FWD CL-S VS Infiniti G35X in the Snow

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007 | 08:36 AM
Safety Car

even though Subaru's awd system might be older technology compared to others, they are the only ones rock solid on snowy roads. including others with full time awd.
Old 02-24-2007 | 08:51 AM
Safety Car

I had a loaded 1.8t with Sport Package.

No we don't get much snow here at all, especially my part of texas. Just lots of rain. If I had a real world test and results with a link I would believe you. But its opinions vs opinions right now.

For now until I see a real world test that compares all the AWD systems between each other with the same tires by a company we are all familar with like car and driver, etc then that will end this discussion.

For now, I am not gonna argue anymore. I just want to see real world facts.

Originally Posted by ironviet
Man I was trying to be nice but don't going implying that people are fools. For one I love your comparison between an Audi 1.8t which has what, 170 hp. Did you even have the sport package? An RL is in another league in your comparison. Most of your arguments are in wet or dry conditions anyways. I guess Texas doesn't get much snow so SH-AWD or other reactive systems are more than enough for you. Attesa and SH-AWD are similar to an extent differing in that the Acura can send 100% torque to a single wheel. The Attesa after that is almost just a backwards SH-AWD in a sense that instead of the car being front bias it is not rear bias which in handling is the better layout.

So anyways if you think that synopsis is in fact true, then you should check your facts before telling others too. I will tell you one thing for sure that whoever wrote those facts are straight out wrong. The quattro the link is referring to is the Haldex system although still under the companies AWD system name. Haldex is front bias for transverse mounted engines in Audi ie. TT, and A3. The rest is Torsen. Audi is heading towards the 40/60 split because they are trying to neutralize the handling characteristics. FWD cars understeer a lot, 50/50 AWD understeer slightly less, RWD actually oversteer in during quick turn ins, because of these laws of physics, the RWD platform is preferred for the pure driving experience. This whole thread is referring to ice/snow/sleet/ slush conditions not best dry performing AWD system. Both Attesa and Quattro are proven thoroughbred winners but I can't say that for SH-AWD. In the real world the condition in which you have no traction in 3 tires and demand the one tire to do 100% of the work to keep you going, you would be already heading for disaster worst than debating which system is better.
Old 02-24-2007 | 11:36 AM
Advanced

This is the best comparison I could find but it still excludes the Acura.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=3280
Old 02-24-2007 | 12:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
AWD, RWD or FWD. If the car lost traction in these types of conditions its the driver,

A. either driving to fast for conditions,
B. not having complete control of the car.

There are many things that could have influenced this accident, but blaming it on Infinitys AWD system shouldnt be one of them. How many RWD cars/trucks went thru that same area with out issue? Maybe id quit blaming the car and just be happy that your GF is ok.
My point is man, that she still has to drive this vehicle after it gets finished.
Did you ever think that I am inquiring because I am concerned for her "FUTURE safety" and take precautions so this doesnt happen again.

Also, just because I am talking about it, doesn't mean I am not concerned about my girlfriend of 6 years and her safety.
Old 02-24-2007 | 01:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by FiftyFive
Maybe you shouldnt be going fucking 65 in the snow and talking on the phone at the same time in inclement weather, asshole. Once a car is going that speed and begins to slip in the snow AWD or not, your toast. Next time stay behind the truck doing 30, and someone won't end up slamming into a concrete barrier.
Its hard to paint a picture of the situation you moron. The slush on the left lane was from trucks splashing it up from the shoulder. it had not snowed, freezing rained, sleeted, hailed, or rained in 2 days. So don't get on your high fucking horse and claim that we were driving too fast.

A state trooper came to the scene and we HONESTLY explained that whole situation that we were going 60-65 and he didnt say a thing. He didnt give her a ticket for driving too fast for conditions. He also examined her car to ensure that poor maintence wasn't the reason for the accident. (ie, bad tires, poor suspension, or mods)

So hmmm, you think we were going to fast, but the state trooper let her go without a ticket. That really makes sense, doesnt it.
Old 02-24-2007 | 01:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Donte99TL
You guys are doing 60-65 in the snow and you girl crashes then you blame the car...... I think you need to pull your head out and learn how to drive.

You are lucky that you girl didn't get hurt following your dumb ass.

60-65 in ther snow =
You live in San Diego, your tanned beach boy ass can't say a thing about the driving conditions.

Never once did I say the roads were snow covered. Never once did I say there was ice and we were flying back and forth in lanes.

For all of you who don't drive on highways, its safer to pass a truck than to stay behind it. A truck creates a draft behind you causing your car to move back and forth, therefore you need to adjust your steering more, hence a bigger chance to slide. I make a 500-600 mile trip every week for the past 2 years and never been in an accident. Both of us know how to drive and were not overconfident because she has an AWD vehicle.
Old 02-24-2007 | 01:50 PM
Does anyone read this

Originally Posted by pits200
You live in San Diego, your tanned beach boy ass can't say a thing about the driving conditions.

