Help me decide on my second commute car

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 08:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My wife has just found a nice looking (stock) 2005 Accord 4Dr V6 with automation transmission.
I know this is not a fuel saving vehicle but I think we could live with it.

We will be checking it out this weekend and hope everything is fine.

BTW, where should we pay extra attention when looking at the latest gen Accord in general? Please don't tell me the transmission is as bad as TL.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:10 PM
Got VTEC?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go for the Si, it's a great car with great reliability and nice looks and is very quick if you get the 2006 version. The Mini is nice but the interior is very cheap IMO. I'm not into wagons so I'm kinda biased on the WRX. Anyways, that's my

Matt
Old 03-08-2007, 09:24 PM
Burning Brakes

used rsx
Old 03-08-2007, 11:20 PM
styling on you

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Civic or Mazda 3 ftw!
Old 03-13-2007, 12:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Folks,
Just want to provide an update and close out our search on our commute car. We finally bought a 2004 Honda Accord 4DR V6. It has approximately 26.8k miles on the odometer. The car was very clean and in great condition. The owner kept all the service records and all the service was done at the dealer. I was amazed the owner was really taking care of the care.
The ride is very smooth and the engine is very quiet compare to our 02TL-S. The car has some power but not as agressive as TL-S. I cannot hear the roar from Vtec on this car. Anyway, it is going to be a great car for my wife.

Here is not so fun part. This is the first time we bought a used car. May be my I did not do enough research. Since we stay in California, we have to pay sales tax on the car. This cost us an additional of $1500 on taxes at DMV. YUCK !!! I still don't really get it... the sales tax were paid when the car was first sold by the dealer. Now, why we still have to pay the sales tax when the car is sold again to us? Is this something like double taxation?

Anyway, just want to thank all the members who chined in for the ideas. We did not even consider searching for Honda Accord but after the reading feedback from this forum, we finally did get one. Great job guys !!!

Last edited by drcookie; 03-13-2007 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Congrats on the new purchase!
Old 03-13-2007, 01:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by drcookie

Here is not so fun part. This is the first time we bought a used car. May be my I did not do enough research. Since we stay in California, we have to pay sales tax on the car. This cost us an additional of $1500 on taxes at DMV. YUCK !!! I still don't really get it... the sales tax were paid when the car was first sold by the dealer. Now, why we still have to pay the sales tax when the car is sold again to us? Is this something like double taxation?

Anyway, just want to thank all the members who chined in for the ideas. We did not even consider searching for Honda Accord but after the reading feedback from this forum, we finally did get one. Great job guys !!!
welcome to america...

gotto pay sales tax on used cars...did you buy it from a dealership? if you bought it from a private seller you can lie about how much you paid for it.

Last edited by ck123; 03-13-2007 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ck123
welcome to america...

gotto pay sales tax on used cars...did you buy it from a dealership? if you bought it from a private seller you can lie about how much you paid for it.
We bought it from a private sale (a family). The issue is not everyone wants to "lie" about the price they sell and we are the unlucky one. The previous owner did not want to declare less on the sales price even if after we talked to her. So, we got a great car but so so deal since we still have to come out with another $1500 from our pocket.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:11 PM
Burning Brakes

that is unlucky.....ididnt even know you had to pay sales tax until i bought a used car. the owner told us to put a lower than price than the actual selling price ^_^. sooo the car was 9k and we put down 4k. the DMV dont care to question you anyways
Old 03-13-2007, 02:17 PM
4th Gear

hey an accord good mileage and reliable. and a comfortable ride
Old 03-13-2007, 06:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by lilfotoman
hey an accord good mileage and reliable. and a comfortable ride
Totally agree. I think this car is going to get better mpg than my 2002 TL-S.

Now, this leads me to think about the mods now.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:04 PM
trill recognize trill

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how does an accord compare to a camry?
Old 03-14-2007, 12:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by yunginTL
how does an accord compare to a camry?
Not quite sure. We never like Camry so did not do a lot of research on it.

