Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 06:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
Very nice, congrats!
Old 12-25-2011, 11:00 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
Excellent choice. Hopefully it'll treat you better than your Santa Nay.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Dang nice options! Congrats!
Old 12-26-2011, 01:04 AM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
Thanks, guys.

Gotta say I love having a small car. I thought it would feel like a punishment but this thing rides so much nicer than my SF and it feels tight as a drum. No suspension noise and no body flex, even on the worst washboarding our lovely Portland streets can dish out.

I also must point out that people coming on to the Elantra forum are pretty stupid. One guy has gone 8,000 miles on his factory oil fill, hasn't checked the tires and is bitching about getting 27 MPG in stop-and-go traffic. I'm currently getting 24.5 and love it. I know that expecting the 29 MPG city figure is unrealistic with the awful traffic light timing and hills around here so I'm taking it all in stride. Plus Hyundai engines don't normally loosen up and give their best mileage until past 10K so I shall patiently wait.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:31 AM
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
awesome, how is the ride? As expected or better than expected?

EDIT: okay posted this after your post.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:13 PM
Off roading in his

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Congrats, I love this car...every time I see one, I can't stop looking at it. I love what Hyundai did with it.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:42 PM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
Congrats man! That's a sweet looking ride
Old 12-27-2011, 08:04 PM
Team Owner

Received 599 Likes on 417 Posts
Nice. A buddy of mine has one and he loves it.

Congrats.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:12 AM
Evil Mazda Driver

Gotta say I'm fully on board the small-car boat now. The gas gauged dropped to one bar and the low fuel light popped on while I was on my way home from dinner with a friend so I swung by the gas station. From 'E' with the light on cost me $34.50 over 10.523 gallons. For the sake of comparison, to fill the Santa Fe from the same point on the gauge would have cost me over $50 and maybe even closer to $60.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:19 AM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Nice, I might go with a 2nd hyundai but as my DD, I was thinking of getting the Veloster though. Are you going to perform any aftermarket modifications?
Old 12-28-2011, 12:32 AM
Evil Mazda Driver

My friend tells me that the first Velosters are a bit glitchy because of all the tech they've packed into them is combined with a first model year run and what I'm reading on the forums supports that. I'd give Hyundai another year or two to sort out the teething problems before considering the V although it is a sweet-looking car.

I've got just a few simple mods planned:
  • 35% tint all around (Oregon legal)
  • Splash Guards
  • 'Elantra' chrome rear plate frame
  • Front plate delete with bumper plugs (Oregon illegal )
  • 'Stealth' bulbs in turn signals (clear when off; amber when on)
  • GE Nighthawk headlight bulbs
  • Brighter fog light bulbs
  • LEDs for license plate lights
Old 12-29-2011, 01:30 PM
is out, so the

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Congrats!

A lot of the small mainstream cars don't appeal to me. They always look like the designers have a hard time applying the design language to a small package, but the Elantra looks amazing!

Hyundai did an amazing job on the exterior and the interior.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:56 PM
Meridian

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
oh my, the interior looks nice!
Old 12-29-2011, 09:14 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. With today's lineup, I don't think you could have gone wrong with the Elantra or the Sonata.

Here's to hoping this one is a lot less problematic than the Santa Fe.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:27 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Congrats on the new car!
Old 12-30-2011, 01:52 AM
Evil Mazda Driver

Thumbs up

Already up to almost 600 miles on the Elantra so I figured it's time for a little review. I'll admit some of those miles were me driving just for the hell of it but most were actual errands and giving friends rides.

