Moderator Alumnus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GSX vs. an M3 Vid......

This is Great..........

http://www.illz.net/E46_M3_VS_Eclipse_GSX.wmv
Old 05-02-2003, 09:05 PM
Got Boost?

That's great!!! That guy destroyed his car trying to race an M3!!! Dumb ricers!! lol j/k No really...that does suck...because we have all messed around at one point or another, and now he has quite a mechanic bill. Hope the best for him...

That right there proves to me that I would rather put the money ahead of time to buy a nice car and make it fast...maybe not as fast as some of the ricer cars you can do on a low budget...but at least it's reliable. JMHO.

-Shane :P
Old 05-02-2003, 09:12 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sheeeit, that sux!
Old 05-02-2003, 09:15 PM
'Cooter

r u joking??? r u joking????
Old 05-02-2003, 09:15 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by ACURACR
That's great!!! That guy destroyed his car trying to race an M3!!! Dumb ricers!! lol j/k No really...that does suck...because we have all messed around at one point or another, and now he has quite a mechanic bill. Hope the best for him...

That right there proves to me that I would rather put the money ahead of time to buy a nice car and make it fast...maybe not as fast as some of the ricer cars you can do on a low budget...but at least it's reliable. JMHO.

I used to own the GSX, it was scary fast and would whip an M3 from the line, in the middle and all the way to the 1/4 mile mark. With some boost you could easily beat an M3. That kid was a moron.
Old 05-02-2003, 09:20 PM
O.G.

Did that M3 even try?
Old 05-02-2003, 09:28 PM
Banned

HOMO camera work! oh and they got.........

Old 05-02-2003, 09:30 PM
Got Boost?

Originally posted by eclipse23
I used to own the GSX, it was scary fast and would whip an M3 from the line, in the middle and all the way to the 1/4 mile mark. With some boost you could easily beat an M3. That kid was a moron.
I didn't say that the GSX wasn't fast...I just think that when you cheap out on the car and put all your money into the performance...those things are bound to happen. Unless of course it is new and has a warranty...when in most cases the person looking to make a car super fast won't buy a brand new car...I dunno...whatever...

For example: If you buy a CL Type S and put some money into it and make it pretty quick...it will be both fast and reliable. If you buy a Civic and drop more money into it to make it fast...you are copping out on the quality and going for something totally different. Where as I would rather buy a reliable car and make it quick...but maybe not not as quick as the Civic. Understand?

Remember...this is just my opinion...I am only speaking for myself.

Thanks,

Old 05-02-2003, 09:32 PM
Safety Car

Yeah... that kid sounded like an idiot from the beginnning... the first sentence... "M3's suck!" Also... "I am going to launch the hell out of it".... uh!?! You know... the M3 didn't even race... would you stop right after 1st gear so that you don't look like an idiot?
Old 05-02-2003, 09:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Man he revved the hell out of it right before the launch. Why push to the limiter like that?

"Dude my parents are gonna be so pissed"
Old 05-02-2003, 09:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
looks like the camera man had a bag between his knees
Old 05-02-2003, 10:01 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: GSX vs. an M3 Vid......

Bummer
Old 05-03-2003, 07:43 AM
Racer

Does anyone think it was the clutch letting go? Sounds more like that to me than an engine coming apart. What do you guys think?
Old 05-03-2003, 07:50 AM
Suzuka Master

btw, i will be posting videos of my 740iL doing some runs w/ my buddies E46m3 . we both had a typeS but he never posted here.

It will be 0~100 and the 100~140 hehe video's
Old 05-03-2003, 09:57 AM
///M POWER

bring the vids nova,

that kid was a fuckin idiot, the m3 didnt even race
Old 05-03-2003, 12:37 PM
nothing

that was halirious. the m3 didnt even try to race.
Old 05-03-2003, 01:00 PM
East Coast Boost.!

Old 05-03-2003, 01:42 PM
Suzuka Master

oh not to keep you guys waiting but I will also film my typeS agianst the 740, and my typeS against the M3 !!!!
Old 05-03-2003, 04:15 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow the M3 didn't even bother with that one. I wonder if the M3 driver even knew what was going on?

Thats some of the worst camera work EVER.

Old 05-03-2003, 04:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
hopefully none of those debris particles hit that nice M3.

Old 05-03-2003, 05:46 PM
Suzuka Master

There's another video entitled aftermath that was posted on Off-Topic. I'll see if i can find the link again.
Old 05-03-2003, 06:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Here we go. Thanks to Too-Turbos on OT.net for the link.

http://sys12.cs.jmu.edu/hawleycj/vids/aftermath.wmv

There's also what i believe is a legit post from the guy who blew up his car. See next post.
Old 05-03-2003, 06:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Thanks to Istegra97 on OT

The story:

I was headed to work yesterday morning with my friend Brian. We spotted a new E46 M3 up ahead on the highway. He was turning right at a stoplight, so we decided to take a detour.

As we followed suit, I gunned it and got up next to him in the left lane. I paced him for a couple seconds and gave him a big smile. Just then a stoplight turned red in front of us and we slowed to a stop. I looked over at the M3 owner and pointed forward. He acknowledged with a head nod so I knew it was on.

