Goodyear damaged my rim any recourse?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 10:25 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
Goodyear damaged my rim any recourse?

So I had a nail in my driverside rear tire. Being that the car only has a 1,000 miles on it. I decided to have it patched from the inside insteal of plugged.

Well, the "tech" damaged my wheel. The area where the wheel studs go through and mount the rim is now scratched up.

I spoke with the store manager of the store who is copping an attitude and denying it. The only two rebuttals I gave him is why would anyone have any reason to remove the rim on a brand new car? Why is the damage only on the rim your employee removed?

So the manager is asking what it will take to make it right, I told him I want a new rim. He tells me that's impossible. I said you asked me what will make it right, I tell you, then you tell me it's impossible. He said well the rim can be repaired for $100 and he'll have to contact his insurance. I said contact the insurance, but I don't want a repair.

I asked him why he's not taking pictures and he told me he doesn't need to and he's seen the damage. So I guess the insurance company is just going off of his word.... Probably not. He's most likely going to contact his boss so see what to do. If I have to go back there just so they can take pictures I'm going to be livid.

Putz.

Is it unreasonable to demand a new rim for a car that is a month old?
Old 08-14-2010, 10:57 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
Since it is a goodyear dealer, i would have it refinished at their cost at your choice of wheel repair shop. I don't see the reason to have a new rim.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:05 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
I think Goodyear stores are privately owned, but under franchise control. If you can't get satisfaction from the manager or owner, then contact the district office. They are usually helpful to deal with and may be able to help you out.

Terry
Old 08-14-2010, 11:10 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by Hapa DC5
Is it unreasonable to demand a new rim for a car that is a month old?
Yes, if it's only minor and cosmetic damage.
Unless you have a cracked or out-of-round wheel, you shouldn't expect a new rim.

It doesn't matter whether the car is new or 10 years' old-- the rims should be in the same shape before and after tire work.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:11 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

These stores are corporate here in Cali. I was just hoping for an apology "we'll make it right since you've bought tires from us three times in the past," instead I was met with resistance and blatant denial. That's not the way to treat a customer who was not angry walking in, just wanted to be taken care of.

Now I'm more upset then before I walked in, it should be the exact opposite.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:12 AM
Your mom is in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Usually in these cases, all that people get are repairs, to be honest with you. I haven't heard of too many getting a whole new rim.

I know it sucks, but just get it refinished at their cost.

But like Terry said, its worth a try shooting a phone call at the district office to see what they can do for you.

Good luck.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:18 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Originally Posted by Will Y.
It doesn't matter whether the car is new or 10 years' old-- the rims should be in the same shape before and after tire work.
exactly. I don't appreciate being treated as if it's my fault I trusted my car with them and that's why my rim is now damaged. WTF?
Old 08-14-2010, 12:03 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
I had a bad experience with Goodyear 3 months ago.

I bought a set of tires. I received two initially and one was to replaced a destroyed tire. So on the reception of the first 2, I went to a GY center thinking that they would be well tooled. First they tried to get some extra from me (we have to clean your hub but it will cost...). I almost laughed at them. Then a tech damaged one of my rim. They paid for it. They also damaged slightly the center hole of another one, paint is cracked. They told me that I was expecting too much. I argued and finally no cost for installing my 2 tires and the rim also repaired.

Never ever again, I will put my feet in a GY Center. The last 2 were installed at my BMW dealer. No problem, no damaged center and installation was actually cheaper.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:46 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

It's ridiculous, you should care about people especially people who are spending money at your business.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:58 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
They should repair it for you. Don't quit until they do. If they continue to be uncooperative, I'd report them to the BBB, on top of calling corporate.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:07 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Four words they don't wanna hear... Bureau of Automotive Repair. If the BAR gets on it, it'll get done. I'll give homeboy the benefit on the doubt even though I feel he doesn't deserve the chance.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:01 PM
この道は毛むくじゃらのマンコだらけ..

Received 219 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by Will Y.
Yes, if it's only minor and cosmetic damage.
Unless you have a cracked or out-of-round wheel, you shouldn't expect a new rim.

+1... quite unreasonable for just just scratches... Did you take any pictures?

Just find a super reputable wheel repair/refinishing place and take it there, making sure Goodyear pays for it.
Old 08-14-2010, 05:16 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Originally Posted by onebadna1nsx
+1... quite unreasonable for just just scratches... Did you take any pictures?

Just find a super reputable wheel repair/refinishing place and take it there, making sure Goodyear pays for it.
The car is a month old man. You bust your ass and work hard for what you have your shit gets damaged. You bring it to their attention in a polite manner and then face resistance all the way you'd be pissed too.

Put yourself in my shoes, I know you'd be mad.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:41 PM
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 371 Posts
I got my enkeis from discount tire. Special order.they dented in alittle bit one of the rims right around wear people get curb rash. it was done when they were balancing the rim. i showed the mgr and he got me a new rim. people you get rims and tires frow should take care of you like that but if it was minor scratches and they offered to fix it for free. i would be just as happy.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:26 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry, but I kind of agree with the other people. If it's just scratches, and they will repair it to make it like-new condition, I don't really understand what the problem is.

This is kind of to a farther extent, but it's kind of like your saying, "You scratched my car, buy me a new car." type of thing.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:45 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Originally Posted by TLperfection
Sorry, but I kind of agree with the other people. If it's just scratches, and they will repair it to make it like-new condition, I don't really understand what the problem is.

This is kind of to a farther extent, but it's kind of like your saying, "You scratched my car, buy me a new car." type of thing.
It's the whole way the manager went about it. He is held accountable for the actions of his employees. His reluctance, denial, and rudeness did not sit well with me.

The reasoning in my mind is this: I've purchased three sets of tires from your location over the years. You're not receptive to my concerns even to the point of denying your employee damaged it, so if you want to be a dick about this I'll demand a new rim.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:59 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
You can demand a new wheel, but you should know that the odds of that happening are slim.

If you don't like the way they're treating you, then I hope you'll speak with your pocket book and stop doing business with them. After you get the wheel refinished, that is.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
get it refinished and call it a day ... but make sure u take it to the refinishing shop of ur choice
Old 08-16-2010, 12:35 AM
ScoobyZINE

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
I agree on just refinishing.. BUT, I can relate with you and I would be HIGHLY pissed off. We all work hard for what few things we have and to see some one you are paying to do work on something you've worked so hard for, makes you sick. Makes you wonder how some one could be so careless on something you've got so much invested in. Give it a little time, esp after the wheel gets refinished, and guaranteed you'll shrug it off