Performance, Comfort and Ride

With a 1.8 liter four-cylinder engine and 148 horsepower on tap, the Elantra will never win any drag races but it manages to pick up 60 in about nine seconds. Unlike most people who write articles of this length about cars, I have no clue about quarter mile times or top speed but I'm sure it's nothing to write home about. Despite this, the Elantra manages to keep up with city traffic just fine and merging onto the freeway via short entrance ramps doesn't necessarily feel like a death wish. The transmission is a six-speed automatic and goes about its work so smoothly that you forget it's there. The Limited model ads fancy 17" alloy wheels and with them, the Elantra's ride is firm but not rough. It soaks up bumps well enough and the suspension is quiet and refined, a welcome improvement in an area where Hyundai has struggled. With it's torsion beam rear suspension, it's certainly not as agile or fun to drive as the previous Civic but it does manage to offer an engaging driving experience. The electronic power steering feels a bit vague and light at low speed but is easy to keep on-center. Only on rutted interstates with heavy crosswinds seem to upset the car's otherwise straight-line trajectory.

The front seats are well shaped and are very comfortable despite lacking adjustable lumbar support, something that was present on the past Elantra and was probably a victim of cost-cutting. The range of adjustment is also very good, something that Korean cars in the past struggled with. The driver's seat in the Elantra goes back far enough that somebody 6' 7" or taller could easily get comfortable. Both front seats are heated with two-level adjustment and even on low, they heat up quickly. Anybody who leaves it on high and doesn't feel the heat after a few minutes should probably get their nervous system checked. Rear-seat passengers are given mid-size car levels of room and heating is also offered for both outboard positions along with an arm rest with cup holders.

Road noise is present but not offensive while wind does create a bit of a whir around the beefy A-pillars. The engine does its work quietly under normal conditions but tends to create a bit more noise when working hard although it never sounds tinny or unrefined. The low-beam headlights are very good with a decent spread and excellent light distribution. The high beams are a bit weak and the fog lights just flat out suck. Clearly they're for aesthetics only.

Technology

Hyundai has packed an impressive amount of tech into the Elantra this time around. The Technology Package adds Proximity Key and push-button start with immobilizer, a navigation system with the 7" LCD touch-screen, 360-watt premium sound system and a rear view camera.

By far the best aspect of this tech-fest is Hyundai's fantastic voice recognition system. Without taking my hands off the wheel, I can enter an address or find a point of interest, change the map scale or orientation, make phone calls and change virtually any aspect of the audio system. When in guidance mode, the system not only speaks street names but takes XM's traffic data into account when routing your trip. If freeways are jammed up, it will route you onto surface streets or if traffic bunches up ahead of your route, it will warn you of the jam and give you the option to re-route. The backup camera is clear with guide lines in green, yellow and red to indicate just how close you are to disaster or a trip to the body shop. It works well even in low or no-light conditions although the lens does tend to get dirty quickly, especially after driving in the rain. The only image distortion I have noticed comes from rain water building up on the lens but I'm sure I'll get used to wiping it down before backing up if it's wet outside.

The Bluetooth system requires too many voice commands to simply make a phone call (Call Name -> John Smith -> Cell phone -> Yes) but thankfully it has eradicated the incredibly annoying 'Transfer Complete!' announcement that drove me to madness in my Santa Fe. Despite the train of voice commands, sound quality is excellent on both ends and many people I've spoken to on the system have been amazed to learn they are actually on a Bluetooth system.

For a small car, the sound system is decent enough but it lacks bass punch, something I hope to resolve with better speakers. Despite this, the stereo offers AM, FM, XM, USB, AUX, CD, iPod and Bluetooth ways of getting your tunes through the speakers. As always, Hyundai's iPod integration is virtually idiot-proof and unlike many Hyundai cars, this one gives you a compartment in which to hide your iPod while it's plugged in, keeping the dash looking clean and the iPod out of sight. Zune users won't enjoy the full compatibility but there is an auxiliary plug-in as well as a USB port for jump drives full of music. The XM function offers three preset bands whereas most manufacturers only offer two, a great gesture as XM offers a lot of programming that I enjoy and for people with broad musical tastes, 18 presets over 12 is very welcome indeed. And for those who still prefer their tunes in the physical media variety, there is a single-disc CD player on top of the dash. Cassette tapes need not apply.

