 PM
To punish and enslave

So I actually tried to go for a test drive. I started at a Honda dealer, wanting to drive the new Civic Si. They didn't have any new ones so I couldn't pop the question. But the salesman and I went to check out one of the older Civic Si's. I waited for him to ask me for the test drive but it never came.

Then I go to the Mazda dealership to try the 3 5-door. This guy let me but I had to ask, I think he wished that I wouldn't ask. One thing I learned is that salespeople do not want you there unless you can discuss prices.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:46 PM
how handsome I am

Originally Posted by TL CHROMETIDE
So I actually tried to go for a test drive. I started at a Honda dealer, wanting to drive the new Civic Si. They didn't have any new ones so I couldn't pop the question. But the salesman and I went to check out one of the older Civic Si's. I waited for him to ask me for the test drive but it never came.

Then I go to the Mazda dealership to try the 3 5-door. This guy let me but I had to ask, I think he wished that I wouldn't ask. One thing I learned is that salespeople do not want you there unless you can discuss prices.
Duh. lol.