How do I start to learn the art of car restoration???

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 03:37 PM
I have Lucy tied up in

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do I start to learn the art of car restoration???

Sorry if this topic has been discussed before, but I have been a car enthusiast for as long as I can remember and I would like to try take up the hobby of car restoration. The problem is I don’t have a very deep knowledge of engine mechanics or I’m sure the knowledge in other areas needed to do this, but I would like to try to learn.

My question is where do I start? I don’t have time to enroll in a mechanics class, but I do have the time to start reading and/or other recommendations. I know that becoming good at car restoration does not happen overnight, but what recommendations do some of you have that might help me get on the right path to make this hobby a reality.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice…
Old 10-13-2008, 04:02 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
hmmmmmmm....
Old 10-13-2008, 04:19 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
Car restoration can be a very rewarding and exhilarating hobby. It can also be a very expensive and frustrating one if not done correctly.

What sort of car are you intending on restoring? To what point are you considering restoring it? Driver? Garage queen? Faithful or interpretive? If you have an approximate idea what car you want to restore, try to learn as much about that particular car as you can. Learn to identify the various models and equipment available to that particular model. For example, if it's a car such as a Mustang, learn about the various trim levels and engine configurations. This way, when you do find the car you want to restore, you have a much easier way of telling what equipment is original and what has been changed throughout the years.

Investigate the availability and price of parts. There are generally NOS (new old stock) or reproduction parts available. Many reproduction parts are now of excellent quality, although many argue they are not "authentic" to the car. An early MGA for example, has many vendors available to basically rebuild the entire car from reproduction parts. Finding a used or NOS front fender for the same car, however, is next to impossible. Another source of parts are used parts, but they can be quite expensive and of questionable quality. The first car I restored was a 1967 Shelby GT500 that once completed, basically consisted of cannibalized parts of other cars. The other cars that have followed have consisted of either dated coded or NOS replacements for the most part.

At what point do you want to start the restoration? There are plenty of cars out there that need to be restored, but basically need to be started in the rawest form. Try to find a car that has above all decent or good sheet metal. Metal work is very expensive and time consuming. I would not consider a car that needs either a great deal of panel or unibody replacement. Mechanical work is far easier. It may sound intimidating, but it is less expensive that body restoration. It is also something you can easily do yourself.

Finally, only restore a car for personal enjoyment. Do NOT restore a car for financial gain. The collector car market is softening, and often the price of a restoration exceeds the appraised value. Restore a car because you enjoy it and will take satisfaction with the finished product. Whether it be a Pinto or Mustang. Civic or Porsche. Restoring a car can be very rewarding and addicting. As soon as one is completed you may decide to do another.

Find a car in decent shape, learn as you go, and enjoy it! Need any input, feel free to contact me privately.

Terry

Oh yah, one last thing: Invest in good tools. Take care of them and they will last you many years.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:27 PM
Disinformation Terminator

Excellent post by Terry, I'll only add one thing. Identify the nearest restoration shops to your home, and go hit those guys up for general questions or information. They may even take you on (either for free or nominal pay) part time to help with one of their cars. Then you can get your hands dirty to see if you really want to tackle something like that.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Tech school auto body. They are a great place to learn all sorts of different techniques. I spent 4 years in it to learn for my own benefit.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:30 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
see terry's post.

personally, i bought an old car and had someone who knew what they were doing help me out. learned a lot. very rewarding, and expensive.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
I consider my '66 Mustang project "My 8 year old mistake"

If you don't have the time or the money, don't bother.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:53 PM
o1s
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
i am pretty good at taking on projects way over my head and barely breaking even when i sell them. i'm actually looking at a 61 studebaker golden hawk right now. i know it will take me forever to make it a decent driver but i love fins!(except played out caddy fins)
Old 10-15-2008, 09:06 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by Shoofin
I consider my '66 Mustang project "My 8 year old mistake"

I don't know why I torture myself with new projects

To the OP, there are a lot of great books out there, start there. But basically, you need a lot of patience, time, and money.....we've built a lot of cars, they ALWAYS cost twice as much and take twice as long.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Originally Posted by CLpower
I don't know why I torture myself with new projects

To the OP, there are a lot of great books out there, start there. But basically, you need a lot of patience, time, and money.....we've built a lot of cars, they ALWAYS cost twice as much and take twice as long.
Take my car!! Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!!!!
Old 10-17-2008, 10:34 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
I hate fords (plus, we did just finish a '66.....and still have the sunbeam to wrap up)

NO MORE PROJECTS!!!!!
Old 10-17-2008, 10:55 AM
One on the right for me

I'm looking for another project car. Wanted to do another 67 but....

Is your Mustang blue or appear blue in pictures? I remember someone posting pics about their project car a year or two ago.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:39 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Also make sure you have the garage space as it may sit there for a long time.

I don't really have the time to restore a car but I wouldn't mind doing a semi-restore with a replica kit. It still requires sourcing the parts and mechnical work but the body work is done.

http://www.factoryfive.com/rdsterhome.html
Old 10-17-2008, 07:05 PM
One on the right for me

^ - I considered doing a factor five a few years ago. Still playing with the idea - I just need the garage space.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:30 PM
I have Lucy tied up in

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice, as I said I'm still not sure if this is something I want to get into but, I want to learn more...

As my first purchase, I decided to buy

http://www.amazon.com/Restore-Your-C...d_bxgy_b_img_b

I have heard it is a good starter book and at least I should learn what this is going to take if I wan to take on a project...

As far as garage and tools are concerned I'm looking into renting garage space from a few places in Chicago, we'll see what happens...
Old 10-20-2008, 03:24 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by subinf
^ - I considered doing a factor five a few years ago. Still playing with the idea - I just need the garage space.
might be best to start with a good kit car so you can get an idea of what really is involved, and all the really hard stuff is already done. IMO it's a good way to get your mechanical skills sharp enough to fee,l really confident doing a frame up restore, metal work OTOH is probably best learnt in a class, or from an old pro.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:05 PM
spaz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'm in a similar boat to you
but instead of restoring an older car i just want to build a car from the ground up like an older integra or 240sx.

i wish there was a summer course that i could take in something like this.