Generally, how are Audi's?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 08:27 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
found it...

Based around the German car maker’s existing five-valve-per-cylinder 4.2-litre V8, the new RS4’s engine gains a host of lightweight internal components as well as modifications to the inlet and exhaust systems to help extend its top end and increase power. An impressive 425bhp is rumored – some 44bhp more than the first-generation turbocharged 2.7-litre V6 RS4 launched in 2000 and 61bhp up on the recently facelifted S4.
now how much??? and when is it available???
Old 01-19-2005, 08:39 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by teg_to_TSX
masmole, do you live in the near-south side (close to museum campus/ soldier field)?
Nope but my gf does so I'm down there alot. I live in streeterville and also have a place next to millenium park.

Originally Posted by YuppieCL
can someone tell me what a RS4 is.... and how much more it costs as compared to an S4.....?

also, what would be an educated guess as to when the new 2006 S4 comes out?

should i go to the dealer and put a deposit on one from now?
The RS4 is the ultra-high performance version of the S4. The previous RS4 based out of the previous B5 S4 never made it to the US unfortunately. It had a cosworth tuned version of the same 2.7T biturbo making 380hp. The new RS4 has been approved for US release but not yet announced. It will use a Quattro-GmbH modified high-revving version of the 4.2L V8 S4 engine with 4-valve FSI technology (versus current 5-valve). Normally apsirated, it will make at least 420hp. The new RS4 will also be lighter than the current S4 but expect a base price of at least $60K maybe more. Also expect supercar performance.

The 2006 S4 will arrive at dealerships late this fall. The RS4 probably won't make it to the US until 2007 even though the engine plant has already started production on the new 4.2L FSI engines used for it. Sucks but again Europe gets theirs first.

And hell yeah you should put a deposit now if that is what you truly want.

Last edited by masmole; 01-19-2005 at 08:41 PM.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by masmole

Regarding the spin you almost had on the freeway, that's not quattro that saved your ass but rather the ESP system that is standard on the 2.7T. Once a car's balance is out of whack and traction is lost on either axle and a spin ensues, AWD or not, the car is going to spin and there's not a whole lot quattro can do to prevent it unless you are highly skilled in recovering from a spin. In your situation, ESP kicked in and prevented the spin by doing a combination of braking on individual corner(s) and diverting power to specific corner(s) to counter the spin (or understeer or oversteer) as calculated by the ESP computer a million times a second. I know this from experience after taking my old B5 S4 to a performance driving school in which we switched off the ESP in a few exercises on spin recovery. If induced, my AWD S4 spun easily with the ESP off and it was one hell of a challenging task to manage. Quattro didn't do squat to prevent any spins that were induced.... all quattro does is helps improve traction so that you won't get in trouble to begin with or at least be able to keep the car more balanced on fast turns and transitions so that you can carry more speed into a turn and exit much faster than a car without AWD. But once a spin starts to happen (as you described a rear-end fishtailing at 75mph), that means you've already lost traction and quattro will do little to correct the situation as effortlessly as you mentioned. Quattro seems to be getting more credit that it's due because of this misconception. Give the folks at Bosch some credit for developing ESP as found on most cars these days because that's what really gets people out of a bind when roads are slick.
great post, the ESP traction control system saved my ass then! i am very impressed. ive had other vehilces with one form or another of electronic traction control, and have usually found them to be more annoying than anything else (the CL-S traction control comes to mind, it would activate and start holding back power at times or under circumstances that didnt quite make sense) but the ESP in the A6 seems to just sit there silently and only do its job when its neccessary. it would appear to me that the "quattro" name does get alot more credit and name recognition than anything else regarding the Audi drivetrains but i think it sort of goes hand in hand with the ESP, i mean if the ESP is designed to distribute power to any of the 4 wheels, its certainly a step above any traction control system on something like, say, a CL-S which is FWD and only has 2 motor driven wheels to work with. regardless, back on point to this thread. for those that have never driven an audi or are considering one, i highly suggest going to the dealer to drive them. the prices for used S4's and A6's are in a great range now, they also hold their value far better than the CL or TL (which seems to lose about 35-40% of its value in the first year and 15-20% every year thereafter....having owned one and sold one, i know this to be true, not to mention the countless threads here of people getting offered less than 15k for their 1 year old 2003 CL-S or getting offered 9 grand for their 2001 CL-S...ouch)
Old 01-20-2005, 10:11 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by jimcol711
regardless, back on point to this thread. for those that have never driven an audi or are considering one, i highly suggest going to the dealer to drive them. the prices for used S4's and A6's are in a great range now, they also hold their value far better than the CL or TL (which seems to lose about 35-40% of its value in the first year and 15-20% every year thereafter....having owned one and sold one, i know this to be true, not to mention the countless threads here of people getting offered less than 15k for their 1 year old 2003 CL-S or getting offered 9 grand for their 2001 CL-S...ouch)

