Have you found "the one" yet?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 01:57 AM
In the Mid-South meow

Received 2,157 Likes on 1,098 Posts
Have you found "the one" yet?

So after a few beers and some thread surfing it dawned on me that many Azine members, like myself, have different cars than they initially came on here with. Not only that but some members (I won't name names, you know who you are!) have traded in or sold what some would think are near perfect driving machines for something new and in some cases completely different than their previous rides, all for the persuit of finding the perfect car for them.

I feel like I've finally found the perfect car for me and my current living situation, so I'm curious if anyone else has too? I absoluely love driving my Accord 6spd and just can't wait to get up the next morning to jump in for my commute to work. I seriously think about rowing through the gears as I close my eyes to go to sleep at night. I know, an Accord right, but that's what I'm getting at; to some it might be just an Accord, but to me it's an absolute pleasure to drive and it has just enough performance to keep me entertained yet it's economical enough to allow me to save some dough and not feel like I can't afford to do fun things because I'm spending all my money on gas or repairs. I honestly can't think of a better car for me at the present time and I plan on keeping this car for years and years to come, which is completely opposite of my new car every year trend of the past three years.

So, my question is: Is the car you currently have the one that you'll keep for years to come or is it just another step toward finding that perfect car for you?
Old 07-03-2008, 02:18 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I'll definitely be keeping my current car for many years to come, as it stands right now. I enjoy driving my car, and, more significantly, I don't have any more money to spend on a new car.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:26 AM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Cars are like women.

Sure I love riding the one I currently have, but for some damn reason I can't stop myself from looking at other ones!

Solution: You should have all the ones you want.... well you could with cars anyway. Women will never understand.

But no, I haven't found the "one." For me personally, the "One" was an Aspen White 06 STi I had to get rid of in order to pay for a surgury. Yeah stupid me for not having health insurance at the time. (Very long story, thought I did through my law school, but turns out i didn't)

So yeah, i'm still looking for it. Hopefully the Evo X will fill my desire for the perfect car for me.

Last edited by BraveDemon; 07-03-2008 at 02:29 AM.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
This '91 Prelude just might be it...
Old 07-03-2008, 03:04 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,236 Likes on 825 Posts
Im taking cars off my OCD list....
Old 07-03-2008, 03:10 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
haha BraveDemon

I love what I got right now.... a Camaro Z28. Planning to keep it at least until I get a much better paying job. It wouldn't be many people's first choice but it was definitely mine considering the budget I had, that I don't truly give a crap how much gas costs, and besides its pretty good for a high-ish displacement V8. But I see a lot of potential in it, many mods to come.... and some think I'm crazy for wanting to make it have the capability to handle very well, but I know the right stuff is there. It is capable of open-air motoring, minus the rattles and squeeks of targa cars and its a blast to drive. I have to fight the urge to just throw it sideways in a u-turn whenever I drive it. I really couldn't find a funner, nicer looking car for $12000 at the time. I can appreciate a nice interior, but its towards the bottom of my list. The hatchback and t-tops has helped me transport a lot of awkward objects several times and the 2 back seats are decent and have came in handy.

Going with what BraveDemon said its kind of like a chick who will lick your nuts.... sorta "oh, damn, thats cool" but not required at all. I don't really see what the big deal is anyway. Plenty of people out there take 15, 16 second Hondas and turn them into drag-worthy cars.... I plan on eliminating the dipping and roll on a solid rear axle car. I like to tinker with my cars and there's a world of stuff out there for mine.... it serves as my semi-project car and reliable daily driver.

Maybe I'm a bit immature but I get compliments all the time, even from blue bloods (Ford fans) and it makes me feel fuzzy inside. I guess this car made me realize that I'm an attention whore.... I'm not a showoff but whenever I pull the car up to a rack in auto class and a small crowd gathers near/around it, all I can do is smile.

That said my realistic-dream car since before I could drive (8th grade) was an S2000 and at the moment it still is. I still can't afford it and I doubt it'll turn as many heads (not like it won't though) but its just so fun to drive.... the Z28 and S2000 are different animals, one being a superfluously blunt object and the other being a precision surgical instrument, and both are great fun. Nothing like a pure roadster though....
Old 07-03-2008, 03:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Doubt i will find the one to satisfy all my personalities.

Some days I want a car that is fast and handles like a go-kart. Other days I want an automatic with the comfort of a Lexus. Sometimes I just want a big V8 growling under the hood that only American muscle can deliver. The list goes on and on.....

