G35 drivers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2002 | 04:50 PM
Racer

G35 drivers?

I know a couple of you have jumped ship on Acura and gone to the new Infinity. Any updates/long(er) term thoughts etc? Just curious. Tks
Old 10-31-2002 | 04:52 PM
__

just an FYI: it''s spelled Infiniti (no "y"). Not many people here get it right, so I felt that I shoul inform u guys!
Old 10-31-2002 | 05:13 PM
Racer

Originally posted by Acura3.0CLP
just an FYI: it''s spelled Infiniti (no "y"). Not many people here get it right, so I felt that I shoul inform u guys!
I'm sofa king we todd did!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-31-2002 | 05:17 PM
Senior Moderator

When I bought my CLS it was at one of those Luxury Mega dealerships. I was literally 15 feet from the infiniti dealer (and about 50 feet from the BMW dealer).

The G35c just doesn't do it for me. I don't like the looks, and the CLS is a better value.

I didn't need to buy a car right now, so I could have waited for the G35c or the Accord EX V6 6spd (or what ever the flavor of the week is).The Acura CLS was/is the best bang for the buck.
Old 10-31-2002 | 05:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

My brother has a G35 sedan...and it's the shiznit! I still like my CLS better though because it's got 6 gears!

Actually, the G35 is not too bad...metal body is thin though, so you need to be careful. But our car is not that thick either. The G handles very well, and you can tell with the near 50/50 weight ratio. When you take a turn hard, you don't really feel the weight shift and body roll like you feel in the CLS. The G35 6MT should be really nice, but something about the feel of the G35 doesn't really compare to the CLS. I guess I'm more of an Acura fan and I have gotten used to the Acura feel since I had a '98 GSR before. But then again, I've driven a '91 Maxima SE and an '87 and '95 Pathfinder SE as well.

Here is what I noticed between the two--

CLS Edge:
*Interior aesthetics much better
*Seats are more comfortable (once you have them set)
*Transmission is smoother
*Better engine/exhaust sound (stock)
*Trunk is deeper and a little wider
*Instrument cluster much better (3 separate gauges)
*CD changer much quieter and faster when changing discs
*Center armrest slides forward
*Better visibility (windshields and windows are much larger)

G35 Edge:
*Bose stereo/speakers sound much better (200W and has subwoofer)
*RDS on the stereo
*Dual Climate Control
*Auto up/down on all windows on all switches
*Trunk is taller
*Fog lights are nice
*Seats in the rear recline
*Moonroof opens all the way
*Better turning radius
*Lots of little storage compartments

Both cars are good. My brother really loves his G35 and I really like my CLS. Looks on both cars are questionable...either you like it or you don't. My opinion is that I like the front and rear of the CLS more than the front and rear of the G35. However, I think the side profile of the G35 is better than that of the CLS. Can't really compare the G35 sedan to the CLS coupe, I guess. But it's cool to see two '03 cars sitting in the garage though.
Old 10-31-2002 | 06:06 PM
I love my G sedan

I can only compare CL premium with G35 because we don't have CL-S. So far I like G35 more because I like the look of it more, and it has its own advantages and shortcomings:

1. Engine noise is a little loud at low speed compare to the CL.
2. The steering of the G35 is heavier that is not good for parking lot turning, I can not even turn it with only one hand, but stong people might.
3. The power is incredible, sometimes it will pull your whole body back to the seat just like some turbo car's turbo has been kicked in.
4. The Bose sound is way better than that of CL.
5. Suspension is softer than even the CL-P, don't mention CL-S, but you can't say this is shortcomings or advantages because people have different taste, by the way, our G35 doesn't have sport-tuned suspension.
6. It's kind of difficult to change disc into the in-dash CD changer for G35, compare to CL's smooth and easy insertion.
7. I hate the analog clock in Infiniti vehicles, it's hard to read and takes longer time to read.
8. I like the lighter doors of G35, because I think CLs are too heavy.
9. The foot parking brake of CL is difficult to depress, and it will bounce back easily, it doesn't happen to G35. But probably it's just the problem of our particular CL.
10. Don't like the trunk-opening button on the trunt-lid for the G35, but the new G35 changes back to the conventional "inside-the-car" button.
11. I am not so used to Nissan's way of turning on headlights and windshied wiper, I like Honda's way more. But this is no big deal.
12. The AC noise is louder in G35 I think, especially at high windflow.

I think in general I would still give higher points to G35 than 3.2CL.
Old 10-31-2002 | 06:30 PM
Intermediate

So far........... I have fun with Car everytime I drive it.

some pros so far!
The torque is really good in this car, at almost all rpms.
It handles excellent ( I have 18's on 225/45/18 Continental Sport) and I don't have sport package.
The passing power in 4th is unreal! This thing will hit 130 in NO time! (unlike my CLS)
Engine is really smooth and powerful.
Transmission gearing is better than CLS
Interior space is good compared to other RWD, entrly level sedans.
Take offs, on ramp mergers, and above 100 speed are better than my CLS. My CLS is one bad dude in 3rd gear, will keep up with it if auto vs. auto.

cons.
Need took make the redline a bit higher, perhaps at 7200 and add 20 hp. (maybe place the coupe eng. mods to the sedan)
Tranmission is gearing is better, but slower in auto/manual.
Interior is ok, not great. (did not buy it due to its interior)
Some weird placement of controls (we all know that)
Trunk space is a little tight (TL-S and CLS is better)
Torque converted is too sensitive, can't burn rubber, unless you use "brake torque" technique.
Some rattles hear and there, same as in my CLS when first bought.
I wish seats were more sporty, (like the CLS) but I know the TLS seats are not as sporty as the CLS either.
Infiniti service dept. is not as good as my Acura. (personal opinion based on dealerships used in So. CA.)

bottom line_________
I bough it for my wife and my new baby boy. They have fun with the car from M through Fri. I have fun with it on Sat and Sun. I still love my daily driver CLS, but definately I'm not going to buy another FWD car. Either it has to be AWD or RWD. So ACURA make your TL-S 04 AWD and I will be there with my check book tomorrow!

I'm out!
Old 10-31-2002 | 11:22 PM
Buckle Up

My friends dad just got the G35 coupe tonight. I pulled up to his house and the G35c was parking. It was so nice. The tranny is very smooth (auto). Just a nice car all around.