very convincing argument. nonetheless, i'm almost convinced on getting an audi within the year. and its really not because the CL was a bad car, in fact i truly love my CL.... the resale value does suck, so i'm probably just gonna keep my car or give it to my mother. i want AWD, but it might to be really hard to sway me if a bmw dealer gives me a good deal on pre-owned loaded M3... i've been mulling the idea over for a long time now. i need a dailer driver, and the prior wont be as suitable as the S4. so the balls lays in audi's favor...

so i'm gathering from all this is that the Navi isn't as good as Acura's and you're pretty much screwed outside of warranty... i'm beat my cars up. my CL has almost 100k on it in less than 5 yrs. would audi hold up as good under such curcumstance?
Old 01-20-2005, 10:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by YuppieCL
very convincing argument. nonetheless, i'm almost convinced on getting an audi within the year. and its really not because the CL was a bad car, in fact i truly love my CL.... the resale value does suck, so i'm probably just gonna keep my car or give it to my mother. i want AWD, but it might to be really hard to sway me if a bmw dealer gives me a good deal on pre-owned loaded M3... i've been mulling the idea over for a long time now. i need a dailer driver, and the prior wont be as suitable as the S4. so the balls lays in audi's favor...

so i'm gathering from all this is that the Navi isn't as good as Acura's and you're pretty much screwed outside of warranty... i'm beat my cars up. my CL has almost 100k on it in less than 5 yrs. would audi hold up as good under such curcumstance?
beat up? in terms of what? driving hard? not taking care of it? modding?

there are tons of highly modified S4s and A62.7T's out there that dont have problems...much like any other car in this world, there are some exceptions and/or common problems but if you are specifically talking about the new S4 with the 4.2....there are virtually no problems whatsoever with it...that, and the fact that all your maintainance will be free for the first 50k, i dont see why you would encounter any problems...the reccommended oil change schedule for the audi's is 10,000 miles....im not all that comfortable with that so i do it every 6k with mobil 1. just take care of it and it will treat you good. ill never look back....audi has won me over for life.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
http://www.audiworld.com/forum/s4b6.html
http://www.audizine.com/forum/forumd...?s=&forumid=46
Old 01-20-2005, 12:07 PM
Suzuka Master

there are tons of highly modified S4s and A62.7T's out there that dont have problems...
I wouldn't say that. I would go as far as saying that every decently moddified Audi with the 2.7T has had problems. Would I give it up or stop moddifying mine?? Nope, too much fun to be had with an occaisional issue to deal with.

The B6 S4 is a different animal and does appear to be more durable. But there is some charater lost in going to the 4.2 V8:

http://www.audiworld.com/news/04/b6s.../content.shtml
Old 01-20-2005, 12:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by scalbert
I wouldn't say that. I would go as far as saying that every decently moddified Audi with the 2.7T has had problems. Would I give it up or stop moddifying mine?? Nope, too much fun to be had with an occaisional issue to deal with.

