Ever watch a friend destroy a car you love?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 11:26 PM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
Old 03-10-2010, 09:08 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Well, since this guy's such a really good friend, the hunting trip is probably out. As much as it sucks, you're probably just going to have to deal with the fact that he's going to destroy the car. If he doesn't total it like some of his previous rides, maybe you can buy it down the road for a fair price, and then fix it up. Granted, it will cost you more to undo whatever further damage he causes than if you got it and fixed it now, but you'll still have your good friend and a nice honorarium to your other friend (as well as a testament to your love of GN's).
Old 03-10-2010, 09:58 AM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Some people just don't get it and they were never meant to have a nice car. You can tell alot about a person by just looking at how they maintain their cars.
I'm sure you understand and now that you have the car, it has a second chance.
If I ever sold my car, it would have to be to someone that lived so far that I would never see it again. Even my freinds tell me: Joe if you sell your car to someone local and we see it we would always say, "hey there's Joe's car!

Old 03-10-2010, 10:13 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
So very true. Average lifespan of a car is 1 year. A BMW M3 that was fiipped after 9 months. A supercharged lifted Silverado that was flipped in just over a year. An '89 TTA that was totaled and nearly killed him and now the GN. I was so proud of this car because we were really going to be knocking on 10's door with $1,500 in mods and a very mean tune.

It's truly sentimental to me, I think you remember when I posted that my friend died, this was the car. His parents want me to bring it by to see it again but I don't know if that's a good idea. I don't think they would believe it's the same car anyway. I noticed it didn't have a rearview mirror either. Found that in the back seat.

It's not the guy that owns the CL but we're all friends. In fact, the guy with the CL hates GNs. I offered to buy it for 20% less than what he bought it for but he refused. 20% was very generous.

It's really too bad with this bodystyle of car. It's already not the prettiest thing on the road but it can look fairly aggressive when clean. However all it takes are a few dings and it looks like a POS pretty quickly. With the front spoiler missing and all the dings and dents plus the rear fender trim gone and the rear bumper filler gone where you can see the ground between the bumper and tail lights it looks like a beat up junkyard car.

To some of the others..... This guy is a good friend and helped me out when I was down many years ago. I'm doing the same by paying to have the trans fixed. However, I wonder if I'm doing more harm than good since it was just sitting before and now it will likely be wrecked.

Brakes failed for a moment today. Pedal was rock hard when I went to stop for a yellow light. I had to floor it through the intersection. I really didn't think it would make me this mad since I'm not the owner but I've been upset all day.

This thread is like therapy for me....

Could you swap some stuff out while you have it? Like swap the interior, trade it up with some race seats & a roll cage which will give you an excuse to remove the dash as well, maybe trade up the steering wheel as well. Then remove the powertrain & trade it up for a small block v8 on juice.. make him think you pimped his ride. When his engine blows up the following day.. you could tell him you sold the old stuff to buy the new stuff. He might even sell you the shell.

I'm just assuming he doesn't know shit about cars for treating it that way. My only other suggestion is buying another GN and trading with the guy.. There's a guy local to me who is selling his two GN's or willing to trade even money for a new car 02+ that is street rodable.

http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/1604332700.html

http://austin.craigslist.org/bar/1604283926.html

also.. '83 T-type.. $2k

http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/1635255739.html

Last edited by Majofo; 03-10-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:18 AM
seizure force field!

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts
Not a friend, but the guy we sold the '87 Iroc-Z to traded the authentic Iroc wheels we had on it for chrome replicas. He added hideous exhaust tips to the flowmasters we had on it. He put Iroc-Z decals in the wrong location on the doors. Looked like there was a fresh dent on the passenger rear bumper, and he tinted the tail lights
Old 03-10-2010, 11:22 AM
Getting it Done

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
in for pics of car today! Nervous. lol
Old 03-10-2010, 08:21 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by ineedmyfixofacura
in for pics of car today! Nervous. lol
It looks like I'm going to get it back tomorrow. Kind of strange since I could literally pull a trans out and have the new one test driven on my lunch hour in one of these cars.... It's a 2 hour job for a newbie and it went in on Monday.