Too many cars out there offer so many different things. I cant find just ONE to please me. I need a few!

Out of all the cars i went through so far, I will say that the 2002 330ci is still my favorite. Maybe because it was the only car I didnt choose to sell.

Last edited by Crazy Bimmer; 07-03-2008 at 03:19 AM.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:22 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
^The only solution is to make ridiculous amounts of money and have a Viper, Exige, NSX, M3, and a Prius

Seriously, I would prefer all those over some brand spanking new Ferrari and a Prius for a daily. I'm kinda the same way though, I want a daily that I can work on without worrying about it breaking down on me, and a project POS that slowly gets built up, a sportbike, and a off-road rig.... money sucks
Old 07-03-2008, 03:37 AM
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Want S2000. Anything else is just automotive pabulum. I'll get the retirement-mobile later when my bones have turned to jelly.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:12 AM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
As it stands right now, this would be my garage of the moment:

Audi Q7 4.2
DeLorean
Hyundai Genesis V8
Smart ForTwo (hey...you need a practical around town car)
Old 07-03-2008, 05:41 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i still love my xB. I plan on keeping it for years. It is honestly the first car I have gotten to choose on my own, before was always my parent's, relatives', family friend's cars, etc., so I think that's part of it. It is pretty annoying that it can barely get over the mountain I have to drive over everyday, but looking at gas prices, I would have a hard time stepping down from 30mpg. I had problems driving cars fast in my youth, so power isn't something I really find myself wanting or needing. Although enough to drive up a hill might be nice. Sometimes I drive my car, and just feel like someone found a picture of me, and built the car just for me. I think that's the goal in any car you buy.

It will be paid off in another few years, and hopefully will be reliable enough for a long time to come. My 'plan' was to keep it at least 7 years, and if I think I can afford something else, and if my car is still reliable, I can keep it as a beater after that. Good thing about buying a cheap car is you can't lose too much in depreciation. My dad just bought a used 530 that in 2 years depreciated over $5k MORE than my car cost new. Problem is out here, parking is hard to come by and I'm not sure I'd have room for 2 cars. Also depends on my financial situation, and if I am still living out here in the islands.

My problem is I love looking at cars, and building them online, just to dream and someday I will just pull the trigger, but for now I'm really happy with what I have, and really have no desire to be looking at another car until AT LEAST this one is paid off. Although the volvo c30 looks pretty damn good right now
Old 07-03-2008, 06:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I <3 my PT Cruiser Turbo. Quick, utilitarian, unique, and I actually like the fellow owners I go to meets with.

However, Ill always have a side car. Cant drive the same car daily forever.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
For my current living situation, its rough times, so the 335i coupe I have is perfect
Old 07-03-2008, 06:46 AM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
i like the 335 but it is definately not "the car"
I think my first choice will always be something w/ a rumbling american V8. I am hoping the CTS-V will come close to nirvana for me.

Like Jesal, i have different tastes....i would like a luxury sedan, a meaty coupe, a truck or jeep, and a car to tinker with. I just don't have the balls to act out on it like he does!
Old 07-03-2008, 06:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
After 5 years, I've still happy with my CL. No plans to trade it in unless something new comes along that fits my requirements of a under 3000 lb RWD 2+2 hardtop coupe for under 25K. I might just keep the CL and buy a cheap weekend car, but I've been saying that for years...
Old 07-03-2008, 07:43 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
i have been pretty satisfied with most of my cars.

i am still waiting to own a porsche or nsx
Old 07-03-2008, 08:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
I can honestly say I will never get bored with my NSX. Originally I thought I would keep it a few years and then dump it for a GTR. Now I'm thinking this car is something I would always like to keep in the stable. I already have this weird emotional bond to the car. I have no intention in ever selling this car unless I got an offer I could not refuse or life situation requires a sale.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:53 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
for my current situation, my TSX is the best car for me so

but over the past 6 months or so, i've been more and more interested in coupes...ranging from the new accord coupe to the S5. i've always been a sedan guy, but these new waves of coupes have got my interest.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:57 AM
Chloe @ 17mo

My TL-S was "the one". Now I'm seriously considering the G37C Sport (perhaps in AWD mode).
Old 07-03-2008, 09:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Theres always going to something better...