The B6 S4 is a different animal and does appear to be more durable. But there is some charater lost in going to the 4.2 V8:

http://www.audiworld.com/news/04/b6s.../content.shtml

youre saying EVERY 2.7T that is "decently" moddified has problems? thats quite a stretch. what do you consider "decently"??

there are dozens and dozens of members at audiworld with stage 1 chips (MTM, APR, GIAC X chip, etc), diverter valves and TBB upgrade and never had a problem...some have 50k miles plus chipped and never had a problem....now you go to stage 3 (K04 turbos, RS4 intercoolers, etc) its pretty rare to see guys blowing K04 turbos....i dunno man, we must read different threads or something.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:22 PM
Suzuka Master

youre saying EVERY 2.7T that is "decently" moddified has problems? thats quite a stretch. what do you consider "decently"??

there are dozens and dozens of members at audiworld with stage 1 chips (MTM, APR, GIAC X chip, etc), diverter valves and TBB upgrade and never had a problem...some have 50k miles plus chipped and never had a problem....now you go to stage 3 (K04 turbos, RS4 intercoolers, etc) its pretty rare to see guys blowing K04 turbos....i dunno man, we must read different threads or something.
I read the threads which have technical content.

Anyway, wouldn't even replacing the TBB and diverter valves indicate problems?? Also, why is one of the first things people are told to do when a possible problem is present is to do THE pressure test?? Those pesky platsic IC end tanks, albeit not as commong, go out on stock vehicles even.

This is not including the electronic gremlins which are present in many S4's.

Lastly, what seems to be a resounding response when someone asks on AW what to expect from an S4 (B5), is quite a bit of enjoyment with some problems (paraphrased of course).

Let me reiterate, I enjoy my S4 quite a bit and will continue to do so.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:47 PM
Banned

changing the TBB and the diverter valves is probably the most common thing people do with the 2.7T...its more preventative than anything....even people unchipped do it...it doesnt offer any real performance gain but it is known fact that the TBB is prone to failure so people just do it to avoid problems down the line
Old 01-20-2005, 12:51 PM
Suzuka Master

it doesnt offer any real performance gain but it is known fact that the TBB is prone to failure so people just do it to avoid problems down the line
Ah, yes, to avoid problems. So there are problems which, are easy to resolve, are prominent.

I replaced my TBB with the Kevlar reinforced unit and put in 710N's. My stock pieces were fine but I wanted to avoid future issues.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:59 PM
Banned

Ah, yes, to avoid problems. So there are problems which, are easy to resolve, are prominent.

I replaced my TBB with the Kevlar reinforced unit and put in 710N's. My stock pieces were fine but I wanted to avoid future issues.
did you chip it yet?
Old 01-20-2005, 01:39 PM
Senior Moderator

jim did you just say that the 2.7t is problem free?
Old 01-20-2005, 01:51 PM
Suzuka Master

did you chip it yet?
Have been for a while, welcome to last month.

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/changes-s4-164589/

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/comparison-dynos-dyno-dynamics-dynojet-293046/

Got stock DPs in my warehouse that I will make Piggy Pipes out of in the next month or so. I'm looking for a good buy on an exhaust as well and will have that done soon; preferably at the same time I install the DPs. I will also be porting the intake manifold in the next month as well.

This is all in an attempt to get as close to 300 AWHP with K03's as possible. Once they go, well you can guess...
Old 01-20-2005, 02:09 PM
Banned

did you get a physical chip installed or did you do the flashloader that they offer now? im looking at getting the GIAC flashloader so i have a better chance of getting away with a free turbo fix if they blow under warranty....
Old 01-20-2005, 02:13 PM
Suzuka Master

did you get a physical chip installed or did you do the flashloader that they offer now? im looking at getting the GIAC flashloader so i have a better chance of getting away with a free turbo fix if they blow under warranty....
Neither, I purchased an extra ECU and had them load the X program. Swapping the ECU was a 5 minute chore. That was the easiest 60 HP I have ever installed.

But it did cost me an extra $600 though.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:27 PM
Banned

Neither, I purchased an extra ECU and had them load the X program. Swapping the ECU was a 5 minute chore. That was the easiest 60 HP I have ever installed.

