Future of Honda pocket rockets?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 02:19 PM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts
Future of Honda pocket rockets?

So, the new Civic SI is a HIT. I'm pretty sure the majority of the people on this site give 2 to the new civic. Now thats all fine and dandy, but lets face it, the pocket rocket market is making a comeback. Now we all remember the days of Eclipse/Integra/Civic/Celica/Teg/Prelude/240. Now its starting to come up again. The Neon SRT kept the drive alive, and although its being discontinued, we see the new cobalt SS smashing the RSX-S in performance comparisons, we've got the return of a REAL civic SI, the Scion Tc is in the building. I really hope this is the start of the small coupe rebirth. I think alot of the younger guys on this board got their honda/acura addiction from having one of these as their first or second cars. I think those were the honda glory days, when all the honda coupes were prancing around, the letter <R> never meant so much. That recent thread about good college cars really got me going through photo albums of my old 'Lude. I went over to vtec.net and looked at the model release matrix. There are rumors on a CRX, a possible Lude, and a possible CL replacement. This is excellent news IMO.

When that guy posted about giving up his GTO for a TL and I read what the GTO guys had to say about it, I felt pretty bad that performance wise, we couldnt even say a word. There used to be a time where you couldnt drive more than 15 minutes without seeing a modded Type-R teg or Prelude, or the secret worn down CRX that was really running 500HP. Lets face it, the K20A and A2 engines found in the current RSXs/Civs/TSX is a really stable, sturdy, reliable engine, but they're dont take mods nearly as well as the B18s and H22s of the past. In an effort to build reliable, technologically enhanced vehichles, honda lost alot of its edge. You can feel that lack in the RL and the current TLs. Smooth and fast, but not edgy. I think alot of the people holding on to their TL-S/CL-Ss instead of upgrading sense a mysterios rawness in it that draws them in. The same rawness that permeates throughout the S2000 and the NSX and the old Type-Rs/Ludes. If honda/acura played their cards right, they could really dominate the market. Cars like the TL/RL of now execute their missions absolutely perfectly, and I'm sure no one would be complaining about the lack of oomph in the RL or the hesitation of the TLs driveby-wire if there were other options to turn to. Its time for honda to get to their roots. I suppose this is more of a rant than a thread, but I'd like to see if you guys would rather see honda/acura turn more refined and upscale to fight with the likes of lexus or whether you'd like to see them enhance the little guys to dominate that market, bring back the CL and Lude to take on Zs and Imprezas and Evos, and leave the TL and RL at the top of the heap. Coming down to the question of Refined Sport or Refined Luxury. Personally, I think they'd be better off going in on the sport bit. With all this talk of a V10 NSX, and the amazing SH-AWD, it seems like an honest intention of performance is lingering in the thoughts of the big guys at honda. People always want to talk about how Honda only makes FWD/old people cars, but i'm pretty sure the boys at s2ki.com would get pretty outraged at that statement. The fact of the matter is that Honda needs to break out of its mold and do something, and I think the new SI, a possible CRX/Prelude replacement/CL rejuvination in addition to the practicality, steadyness, and all around balance of the Accord/TSX/TL/RL will bring Honda the dominant future that we all desire.

In the meantime, I shall continue to save money in my "Secret Fund," waiting for the day that I acquire a second car for less than $23k, boasting a honda or acura badge. And I look forward to the day when I slap on a bumper sticker that says "Its not rice, if you can back it up"

And on that note, I am finished. Good day fellow acura fanatics
Old 01-28-2006, 02:58 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,911 Likes on 2,614 Posts
If I could outright buy a 2nd car today. It would be a new loaded black/black civic Si. I just love that thing. Forwhatever it would get me to go with another FWD car which I kinda wanted to get away from.
Old 01-28-2006, 03:18 PM
To punish and enslave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honda likes to do their own thing, and I'm with them all the way.
Old 01-28-2006, 07:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
We need a CRX revival...The TRUE Pocket Rocket!
Old 01-28-2006, 08:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
Originally Posted by Shoofin
We need a CRX revival...The TRUE Pocket Rocket!

Honda Insight + K20A2 + RSX-S suspenstion/wheel pkg =
*...just have to get rid of that skirt thing over the rear wheels.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:02 PM
The Third Ball

I would love for them to bring the prelude back, smaller more to its 3rd gen roots.