The proximity key and push button start work fabulously and I've never once need to resort to the key fob itself although there are buttons on it for lock, unlock, trunk release and a panic alarm. Contact buttons are located on both front doors and the driver's door offers a neat feature of two-step unlocking. Like on the fob, one push of the button gives you driver's door only while two quick successive pushes give you all doors unlocked. The only downside I've noticed is that I'll occasionally get stuck in the RL mindset and just yank on the handle, only to immediately realize that I'm doing it wrong. But unlike the RL, you can wash the Elantra with the key in your pocket and not have the system go nuts. The RL's system may be more refined and look nicer but the Elantra's works better in the real world.

Fuel Economy

The Elantra has been given great praise in this category but like most Hyundai products, it fails to deliver until properly broken in. At present, my average is 24.1 MPG in mostly city driving with Portland's epic hills and my best tank so far has netted 25.8. Each tank has been better than the last and I firmly believe that once broken in, this car will get its claimed figures.

I will update the mileage as time goes on.

Quality and Fit & Finish

Ten to fifteen years ago, these terms would have given anyone a reason to laugh but the Elantra is very well screwed together. The top of the dash is trimmed in a nice, soft-touch black material that sounds hefty and durable. Even the smooth plastics aren't too hard and when knocked on, don't ring of 'cheap'. The leather seats are soft and supple with neat perforations in a wavy pattern carried over to the door panels while the shift knob just begs to be touched. Doors close with a solid and Germanic 'thunk' and panel gap consistency is excellent. Switches operate with a precise feel and it's clear Hyundai engineers went to great lengths to make sure the upscale-looking interior felt upscale, as well.

However...that's not to say it's all good. Stuffing a car like this with the features they have at the price they're asking is going to result in some cost-cutting but it's not as bad as you might be lead to think. The headliner is clearly some cloth-polyester hybrid with a pretty terrible feel to the touch and even PETA would be hard-pressed to believe that the 'leather wrapped steering wheel' is wrapped in any sort of cow known to man. The steel that makes up the body panels is clearly thinner than most cars (likely to reduce weight), there is no grab handle on the interior of the trunk lid and the spare tire has been replaced with a can of goo and an air compressor.

The Final Verdict

When you step back and take in the Elantra as a whole car, it's truly an incredible achievement. Even with some questionable materials on minor surfaces and some absent niceties, the car is an incredibly good value for money. So far I've loved every mile I've spent behind the wheel of my Elantra and look forward to many more. Having driven Corollas, Mazda 3s, Civics, Sentras and Cruzes, I can honestly say that this is the best small car on the market today and I say that with a straight face, not as a third-time Hyundai owner.

Was my faith in the brand tested by my awful Santa Fe? Yes...I'd be lying if I said that it didn't. But if I didn't believe that Hyundai made a good car at a great price, I wouldn't have even considered the Elantra. Time will tell if I made the right choice or not but so far, I'm next to positive that I have.

Last edited by PortlandRL; 12-30-2011 at 01:57 AM. Reason: Damn typo...
The following 8 users liked this post by PortlandRL:
cjTL (12-30-2011), Doom878 (08-21-2012), Hapa DC5 (12-30-2011), JS + XES (12-30-2011), madcaps (01-16-2012), MR1 (12-30-2011), mrmako (12-28-2014), teranfon (12-30-2011) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-30-2011, 09:38 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
Maybe automotive journalist wouldn't be a bad career to pursue? Great review brother.
The following users liked this post:
PortlandRL (01-08-2012)
Old 12-30-2011, 10:23 AM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,175 Likes on 3,963 Posts
Originally Posted by Hapa DC5
Maybe automotive journalist wouldn't be a bad career to pursue? Great review brother.
+1

I seriously thought I was reading a review from Car and Driver.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:26 AM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
Excellent review!
Old 12-30-2011, 01:24 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Nice balanced review, thanks.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:53 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
Glad you are enjoying it!
Old 12-30-2011, 03:49 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Originally Posted by Hapa DC5
Originally Posted by pttl
+1

I seriously thought I was reading a review from Car and Driver.
Thank you. I've sent some of my stuff to C&D before but never got a reply. I'd like to break into that business but just don't know of an in.