....with that said, my affordable dream car and next project car would be an E46 M3. All the new cars that are coming out look like bloated pieces of shit. I honestly can't think of a single upcoming car that turns me on, atleast not under $60,000. Until then, my TL in its current state is more than enough for me and almost perfect
Old 07-03-2008, 10:03 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by JJaber06

....with that said, my affordable dream car and next project car would be an E46 M3.

and
Old 07-03-2008, 10:33 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
I LOVE my new GTI....that being said....I love cars waaaay to much to stay with one for a very long time. Variety is the spice of life. Life is too short for a couple of cars...or only staying "true" to one brand.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:39 AM
Team Owner

Received 602 Likes on 419 Posts
I'm satisfied with the cars I have. I'm not in love with them. I am one of the guys that traded in a car I loved for something to get me from point A to point B. I hope to someday get a car I love again, but for my current living situation, what I have now is more than acceptable.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,940 Likes on 14,056 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy Acura

Some days I want a car that is fast and handles like a go-kart. Other days I want an automatic with the comfort of a Lexus. Sometimes I just want a big V8 growling under the hood that only American muscle can deliver. The list goes on and on.....

Too many cars out there offer so many different things. I cant find just ONE to please me. I need a few!

Out of all the cars i went through so far, I will say that the 2002 330ci is still my favorite. Maybe because it was the only car I didnt choose to sell.
Sounds like you need an Aston Martin DBS. It's the prefect car.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,940 Likes on 14,056 Posts
As for the OP's question: No, I'll probably never find the car...unless I can somehow fork up $$$$ to buy a Pagani Zonda or an Aston Martin DBS.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:44 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,569 Likes on 986 Posts
In the last 10 years I've had a Ford ZX2, Pontiac Grand Prix, Infiniti I30t, Mazda3, and Mazdaspeed3.

I like the MS3 the most but it's not even close to "the one".

The problem I have is that I have a dog and the cars I want would just get trashed by her and her muddy paws.

So it's either two cars, or one less than ideal one.

I wouldn't trade my dog for anything but it does limit what I put my money into.

I still think the A5 S-Line is the car for me
Old 07-03-2008, 10:47 AM
Drifting

Every single time I drive her or wash her I'm just so happy to have her. I know that I'll hold on to her for a looooong time. The need for a four door car will probably come, and by then hopefully I will be able to pick up an ~02 LS430 for under $20k.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:49 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
for my current situation, my TSX is the best car for me so

but over the past 6 months or so, i've been more and more interested in coupes...ranging from the new accord coupe to the S5. i've always been a sedan guy, but these new waves of coupes have got my interest.

When i bought my TSX is was the absolute perfect car for me at the time. Now I'm thinking the perfect car might be a BMW 135.

Later down the line, my perfect car will look something like this...

Old 07-03-2008, 10:51 AM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

Received 1,192 Likes on 485 Posts
I know I just got it, but this MX5 might just fit the bill. I've wanted it ever since I saw them in 06. I've hyped about it for close to 2 years, and now after getting one im still not let down!! I loved the CL to death but this just makes me smile every time I hop in. Its the car I had visions of in my dreams...same color and everything.

Cheap mods, exciting to drive, easy on the eyes....its everything I wanted + a ton more!

Ill def. have it for years to come, although it may be a weekend runner.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:55 AM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Originally Posted by Crazy Acura

I am the exact same way, I've had the S2000 for a close to 8 months, just reached 4k miles yesterday and I am looking at vette's and 335i's. I really like the S2k and have no complaints but I get bored quickly, its certainly no power house, but it is still very fun to drive. I went on a road trip last weekend and with the AC on, it was mighty humid and I was on the highway for the bulk of the trip so the top was up, I managed to get over 29mpg and had a blast driving it. I also ran into a unique problem with my S2k the other day, I was going to go shoot skeet with my father and my good shotgun won't fit in the car unless I have it pointing upwards sitting on the passenger side with the top down and the barrel hanging out, which I might add is on the illegal side. So part of my vette and 335 hunting is about being able to carry firearms.

A perfect stable for me would need a luxury car - Lexus GS or LS, a Lotus Elise SC or Tesla Roadster, A vette and some sort of utility vehicle like a Wrangler or something. Even when I have the means to do it, I probably won't ever have more then two vehicles for myself, I just don't drive enough to make it justifiable. With all that said I plan on keeping the S2000 at least until I'm 30, which will be by far the longest I've ever kept a car.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:55 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,569 Likes on 986 Posts
The way I get fickle about cars, I wonder if a two year lease isn't the way to go.

I've had my MS3 for 18 months and I really want something else now. *shrug*
Old 07-03-2008, 10:56 AM
says "hello to my TLX".

