Got caught driving with a suspended license

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 03:10 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got caught driving with a suspended license

i got pulled over today because my tags werent up to date (it was my bucket, i dont really drive it too much)

i have a suspended license, due to a DUI last year. since then ive done a big reversal, i rarely drink and i dont drive unless i need to. i live in the suburbs, and the mass transit is ridiculous. to get to my school (20 minute drive) would take 1 bus, then a train ride, then another bus ride totalling over 1 hours time. I HAVE to get to school, i have no other choice, so for the past few months ive been driving to school and back, but thats about it. casual driving is pretty much done for me.

i dont really want to hear shit about driving with a suspended license, because in all honestly, this is a hole that alot of people cant get out of. obligations such as work and school take priority over a court ordered license revocation. people get one suspension that last several years, theres no way you can order someone to not drive for several years unless the united states has a mass transit system on par with foreign countries such as europe and japan. i live in tokyo during the summer and do absolutely fine without a car, but here in the suburbs of america, neighborhoods are placed so that pedestrian and bicycle access is limited. i would bike to school, however there is a huge mountain that seperates my residential area with my school, in a different town 10 miles away.

but if anyone has any information about how im going to get fucked over now, id appreciate it. luckily they didnt impound my car, but i have court in 3 months for driving with a suspended license in california. from what ive read, im looking at 7 years suspension, but anything else in terms of fines and what not??

thanks
Old 05-04-2007, 03:22 AM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
sorry to hear that...

how about a studying abroad?
Old 05-04-2007, 03:44 AM
Vollgas auf der Autobahn!

Just as a reminder, Driving is a privelage NOT a right such as your right to freedom of speech. SO if you got busted DUI or DWI etc. etc. they are ofcourse going to take away the privelage. Granted you may not wish to hear sh"t about driving under suspension but likely you will anyway because number one you drove under the influence and then you decided that you being inconvenienced by the fact that your privelage to drive was taken away takes precedence over the law of the land and also the sentence the Judge imposed on you for the first offense.

Jens
Old 05-04-2007, 06:29 AM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Trojanman750
i got pulled over today because my tags werent up to date (it was my bucket, i dont really drive it too much)

i have a suspended license, due to a DUI last year. since then ive done a big reversal, i rarely drink and i dont drive unless i need to. i live in the suburbs, and the mass transit is ridiculous. to get to my school (20 minute drive) would take 1 bus, then a train ride, then another bus ride totalling over 1 hours time. I HAVE to get to school, i have no other choice, so for the past few months ive been driving to school and back, but thats about it. casual driving is pretty much done for me.

i dont really want to hear shit about driving with a suspended license, because in all honestly, this is a hole that alot of people cant get out of. obligations such as work and school take priority over a court ordered license revocation. people get one suspension that last several years, theres no way you can order someone to not drive for several years unless the united states has a mass transit system on par with foreign countries such as europe and japan. i live in tokyo during the summer and do absolutely fine without a car, but here in the suburbs of america, neighborhoods are placed so that pedestrian and bicycle access is limited. i would bike to school, however there is a huge mountain that seperates my residential area with my school, in a different town 10 miles away.

but if anyone has any information about how im going to get fucked over now, id appreciate it. luckily they didnt impound my car, but i have court in 3 months for driving with a suspended license in california. from what ive read, im looking at 7 years suspension, but anything else in terms of fines and what not??

thanks
Sorry, no sympathy. Having a suspended licence must suck, especially if you've changed your ways, but that's called dealing with the consequences of your actions (DUI). The only way to move forward would be to obey the rules and limitations of your consequences until such time that it is complete. By not following the rules, you are only prolonging the 'punishment' (you got caught and now you're even more f*cked! Was it worth it??).

And for it taking one hour via public transit.....to that I say: Deal with it!
You brought it on yourself.

And an FYI: LOTS of people are inconvenienced by a 1, 1.5, and 2 hour commute to work each day, whether it be by car or mass transit, and that's without having a suspended licence. If it's too far -- move closer or change schools/jobs. I don't find that commute unusual at all, especially if it's by choice. I agree that you still need to go to work and school, but does it take precedence over a suspended licence? Nope. You just need to get there another way.....You could always walk, bike, take the bus, train, carpool, or take a taxi, etc.