Originally Posted by cjTL
Excellent review!
Originally Posted by MR1
Nice balanced review, thanks.
Thanks, guys.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:53 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,313 Likes on 4,897 Posts
If youre serious about it why not start writing for car blogs and go from there?
Old 12-30-2011, 06:17 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Or just start your own. I know of a person out east who used to test drive cars at dealerships and write reviews on his blog.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 198 Likes on 68 Posts
$34.50 LOL. That's what my F150 takes AFTER the pump shuts off the first time at $75.

(if i'm lucky)
Old 12-30-2011, 08:16 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by achenator
$34.50 LOL. That's what my F150 takes AFTER the pump shuts off the first time at $75.

(if i'm lucky)
Lol.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:57 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Wow very nice review!
Old 12-31-2011, 04:14 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 990 Likes on 532 Posts
Very nice looking car. And my new Volvo only has front heated seats (I think I missed the check box for the rears, but my wife's ass and mine are the ones that need to be warm. Screw anyone else).
Old 01-16-2012, 12:45 AM
Evil Mazda Driver

Sorry for the thread bump but earlier tonight I spoke with my friend who also happens to be my service advisor. He said since they took my SF in on trade, the brake booster AND oil pan gasket failed and had to be replaced. I believe his direct quote was, "Whoever gets that car is totally fucked."

That thing really was a lemon...and actually it still is. I'm so glad to be rid of it.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Whoa

Good timing for you!
Old 01-16-2012, 04:05 AM
Lt. Gamble

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts
The body lines on that car are ridiculous and I can't believe how much you get for so little money. Honda is getting passed up by Hyundais new line of cars..shit, even KIA has nicer cars than Honda imo. Congrats on the purchase!
Old 01-16-2012, 06:13 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
wow, good timing on your part.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:29 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by madcaps
The body lines on that car are ridiculous and I can't believe how much you get for so little money. Honda is getting passed up by Hyundais new line of cars..shit, even KIA has nicer cars than Honda imo. Congrats on the purchase!
Yup. Kia and Hyundai offer quite a bit more for less. Add to that features that Honda does not even offer.

Then add the 100k mi. warranty.

I dunno why someone would pick a civic over an elantra, an accord over an optima, or a CRV over a Sportage.

There is no comparison.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:37 AM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,175 Likes on 3,963 Posts
Originally Posted by PortlandRL
Sorry for the thread bump but earlier tonight I spoke with my friend who also happens to be my service advisor. He said since they took my SF in on trade, the brake booster AND oil pan gasket failed and had to be replaced. I believe his direct quote was, "Whoever gets that car is totally fucked."

That thing really was a lemon...and actually it still is. I'm so glad to be rid of it.
Can you post the VIN for your old SF? Just in case someone on these boards is looking for a used SF.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:59 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Sure:

5NMSK4AG4AH407794
Old 01-16-2012, 10:02 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,911 Likes on 2,614 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Yup. Kia and Hyundai offer quite a bit more for less. Add to that features that Honda does not even offer.

Then add the 100k mi. warranty.

I dunno why someone would pick a civic over an elantra, an accord over an optima, or a CRV over a Sportage.

There is no comparison.
Brand recognition...for now.

Same reason Honda has been falling down the shitter...they are just resting on their laurels, while everyone else is eating their lunch.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:22 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Update!! I just ticked over 4,500 miles today (yeah...I drive a lot) so I figured I'd bring everybody up to speed on how things are going.

The Good

Apart from a minor rubbing noise in reverse for which there is a TSB and parts have been ordered, I've had no problems to report which is a very welcome change from the Santa Fe. It was a bit like an automotive hypochondriac...couldn't pass a dealership without stopping in to see what it might have.