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

....with that said, my affordable dream car and next project car would be an E46 M3. All the new cars that are coming out look like bloated pieces of shit. I honestly can't think of a single upcoming car that turns me on, atleast not under $60,000. Until then, my TL in its current state is more than enough for me and almost perfect
down to the last word.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:00 AM
seizure force field!

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts
I am still in pursuit. I couldn't get what I wanted 3 years ago so I got stuck with a family sedan. I've always been happy with it but not satisfied. I drove an 06 MINI 2 years ago and fell in love, just recently my girlfriend got a convertible and I was re-intoxicated. 3 more payments on the Accord and I will be saving up for what is practical for me. Fun compact car with a manual transmission.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:14 AM
I now drive an accord....

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Will your parents buy me a car too
Old 07-03-2008, 11:19 AM
I now drive an accord....

I would say that after 5 years I still love my CLS even though it has some blemishes now I still smile uncontrollably when its all shined up.

However I don't think its the "one", and I don't think I will ever find that. I can't picture myself never seeing a car drive buy and thinking I would rather have that instead of what I have.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:38 AM
Moto Enthusiast

When I felt I needed more luxury, I got myself the RL. Then I felt I needed more speed, so I got myself a Daytona 675. I then felt like rowing my own gears, so I got a 6 speed A4. But when my knee started to hurt (manual tranny in rush hour = no fun) and I needed something to haul my dogs (didn't want to beat up the RL), I got myself a Subaru wagon. Are any of them "then One"?

Nope.

I'm continually back and forth because my mood and needs have always been changing. Someday, I'll need that Ibis White Audi S5 or that Porsche Carrera 4S. At least that's what I tell myself.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts

I am very satisfied with my 2G RL and my S2000, but there's so many cars out there to consider, and I consider myself such a car guy, that I won't know for sure which car is "the one" unless I keep it more than five years. The S2000 is the closest so far, but I've only had it for three months as of today.

Like others, I want a luxury car for days when I want to relax when driving (RL), a sports car for when I feel frenetic (S), and a child/materiel hauler (my wife's Pilot). I'm just happy and humbled that I can afford these three terrific cars, and pretty much any car south of $100k I want.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:54 AM
I'M BACK!!!

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
haha BraveDemon

I love what I got right now.... a Camaro Z28. Planning to keep it at least until I get a much better paying job. It wouldn't be many people's first choice but it was definitely mine considering the budget I had, that I don't truly give a crap how much gas costs, and besides its pretty good for a high-ish displacement V8. But I see a lot of potential in it, many mods to come.... and some think I'm crazy for wanting to make it have the capability to handle very well, but I know the right stuff is there. It is capable of open-air motoring, minus the rattles and squeeks of targa cars and its a blast to drive. I have to fight the urge to just throw it sideways in a u-turn whenever I drive it. I really couldn't find a funner, nicer looking car for $12000 at the time. I can appreciate a nice interior, but its towards the bottom of my list. The hatchback and t-tops has helped me transport a lot of awkward objects several times and the 2 back seats are decent and have came in handy.

Going with what BraveDemon said its kind of like a chick who will lick your nuts.... sorta "oh, damn, thats cool" but not required at all. I don't really see what the big deal is anyway. Plenty of people out there take 15, 16 second Hondas and turn them into drag-worthy cars.... I plan on eliminating the dipping and roll on a solid rear axle car. I like to tinker with my cars and there's a world of stuff out there for mine.... it serves as my semi-project car and reliable daily driver.

Maybe I'm a bit immature but I get compliments all the time, even from blue bloods (Ford fans) and it makes me feel fuzzy inside. I guess this car made me realize that I'm an attention whore.... I'm not a showoff but whenever I pull the car up to a rack in auto class and a small crowd gathers near/around it, all I can do is smile.

That said my realistic-dream car since before I could drive (8th grade) was an S2000 and at the moment it still is. I still can't afford it and I doubt it'll turn as many heads (not like it won't though) but its just so fun to drive.... the Z28 and S2000 are different animals, one being a superfluously blunt object and the other being a precision surgical instrument, and both are great fun. Nothing like a pure roadster though....

any pics?
Old 07-03-2008, 11:55 AM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by GIBSON6594

Now I'm thinking the perfect car might be a BMW 135.
+1

That car looks to be about as close to automotive nirvana as a poor guy gets. It will be mine, oh
Old 07-03-2008, 12:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts

Quick Reply: Have you found "the one" yet?