got me a beater!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 08:39 AM
Money is funny.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
got me a beater!

So I picked up a 99 SC300 with 89k on the clock. So far, this car is pretty cushy and more fun to drive than my 00 tl, but surprisingly not as much fun as I thought it would be. Picked it up for 5400 and it's been great so far except for a squeal from the rear that happens whenever I brake. The brake pads are fine though...don't know what the squeal could be. Anyone have experience long-term withthe old SC models? From what I hear, it is a potential beast with some minor mods...
Old 04-23-2007, 09:32 AM
Nick

Since I have a '95 Supra turbo, most of the mods you could consider for your SC300 would be along the lines of what's done to Supras ...as you probably know the 2JZ-GE motor in yours is closely related though not exactly the same in every detail to the 2JZ-GTE; still, there are plenty of mods to crank up on that nice car you have, limited only by your budget and imagination.

It's easy to check just to make sure whether it's the simpler brake pad noise or not, if you jack up the rear where the squeel is, move the wheel back and forth pushing on the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock positions, then the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock ...checking for any play at all which would indicate worn rear wheel bearing.

Since you are in KofP PA and I'm in a western suburb of Philly, if you want to talk to very nice, knowledgeable, and reasonably priced guys about doing some of the mod work, let me know. There are two local guys I know who've turbo'd their SC300's, very nicely done, one is known in the area as "the Supra doctor" and the other guy is the owner of First State Motorsports near Wilmington DE, both of these SC's have way over 600 whp and are daily drivers.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:41 AM
Money is funny.

really? that's hotness..I may have to do that once I figure out what I can do. I know about the 2jz-ge motor, i guess if i throw a turbo on there it will become a 2jz-gte motor...hahaha...but will the auto tranny handle the extra juice? That's my primary concern. I know with our tl's we have some glass trannies. I am seriously considering a manual swap as I still have about 6k to play with...but there's so much involved there I'm almost afraid to start anything too crazy since this will be my new daily driver (TL will be the family mover when I am driving on weekends...SC will be strictly for to and from work..maybe to and from the track too...lol...I have read much about the reliability and that I can expect many more miles out of this car which is why I jumped on it so fast...my first mod on order though would be an HID setup. However, do I need to swap out the factory projectors? Are they that bad with projecting xenon light?
Old 04-23-2007, 11:27 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Why not just get a 5-speed SC300? Nice beater, btw, usually when I think of a beater I imagine a 91 Accord.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:42 AM
Nick

there are also some internal differences between the ge and gte motors besides just the turbo, but the ge is still a very capable base for mods. In case you don't already know, check out the NA-T sites for example this is one http://www.supraforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16 the NA-T info is specific to turbocharging the NA motors and you can find out about nice reasonably priced kits, and also about their experiences with the stock auto trans; I barely pay attention to that since I don't have an automatic.

I think if your tranny is in good shape, it will hold up to well over 400whp if you don't beat the hell out of it ...drag racing etc. As you get above that you will have to go with a built up tranny. Six speed swaps are appealing to some and VERY EXPENSIVE, I have a 6sp so I can understand the appeal, the Getrag 6 sp is nearly indestructible plus I track my car (roadcourse DE events) where having an auto barely makes sense.

My buddy who lives in KofP has a '98 Supra turbo and he has a nice HID conversion; here's his website http://community.webshots.com/user/montegobay1100 and I think the last pic in "my supratt 98" folder is the HID kit; there may be other pics and info there too, I forget. I'll have to ask him about the projectors since I'm not sure, but I have to call him today so I'll ask. PS: I hear TSX projectors and headlights are the hot ticket, but I don't know how/if they fit SC's and Supras.

Last edited by TSXey; 04-23-2007 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:59 PM
Money is funny.

i go to costco: That was my first choice, except I only came across two (they are pretty rare) and the two I came across were 95 models and they looked like utter shit. Seems like most SC300's in stick are at least around 92-95 and are in real shitty condition...

TSXey...seen that Supra around before...that's so weird...hahaha...i'm prolly not gonna do a 6 spd conversion unless I find a plac that will let me hang around while they do the work...but it's a possibilty...and it's ironic, the catz kit he gt is what I ordered except i went with 6000ks. Hopefully pulling the existing projectors out will be easy and TSX ones will fit..have you ever seen an HID setup with some clean new OEM headlight casings? I don't wanna go ahead to get new projectors if they aren't necessary...
Old 04-23-2007, 02:05 PM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
thats a beater car?
Old 04-23-2007, 02:16 PM
I need 2 more gears

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
you got a killer deal. 5400.00 for a 99 SC300 with only 89k? that's a steal, mod that bitch up!
Old 04-23-2007, 02:19 PM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
nice choice and lets see some pics
Old 04-23-2007, 02:29 PM
Money is funny.

