Help!! for Tint ticket

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 11:47 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Help!! for Tint ticket

Situation: Got pulled over in NYC bout 54 st near FAO Schwarts for tinted front windows. Officer writes a ticket, another officer tells me "its Good Friday, just plead not guilty, go to court, and we'll say we forget." Ticket officer comes back, puts the light test thingy to my windows and it reads "11% transmitted light." On the ticket he writes "Driver side window tinted 11%." I leave.

I got my court date. now, whats my excuse?

My initial thought is to go along with it:
1) "I didn't know theres a law on tinted windows"

2)"the shop that tinted the windows for me said this is the darkest they can go legally. i wanted to keep the inside of my car cool during the summer [which is the HONEST FREAKIN TRUTH]"

3) "I don't think the car is illegally tinted, i dont recalled officer "so and so" using a light transmitter to measure. No the car is not around, i took the LIRR all the way here. [my word against theirs... so i dunno]

4) Go to a mechanic, get them to write me a documentation of removal of the tints. [ Then why the heck i pleaded not guilty in the first place???] Bring that documentation to the hearing and pay off the fees.

So, this is where im asking for you help. What would you do... or have done in your case? This is my first time going to a hearing... and im young and open to new experiences. Please advise or help! Thank you in advance!
Old 05-08-2007, 02:01 PM
P.

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
There is probably nothing you can do. You have already been cited!!! What they are gonna tell you is you have a certain time frame to strip the tint. Just retint the windows a lighter shade to comply with the law, thats about all you can do. Sorry man but life is a bitch!!
Old 05-08-2007, 02:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Plead guilty, pay the fine and use photoshop to show you took off the tint. Since they will ask for proof of removal.

At least this is what I did.

Any other excuse might just piss the judge off. Hes heard them all.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:29 PM
Racer

thanks for your help everyone.

i have an excuse. let me know what you think of it.

i go into court with a documentation from some shop saying that they removed the tint already. If they ask why didnt i just plead guilty in the first place, ill say

"i didnt know their was a law on tints, but i researched it and found that there is. by that time i had already sent in my not guilty plead. couple weeks prior to this meeting i had the tints already removed and heres a document of it."

this way i can try to get away without having to show photographic proof of the removal? thanks for your opinion and help!!!
Old 05-08-2007, 11:36 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
pay the fine, deal with it. They willHAVE to see the car, don't play stupid.....courts hate that! And don't get caught lying over something so retarded

btw, I have to take mine off tomorrow as I need to have it removed by friday for court As well as putting my front plate on w/ double sided tape

I have my appt to retint on saturday
Old 05-09-2007, 12:41 AM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
"ignorance is not an excuse"

just pay the ticket, how much is it for? I never get a second look when im in the city. Its always the fagot ass suburban cops that do nothing all day that write me tickets.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:03 AM
I

Received 58 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by CLpower
pay the fine, deal with it. They willHAVE to see the car, don't play stupid.....courts hate that! And don't get caught lying over something so retarded

btw, I have to take mine off tomorrow as I need to have it removed by friday for court As well as putting my front plate on w/ double sided tape

Wait, I thought as long as you pay the fine, you don't have to take the tints off (although they recommend it since they can give you the same ticket over and over and it's not a moving violation) So what's the point of taking the tints off if you're gonna retint? Are you gonna plead not guilty? I've never gotten pulled over in Illinois, and I've had tints on all my cars for the last 5 years...I guess it helps having license plates that look like they are out of state at the first glance.

Last edited by FastAcura; 05-09-2007 at 08:05 AM.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:21 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Originally Posted by FastAcura
Wait, I thought as long as you pay the fine, you don't have to take the tints off (although they recommend it since they can give you the same ticket over and over and it's not a moving violation) So what's the point of taking the tints off if you're gonna retint? Are you gonna plead not guilty? I've never gotten pulled over in Illinois, and I've had tints on all my cars for the last 5 years...I guess it helps having license plates that look like they are out of state at the first glance.

Out here it varies by city. I've gotten tickets in some where it's just a $75 fine, you don't have to remove. Some it's a $10 fix it ticket and you have to have them inspect the car and remove.

I got pulled over on a toll road out here because the cop didn't "see" my transponder. I'll admit, I have it hidden so you can't see it from the outside, but it's a bullshit move. He then proceeded to write me up for no front plate and window tint He initially was going to give me a warning till he came back and said "I see you have over a dozen of these tickets"
Old 05-09-2007, 09:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
You suppose to take off the tint when you get a ticket for it in IL. Not allowed any tint on the front side windows.

