Got caught driving with a suspended license

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 02:48 PM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by oonowindoo
so you are saying that u have NEVER driven your car after a few beers? NEVER?

Alot of my friends have DUI and most of them were perfectly fine... 1 of them had only 1 beer.. and got DUI... Yes it is still not right to drink and drive.
It's not about us or your friends. It's about the dipshit poster who made the choice to drive while intoxicated on expired tags and got caught.

Plus, what exactly did JensH say for you to accuse him of driving after a few beers? Nothing in his post indicated he was being "saint-like". He was stating a FACT - driving is a privilege and the OP abused that privilege and now can't drive. Pity...
Old 05-04-2007, 02:59 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just to clear things up...im not advocating that driving like this is OK....alot of you are attacking me and making it sound like im a dumbass who doesnt think that my DUI is wrong, and that i insist on driving because i dont care.

thats not the facts. to the guy who said to use public transportation...THERE IS NONE WHERE I LIVE....i live in an upperclass suburb where EVERYONE uses a car. no joke, they have a few buses that go through downtown and connect to a train station, but they are spaced out every hour and take long ass detours to get anywhere. come to walnut creek/lafayette and try to get through the counties here without a car. the bus system here caters to each city itself, but there is NO bus that links all 3 or 4 cities together.

i DO NOT WANT TO DRIVE. i fucking hate driving, i fucking hate america for being a driving society. i take my bike to run errands, and get my friends to drive me whenever possible. but school is what is fucking me up right now. im a commuter student with no license, how does that work. i have to go to school, i have no choice. right now school is more important than anything, and if im paying $2000 a class, than damn right im gonna be driving to get to that class.

TRIPP- i did not drive intoxicated and without tags and get caught. i got a DUI last year for a bad decision, one that i know was wrong. dont lecture me about other familes who have lost people to DUI. i have been exposed to more anti-dui shit than you will in your entire life. ive seen people whos heads have been exploded and limbs cut off due to DUI drivers. i know DUI is fucked up, thats why i never do it anymore and i encourage my friends to do the same. thats ALL i can do about that...nothing else, short of joining MADD.

this is really getting off topic. i just want advice on WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN FOR DRIVING WITH A SUSPENDED LICENSE. this is not an ethics debate about the wrongs and rights of DUI, or any of that shit. i just need legal advice
Old 05-04-2007, 03:02 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
i am just saying... yes it is wrong for him to DUI.. drive with expired tags... drive with suspended license.

but some of u sounded like u never drove under the influence...the only difference is u were luckier than he was.

The point is he learned his lesson and he wont do it again that is the whole purpose of all this crap.

I dont know about u guys. i might be the minority here... if i lost my license to drive and i have to go to work and school... i would probably end up driving after a few month myself.. but i would make sure i dont have an expired tag or any excuses that would make the cop pull me over.

asking favor from friends and family is cool only to certain extend....
Old 05-04-2007, 03:06 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Don't come on here telling us how you broke the law and then ask for advice unless you want to hear a shitload about how much of an idiot you are. We may not all be perfect, but we all had enough common sense to realize that if we were in the same boat, we would not be out driving, especially with EXPIRED tags.

It's not about how you got into this situation or how tough your life is or even how the system isn't fair to people like you. What it is about it your inability to make smart decisions. YOUR actions are what got YOU into your current situation. And the reality is, there is no one you should be more upset with at this point than yourself for your own stupid behavior.

And your story about how you ended up with a DUI not only doesn't help your cause, but makes you even look more foolish. If you were drinking, you should have said that to your friend and told him you would get him in the morning. If he was stupid enough to get arrested, then a night in a holding cell probably isn't a bad idea. If you had enough common sense to make a good decision then, you would not have to hear all the shit from us right now.