sbuswell, exactly! I've been seeing them on ebay go for about 8900 or so...pics to come...once I get this HID kit in there...hopefully the clarity is not so bad...I'm gonna try and get some pics of the whole headlight. TSXey, I don't suppose you know how tough it is to do the timing belt on one of these, do you? Is it the same as the TL when you do the tensioner and water pump at the same time? other than that, all I have to worry about is new tires, a new windshield, and i gotta figure out why my rear driver's side is squeaking...anyone ever do a windshield by themselves?
Old 04-23-2007, 02:38 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You lucky bastard, I want one but 5spd..I found one awhile ago but was broke at the time. I wanna get it and boost the hell out of it...
Old 04-23-2007, 02:44 PM
Money is funny.

hahaha...cl-platano...I was looking for a 5spd too, but as you know they are hard as shit to come by. When you do find one, they tend to be excessively high mileage and beat to death. But my first thought when I heard that there was such a thing was the same as you...BOOST!!! from what I have seen though, it's also hard to find one with an interior in good condition...mine included. I need to do some conditioning and cleaning with the leather...and there are two very unsightly cracks in the driver's seat...but noone except me ever sees them so oh well..lol...
Old 04-23-2007, 03:53 PM
Nick

Good idea to do a new timing belt (stock belt is all you'll need) though the motor is non-interference so no danger if it breaks other than being stranded. It's not tougher than any car, just probably makes sense to remove the radiator, etc. to get at it all. And you're right, if you do the timing belt, definitely do the water pump (shaft seal leak is a known weakness as you approach 100k) plus also consider replacing the crank dampener pulley while your in that area (stock replacement is just fine) and as you said, also the belt tensioner has been known to break in high hp cars.

On headlight assemblies, the USDM Supras had plastic headlight covers which even with good care tend to get hazy or even yellowish. I think the SC headlights were similar. There are published details on how to bring these back to perfect, I guess start by just polishing the outside surface with clear plastic polish compound and see how it looks; but if you decide you have to clean/polish the inside you have to take apart the headlight assembly, remove the front lens ...by heating the assembly carefully in a low temp oven. Instead of all that, I just replaced mine with Euro lights which were glass lenses not plastic. They are crystal clear ...I saved my old ones for a project when I have time.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:29 PM
Safety Car

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
what a deal you got for SC300. 5 grand for a '99 lexus is damn good. its much better than beater
Old 04-23-2007, 09:26 PM
Money is funny.

i've heard of these glass headlights...I wonder if the later generations of that model have them...mine are a little yellow. Thanx for the good advice!

mink...I suppose it's better than your average beater, lol...but I meant it in the sense of my new daily driver...I suppose that's a better term, huh?

Also, I've noticed that after replacing the brake pads, It kinda smells like burnt brake fluid on the passenger rear. A little brake fluid was leaking but seems to be due to a loose bolt, so it got over some of the caliper. I don't ever remember replacing pads and smelling it quite like that...would it possibly be just the leaked fluid?
Old 04-23-2007, 10:02 PM
Nick

relating to your HID and projectors question, funny thing is when I got home today there was a recall notice from Honda for my '04 TSX headlight assemblies, to be replaced at no charge due to potential water leakage or something like that. So I wonder what the dealers do with all those headlight assemblies that are turned in for the recall but are not really a problem, especially if you just want to pull out the projectors? I'm gonna see if they will sell me back my perfect original headlight assemblies for scrap value or whatever.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:30 PM
Unregistered user

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
that's a nice car... it's not a beater... don't you have a problem in the morning picking which car to drive?
Old 04-24-2007, 07:45 AM
Money is funny.

TSXey, yeah...tat's got me curious too...I wonder if they toss em out or send them back in to the manufacturer for reimbursement...there's gotta be a way to take advantage of that. Did you ask them if they would let you keep the old ones? Probably not, but worth a shot, right? If they end up selling it to you, let me know how much they are. I may just go to the dealer and ask if I can buy the scrap ones too.

lippstuh...lol...actually I love my TL more which is why I am less inclined to rack up the miles during my stop and go in the mornings to work. The SC is more my daily driver. Although, honestly I never knew what to think of that generation SC since you can find a lot of the 92-97 models in the ghetto all over the place. Wile I was looking I came across MANY 92 models with at least 150k and all kinds of cosmetic damage. So I kinda chalked it up to being the ghetto fabulous cruiser...kinda like the 2nd gen Lexus ES...of which I see plenty for sale with high mileage and crappy aesthetics...so I guess I really don't know the value of this car as much as i thought I did..
Old 04-24-2007, 02:01 PM
Money is funny.

So i took the SC into a local shop and they said that my PASSENGER side caliper is bad as it will not allow the wheel to spin freely like the driver side...does this sound legit? He said I need a whole new caliper, but when I installed my pads last night everything went fine...am I being scammed here?
Old 04-24-2007, 03:39 PM
Nick

hard to say if you need a complete new caliper, but if it's interfering with the rotor when the brakes are not applied something is wrong for sure. You can get OEM kits to rebuild the caliper for a lot less than a new caliper.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:40 PM
Money is funny.

this is awesome...I never knew there was a repair kit...well off to napa for me...I'll post updates! Thanks for all of the good advice TSXey!!!