Wont happen...but thats what I would like.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:35 PM
Pro

My vote is to bring the CRX to be exactly like it used to be. It can be Honda's own Mini Cooper. The Integra should come back, under the integra name, to fight against the civic. Because they're nothing better than a nice, goodhearted sibling rivalry. I'd like to see the prelude come back as a Z/Z4 Coupe car equivalent, with the CL as a G35/CLK equivalent. That'd be my dream..but i wouldn't know which one to get... ahh, gotta get them all!
Old 01-28-2006, 11:18 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TheAcAvenger
My vote is to bring the CRX to be exactly like it used to be. It can be Honda's own Mini Cooper. The Integra should come back, under the integra name, to fight against the civic. Because they're nothing better than a nice, goodhearted sibling rivalry. I'd like to see the prelude come back as a Z/Z4 Coupe car equivalent, with the CL as a G35/CLK equivalent. That'd be my dream..but i wouldn't know which one to get... ahh, gotta get them all!
I agree. Bring back the CRX -- "Welcome, Captain Midnight" (an ad slogan from around 1986 for the CRX). I know a guy who has an S2000 and garages it most of the time for his 1990 CRX with almost 200,000 miles on it. (Of course, when he breaks out the S, well... let's just say he knows how to drive it.)

The CRX is awesome and if Honda would update it for 2006 it would compete with any pocket rocket on the market. I also agree that bringing back an Acura model to compete would be an excellent idea.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:35 PM
Banned

If the Integra/RSX is dead like TOV says, then I want to see a new Honda Prelude on the market.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:54 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by M TYPE X
If the Integra/RSX is dead like TOV says, then I want to see a new Honda Prelude on the market.
I've wanted to see a new prelude since 2001-2...I don't think it will ever happen.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
RWD Honda coupe

Give it a next generation DOHC V6, DVD-audio system and price it at $27,000

Ok, so the Accord coupe really killed the Lude
Old 01-29-2006, 09:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
RWD Honda coupe

Ok, so the Accord coupe really killed the Lude
True! And the 6G Accord coupe was a totally different animal from the 5G Lude.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
RWD Honda coupe

I don't know why H/A doesn't realize that this would sell. Maybe they were soured on coupes due to the CL low sales, but that was mostly their fault in trying to market the CL to aging empty nester babyboomers...

G35c sells well, 3 series coupes sell well, heck Lexus is going to come out with IS coupe...

From the rumors of the "sub nsx sportscar", acura will probably screw it up and make an expensive mid-engine vehicle...

A cheap ($27-32K) v6 powered RWD 2+2 (w/ backseat) coupe would work for me...

As it is now, I'm looking elsewhere for my next car. Acura doesn't offer ANYTHING right now that interests me...
Old 01-29-2006, 09:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GreenMonster
I don't know why H/A doesn't realize that this would sell. Maybe they were soured on coupes due to the CL low sales, but that was mostly their fault in trying to market the CL to aging empty nester babyboomers...
The problem in general with marketing coupes is you either have to go for empty nester's or young kids just graduating from college. The rear child seat safety seat laws require parents to mount these big cumbersome kiddie seats in the back. It's easiest to do that in a 4 door or a minivan. It's possible to do in a coupe but far too cumbersome.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:01 AM
Banned

Anyone who really needs to use the rear seats often goes for four-door cars.
Coupe back seats are there for ... the occassional rare use only. Even if they can
fit real people (Accord Coupe back seats are comfortable).

Many automakers offer a two-seat halo car or some other completely impractical sport toy.
Few are putting out real four-seat coupes. The domestic brands that now offer them are few: Chevrolet, Pontiac, and Ford. Both Honda and Toyota have a small coupe (Civic, Scion tC) and a midsize coupe (Accord, Solara). Throw in the Infiniti G35 and some German cars.
End of list, really.

If the RSX is going because the market isn't there, don't expect to see anything else similar that's new in this area from Honda or anyone else. Nissan hinted at the possibility of a Sentra-based coupe with the Azeal concept, whatever that means. But if the Integra/RSX, Prelude, and 240SX are just gone because the automakers didn't have the resources to build new sport models at the same time as sedans plus one hundred million SUVs, then it's possible to see something interesting again.

Here's wondering what Hyundai will do with the Tiburon.