Old 05-04-2007, 06:38 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
If you know you have a suspended license, why wouldn't you go out of your way to make sure that you have all of your shit in order to avoid getting stopped?

No sympathy for you being an idiot.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:00 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
If you know you have a suspended license, why wouldn't you go out of your way to make sure that you have all of your shit in order to avoid getting stopped?

No sympathy for you being an idiot.
+1

I know each state is different, but here in the Midwest, you're able to go in front of the judge and obtain a hardship license which allows you to drive from home to work or from home to school, but limited only to a few, mandatory places.

Why didn't you try this route?
Old 05-04-2007, 07:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,663 Likes on 928 Posts
w/ Jens, Street Spirit and CGTSX.

And BTW, I commute 1hr each way per day. Take if from someone who knows, having a book in hand and an iPod in ears makes mass transit commutes very tolerable.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
What happens next depends on the state you live in, I think. But in NJ, if you keep getting caught driving w/ a suspended license, you're looking at jail time in addition to another period of suspension. However, on a first time offense, you'll probably just get your suspension extended. So stop driving on a suspended license....like others said, you brought it on yourself and now have to deal with the consequences. Take what mass transit there is, or ask someone to drive you around sometimes. I agree that public transportation sucks in most places, but there's nothing you can do but suck it up.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
obligations such as work and school take priority over a court ordered license revocation.
funny...i thought obligations such as work and school take priority over deciding to drink and drive which lead up to the DUI.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
In this case give your car keys to someone. This way your not tempted to drive. If you can get to school by public transportation then great do it no matter how long it takes. You have friends? Get rides & pay for gas. Take taxi's. You'd be surprised the ways you can get around when your forced to.

For your legal troubles.....No advise there.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:15 AM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
I spent most of my high school days up until now getting rides from friends and paying them for gas to most places. Didn't seem to phase me.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:50 AM
Pre-Registered Member

Received 246 Likes on 150 Posts
In California 1st DUI carries a six months suspension, as soon as person enrolls in a DUI school, pays license re-issue fee and has proof of high risk insurance, you get restricted license. restriction then lifted within six month. 2nd DUI is a hard two years suspension and 3rd DUI is a three years revocation of driver license. OP ether did not bother to get license/insurance or is on 2nd/3rd DUI term.
No sympathy for an idiot. Was an idiot for driving drunk, still an idiot for not obeying the law.
You are now looking at mandatory minimum of 10 days jail for the first driving on suspended offense, much more for subsequent, mandatory ignition interlock device (blow to start any car you drive) for three years, about $2000 in fines and three years probation.
Congratulation, you earned it. Enjoy.

Last edited by odessa; 05-04-2007 at 08:52 AM.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
i like how people do idiotic things (not just driving while intoxicated, but actually getting caught), then blame it on the "system" and how tough the system makes it for them.

i'm not exactly sure, but I think that's why they call it PUNISHMENT.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Shouldnt of been drinking and driving....I always have a DD or am the DD when i go out to have fun
Old 05-04-2007, 10:07 AM
Instructor

I love to put people like you in jail
Old 05-04-2007, 10:20 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
i dont really want to hear shit about driving with a suspended license, because in all honestly, this is a hole that alot of people cant get out of.
thanks
It's also a hole that most people shouldn't get into. I understand your change and you are going to school and i give you tumbs up for that. But, at 20 you should know better than the Drink and Drive and you should know even better at 21 not to drive with a suspended license.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
wow, I suprised they didn't impound the car. That doesn't make any sense.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
don't know about the laws in california- maybe your facing jail like others have stated.

no sympathy here!
Old 05-04-2007, 10:31 AM
Not Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
Get a lawyer, because you may lose you license for a while.

http://www.duisantacruz.com/Practice...ed-License.asp

Were you under 21 when you got your DUI, they really don't like underage DUI's? Is your's a restricted license that allows you to drive to work, if so and you were going to school a lawyer may be able to help you out. Otherwise if you just go in on your own and say sorry, your screwed!
Old 05-04-2007, 12:42 PM
Pro

shit i dont need to hear about the DUI....thats in the past. luckily i dont drink and drive anymore, i rarely even drink

im not asking for your sympathy, but to the person who commented about putting people like me in jail?? why dont you come down to the DUI meetings i have to go to everyday. people of every social ethic background are in there....people make mistakes for DUI and we all know it. hopefuly we make the change and thats all that reallly matters. im in the program with doctors, lucasfilm set creators, hot girls, and yes the occasional alcoholic or drug abuser.

but yea 10 days in jail...thats going to be fun. as soon as school is over im leaving this country. im going to settle up in tokyo and let this bullshit pass over, i dont need a car there.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:48 PM
Cruising in ATL!!