Anyway, I've got a race with my friend's Mercedes CL65 locked up if he doesn't back out again. He has the boost turned way up and methanol injection and according to him it pulls insanely hard. He talked a bunch of trash until I told him I was going to have the car for a few days but now he can't back out. I'm a little nervous but I should put a buslength on him out of the hole. Video of the race and the condition of the car hopefully tomorrow if everything falls into place.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:47 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nope cant say I have.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:18 PM
Getting it Done

ahh goodluck dude I'm kind of pumped now for the video lmao. Hopefully all goes as planned.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:45 AM
Burning Brakes

My dad had a MINT C43 dumped on three-piece Brabus Mono IIIs. Sold it to my brother who dumped it even more and threw on some Carlssons. He sold it to my brother-in-law who absolutely destroyed the car. Absolute shame.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:02 PM
Banned

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts
We have a term on the CL side for butchering a car... its called ''RichardParkered''
Old 03-14-2010, 11:15 AM
Team Owner

This thing is still on. The $700 torque convertor has a 1/8" cut all around the hub so we're trying to have another hub welded in. $150 vs $700 for a new convertor.

The friend with the CL65 is already backing down. I've never seen someone talk so much trash and then back down. He even sent me a link to the new record breaking fastest CL65 in the country yesterday I guess to intimidate me or something. It so happens it runs exactly the same ET as my car. Not too impressive for a $220,000 modded car.

The only way I'm going to make this happen is to show up at his house with the turbo car down the street and have the GF drive my TL and park it in front. Then have the CL guy start talking trash *in front of as many people as possible* when he thinks the GN is not there and then in front of all of the people let him know the race is on.

Thinking back, this guy had the nerve to tell everyone that would listen to him that his slightly modded 13.2 second 951 not only would outrun my car but it DID outrun my car. I lived in Vegas and made the trip to Bakersfield one weekend just to shut him up. I got him talking trash and then let him know which car I drove down. He started backing up again saying how the Porsche wasn't running right, might not even start, and it's slower than stock. His GF came up to me as soon as he walked out of the room and said 15 minutes before I got there he was giving rides to people to show them how fast the Porsche was.

Maybe I need new friends lol.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:18 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Money can't buy testicular fortitude
Old 03-14-2010, 11:24 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
Money can't buy testicular fortitude
Very true. I like to get out there and get it on even when I know I might lose. These guys act like life is over if they lose. But lying about a race, that's just low.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:00 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
This thing is still on. The $700 torque convertor has a 1/8" cut all around the hub so we're trying to have another hub welded in. $150 vs $700 for a new convertor.

The friend with the CL65 is already backing down. I've never seen someone talk so much trash and then back down. He even sent me a link to the new record breaking fastest CL65 in the country yesterday I guess to intimidate me or something. It so happens it runs exactly the same ET as my car. Not too impressive for a $220,000 modded car.

The only way I'm going to make this happen is to show up at his house with the turbo car down the street and have the GF drive my TL and park it in front. Then have the CL guy start talking trash *in front of as many people as possible* when he thinks the GN is not there and then in front of all of the people let him know the race is on.

Thinking back, this guy had the nerve to tell everyone that would listen to him that his slightly modded 13.2 second 951 not only would outrun my car but it DID outrun my car. I lived in Vegas and made the trip to Bakersfield one weekend just to shut him up. I got him talking trash and then let him know which car I drove down. He started backing up again saying how the Porsche wasn't running right, might not even start, and it's slower than stock. His GF came up to me as soon as he walked out of the room and said 15 minutes before I got there he was giving rides to people to show them how fast the Porsche was.

Why bother? You both claim each can outrun the other. So what? Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.

Terry
Old 03-14-2010, 12:31 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by teranfon
Why bother? You both claim each can outrun the other. So what? Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.

Terry
But the truth is this guy has never once come close to outrunning me in any of the cars he's owned. It bothers me that I go out and get the job done and spend the time and money when this guy lies to people that actually believe the BS. I would never claim anything that's not true.

IMO, why talk when both cars are sitting there ready to run? My friends are the type of people I hated racing because no matter how many times you beat them they have an excuse or a lie as to why you won.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:03 PM
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
That sucks, I get chills every time I see a GN. Shit I just got chills typing that lol.

I had a friend that ruined every car he ever bought or inherited was given.. etc They sheer amount of cars this kid destroyed was mind bottling They weren't in very good shape but a lot of them were iconic, unique, cool or just weird. I'll try to make a list, mind you none of these cars lasted more than 6 months and this was a period merely of 5 yrs, I've stopped talking to him a while ago.

I dont know most of the years but here goes.