Greenie can check out the Infiniti G35. I don't know what Acura is doing, if they launch a real luxury coupe, it's going to cost as much as the G, if not more. And the price of the G keeps moving on up.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:03 PM
Senior Moderator

RSX is going partly because it "cheapens" the Acura brand. The marketing "genuises" are trying to upscale the brand as a whole, so it's time to cut loose those 27 y/o college graduates who are making 60k a year

Let 'em by a Civic SI...

Greenie will be watching the april intro of the G35C at the auto show very closely...
Old 01-29-2006, 01:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmmm.. you guys forgot about s2000. I think s2000 is a great replacement for prelude and I hope they continue with rwd/conv/more sporty car
Old 01-29-2006, 01:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by n3ok318
hmmm.. you guys forgot about s2000. I think s2000 is a great replacement for prelude and I hope they continue with rwd/conv/more sporty car
S2000 <> prelude... Prelude had 2 more seats

But if you combine a S2000 w/ a CLS and take the best from both and keep the price reasonable, I think Acura would have a winner. RWD V6 2+2 hardtop coupe.

One of the big reasons that I wouldn't buy a C5 Corvette for a daily summer driver is due to it's lack of a backseat... A porsche 993 is a 2 + 2 with a very small back seat, but it folds down to a package selve.

I might just give up on waiting for someone to make a lightweight cheap 2+2 RWD coupe, and just keep my CLS as a winter beater, and buy a used 1995 993 C2.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:49 PM
Pro

Yea, the S2000 is amazing. Too bad I can't fit in one. I tried, I was 3 inches away from getting one. I had test driven a 350Z and just didnt like its fat arse around the corners. Some people recommended I test drove the S2K, and I loved it to death. I just couldnt fit. Maybe they could make the prelude inbetween the S2k and the accord coupe, and give it a hardtop. That would be lovely. Oh, and its gotta have RWD
Old 01-29-2006, 02:46 PM
Senior Moderator

This is what I want in my Honda/Acura Pocket Rocket:

1) RWD
2) 6spd transmission as standard equipment
3) V6 power w/ 280-320hp (a small displacement v8 would be acceptable too).
4) 3000lbs curb weight (closer to 2700-2800 would be ideal).
5) 2 + 2 seating (fold down rear seats w/ full access to trunk instead of a small pass thru would be optimum)
6) Base priced under $35K (as acuras are typically equipped - navi and dealer add ons extra).
7) Sunroof delete option (Who needs a sunroof anyways, the extra weight up high raises the center of gravity).

Am I asking for too much ??

I think the only thing that could only come close to meeting these critera are merely rumored... Maybe if BMW introduces a M2 to the USDM based off of the 1 series, I might get about 1/2 of the stuff on my which list...

Hmm... now that I've looked at my list, I guess I just described a used 993 (cept for the pass thru and engine since it's rear engined aircooled flat six).
Old 01-29-2006, 04:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GreenMonster
This is what I want in my Honda/Acura Pocket Rocket:

1) RWD
2) 6spd transmission as standard equipment
3) V6 power w/ 280-320hp (a small displacement v8 would be acceptable too).
4) 3000lbs curb weight (closer to 2700-2800 would be ideal).
5) 2 + 2 seating (fold down rear seats w/ full access to trunk instead of a small pass thru would be optimum)
6) Base priced under $35K (as acuras are typically equipped - navi and dealer add ons extra).
7) Sunroof delete option (Who needs a sunroof anyways, the extra weight up high raises the center of gravity).

Am I asking for too much ??

I think the only thing that could only come close to meeting these critera are merely rumored... Maybe if BMW introduces a M2 to the USDM based off of the 1 series, I might get about 1/2 of the stuff on my which list...

Hmm... now that I've looked at my list, I guess I just described a used 993 (cept for the pass thru and engine since it's rear engined aircooled flat six).
I think the biggest problem getting your wish list will be weight. Not much under 3k today, what you suggest from anyone except Lotus is a pipe dream. The 997 weighs more as does the C6. With the price at 35k you are probably looking at 3300 at best.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:42 PM
Rooting for Acura

Received 1,765 Likes on 804 Posts
The pocket rocket is on a comeback? Naaa. I think the muscle car is having a better comeback than the pocket rocket. I mean, look at the Stang, the Charger, the GTO, the Camaro and Challenger (concepts). Not to mention the Magnum and the 300C which are not necessarily 'muscle cars' but does have that retro look without being retro.

I like what U.S. automakers are doing with the retro-designs. It is the best way (IMO) to compete against the sleek and powerful Japanese successes such as the Z, Maxima, TL, GS to name a few.