So stop your bitching about how shitty your situation is and fucking get over it. You landed yourself in this situation so you should be the one to fix it. People here will happily help someone who ends up in a bad situation because of extenuating circumstances, but you put yourself where you are and if you expected to get any but an earful (or in this case an eyeful) of comments about your stupidity, you clearly fail to realize the dynamic of this place.
i agree, you make it sound like im not blaming myself. i am, im a fucking idiot for getting a DUI in the first place. im fucking idiot for driving. i WOULD NOT BE FUCKING DRIVING IF I LIVED IN A CITY WITH A DECENT TRANSPORTATION SYSTEM. i grew up in san francisco, and used the bus EVERY DAY. i tried commuting using the contra costa bus system, but the fact is that they are inept and incapable of getting me where i need to be....they are unreliable and the routes do not match eachother at all.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:08 PM
Team Owner

i just asked my friend who works at the law office who deals with his type of shit.

he said there will be a fine..... suspend your license for a few more years. and u probably will have to go to court.

most likely you wont go to jail but i guess that depends on the judge.

so u better start looking for a part time taxi driver.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 05-04-2007 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:12 PM
Pro

thanks oowindoo for realizing my situation...how many times do i have to say that ive totally changed my lifestyle after this DUI. not only have i stopped drinking, but ive cut back my driving habits by over %50. the only times i drive now are to get to school, thats IT. its a 20 minute round trip every day drive, 3 hour round trip via public transit.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:14 PM
Pro

haha great.....more years without a license. i have one more year of school too. what the fuck am i going to do. if there wasnt a mountain between my house and my school, i would love to bike everyday. but theres no way in hell i can climb up that road, plus there are NO BIKE LANES HERE!!! i cant believe how driver oriented this county is...no bike lanes, shitty transit, its almost like they force you to drive.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:17 PM
Dan
Safety Car

Received 220 Likes on 127 Posts
Are you Mexican?

In California they will probably just tell you to not do it again and send you on your merry way. Don't worry about the tags or insurance either!
Old 05-04-2007, 03:21 PM
Pro

yea that doesnt make any sense either...ive been in court many times....and seriously there is always a handful of mexicans there for insurance and license violations. they usually just get a fine and the judge sends them on their way. they dont even get their resident status checked either...

of course, the judge will be harder on us american citizens right???
Old 05-04-2007, 03:22 PM
Disinformation Terminator

GET A LAWYER, NOW. RIGHT FUCKING NOW.

Stop asking what to do here dude, its the wrong place to go.

Nobody on this board can tell you jack shit that will help you. You need legal council go get you through the legal system there in the East Bay. Otherwise, the judge will nail you to the wall with the nail gun of his choice. It also makes me wonder who represented you the first time, because the FIRST thing your lawyer should have done is get you a work/school exemption to your licence after your DUI conviction.

A DUI experienced lawyer can tell you what your options are, and they can get you a WAY better outcome than you could get yourself. Trust me.

Google for Walnut Creek DUI lawyer, and start there. Most initial consultations are free.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:27 PM
Pro

i dont have money for a lawyer!!! seriously....i have no fucking money

talk about my luck....i found a ride to school today, and another friend of mine gets in a car accident and needs to get picked up....so my ride is gone and i have a test in 30 minutes....what am i gonna do...i have to drive, no choice. fuck my life
Old 05-04-2007, 03:30 PM
Pro

actually your right mirror...im gonna get a lawyer for this....they do monthly payment plans right???
Old 05-04-2007, 03:32 PM
Dan
Safety Car

Received 220 Likes on 127 Posts
"i fucking hate america for being a driving society" (dont' drive)

"i just need legal advice" ( and may be psychiatric advise?)

"i dont really want to hear shit about driving with a suspended license" ( so I will post on a public BB known for abusing morons)

"as soon as school is over im leaving this country" ( don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out)

I am not feeling the love here. Hope the guy at the gun shop says NO!
Old 05-04-2007, 03:38 PM

Laywer's are ALWAYS happy to take your money, they work with broke clients all the time. I'm sure something could be worked out.

One thing is for sure, its money well spent. Just leaving yourself at the mercy of the system will JACK YOU UP. You need a navigator, in this case, legal council. Borrow from your friends if you have to.