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
doesn't sound like you learned your lesson.... great plan, leave the county and bail from your mistake. ppl like you is why I have to pay premium price for auto insurance without having any record. Geee thanks alot !
Old 05-04-2007, 12:51 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by synth19
wow, I suprised they didn't impound the car. That doesn't make any sense.
Serious. How did he get his car home? They certainly didnt let him drive home. In fact, dont they arrest you for driving with a suspended license?

What's comedy is that the guy didnt even have the brains to update his registration.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:55 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
shit i dont need to hear about the DUI....thats in the past. luckily i dont drink and drive anymore, i rarely even drink

im not asking for your sympathy, but to the person who commented about putting people like me in jail?? why dont you come down to the DUI meetings i have to go to everyday. people of every social ethic background are in there....people make mistakes for DUI and we all know it. hopefuly we make the change and thats all that reallly matters. im in the program with doctors, lucasfilm set creators, hot girls, and yes the occasional alcoholic or drug abuser.

but yea 10 days in jail...thats going to be fun. as soon as school is over im leaving this country. im going to settle up in tokyo and let this bullshit pass over, i dont need a car there.

ready?
Old 05-04-2007, 12:56 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by MikeCLS6
Shouldnt of been drinking and driving....I always have a DD or am the DD when i go out to have fun
i wasnt partying or doing anything fun the night of my DUI. my stupid fuckhead roomate got into some trouble, and called me to get him out of jail. so my dumbass drives over to go get him and i get poppped. its not really his fault but that whole night shold have been avoided. this DUI really fucked me up, set me back 2 or 3 years. i lost my TL, thousands of dollars, and now i cant even get a job anymore. i drive a shitty ass 91 accord now, and i have weekly dui classes and community service cleaning police buses for hours on end. all this after a night in Oakland jail. luckily i didnt get into an accident, but theres still a lot of shit that is stemming from this.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:59 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by joerockt
Serious. How did he get his car home? They certainly didnt let him drive home. In fact, dont they arrest you for driving with a suspended license?

What's comedy is that the guy didnt even have the brains to update his registration.
cops didnt take my car because they let my roomate come and drive it home....maybe the cop was having a good day. all i got was a ticket for suspended license driving.

people like me raise your insurance premiums??? what the fuck are you talking about....do you want to drive me to schoool every day you fucking genius?? you people all act like you stand on some pedestal of greatness because of your clean cut driving records. am i the only person on here with a DUI conviction?? that would be amazing..
Old 05-04-2007, 01:04 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cops didnt take my car because they let my roomate come and drive it home....maybe the cop was having a good day. all i got was a ticket for suspended license driving.
That and you must have acted really nice or you were scared shitless...
Old 05-04-2007, 01:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Dont expect to come back to the States, this wont just "blow over"

You will then have a warrant out for your arrest and as soon as you get back to the States you will have an all new issues to deal with.

Buy some friends and have them drive you to school.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:11 PM
Newbie for Life

i wasnt partying or doing anything fun the night of my DUI. my stupid fuckhead roomate got into some trouble, and called me to get him out of jail. so my dumbass drives over to go get him and i get poppped.
Gee, don't you think you should have thought ahead a bit? You were obviously intoxicated yet drove over to get your buddy out of jail.

its not really his fault but that whole night shold have been avoided.
Of course YOUR DUI isn't his fault... It's YOUR OWN damn fault. It sounds like you're trying to blame everyone else but yourself.

this DUI really fucked me up, set me back 2 or 3 years. i lost my TL, thousands of dollars, and now i cant even get a job anymore. i drive a shitty ass 91 accord now, and i have weekly dui classes and community service cleaning police buses for hours on end. all this after a night in Oakland jail. luckily i didnt get into an accident, but theres still a lot of shit that is stemming from this.
That's why it's called "punishment". You broke the law and got caught. Shit happens.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:16 PM
Newbie for Life

what the fuck are you talking about....do you want to drive me to schoool every day you fucking genius??
This has been addressed a few times but not answered by you...

