Is Honda's quality too close to Acura?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2016 | 12:22 PM
Team Owner

Thats because Acura is not a luxury brand anymore. It's Honda+
Old 01-09-2016 | 12:26 PM
Team Owner

Even if I had the money and were looking to buy a new super car, I'd avoid the new NSX like the plague. I don't want to be caught dead driving the world's most hated car. And you know whenever you get stopped at a traffic light, people will be like "THAT guy bought THAT car? What an idiot."
Old 01-09-2016 | 01:08 PM
Azine Jabroni

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Honda (not Acura) is finding its way again.

The new 2016 Civic Touring impressed the shit out of me at the auto show.
I had to do a double take when I saw a newer Civic in a parking lot.

At the end of the day, if Honda doesn't intend on making all of its Acura models rear biased AWD, they should focus on building up the Honda brand.
Old 01-09-2016 | 03:11 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by hddnav
Hey, I have a Honda gas-powered rototiller at home. Pretty nice for the price!
Don't forget bikes. My first bike was a CB750. And IIRC Honda is the biggest engine maker in the world.

Such disrespect and ignorance when I hear people dis Honda lol...

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Even if I had the money and were looking to buy a new super car, I'd avoid the new NSX like the plague. I don't want to be caught dead driving the world's most hated car. And you know whenever you get stopped at a traffic light, people will be like "THAT guy bought THAT car? What an idiot."
Don't think the NSX is that hated...online forums and car reviewers can be an echo chamber.

Also most people can't tell a tail pipe from a hole in the ground...they'll see a NSX and say "OMG ITS A FERRARI!" And that dude's friend will say "Dude that's the new lambo Hurrrcan, dumbass" And the last dude will go: "Wow, obviously it's the new Corvette, I read they were going mid engine!!"

The styline and MR layout and sound is still completely awesome and great and you will get tons of thumbs up and stares and smiles everywhere.

Very few ppl out in public really care that much to know the NSX...let alone have an opinion on it...

If I win the PB I'll gladly order a NSX

Last edited by nist7; 01-09-2016 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-10-2016 | 05:21 PM
Safety Car

Check out this video about how informed the average joe is on cars:

Truly eye opening. Anyone who frequents forums like AZine or any other would immediately recognize those lines and shape as a Chevy....but these dudes are all talking about German and imports...guesses for what this car is by the focus group: Audi, Lexus, BMW, Tesla, costing 50k, 65k, 60k, 80k...

Last edited by nist7; 01-10-2016 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-10-2016 | 09:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Yeah but in the end would one of those car snobs actually buy one?
Old 01-10-2016 | 09:06 PM
Team Owner

Not once they figure out it's a Chevy
Old 01-10-2016 | 09:10 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
Yeah but in the end would one of those car snobs actually buy one?
Not once they figure out it's a Chevy

^^^Yup pretty much.

I like that dude that goes "Wow this DEFINITELY changes my opinion on Chevys...."

That styling looks pretty fugly to me and I'd be less impressed with the features (which many lower end models are starting to have....Accord/Camry/et al) so I will likely not be a good focus group candidate....

But just to show how ill-informed the average consumer is and how rare our breed is as car enthusiasts....
Old 01-10-2016 | 09:42 PM
CL-s6 4 lyfe

Originally Posted by RPhilMan1
As they say, no 6MT, no care.

Remember how sporty Acura used to be? Where did that go?

Acura has lost its identity.
Very true but those 4g tl sh-awd 6 speeds, although very ugly, are not all that slow...

Would love to try a pull against one lol
Old 01-10-2016 | 09:53 PM
Team Owner

I have a hard time believing those commercials are legit. Chevy must specifically look for people who live in underground caves with a massive stone covering the entrance. I don't know a single guy who can't identify what brand of car he is looking at.
Old 01-10-2016 | 09:57 PM
Safety Car

I have a hard time believing those commercials are legit. Chevy must specifically look for people who live in underground caves with a massive stone covering the entrance. I don't know a single guy who can't identify what brand of car he is looking at.
Oh definitely. I agree with you...those commercials and groups are super super cherry picked. They probably had to go through dozens of groups (or select from a carefully scanned group of people) before getting the right group for the commercial shots

It's like those Tonight Show with Jay Leno or Jimmy Kimmel segments where they show interviews on the streets of people that sound like they are dumb as rocks about world events/geography/facts/etc.

I'm sure they had focus groups of knowledgeable people and not get compeltely AMAZED that chevy is so AWESOME!

It's a special group of people it seems....brand snobs that know little and have a very stereotyped image of american brands AND overprice cars based on such "luxury" features......lol

That why luxury dealers love them...willing to pay out the wazoo for features and for the brand name probably
Old 01-10-2016 | 10:03 PM
Team Owner

I'm buying a Chevy.

Chevy > Acura

Old 01-10-2016 | 10:51 PM
Safety Car

I'm buying a Chevy.

Chevy > Acura

lol....What?! This 80,000 dollar Acura is actually a 22,000 Chevy?!??! Gimme one nao!!!!!!!!
Old 01-11-2016 | 05:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Current Accord is excellent. I'd like to see how Honda is going to do the next gen to keep up said excellence. New Civic looks awesome.

It looks like Honda is really investing in its bread and butter, but is not 100% sure on Acura. TLX is a good first step. Contents of RLX improving but too little, too late for that clusterfsck.

As I've said before, I'm hoping they have something for me by the time my lease is over in 20 months. Else Accord or back to Cadi V-series for me.