Never once did I say the roads were snow covered. Never once did I say there was ice and we were flying back and forth in lanes.

For all of you who don't drive on highways, its safer to pass a truck than to stay behind it. A truck creates a draft behind you causing your car to move back and forth, therefore you need to adjust your steering more, hence a bigger chance to slide. I make a 500-600 mile trip every week for the past 2 years and never been in an accident. Both of us know how to drive and were not overconfident because she has an AWD vehicle.
Plain and simple you are an idiot who needs to pull his head out of his ass and learn how to drive. Your girlfriend needs to find a man with a brain because it’s apparent you don’t have one.

And just because you make 500-600 mile trips every week doesn’t make you a good driver. Try taking some classes that actually teach you how to have control of your car. I have taken many that teach how to react in snow, rain and in the dry. I have also taken many performance driving classes.

I hope your girl finds a man that won’t put her in dangerous situations like you do. Better yet….. why don’t you send your girlfriend to San Diego where this tanned beach boy ass can show her how to drive.....and maybe some more after hour things that you are lacking in because I am sure your pale flabby ass aint doing nothing for her. I am done with you and this thread.
Old 02-24-2007 | 02:46 PM
Racer

Sheesh, there's no need to get nasty about this guys.
Old 02-24-2007 | 05:40 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
Sheesh, there's no need to get nasty about this guys.
Why not

Old 02-24-2007 | 08:09 PM
Senior Moderator

I had The G35x and FX35, I found the G35x to be far superior to the FX in the snow, mostly because of the tires, as I had Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires on stock 17" wheels with the G35, but had the steamroller 20's on stock Goodyears on the FX. Overall the car was great in the snow, I never got stuck, and it did it's job. I did not put snow tires on it either, we don't get that much snow around here that would suggest me needing them.
Old 02-24-2007 | 08:21 PM
Advanced

man i hope this doesn't get out of hand. i do think pits200 deserves the initial personal attacks since none of us were there. speeds of 60-65 is not unheard of because roads are sometimes clear even though there is snow present.
Old 02-24-2007 | 09:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Donte99TL
Plain and simple you are an idiot who needs to pull his head out of his ass and learn how to drive. Your girlfriend needs to find a man with a brain because it’s apparent you don’t have one.

And just because you make 500-600 mile trips every week doesn’t make you a good driver. Try taking some classes that actually teach you how to have control of your car. I have taken many that teach how to react in snow, rain and in the dry. I have also taken many performance driving classes.

I hope your girl finds a man that won’t put her in dangerous situations like you do. Better yet….. why don’t you send your girlfriend to San Diego where this tanned beach boy ass can show her how to drive.....and maybe some more after hour things that you are lacking in because I am sure your pale flabby ass aint doing nothing for her. I am done with you and this thread.

With a name like DONTE, that says enough about who you are..... I am not going to toss words with someone over the internet. You would figure at 35 years old that you would have some sense and think the same, but you obviously are stupid for your age, or you could be the smart one in your family, you decide...

And yes, driving 500-600 miles a week makes me a good driver. I wouldn't have a completely clean driving record (i.e no tickets, no accidents, no nothing) if I was a bad driver. I know when conditions are unsafe and when to sit back and not push the limits of a slick highway.

Figures that you arent married at 35, maybe you should spend some more time on Eharmony than on Acurazine. Now I am finished with you Donte..
Old 02-25-2007 | 10:52 AM
Suzuka Master

I know when conditions are unsafe and when to sit back and not push the limits of a slick highway.
yeah, obviously not hence the accident.
Old 02-25-2007 | 11:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mrdeeno
yeah, obviously not hence the accident.
Unfortunately, I knew that response was going to be coming, but I guess I did set myself up.

I don't even know if she slid on slush, I actually think it was black ice.

Also, I did not get into the accident, my car handled it perfectly with no slippage.
Unfortunately, her car has more torque than mine, so I feel her car just accelerated at the worst possible moment going uphill and caused her to start the slide.
Old 02-25-2007 | 12:47 PM
Safety Car

TQ won't matter if she wasn't on the gas. If she was accelerating on the ice then she is at fault. TORQUE only matters if your accelerating and she shouldn't have been in the first place.
Old 02-25-2007 | 12:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
TQ won't matter if she wasn't on the gas. If she was accelerating on the ice then she is at fault. TORQUE only matters if your accelerating and she shouldn't have been in the first place.
Do people actually read the threads in detail???

So she shouldnt have been accelerating going UP A MOUNTAIN prior to slippage occurring...