Are you able to apply for a "hardship license"? A license where you're still able to drive but only to places you have to go (i.e. school and work).

Here in Indiana, even if you get a DUI/DWI and your license is suspended, you're still able to drive if the judge grants you a hardship license.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Tripp11
This has been addressed a few times but not answered by you...

Are you able to apply for a "hardship license"? A license where you're still able to drive but only to places you have to go (i.e. school and work).

Here in Indiana, even if you get a DUI/DWI and your license is suspended, you're still able to drive if the judge grants you a hardship license.

His lawyer should have gone over this with him if he was good.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:31 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
Each of us chooses to make decisions that tend to have consequences on our lives. This includes deciding to drive while impaired. With all the media telling us not to drink and drive, the decision for you should have been easy. We also all make mistakes. And most of us learn from them. It sounds to me that in your insistence to drive with a suspended license that you haven't really learned anything from your original experience. To further justify your action on your own personal wants and needs isn't a factor. And then to ask advice how to best deal with this problem is just foolish. You talk about the people you need to attend your DUI classes with. Big deal. Attend a few support classes with those who have lost a loved one to impaired drivers instead. Then come back here and justify your behavior.

Terry
Old 05-04-2007, 01:36 PM
G
Bitten.

people like me raise your insurance premiums??? what the fuck are you talking about....do you want to drive me to schoool every day you fucking genius?? you people all act like you stand on some pedestal of greatness because of your clean cut driving records. am i the only person on here with a DUI conviction?? that would be amazing..
Yes, people like you raise insurance premiums-you are a male under the age of 25 who has already had at least one DUI, and now a ticket for driving on a suspended license. You have officially raised the risk for insuring that group.

While it may sound like we are on a pedestal, it is just because your thick skull is still not realizing the consequences of your actions. Lets take a look at your "rap sheet":
You lost your license for a DUI (I don't care if you were on your way to save Mother Teresa herself, you still drove drunk and endangered the other people on the road). You then proceeded to drive on your suspended license (instead of taking mass transmit services designed to take your stupid ass to work and school and paid for by all of our tax dollars) and got caught for not only a suspended license, but also out of date registration. On top of all of that, you are now looking for advice on how to get out of the ticket, or lessen the punishment. Now, you want to run away to Tokyo because they have excellent public transpotation services. I don't know about you, but in my mind, you are far from the model citizen and not someone that has "realized their mistakes and has changed."

Oh, and no one wants to drive you to school-otherwise, you wouldn't be in this position.

Last edited by G; 05-04-2007 at 01:39 PM.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:41 PM
Newbie for Life

Originally Posted by teranfon
You talk about the people you need to attend your DUI classes with. Big deal. Attend a few support classes with those who have lost a loved one to impaired drivers instead. Then come back here and justify your behavior.
+1

Old 05-04-2007, 01:42 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
you people all act like you stand on some pedestal of greatness because of your clean cut driving records. am i the only person on here with a DUI conviction?? that would be amazing..
Don't come on here telling us how you broke the law and then ask for advice unless you want to hear a shitload about how much of an idiot you are. We may not all be perfect, but we all had enough common sense to realize that if we were in the same boat, we would not be out driving, especially with EXPIRED tags.

It's not about how you got into this situation or how tough your life is or even how the system isn't fair to people like you. What it is about it your inability to make smart decisions. YOUR actions are what got YOU into your current situation. And the reality is, there is no one you should be more upset with at this point than yourself for your own stupid behavior.

And your story about how you ended up with a DUI not only doesn't help your cause, but makes you even look more foolish. If you were drinking, you should have said that to your friend and told him you would get him in the morning. If he was stupid enough to get arrested, then a night in a holding cell probably isn't a bad idea. If you had enough common sense to make a good decision then, you would not have to hear all the shit from us right now.