-Mirror
Originally Posted by Trojanman750
actually your right mirror...im gonna get a lawyer for this....they do monthly payment plans right???
Old 05-04-2007, 03:46 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
You'll probably need to pay an initial retainer, and depending on what the lawyer thinks, you might get billed for more.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:47 PM
Quattro in.....

talk about my luck....i found a ride to school today, and another friend of mine gets in a car accident and needs to get picked up....so my ride is gone and i have a test in 30 minutes....what am i gonna do...i have to drive, no choice. fuck my life
You do have a choice. Call your instructor and explain your situation and request a makup test. Let them know you are taking public transportation in and approximate the time it will take you to get there.

You also mentioned you lived in an upper class neighborhood, can't you borrow $ from your parents and take car service to school to take the exam.

Or else:

Under AB 3148, for a second offense within five years, the driver faces a mandatory jail sentence, impoundment and forfeiture of the car.

Penalties for Driving With a Suspended License in California http://www.southern-california-dui-d...ithout_license

Driving on a suspended license is a misdemeanor offense and punishment may include probation, jail time and substantial fines. Penalties in a given case depend on (1) the reason the license was suspended and (2) whether the defendant suffered prior convictions for driving with a suspended license. Generally, penalties are higher if the license was suspended or revoked because of a DUI conviction, a vehicular manslaughter conviction, or a finding that the driver is a habitual traffic offender.

In practice, prosecutors are often willing to reduce driving on suspended license cases to lesser offenses, to non-criminal infractions, or to dismiss them altogether. This is especially true if the person has no criminal history, and if he takes steps to get his California drivers license reinstated prior to the resolution of the criminal case. A good criminal defense attorney can usually help you reach a favorable resolution of your case.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:58 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
shit i dont need to hear about the DUI....thats in the past. luckily i dont drink and drive anymore, i rarely even drink

im not asking for your sympathy, but to the person who commented about putting people like me in jail?? why dont you come down to the DUI meetings i have to go to everyday. people of every social ethic background are in there....people make mistakes for DUI and we all know it. hopefuly we make the change and thats all that reallly matters. im in the program with doctors, lucasfilm set creators, hot girls, and yes the occasional alcoholic or drug abuser.

but yea 10 days in jail...thats going to be fun. as soon as school is over im leaving this country. im going to settle up in tokyo and let this bullshit pass over, i dont need a car there.
I wonder if we know
How they live in Tokyo (hai!)
If you see it, AND you mean it,
Then you know you have to go
Fast and furious (kita) (Drift, Drift, Drift)

Don't forget to wear your Wabaki in class.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:06 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by EuRTSX
I wonder if we know
How they live in Tokyo (hai!)
If you see it, AND you mean it,
Then you know you have to go

Don't forget to wear your Wabaki in class.
ok... Prince of Tennis? Japanese writings under your name... all these japanese talks..

r u japanese or r u one of those chinese fobs who dress like japanese and wanna be like japanese? :gheylaugh:
Old 05-04-2007, 04:35 PM
In the Mid-South meow

Received 2,162 Likes on 1,099 Posts
Wow. Listen, I had a DUI in my past too, and like you, I had my license suspended as well. I appreciate the fact you admit you know you were an idiot for driving after drinking and that's in the past and you don't do it anymore. And anyone bashing him because of this needs to step back and think for a second "Have I ever driven drunk before?". I'm going to assume 99% of those bashing him have, the difference is you haven't gotten caught... yet.

But, and here's the big but, the fact is that you could've found alternative ways to get around with out driving yourself. I had to have my Mom drive me to the train station 10 miles away every morning for months (I was 24 years old at the time, totally sucked) and then ride the freezing smelly Metro train 40 miles each way to work. I also had to have my buddy pick me up every day after I got out of my alcohol education class, not to mention I had to run to my class after I got off the train in the middle of a snowy and rainy Connecticut winter because if I was late twice I got kicked out of the program and faced more serious charges. It sucked really bad, but I did it, and after I went through with it I understood just why I had to go through it, because like it was stated before, driving is a privillage and not a right. It doesn't matter if your freegn grandmothers house is on fire and you don't have any other means to get there other than your car. When you have a suspended license and you drive you take a chance of getting caught and now all that you face is all YOUR fault, not the mountain that lies between where you live and school, or the fact there's no public transpertation or the public transpertation goes a round-a-bout way. Those are all excuses and there's no one or nothing else to blame but YOU.