I had to go to court to show them "proof" that i removed the tint, then they just made me pay a fine. Nothing on my record. By proof, I just showed them a picture of my car without the tint. (windows were rolled down, they didnt know)

Gotta pay to play.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:53 AM
I

I stand corrected, I did get pulled over once, partially because of tints and got three warnings (no registration - forgot it at home, no front license plate and window tints) The officer told me to remove the tints by a certain date, or next time it would be a ticket. I never removed the tints. I figured if someone is willing to pay the price, they wouldn't MAKE YOU take them off since they are not moving violations and don't go on your record as moving violations. What could they possibly do besides write a ticket? Do the fines go up after each offense?
Old 05-09-2007, 12:23 PM
Racer

in NYC if you plead guilty you have to pay the fine AND remove the tint. The tint is considered an "equipment" violation and therefore the only way to fix that is to remove it if you want the violation to be dropped. paying it off wont solve the problem... and i REALLY dont want to take off the tint. fudge... guess thats why im tryin to come up wit some kind of excuse...
Old 05-09-2007, 01:33 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have Kentucky plates but 15% tint on my black CL, and interior is black so it looks ever darker. Been hangin around NYC, north NJ or a year now and no cops even look at me twice. Do they usually just ignore cars from Southern states b/c they know the laws are different or can I still get pulled over and get a real ticket? Just been wondering about that ever since I came up to school here. I can't live without tint!
Old 05-09-2007, 01:39 PM
I

Originally Posted by TaxiDriver
i have Kentucky plates but 15% tint on my black CL, and interior is black so it looks ever darker. Been hangin around NYC, north NJ or a year now and no cops even look at me twice. Do they usually just ignore cars from Southern states b/c they know the laws are different or can I still get pulled over and get a real ticket? Just been wondering about that ever since I came up to school here. I can't live without tint!
Yea, I figured that's why I haven't really been pulled over. I'm pretty sure they don't wanna pull someone over and then look stupid when you point out that it's legal in the state that the car is registered in.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:54 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

smart man.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:00 PM
Drifting

it was on the car when you bought it?
Old 05-09-2007, 02:08 PM
mmmmmm....

Originally Posted by daNNiebOixDD
Situation: Got pulled over in NYC bout 54 st near FAO Schwarts for tinted front windows. Officer writes a ticket, another officer tells me "its Good Friday, just plead not guilty, go to court, and we'll say we forget." Ticket officer comes back, puts the light test thingy to my windows and it reads "11% transmitted light." On the ticket he writes "Driver side window tinted 11%." I leave.

I got my court date. now, whats my excuse?

My initial thought is to go along with it:
1) "I didn't know theres a law on tinted windows"
no, dumbest answer you can give.
2)"the shop that tinted the windows for me said this is the darkest they can go legally. i wanted to keep the inside of my car cool during the summer [which is the HONEST FREAKIN TRUTH]"
do you honestly think that they will believe this BS?
3) "I don't think the car is illegally tinted, i dont recalled officer "so and so" using a light transmitter to measure. No the car is not around, i took the LIRR all the way here. [my word against theirs... so i dunno]
No.
4) Go to a mechanic, get them to write me a documentation of removal of the tints. [ Then why the heck i pleaded not guilty in the first place???] Bring that documentation to the hearing and pay off the fees.
not going to work because they are going to check to make sure they are off.
So, this is where im asking for you help. What would you do... or have done in your case? This is my first time going to a hearing... and im young and open to new experiences. Please advise or help! Thank you in advance!
I think you should just remove the tint and get it redone with the legal limit.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:54 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have some friends who are police officers in NYC. you really have no choice but to take it off and have it re-tinted later. if you get pulled over again and you have an outstanding tint ticket, they can impound your car for continuing to drove around with 'defective' equipment after being warned once already. (it's similar to a busted tail light)

i think having tint in nyc is just asking for trouble. come the end of the month and cops are looking to fill their quota for the month, the easiest ticket to give out is a tint ticket because in NY, any tint on the front windows is illegal. just my two cents.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:43 PM
teh Senior Instigator

so annoyed right now, I just spent an hour taking my tint off and double sided taping my front plate, went to get it written off and the cop didn't even check my car, he just signed off the ticket
Old 05-09-2007, 10:02 PM
mmmmmm....

so annoyed right now, I just spent an hour taking my tint off and double sided taping my front plate, went to get it written off and the cop didn't even check my car, he just signed off the ticket
Old 05-10-2007, 11:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Get a letter from a doctor saying how sensitive and dangerous light is to your body, and you need the dark tint to keep the sun out...
Old 05-11-2007, 10:32 PM
Racer

thanks for your help everyone. im just gonna go to court and say the truth i guess. worse comes to worse ill just take the tint off and retint lighter in the front. lol i came to my senses today after my final exam. there ARE better stuff to life than worryin bout a ticket. =]

thanks ya all!! and best of luck for you guys and your problems!!
Old 05-11-2007, 11:01 PM
Drives With Hands

thanks for your help everyone. im just gonna go to court and say the truth i guess. worse comes to worse ill just take the tint off and retint lighter in the front. lol i came to my senses today after my final exam. there ARE better stuff to life than worryin bout a ticket. =]
Good man.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:39 PM
NiGhT rIdEr

thanks ya all!! and best of luck for you guys and your problems!!
i got a ticket here in brooklyn. i went to fight it because i have P.A. plates and the judge reduced it to half price. i have a bunch of friends that get tickets all the time for tints and not once did they have to remove the tint. just pay it and youll be fine.

next time u see a cop make sure to drop all the windows.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:49 PM
'07 NBP TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So... what if you fine another car (same model, same generation, same color) with legal tint and just swap the license plate. Go in and have it checked. Will they check the vin#?
Old 05-21-2007, 01:07 PM
NiGhT rIdEr

Originally Posted by Porkipine
So... what if you fine another car (same model, same generation, same color) with legal tint and just swap the license plate. Go in and have it checked. Will they check the vin#?
i accually did that wit my friends 99, i put a news paper in the pix so it would show the dat but i never used the pix. the judge cut the price in half so i just paid it.