So stop your bitching about how shitty your situation is and fucking get over it. You landed yourself in this situation so you should be the one to fix it. People here will happily help someone who ends up in a bad situation because of extenuating circumstances, but you put yourself where you are and if you expected to get any but an earful (or in this case an eyeful) of comments about your stupidity, you clearly fail to realize the dynamic of this place.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:03 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Originally Posted by JensH1963
Just as a reminder, Driving is a privelage NOT a right such as your right to freedom of speech. SO if you got busted DUI or DWI etc. etc. they are ofcourse going to take away the privelage. Granted you may not wish to hear sh"t about driving under suspension but likely you will anyway because number one you drove under the influence and then you decided that you being inconvenienced by the fact that your privelage to drive was taken away takes precedence over the law of the land and also the sentence the Judge imposed on you for the first offense.

Jens
so you are saying that u have NEVER driven your car after a few beers? NEVER?

Alot of my friends have DUI and most of them were perfectly fine... 1 of them had only 1 beer.. and got DUI... Yes it is still not right to drink and drive.

It is ALOT EASIER TO SAY IT than actually do it! if u were 21 years old and in his situation, you will probably act the same way.
Anyways..

back to the topic.. why didnt u get the restricted license after u got ur DUI? u said ur got ur DUI last year... my gf had a DUI last year too.. she went to AA meeting and court and etc.. she got her restricted license within 1 month or 2. she got her regular license back after 6 month.

and u were stupid to drive with the expire tag...
Old 05-04-2007, 02:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
Alot of my friends have DUI and most of them were perfectly fine... 1 of them had only 1 beer.. and got DUI... Y

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/pgs72duichart.htm
Old 05-04-2007, 02:22 PM
Team Owner

that chart is only useful if EVERYONE is the same.

some ppl absort alcohol really fast and some dont. I have friends who weighs over 300 lbs... 2 beer and he knock the fuck out. and i have friend who is like 6'0 weights 135... he rarely get drunk...

Last edited by oonowindoo; 05-04-2007 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:28 PM
Team Owner

"Technical note: These charts are not legal evidence of actual BAC. Although it is possible for anyone to exceed the designated limits, the charts have been constructed so that fewer than 5 persons in 100 will exceed these limits when drinking the stated amounts on an empty stomach. Actual values can vary by body type, sex, health status, and other factors."

(.01%–.04%) Possible DUI—Definitely unlawful if under 21 years old

(.05%–.07%) Likely DUI—Definitely unlawful if under 21 years old

(.08% Up) Definitely DUI *

if u dont believe me.. next time when u see a cop.. ask him.. "Can u get dui with 1 beer?"

Last edited by oonowindoo; 05-04-2007 at 02:31 PM.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:43 PM
Disinformation Terminator

No kidding, that's the first thing you do is get the hardship exemption. Its good for work or school.

That being said, driving a car with bad tags on a suspended license is just mindboggling to me.

Originally Posted by Crazy Sellout

His lawyer should have gone over this with him if he was good.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:45 PM
Vollgas auf der Autobahn!

so you are saying that u have NEVER driven your car after a few beers? NEVER?

Alot of my friends have DUI and most of them were perfectly fine... 1 of them had only 1 beer.. and got DUI... Yes it is still not right to drink and drive.

It is ALOT EASIER TO SAY IT than actually do it! if u were 21 years old and in his situation, you will probably act the same way.
Anyways..

Oonowindo,

Did I actually say anywhere that I have NEVER had a beer and driven a car? In having read my post again I cannot seem to find the passage that states such a fact nor was I implying that I have never skirted the law. The point here is that the person who opened this thread has a legal problem of considerable size now because this person was arrested for DUI and then after having the License to operate a motor vehicle suspended still continued to drive. And yes like every person who is 22 or older we were all 21 once (me included) and as young people tend to do we all took chances. The fact that I did not get busted is merely a matter of luck and nothing more so I fail to see the relevance of your question or your statements. The bottom line is none of us should drive after drinking and you most certainly should not even dare to entertain the idea to drive a car under a suspended license in blatant defiance of a Judge's decision to punish you.

Jens

Quick Reply: Got caught driving with a suspended license