But it did cost me an extra $600 though.
see you are lucky, swapping ECU's in the S4 is just plug-and-play...with the 2001 and up A6, there is "immobilizer" and you have to "clone" a seperate ECU in order to do it....while the cloning software is free from APR, there is a catch, there is a code, unique to every car, that only the factory in germany has access to and your dealer can request the code if for example the cars ECU fries out or somehting and needs to be replaced, but the vast majority of dealers will not allow you access to the particular code so you simply cannot have the 2 ECU set up like you got going on. there are also specultions that IF you are able to get your dealer to obtain the code from germany for you, your car is "red flagged" buy audi and if it comes up for major warranty work, you will be denied. total nightmare....the immobilizer system was developed when they really began to crack down on people who use chips and try to sneak in warranty work.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:50 PM
Racer

Got stock DPs in my warehouse that I will make Piggy Pipes out of in the next month or so.
haha... piggy pipes!!.... haven't heard that term since I used to frequent the B5 S4 forum on audiworld.

On that note, I still have my original TBB with a nice tear on it... I keep it for sentimental reasons. It only lasted 2K miles after I chipped it and I have heard of them tearing on unmodified cars as well. Poor design by Audi. I have since used APR's fixed Y-pipe and it worked great for 40K miles until I sold the car.

Happy modding! The B5 S4 has great potential.... swap out the stock turbos for K04's and you're really talking serious power.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by masmole
I have since used APR's fixed Y-pipe and it worked great for 40K miles until I sold the car.

Happy modding! The B5 S4 has great potential.... swap out the stock turbos for K04's and you're really talking serious power.
I beleive you are referring to the APR Bi-Pipe. Anyway, yep the TBB fails but there are alternatives which seem to hold up better.

I am considering swapping out for K04's and do the requisite upgrade to the fuel system. But I may go custom with a pair of Garrett GT28R's which shoudl work better. I may also make my own ICs. But for now I will leave it with the Chip, DPs, Exhaust and PnP to the Manifold.

I'd rather leave my daily driver somewhat reasonable and focus on the twin turbo NSX project I am planning.

Enjoy your rides as that SLK55 is beatiful!!
Old 01-22-2005, 05:45 PM
Moderator Alumnus

beat up? in terms of what? driving hard? not taking care of it? modding?

there are tons of highly modified S4s and A62.7T's out there that dont have problems...much like any other car in this world, there are some exceptions and/or common problems but if you are specifically talking about the new S4 with the 4.2....there are virtually no problems whatsoever with it...that, and the fact that all your maintainance will be free for the first 50k, i dont see why you would encounter any problems...the reccommended oil change schedule for the audi's is 10,000 miles....im not all that comfortable with that so i do it every 6k with mobil 1. just take care of it and it will treat you good. ill never look back....audi has won me over for life.

i beat up my cars with mileage and hard driving.... as far as taking care of it goes, all i'm precise on is getting the oil changed.

i'm not a huge mod person, but i pretty much get the standard "plug-ins", if you may, without going overboard... for example, on my car now, i only have springs, headers, intake... I'm not sure whats available for the new S4, but i'd probably limit my modding a wheels, sound system, and a chip (or so i say).... again, i'm not into dropping serious dough on my car...

just the mere factor of me driving alot is keeping me from getting a more expensive car... that and i think i need AWD to deal with the NJ/PA snow....
Old 01-22-2005, 10:03 PM
go like hell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
personally I wouldn't go with them.
I've heard a lot of problems with turbo problems with Audis.

I'd wait a year on the new 2006 BMW M5. the M5 is gonna be bad ass.
S4<M5
but i've also heard multiple stories about guys picking up their Audis and being hit with a hell of bill(due to parts and labor prices)
Old 01-22-2005, 11:18 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Water-S

S4<M5
but i've also heard multiple stories about guys picking up their Audis and being hit with a hell of bill(due to parts and labor prices)

I'm in no position to own an M5... we're talking AT LEAST $25k MORE than an S4...
The M5 might be more comparable to the RS4 in terms of performance/cost anyway.... if anything, I'd compare the S4 to an M3 in those terms...
Old 01-23-2005, 12:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Water-S

S4<M5

05 S4 doesnt have turbos, im sure you knew that.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:19 AM
mio
Police

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stuckthrotle
Audi service and parts are $$$$$$$.
If my Audi got any problems, I don't need pay anything to fix my Audi,

coz it got 80000km, or 6year warranty.