how to change trailing arm bushings on an integra, and thanks to sly raskal

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 11:53 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
how to change trailing arm bushings on an integra, and thanks to sly raskal

We got an estimate from the acura dealer for $500 to replace the rear trailing arm bushings which were cracked beyond being useful.

Sly Raskal was very generous in loaning me his brand new TAB tool. So i want to thank him for this to be possible.

the part number for the tab is 52385-sr3-000. I am sure this works for many years of the integra, but ours is a 97 so check with your stealership.

The only tools you will need for this job is a;

12, 14, and 17 mm socket with ratchet and extension.
some sort of breaking bar, or something that will extend the leverage for the ratchet

jack stands

jack

creeper if you have one

blunt object(not for throwing)

the drivers side was the 1st side i replaced. It took me about 60-75 minutes because it was the 1st side and once i figured things out the other side only took 45 min to remove and replace.

i used my big jack and jacked up both sides at once using the tow hook at the lift point. I removed the rims.

remove this bolt, it is under the rear door

remove the 2 bolts that hold the bushing to the car, there is one on each side.

make sure you disconnect this cable. it will use the 12 mm socket

you have 2 options in the next step. One you can remove these two bolts like i did, or you can remove the one bolt at the bottom of the pic. This is your choice..

this next step is important. **** make sure you look on the bottom of the bushing, There will be an arrow pointing down. ****make sure to mark this on the trailing arm. Most likely there will already be a white dot from the factory or stealership. This will help you align the new bushing.

also remember how far in the bushing is set. It pretty much is in line with the lip of the trailing arm.

to remove the bushing, you must make sure to lube up the threads, th pointed tip, and i also put some grease on thehole of the cup.

There is an arm that says UP, make sure this arm is on the top.
******make sure you attach the wire around the other side of the rtab so it does not fly out, IT only flew a few feet, but still.*****

this is the condition of one of the bushings. It is pretty much broke

Clean the area around the opening and i lubed it with some grease to make the install a little easier. I also greased the outside of the bushing to make it slide in easier.

make sure you have the arrow pointing down so it is aligned.

One side of the bushing is longer than the other. place the cup from the tool on the shortest side, this is the side that will face the outside of the car.

you can just set the bushing in the hole and line it up, if it was like mine, it will sit in placce without messing with it too much.

Once it is lined up place the tool in place and crank it down. make sure to not crank it too far in. once you get close to getting it in position remove the tool and check it's position. If it needs to go in farther, reattach the tool and push it in until it is in correctly.

Once this is installed, you can reattach everything. i don't think it matters what order you do it in.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:13 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Awesome dude! I'm glad to hear/see that you had success in installing the new TABs.

Don't forget to get an alignment done on your car. :wink:

Also, what are your plans for the old and cracked TABs? I'll take em if you don't need em. I can use the metal bar in the middle of them for a future application. If you ever plan on tracking your integra when it's reached it's end of life and plan on replacing the TAB with polyurethane bushings, the metal rods in the stock TAB need to be reused. Hence my request.

Anyway, congrats on the install! Regarding the price of the install the dealership gave you, did that include alignment?

You aren't going to believe this, as I mentioned in my messages to ya my car is in the shop right now. I was getting my rotors/pads replaced, camber kit installed and an alignment. Well, my TABs were much worse than they expected and needed to be replaced. It was only $300 more to replace them so I had them do it because since I was already getting the alignment done, it saved me that cost. So down the road I'll replace the TABs (again) with the polyurethane set I already have. I wish I had more time because I was planning on doing that stuff myself. Schools and work is owning my time right now.

I can't wait to get my car back though, I had a set of brembo blanks, Hawk HPS brake pads, Motul RBF600 brake fluid, ingalls front and rear camber kit and the TABs installed.

Last edited by Sly Raskal; 02-15-2009 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:22 PM
Team Owner

dAllison, do you mind if I share your write-up with my friends on the Integra board I'm a member of?
Old 02-15-2009, 12:27 PM
registered pw

Originally Posted by Sly Raskal
dAllison, do you mind if I share your write-up with my friends on the Integra board I'm a member of?
no problem at all, i'll send the old bushing to you also.

I don't know if i really need an alignment, i'll check the tires in the future for wear.

Do i need an alignment?
Old 02-15-2009, 12:29 PM
registered pw

do you need just the metal tab in the middle or the whole thing?
Old 02-15-2009, 12:31 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dallison
no problem at all, i'll send the old bushing to you also.

I don't know if i really need an alignment, i'll check the tires in the future for wear.

Do i need an alignment?
Thanks!

From what everyone, enthusiasts and dealership have told me, anytime you work on the suspension you should get an alignment to play it safe.

Last edited by Sly Raskal; 02-15-2009 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:33 PM
Team Owner

do you need just the metal tab in the middle or the whole thing?
Thanks again dude! I actually just need that metal rod that goes through the bushing, but I understand it's a tedious process getting it out of the rubber bushing so I'll take care of that work. From what I've read from others that have installed a polyurethane set you gotta cut and/or burn off the old rubber and then use a solvent and wire brush to get the remaining bits of rubber off. I can do that little by little leading up to when I finally do get my polyurethane set installed.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:40 PM
registered pw

no problem,, i'll get em out in ups on monday
Old 02-15-2009, 12:45 PM
Team Owner

no problem,, i'll get em out in ups on monday
Suite!