Ever heard of a Car Buying Concierge?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 07:37 PM
Too much chrome

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ever heard of a Car Buying Concierge?

I just read this article on edmunds, explaining how a Car Buying concierge can save you thousands on a new or used car:

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying...6/article.html

Has anyone ever heard of, or used one before? Good experiences, bad? Sounds too good to be true!
Old 10-28-2008, 07:51 PM
has Gloryhole Girls in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
interesting
Old 10-28-2008, 08:39 PM
Uses turn signals in my

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We used one (atleast something similar) for my cousin's civic. It was USAA's car buying service and it was a great experience. We went online, picked the car, color, and options. After that we received a call from the car buying service's approved dealership to go pick up the car for the price set on the website. We got it for a couple of hundred over invoice without any negotiations or b/s.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:22 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
I got the '99 TL (used) through a car wholesaler - basically via someone like Shoofin and this concierge idea. A handful of other people in my family have used him to buy new and used cars over the years and found his prices were always lower than the numbers they were presented at numerous dealers.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:45 PM
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
that's like the ultimate car salesman. Just think about that, he's selling you a car after negotiating with another salesman. I know that sounds simple but you've got to be damn good to make a living doing that. I've heard of companies that sell your car, but this is news to me.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
The main difference between his operation and mine is that he collects a commission from the customer, while I get the commission from the dealer. I do all the negotiating with the dealers for the best prices, and find what the customer is looking for. As for everything else that he does, I do the same, if not more. I deliver door to door, go over all paperwork with the customer so they know what they are signing, and take the time to show them everything about the car inside and out. I pretty much know everything about 90% of the cars on the road from my experience of having to show everything to my customers. I'm a service business, that's what I do...
Old 10-28-2008, 10:07 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Interesting, do these services also work on the sale or trade in of your previous car? I'm kind of getting tired of following autotrader looking for what I want, comparing prices etc it might be nice to try something like this out.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:13 PM
Drifting

I'm in the service industry as well, I was thinking of it more as, for someone to get repeat business doing this concierge thing, he's really got to make sure the car is okay, possibly without ever seeing it, now maybe these guys does check out every car. idk

See I'm just a regular concierge so I'm used to being able to give a 90-100% obtainable satisfaction level. Not that you ever can be perfect, but selling cars over the phone, if that's what it effectively is...is scary.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by The Dougler
Interesting, do these services also work on the sale or trade in of your previous car? I'm kind of getting tired of following autotrader looking for what I want, comparing prices etc it might be nice to try something like this out.
The person I (and my family) used does. It worked just as Shoofin described... You tell him what you're looking for, he gets all the paperwork, delivers the car to you, goes over the car with you, etc, etc. He can also try to find buyers for your car (either personal buyers, other clients, or dealers), and pick up that car when you're through with it as well.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Street Spirit
The person I (and my family) used does. It worked just as Shoofin described... You tell him what you're looking for, he gets all the paperwork, delivers the car to you, goes over the car with you, etc, etc. He can also try to find buyers for your car (either personal buyers, other clients, or dealers), and pick up that car when you're through with it as well.
I also a licensed NY State dealer, so I do have the ability to buy/sell trades/used cars. If the car not for me, I have a few wholesalers that I share inventory with and would just give it to them to unload.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:12 PM
Drifting

ok so, this is basically what you do then shoofin? I've thought a lot about getting into car sales, but I always wonder how ruthless it is? as in how hard is it to pick up? I've sold a bunch of my own cars, extremely quick always over book and my current job has given me a lot of custom service skill, to say the least. Should I go for it?
edit; I guess I should have PM'ed you...whateva
Old 10-29-2008, 10:52 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
hmmmm, sounds like it would really be an ideal service for people with limited time.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by The Dougler
hmmmm, sounds like it would really be an ideal service for people with limited time.
Yep...you pretty much never have to leave the house. He gives you all the pricing and info, and then brings you the car (if you want) + paperwork when he's found what you want.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Shoofin
I also a licensed NY State dealer, so I do have the ability to buy/sell trades/used cars. If the car not for me, I have a few wholesalers that I share inventory with and would just give it to them to unload.

I believe he does this as well, but as a separate company.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:59 PM
Senior Moderator

I believe he does this as well, but as a separate company.
No, it's the same company....

Originally Posted by myxomatosis
ok so, this is basically what you do then shoofin? I've thought a lot about getting into car sales, but I always wonder how ruthless it is? as in how hard is it to pick up? I've sold a bunch of my own cars, extremely quick always over book and my current job has given me a lot of custom service skill, to say the least. Should I go for it?
edit; I guess I should have PM'ed you...whateva
It's up to you. My job is all about service, service, service.

A customer calls me up and says they are looking for, say a 7 passenger SUV between 5-700 per month. I give them a few ideas (e.g. GX470, Q7, X5, MDX, etc...), and leave them with that. If they want more precise numbers I work it up however they want it(tax upfront or included, bank fee upfront or included, how many months, how many miles, etc..). Once they decide what they want, I get more info, colors, options, etc...I network with dealers all over and find the car that they are looking for. A business like this is good for someone who doesn't have time to shop the crap out of 5 different cars from 5 different dealers, They make one phone call, I do everything, including calling their insurance company to add the car on their policy, I pick it up from the dealer and deliver it to their home or work, or wherever they choose. I spend the time to go over all of the paperwork with them, as well as go over every detail of the car. No surprises, no hassle, no haggle. No finance managers that are going to try to sell you something you could care less about, no surprises that the car you want has aftermarket accessories added to it, nothing of that sort. It's all about service and convenience. In my community where I do most of my business there are a lot of companies like mine, but my company surpasses all of them in service because of how thorough I am with doing a deal with a customer, and how honest and straight forward I am with them. I say this only because I hear it from my customers all the time. They want to get it from me because my service is the best. Some have even gotten better prices (by a small amount, not a significant amount) from my competition but choose to get it from me because of the outstanding service I provide. One thing I've learned was, "The best price doesn't mean you're getting the best deal". This is something I stand behind. You can get the best price from a dealer, but the worst experience, that doesn't mean that you're getting the best deal. You want to be sure that should something go wrong or you have any problems, they are always there for you. That is what I am all about.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:07 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 999 Likes on 536 Posts
This is very similar to the guy I use here to get cars, but this is through the Japanese auction process.

The cars here are very cheap on the used market, so there are good deals to be had. So the process is I basically give him all of the details of the car I want. He goes to auction (either on line or in person), and gets the car. The variables come down to features. I really wanted a 6 speed, but settled on an auto. No big deal. The final tally meant I saved about 50% from the new price for something 2 years old with 12K miles on it.