This is our first Accord as well and we will see.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:52 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ck123
that is unlucky.....ididnt even know you had to pay sales tax until i bought a used car. the owner told us to put a lower than price than the actual selling price ^_^. sooo the car was 9k and we put down 4k. the DMV dont care to question you anyways
man, i hear they changed that in texas now. apparently, you pay taxes based off the kbb price.

but congrats on the purchase, drcookie

the accord's a great car.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Congrats, i knew the v6 accord would be a good car for you!!!
Old 03-14-2007, 08:29 AM
Race Director

good choice! The only bad thing is that is the Accord (03-05) with the ugly rearend
Old 03-14-2007, 12:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
good choice! The only bad thing is that is the Accord (03-05) with the ugly rearend
I respectly disgree. My wife and I seem to like this body style compare to the latest one. The only thing we wish this EX model would come with is the memory seat. Oh well ....

Last night when she drove home, she made a comment stating that the Accord was not as powerful as TL-S ... puhahahahaha ... I told her she has been spoiled by how fast and agressive TL is. We were lucky we did not get the 4 bangers or we would have regreated.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:13 PM
True Aural Bliss=Gallardo

Folks,
Just want to provide an update and close out our search on our commute car. We finally bought a 2004 Honda Accord 4DR V6. It has approximately 26.8k miles on the odometer. The car was very clean and in great condition. The owner kept all the service records and all the service was done at the dealer. I was amazed the owner was really taking care of the care.
The ride is very smooth and the engine is very quiet compare to our 02TL-S. The car has some power but not as agressive as TL-S. I cannot hear the roar from Vtec on this car. Anyway, it is going to be a great car for my wife.

U followed my advice(page 1)!! It's a great car,very common but it's only because it's that good, and that V6 is more than enough for daily commuting.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:17 PM
True Aural Bliss=Gallardo

I respectly disgree. My wife and I seem to like this body style compare to the latest one. The only thing we wish this EX model would come with is the memory seat. Oh well ....

Last night when she drove home, she made a comment stating that the Accord was not as powerful as TL-S ... puhahahahaha ... I told her she has been spoiled by how fast and agressive TL is. We were lucky we did not get the 4 bangers or we would have regreated.

+1 the TL-S is a quick car but that S is there for a purpose. 240 hp for the V6, is ample imo. i don't like those new triangle lights on the 06's+. It is also very comfy.. what options do you have? (leather,sunroof etc...)
Old 03-15-2007, 12:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dailycommuta
+1 the TL-S is a quick car but that S is there for a purpose. 240 hp for the V6, is ample imo. i don't like those new triangle lights on the 06's+. It is also very comfy.. what options do you have? (leather,sunroof etc...)
Thanks dailycommuta !!!

After going back to page 1 and reread the post, I was wondering if you have the sixth sense or what ? Anyway, we found this great 2004 Accord V6 from craiglist. It was from a private sale or no option to pick and choose. I am not sure what options you could have on Accord EX but the one we bought does not come with Navi. It has factory fog light installed. The rest I believe pretty standard (Sunroof, leather, dual temp control, XM radio, and yadda, yadda, yadda) . Like you mentioned, the back seat is very roomie and the trunk space is huge !!!
Old 03-15-2007, 02:53 AM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Thanks dailycommuta !!!

After going back to page 1 and reread the post, I was wondering if you have the sixth sense or what ? Anyway, we found this great 2004 Accord V6 from craiglist. It was from a private sale or no option to pick and choose. I am not sure what options you could have on Accord EX but the one we bought does not come with Navi. It has factory fog light installed. The rest I believe pretty standard (Sunroof, leather, dual temp control, XM radio, and yadda, yadda, yadda) . Like you mentioned, the back seat is very roomie and the trunk space is huge !!!
I have an 06 EX-V6 with the 6-speed manual (2DR). If the sedan is anything like the coupe, you're going to greatly enjoy it. I get VERY good fuel economy in my V6, and I'm not light on the pedal. I just make sure to upshift as much as I can without lugging. I'm getting about 22MPG in the city, 20 if I'm really rough on the gas. (I converted units for you Americans haha)

On the highway I've been averaging about 33MPG. I don't know if it's doing so great because it's a manual, or if it's because I tend to cruise around slightly over the speed limit (just) on the highway.

Overall I'm really impressed with the ride and handling balance. It seems like a great mix between the two. Soft enough to absorb the nastier bumps, but taut enough to give plenty of feedback between me and the road. I drove 17.5 hours in it in one day, and my back wasn't sore either.

One of my favourite things about it for commuting is that it uses 87 octane. If you have spare money floating around, you CAN put premium fuel in and will gain roughly 10hp.