So YOU should go get a lawyer. Again, the no money excuse is just that, an excuse, laywers have payment plans for a reason. Have them try to help get some of what you're facing reduced. And all the bashing you're getting... really, what do you expect, sypathy or people to not give their opinions and just give you the facts about what you'll face in jail time or fines???

My main advice to you is you need to think before you act.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:41 PM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
If you know you have a suspended license, why wouldn't you go out of your way to make sure that you have all of your shit in order to avoid getting stopped?

No sympathy for you being an idiot.

I got a (BS) DUI, spent 26 hours in jail (completely sober), lost my license for 90 days. Sucked it up, learned from it, and I will never do it again... I didn't drive once in 90 days in fear that I would get pulled over and lose my DL for even longer. I car pooled to work, had my wife drive me every where else. I did what I had to do.

Luckily I got my DUI reduced to a wreckless driving charge. which cost another 2500. But it was worth it because I didnt have to do the community service thing.

Look, You fucked up. You went against a court order. You took your prospects of driving again into your own hands. You made your bed. Time to lay in it.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts

Might not want to buy a fish tank then. https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/any-fish-tank-owners-here-newbie-lookin-tips-364622/

I dont see many people here bashing you for getting the DUI, it was a mistake. They are bashing you for not being responsible and handling the punishment thats given from the DUI.

Im sure your school even offers online courses.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:42 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
ok... Prince of Tennis? Japanese writings under your name... all these japanese talks..

r u japanese or r u one of those chinese fobs who dress like japanese and wanna be like japanese? :gheylaugh:

Not even close. Born in Houston. Relax boss, was trying to ease the tension in this room.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:52 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
people make mistakes for DUI and we all know it. hopefuly we make the change and thats all that reallly matters.
Sure, you don't drink and drive anymore, but you're still breaking the law, causing one problem instead of another...And the person who will suffer most is yourself (by prolonging the consequences and adding more charges!). So why continue to make things worse for yourself when you already hate dealing with consequence #1?!
Old 05-04-2007, 05:57 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
cdo you want to drive me to schoool every day you fucking genius??
Nah...No thanks. You can walk, ride your bike, take the train, take the bus, or call a cab. That's the point....Deal with your mistakes and learn from them. Pssstt: That involves accepting the consequences. It really makes you value your privilege to drive, doesn't it?! <--- I'm glad the message is getting across. Hopefully you won't keep screwing up (knowingly) and lose that privilege permanently one day.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:59 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
:ib
Old 05-04-2007, 06:04 PM
Pro

luckily i caught a break...a friend has a similar class schedule to me and has agreed to drive me...he starts 2 hours earlier so i guess i can chill in the library and study. however this is only for monday, wednesday, and friday. my tuesday thursdays classes im shit outta luck.

the only reason im talking about japan is because my grandpa lives there (im half jap) and i can live there for free and stack money. ive lived in japan almost half my life and i have never had to use a car...ever. you can go from the top of the country to the bottom just by train.

but yeah...looks like a lawyer and some cab fares for a while. i wish i had a motor bike or something, or a bicycle with a small motor, that might make things easier.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:10 PM
Team Owner

luckily i caught a break...a friend has a similar class schedule to me and has agreed to drive me...he starts 2 hours earlier so i guess i can chill in the library and study. however this is only for monday, wednesday, and friday. my tuesday thursdays classes im shit outta luck.

the only reason im talking about japan is because my grandpa lives there (im half jap) and i can live there for free and stack money. ive lived in japan almost half my life and i have never had to use a car...ever. you can go from the top of the country to the bottom just by train.

but yeah...looks like a lawyer and some cab fares for a while. i wish i had a motor bike or something, or a bicycle with a small motor, that might make things easier.