80's Alfa Romeo, this car was awesome, lasted 3 weeks.
lincoln mk VIII
late model t-bird
2x wranglers
a micro bus
jetta
a 65' t-bird, this puppy was all original, inherited form his uncle and he killed it
Ranger- he fell asleep at the wheel on two occasions. I shit you not
Civic- Also fell asleep flipped it and totaled.
fiesta- this car actually lasted the longest and I even owned it for a while, thing was invincible

needless to say he wasn't very "with it."
Old 03-14-2010, 01:35 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Myxomatosis
That sucks, I get chills every time I see a GN. Shit I just got chills typing that lol.

I had a friend that ruined every car he ever bought or inherited was given.. etc They sheer amount of cars this kid destroyed was mind bottling They weren't in very good shape but a lot of them were iconic, unique, cool or just weird. I'll try to make a list, mind you none of these cars lasted more than 6 months and this was a period merely of 5 yrs, I've stopped talking to him a while ago.

I dont know most of the years but here goes.

80's Alfa Romeo, this car was awesome, lasted 3 weeks.
lincoln mk VIII
late model t-bird
2x wranglers
a micro bus
jetta
a 65' t-bird, this puppy was all original, inherited form his uncle and he killed it
Ranger- he fell asleep at the wheel on two occasions. I shit you not
Civic- Also fell asleep flipped it and totaled.
fiesta- this car actually lasted the longest and I even owned it for a while, thing was invincible

needless to say he wasn't very "with it."
We should put him and my friend on a closed course and let them drive.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
When the S2000 first came out, a universally despised moron on the base grabbed a black one. Within a month it had been dented and scratched in every direction, towed and I suspect vomited in.

It was a mess and to this day I get annoyed thinking about it.
Old 03-14-2010, 02:57 PM
Disinformation Terminator

It sure seems that way from the outside looking in.....
Old 03-14-2010, 03:00 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
But the truth is this guy has never once come close to outrunning me in any of the cars he's owned. It bothers me that I go out and get the job done and spend the time and money when this guy lies to people that actually believe the BS. I would never claim anything that's not true.

IMO, why talk when both cars are sitting there ready to run? My friends are the type of people I hated racing because no matter how many times you beat them they have an excuse or a lie as to why you won.
Then I really wouldn't worry about it. I'd let them say what they want. Obviously they won't run you because they're concerned about the outcome.

One of my GN's was a consistent high ten second car. It "lost" more races that it actually ran. I didn't let it bother me. The offer was always open to those who wanted to run to make the short trip to the track, and those who talked the most never did bother to make the trip.

Terry
Old 03-20-2010, 04:20 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by teranfon
Then I really wouldn't worry about it. I'd let them say what they want. Obviously they won't run you because they're concerned about the outcome.

One of my GN's was a consistent high ten second car. It "lost" more races that it actually ran. I didn't let it bother me. The offer was always open to those who wanted to run to make the short trip to the track, and those who talked the most never did bother to make the trip.

Terry
Hell may have frozen over but the race went down finally.

So to recap, factory stock GN from the throttlebody down, large turbo and intercooler and fuel system plus methanol. 28psi and a mean tune.

Brabus CL65 with the boost turned up, a tune (Brabus lol) and methanol injection.

I got everyone together for a trip down to Sonic to cause some trouble. I ended up in my TL.

First race was from a dig. GN on drag radials, CL with the computer aids and regular 285 tires. No contest from a dead stop, GN took it bad enough that they didn't finish the whole run.

Second race was from a 45mph roll. This was was a bit closer. CL floors it first from about a carlength behind, GN floors it and the CL pulls a car ahead. GN comes on full boost with the drag radials screeching, hangs even with the CL for a second and then goes around him.

The whole time I'm digging into my pockets trying to get my cell out to record everything. But the good news is I have the car for a while trying to fix the many things that are wrong with it so I'm sure a rematch is around the corner.

When we pulled into Sonic I was in the back of the line so I heard most of the comments. People commented on the GN first and then the concensus was that the twin turbo V12 Mercedes would win lol.

One guy I could hear talking crap about both cars to his friends saying I should teach them a lesson or something to that effect. So I encouraged my friends to park right next to this group. Car was a heads/cam/nitrous/tire Vette and a nearly identical Ws6. These guys wouldn't even look at us once we parked there. Sucks because it might've been some good racing.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:57 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 986 Likes on 530 Posts
I like it. And the CL is going to have torque like nobody's business, so I can see it being good above the 100 mph mark.