The interior quality of this car is nothing short of fantastic. I do have to remove blue jeans transfer from the driver's seat every few weeks but when clean, the seats still look brand new....even after my fat ass has been wearing them in. I still don't have any rattles and thanks to the absurdly tight tolerances, everything is still as snug as they day I bought it.

The Bad(ish)

This car has been marketed with huge claims made about its fuel mileage and while it will definitely get its claimed figures, it must be said that it's incredibly sensitive to how you drive. I took a day trip to the Oregon Coast back in February and got 35.6 MPG average which isn't bad for crawling through small towns on US-101 and flying up the Coast Range grades at 70 MPH. The 29 MPG city figure is far more elusive, especially with the dense development, steep hills and awful traffic lights around here. On a tank of about 90% city driving with the Active Eco assist on and piloting the car like James May, I managed 28.2 MPG, of which I am very proud. I believe that on flat terrain with a more attentive public works department and proper driving, 29 or better in the city is realistic. Driving like Jeremy Clarkson, however, will punish you with between 23 and 24 MPG. My first tank was my absolute worst at 22.5, a number I haven't gotten close to since.

The Mods...

The windows have been tinted to 30% so I'm no longer fishbowlin' it and I got a good deal (through work) on a set of Blizzak studless snow tires on steelies which are essential as the stock LRR tires are useless to the point of dangerous in any sort of snow. I'm back on the standard wheels and tires now. I also swapped out the bulbs for my LED license plate lights which really set off the back of the car. I also ditched the weak 27-watt fog lights for 38-watt bulbs and they definitely improve the amount of light to cut through crappy weather without blinding oncoming traffic.

I complained about the awful faux-leather that graces the steering wheel in this car and I doubt you'll be surprised when I tell you that it hasn't gotten better with age. Thankfully, I have a remedy for it and next week the car goes to the dealer and the wheel gets removed to be shipped off to be professionally recovered. I'm doing black to match the factory scheme but to add my own little touch, I've requested the stitching be done in light gray to match the leather seats. I'm very excited and hope it will look good.

Audio quality is another area where this car lags behind and thankfully, it's just the fault of the speakers. The head unit is fine as many other Hyundai Forum members have reported and it's only a matter of giving it speakers that can cash the checks the head unit is writing. Our sound guy at work has hooked me up with a set of four 6 1/2" Clarion coaxial speakers with crossovers and although he's been absurdly busy, we're hoping to have them in tomorrow or sometime this week. I have no want or need for a sub or bazooka tube...just better sound will make me happy.

I eventually plan on adding the KDM (Korean Domestic Model) headlights which have clear corners and OEM projector headlights with HIDs although they are expensive so that will likely be a tax refund item, based on how much I get back. I'm also looking into having the stock wheels powdercoated a light gunmetal gray (think Sonata Turbo wheels) although that's all dependent on how well the plastic center caps can handle the heat. I'm guessing a solution will need to be found there but all that in time. When it warms up I'm also going to remove the 'Elantra' and 'Limited' badges from the trunk and I've even considered plasti-dipping the flying H in matte black.

All in all, I'm very happy with the car and with gas over $4 here now, I'm mighty glad I got it when I did. Also, it's something I can see myself owning and happily driving for well over 250,000 miles, even when I do get something impractically stupid and fun to drive (think S2000) a few years down the road.

I will keep y'all posted.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:31 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,911 Likes on 2,614 Posts
Hard to judge accurate mpg in the first few tanks, the engine is still getting broken in and mileage is typically worse, and betters over time. Especially as the computer in the car starts to "learn" how you drive.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:36 AM
Goodbye.

Received 584 Likes on 423 Posts
Great little car! I almost bought it....but ended up getting the TSX instead.

The funniest bit when testing the Elantra was the sales guy telling me that no matter how much money I throw at it, there was no way to get power seats
Old 03-14-2012, 05:26 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
It has heated REAR seats? Whoa!

Quick Reply: Got Tired of the Santa Fe...