I need to get some relatives in Japan, always wanted to live there a couple years. Sounds great man, just get away from it all. Just deal with it for a couple of years man, man up and take it I'd do anything just to get away from this place I live in now.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:22 PM
In the Mid-South meow

ive lived in japan almost half my life and i have never had to use a car...ever. you can go from the top of the country to the bottom just by train.
You can in America too, it's called Amtrak.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:28 PM
Pro

hahahahahaa amtrak is a JOKE compared to any light rail system in asia or europe...

and im not talking about just leaving the country...im gonna handle my shit here, but to help wait out the 3-7 years of suspension, plus my 3 years of probation for the DUI, it would help for me not to be in the US and liable to get pulled over for anything. thats a long stretch of time to not get pulled over
Old 05-04-2007, 06:28 PM
In the Mid-South meow

FYI: http://www.cccta.org/wb/pages/bus-schedules.php
Old 05-04-2007, 07:00 PM
Pro

damn paris hilton got 45 days in jail for driving without a license TWICE....

alrite, im really not driving anymore now. im gonna ask my dad if he can take a quick lunch break from work and drive me. hes about 30 minutes away from where i live, but hopefully he can. its only on tuesdays and thursdays.....

if you check the bus scedules, you can see how bad they are. the bus i needs only comes every hour and stops running after some ridiculously early time...
Old 05-04-2007, 07:04 PM
Pro

god the CCC is so fucking stupid...THEY DONT INTERSECT THEIR LINES.......they have a bus line that runs from each local train station, that does a little circle route around the surrounding city and returns to the station. if they just had one bus that ran through each county/city it would be problem fucking solved, i could take it everyday. but each bus line runs on its own independant line and they never meet anywhere....ARGHHHHH

alrite ive been checkin the lines...did find one good route, but thats only for summer school because i go to a different school for that (20 min car ride on freeway). i still need to find a solution for my main school though
Old 05-04-2007, 07:06 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
people like me raise your insurance premiums??? what the fuck are you talking about....do you want to drive me to schoool every day you fucking genius?? you people all act like you stand on some pedestal of greatness because of your clean cut driving records. am i the only person on here with a DUI conviction?? that would be amazing..
Dude, fuck that.

You should've thought about the consequences before you decided to get behind the wheel.

It's fucking laughable that you're whining about how you have to drive to school. It was purely your fault that you are in this situation.

When I was younger, I had my license suspended because I had several speeding tickets. But guess what? I didn't drive!! I didn't drive because I know what I did was wrong and that was my punishment. I wasn't about to make it worse by driving on a suspended license and dig myself into a deeper hole. I had to go to school, and carry out my everyday life activities, just like you and everybody else. But I dealt with the inconvenience because it was my fault.

Grow the fuck up.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:16 PM

Oh man, that's for sure.

hahahahahaa amtrak is a JOKE compared to any light rail system in asia or europe...
Old 05-04-2007, 08:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts

dude- just a heads up - i don't know what the law is where you are but if you get a bike w/ a motor (or a scooter e.g.) on it in florida and if it is 50cc or over- you need to have a valid d/l to operate it.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:06 PM
Pro

well, i talked to a friend and i said i'll pay him 20 bucks a day to drive me to school, and he agreed. so bye bye car, bye bye wallet money.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:18 PM
Senior Moderator

20 bucks a day?!

Why would you offer so much? Could maybe cab it for less.

Real friend would do it forfree for understanding the shit you are in. Least pay for gas money and thats fair, but $20 a day... damn!

Shit im not your friend and would drive you to school if i was paid $20 a day. Just paint my car yellow and give me a turban...
Old 05-04-2007, 09:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Oh do you go to a big school? Post up at the schools bulletin board offering someone to car pool with you.

Hell, offer $50 a week to them. Most poor college students would jump for that.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:23 PM
Pro

cab would easily be 30 bucks each way. the drive to my school from my apartment is not fun, it goes through congested back streets in the countryside, over a big hill and its only a 10 mile drive each way. i think 20 is reasonable....being a burden on someone else like that is just embarassing for me, but im really not going to risk getting pulled over again. im tempted to sell my car to kill the temptation to drive. taking the bus and transit is around $10-15 dollars, freaking 2 dollar bus fare and they dont even give transfers, plus BART is not cheap either...
Old 05-04-2007, 10:24 PM
Pro

id rather pay 20 and get to school in 20-30 minutes than take the bus and spend 3 hours a day on public transit....for real. im going to have something nice to vent about in my DUI class about tommorow...

Quick Reply: Got caught driving with a suspended license