You realize that you can't make it up a mountain without hitting the gas. Maybe your TL has some kind of special function that you can magically go up a hill without pressing on that pedal on the right.

I mean, if she stomped on the accelerator when she started slipping, that would be another story.

In addition, its called BLACK ICE, so how can you know when not to accelerate if you dont know its there....

I could keep going on and on about your bad observation, but I am done...

This thread is pointless now,, Please close this Mods unless someone else would like to chime in..

Thanks for keeping it open for this long.
Old 02-25-2007 | 12:56 PM
Senior Moderator

^ actually shocked that you keep posting it in. I would have let it died off.
Old 02-25-2007 | 02:17 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Originally Posted by Crazy Sellout

and you know its bad when Jesal and I agree
Old 02-25-2007 | 02:56 PM
Race Director

I've driven my dad's 04 G35x and that thing really never slipped in the snow. Especially when I turned on the snow button. That thing was a champ then and I would never do it again, but I drove 50mph when the street was completely not plowed and no skiding.
Old 02-25-2007 | 03:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Crazy Sellout
True, but I had to make sure people got the story straight and I was bored from being snowed in.
Old 02-25-2007 | 04:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Umm....sorry to burst your bubble, but if you're talking about ice, or black ice, no FWD, RWD, 4WD or AWD will help you, you're pretty much screwed without snow tires in that case, BUT a FWD will do better than a RWD in terms of reaction and less likely to lose control. If your GF had the "SNOW" switch on, it only locks the differentials and gives you 50% front/50% rear up to a certain speed (I think 25mph is the speed, not 12 or 20), after that, it might go back to whatever it feels is necessary, so if she's driving on a non icy/snowy pavement, it would go back to the 30/70 or 20/80 or even 0/100 (front/rear) that it would be in normal conditions, and if at that second she went over some black ice, the car can't possibly react that quickly and alter the system to respond "on a dime". Bottom line, there's a reason why they call it black ice, and no car will ultimately save you from it.
Old 02-25-2007 | 04:59 PM
Senior Moderator

In addition, it seems the oem RS-A tires are of poor quality for snow driving and this could have been a factor.

....And now you know why my 2005 G35x that I had I promptly installed different tires on them (after 2 weeks of having it), because I knew how bad the stock tires were in the snow....
Old 02-25-2007 | 05:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Shoofin
....And now you know why my 2005 G35x that I had I promptly installed different tires on them (after 2 weeks of having it), because I knew how bad the stock tires were in the snow....
Can I ask what tires you used as replacements? Also, are they good winter tires as we travel in bad weather during the winter times. Unfortunately, we dont live in San Diego.
Old 02-25-2007 | 05:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Shoofin
Umm....sorry to burst your bubble, but if you're talking about ice, or black ice, no FWD, RWD, 4WD or AWD will help you, you're pretty much screwed without snow tires in that case, BUT a FWD will do better than a RWD in terms of reaction and less likely to lose control. If your GF had the "SNOW" switch on, it only locks the differentials and gives you 50% front/50% rear up to a certain speed (I think 25mph is the speed, not 12 or 20), after that, it might go back to whatever it feels is necessary, so if she's driving on a non icy/snowy pavement, it would go back to the 30/70 or 20/80 or even 0/100 (front/rear) that it would be in normal conditions, and if at that second she went over some black ice, the car can't possibly react that quickly and alter the system to respond "on a dime". Bottom line, there's a reason why they call it black ice, and no car will ultimately save you from it.
True, but your reasoning is what I was wondering. Wouldn't a fwd biased vehicle like audi be able to compensate better because it has power dedicated to all tires if the conditions weren't icy and instead were slushy/snowy.
Old 02-25-2007 | 05:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Can I ask what tires you used as replacements? Also, are they good winter tires as we travel in bad weather during the winter times. Unfortunately, we dont live in San Diego.
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. They don't carry the stock G35x (I think it was 215/55/17) sizing for that tire, I stepped up and installed 235/50/17's. Review: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ot+Sport+A%2FS

I didn't get them for their snow driving capabilities, I got them more for the wet/dry performance, but the fact that it's decent in the snow was another reason why I chose these over some others.

Also, I didn't have the RSA's on the G35x, I had them on the FX (OEM tire). I had the Turanza EL42's on the G35x, also a pretty crappy tire for the snow: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....l=Turanza+EL42
Old 02-25-2007 | 05:15 PM
Senior Moderator

True, but your reasoning is what I was wondering. Wouldn't a fwd biased vehicle like audi be able to compensate better because it has power dedicated to all tires if the conditions weren't icy and instead were slushy/snowy.
Yes, a FWD biased car will react better and give you more control than a RWD biased car, which is probably why you didn't feel it, and she did.