Brian had grabbed the video camera minutes before and had been taping the entire event. He kept the camera low so the driver wouldn't see it. We didn't want to spook the guy out of the race. M3 owners never seem to race me up here in Northern VA.

The traffic signal for the opposing turn lane turned yellow, then red. I pressed the accelerator to the floor and my launch limiter kept the revs at a very noisy 5500 RPMs. I wasn't looking at the M3 owner's face at this point, but I'm assuming he was getting a bit nervous.

The light turns green and I let the clutch up quickly. I didn't sidestep it, as I was still worried about my new transmission (I had just shattered my center differential two weeks before). The clutch slipped ever so slightly, all four tires gripped the pavement, and I was off with zero wheelspin from my brand new 225/45ZR17 Kumho Ecsta Supra tires.

The M3 driver was just as alert. He had been inching forward the entire time and actually began accelerating a fraction of a second before me. This didn't help him much though. By the end of first gear, which winds out almost immediately, the M3 was just behind my front bumper.

After a loud backfire (running rich as hell) I granny shifted into 2nd (still babying the tranny) and wound out 2nd gear. The M3 was falling back fast and was about two cars behind at this point. Third gear was coming up and I was excited, because it is definitely my power gear. I found 3rd and began to pull away even harder, and then it happened.

Screws were thrown into my exhaust pipe. At least that's what it sounded like. My heart sunk to the bottom of my chest. I knew what the horrible sound really was. My completely stock shortblock with 78,000 miles finally gave out.

I hadn't gotten my car to the dyno yet, but conservative estimates were somewhere just above 450 bhp at the flywheel, untuned. That's about 112 hp per piston/rod. If you have any doubts about these numbers, just watch the video of the destruction.

I knew it was going to happen sometime, but I sure didn't expect it at that moment. I had tuned the car conservatively and was running rich. My EGTs had only peaked at about 880 deg C, I had no detonation, I was running only 18 psi, and I had not even added any additional spark timing advance. I guess 78,000 miles of hard driving, 50 or so clutch dumps, around 10 drag strip runs, a few road racing events, ten or so autocrosses did it in.

I limped over to the side of the road as the M3 driver passed me by (laugh it up guys!!!! ) with an astonished look on his face. I got out of the car and sat on the grass for a few minutes, contemplating what had just happened. In retrospect, that was a good thing to do. I didn't need dents in the side of my door, and I definitely didn't need a broken foot.

So the flatbed came and towed the car back to my house. The beast had left a lake coolant and oil where she rested. Brian and I went back to the scene of the disaster later in the day and discovered the bottom portion of a connecting rod and a thumb-size chunk of iron block. These two pieces were only a small hint of the destruction we would uncover later in the day after we removed the cylinder head.

Once we got home from work, we removed the head in just over an hour. What we uncovered was easily the worst carnage we had ever seen as a result of a bent connecting rod. The entire engine block and all its internal components literally disintegraed.

Schrapnel from exploding pistons and bearings was shot out the back of the iron block into the firewall (which was the loud sound we heard inside the car). The balance shaft was smashed through the rear of the block, creating a hand-size hole through which the crankshaft was easily visible. Multiple connecting rods were bent, twisted, melted, etc. Pistons were completely mangled and cylinder two had a silver-dollar size hole in the cylinder wall.

All in all, it could have been much worse (really!), as the damage was localized to the short block. Surprisingly, the cylinder head was untouched, except two very small nicks on the exhaust valves of the number one cylinder. No significant metal fragments exited my exhaust, as my exhaust turbine fins were untouched.

In goes the race block w/ forged internals. This sure was a learning experience. I was hoping the stock block would hold up for a bit longer, but oh well.

If you got this far, thanks for reading. Please do not start saying anything about the validity of any of my comments. Everything happened as I stated it (to the best of my recollection), and the M3 driver was definitely racing me. I'm sorry if you don't believe me for some reason.

Anyway, I hope you all enjoyed that! I will post again when we get the block out of the car and we can remove more pistons/rods/bearings from the oil pan! Yay!!! I will also post the install of my new motor if anyone is interested. Let me know if you all have any problems downloading or viewing the videos. I will be posting them in different resolutions and formats (hopefully MPG) tomorrow, along with pics of the carnage.

Chris
Old 05-03-2003, 10:49 PM
The hair says it all

how good is an eclipse gsx? do they still make them?
Old 05-03-2003, 11:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Not anymore, they CAN be fast...
Old 05-03-2003, 11:55 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
The funniest part of that video was the way it sounded like someone ripping apart an aluminum can....

But seriously, that kid is a total jackass. He claims that he has a 5500 rpm "launch limiter", but it sounded to me like he was hitting his rev limiter. I've had a modded AWD Talon in the past (upgraded hybrid turbo, HKS off-road exhaust, HKS powerflow, HKS EVC to control the boost, and a few other mods) and have never heard of a "launch limiter".

Also, I don't buy his story about the M3 driver nodding that the race was on. If you watch the video closely, you'll see a glimpse of the SUIT wearing M3 driver. And he wasn't even paying any attention to the dork revving the piss out of his car right next to him.
Old 05-04-2003, 12:52 AM
Suzuka Master

oh my... ROFLOL.... that was sooo friggen funny..