All told OP, you GN is badass and I want one. Loved them as a kid and still do.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:59 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mrmako
I like it. And the CL is going to have torque like nobody's business, so I can see it being good above the 100 mph mark.

All told OP, you GN is badass and I want one. Loved them as a kid and still do.
It does have torque. This one put down nearly 700lbs at the wheels.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:04 PM
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Some people don't realize what they are doing and how great what they have is...that could be your answer?
Old 03-20-2010, 11:12 PM
Getting it Done

Nice I still can't believe i never heard of the "GN" in till I met you on here! What a kick ass car.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts
Wait, so who drove the GN? Since you said you ended up in your TL? Nice outcome either way, I can't understand people who always find the excuse to keep talking smack and keep face. I just can't.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:47 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by n1njai
Wait, so who drove the GN? Since you said you ended up in your TL? Nice outcome either way, I can't understand people who always find the excuse to keep talking smack and keep face. I just can't.
The owner ended up driving the GN. I usually drive it for the money races but this was more for fun and bragging rights. Mine is still down after an incident with a ZR1.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:33 PM
Getting it Done

The owner ended up driving the GN. I usually drive it for the money races but this was more for fun and bragging rights. Mine is still down after an incident with a ZR1.
OH is it really? When do you plan to have yours up and raping...I mean running again?
Old 03-22-2010, 12:38 AM
Disinformation Terminator

Any reason this can't be settled at a proper dragstrip with professional timing equipment?
Old 03-22-2010, 12:50 AM

Damn you mean you haven't gotten new shafts in yet.. good luck finding beefier shafts and getting that bad boy back on the road. I definitely understand though..

Talk about a spanking though, I wonder if the CL could hang with the ZR1 up top.. btw, what driving habits of friend could you notice that might be killing the trans?
Old 03-22-2010, 11:40 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TheMirror
Any reason this can't be settled at a proper dragstrip with professional timing equipment?
It was a miracle to get these two to line up against each other while we were caravaning much less to meet at the strip. Don't worry, this was not done in traffic, there's a mile long stretch where it goes slightly out of town through farm land and then turns to go back toward town.

All of us rarely run full out on the street. I'll usually do a quick 0-60mph run and never go above 10psi (maybe 1/3 throttle) if someone is antagonizing me. The only time in the past 3 years I've even launched hard was against the ZR1.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:55 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Majofo
Damn you mean you haven't gotten new shafts in yet.. good luck finding beefier shafts and getting that bad boy back on the road. I definitely understand though..

Talk about a spanking though, I wonder if the CL could hang with the ZR1 up top.. btw, what driving habits of friend could you notice that might be killing the trans?
They're sitting in storage with the car. I just don't have the time or money to keep it going anymore. If install the axles I know I'm going to start putting tons of money toward it again so I figure as long as it's down I'm not tempted. It usually takes someone talking crap locally to make me bring it out again.

CL vs ZR1 up top..... That would be interesting. I believe top speed on the CL is over 200mph but I have no idea who would get there first. I think it would pull my friend's GN pretty bad past 130mph. The thing with the GN is it's awesome off the start, hits second and pulls hard with the drag radials screeching but what surprises people is when it hits third it does not let up one bit, it feels like it sets you back even harder once the engine is loaded down and back in the powerband. Tires screech the entire way through third so I take that as an indicator I'm not totally off base. But the problem is you stretch third out to 120+mph and hit 4th and it falls on it's face. It's just not geared for top end.

The Mercedes just pulls and pulls and pulls. Where the GN just falls on it's face the Mercedes has a much more linear falloff as speed increases but it doesn't fall off much. If the owner would put it on tire and turn off the electronic nannies I would guess it's a deep, deep 11 second car.

I would love to set up a race with a ZR1 vs CL65 but I haven't seen a ZR1 locally since I raced one a long time ago. The CL is currently getting the boost raised even more and more than likely a turbo upgrade. They're starting to show diminishing returns past 11psi and 680rwhp. It's getting a larger heat exchanger for the intercoolers but the intercoolers themselves may have to go too. We've been running a very large shot of methanol on it to try and make up for the intercoolers' shortcomings. I just enjoy being able to work on things that I'll never be able to afford.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:43 PM

big werd to that..